• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Hopefully, this will teach developers that multiplayer is not mandatory for every game out there and it's typically a waste of time unless you are an FPS/fairly popular shooter, fighter or even a sports game. The multiplayer resources could of went somewhere else into the game. Online is a ghost town already? Really? I knew online wasn't going to be huge in TR, but wow.

I finished the game and absolutely loved it, especially the last climbing sequence (wow Jason Graves wow just what wow), and I need a sequel, well, yesterday would have been good. Hopefully they can do this kind of presentation next-gen with the same attention to, well, everything about it. Everything about it just really worked for me and I finally gave a shit about Lara Croft.

What I don't give a shit about is the MP. Just terrible. Stop it.

D23

rented this from redbox and beat it in a day
amazing
amazing game!!

i had just finished Uncharted 3 prior on beating this and WOW this game is 1000000000000000000000000000000 million times better than uc3, the combat is so much more fun and more fluid, especially the aiming!

i cant wait for tomb raider 2 for next-gen, crystal dnyamics did an amazing job

i will definitely buy this game so i can support crystal dynamics!

derFeef

Finally finished the game last night (with 74% completed, I will collect stuff later).

I really liked the last section, traversal was at it's best and should have been more of the focus during the whole game. The action was okay but a little bit too much - and far too easy / predictable - would have loved some more "supernatural" enemies like we saw in the early leaks. No survival aspects which is a bit of a shame but the scope of the game did not allow it I guess. Upgrades and the Skillsystem felt tacked-on as it's not a "real" open world game - you progress through it and there is no meaning to the skills as enemies stay the same throughout. Tomb's were a joke... nothing more to say about that.

The pacing was fantastic I felt, no real lows that dragged much. Story and characters were sadly pure stereotype garbage, I hope CD improves on that the most - or just do not give a damn. The "puzzles" in Uncharted were much better realized with the booklet etc. Lara just goes "oh.. and this must be this, so that's clear it's that!". Would have been neat to discover some mystery during the game for myself and not let Lara spill it out just like that.

I enjoyed it despite the shortcomings - I hope they improve some of my naggings I have for the sequel.

Not sure if already posted.

From the TR Forums:

tomblover said:
I apologize if these have already been posted, but I was browsing Tumblr and ho:

Demolition

tumblr_mlb37fvOom1qk6tj5o1_1280.jpg

Sure Shot

tumblr_mlb37fvOom1qk6tj5o3_1280.jpg

Mountaineer

tumblr_mlb37fvOom1qk6tj5o2_1280.jpg

I've made it to Shantytown now, how far into the game am I? Halfway through?
I made a seperate save file at the start of Shantytown in order to get some missable trophies, but is the best spot to get them later on in that area?

I can't really tell you exactly how far you are in the story. I'd say halfway.

I think that place is a good place to save for missable trophies. It's a good place for killing people off zip lines (there's this one specific area where
you are trying to rescue/save Grim
) and some combat trophies (not all, but a good farm spot)

Just finished this game a minute ago and I can say that I really enjoyed it. I hope that there is a sequel planned. I like it more than Uncharted 3. What were SE's expectations for the game as far as sales are concerned? What has it sold so far?

MrDenny

Started playing this after I finished RE6.
Enjoying it a lot so far, far superior gameplay/controls than RE6.
Have yet to finished uncharted 3, but enjoying it more so far.
I was so sick of drake climbing everything he saw.

How can something with THIS budget/development time, have such a terrible story AND characters.
I just got to
the forest after the chopper crash
and i'm forcing myself to finish it.
Doesn't help either that the game basically goes full-on Uncharted wannabe at a certain point and isn't at all concerned with leaving behind it's solid opening/mechanics.

I finished this a couple days ago and thought it was pretty good. The writing is terrible. The characters are like characters from a B horror movie. Especially the bumbling professor dude, what an atrociously written character.

I was surprised by how much I liked some of the later uncharted-y sequences(the one with the parachute that we saw in the trailers is still dumb as hell though). They're absolutely preposterous but they work well in the context of the pacing of the game overall I think. I liked upgrading the guns and found the combat to be mostly be a lot of fun, and it felt great. wish the character upgrades were deeper and more meaningful. The collectibles were pretty good but I wish they were more mechanically validated; you get a little xp for them but it would cool if there were an entirely different skill tree dependent just on finding collectibles.

Also wish the world was a little more varied color/tone wise but for the most part it looked magnificent and was a thrill to explore and move through.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
did anyone else just buy this with the GMG sale?

man the first 20 minutes suck. everything wrong with gaming. super scripted, cheesy, over tutorialized, with a protagonist who loves to breath heavily all the time (very nathan drake).

DieH@rd

Banned

man the first 20 minutes suck. everything wrong with gaming. super scripted, cheesy, over tutorialized, with a protagonist who loves to breath heavily all the time (very nathan drake).

Opening section of the game is very focused on tutorial and forced storytelling. After 45minutes, it opens up and becomes one of my favorite games in a long while.

Great game.

Am I missing something or do the leader boards for multiplayer not work? They won’t show my rank....it only shows the top 10. Is anyone else having this problem? : (

And when you go to your stats in a lobby, it lists that I have 6 ‘trials’. Anyone have any idea what that means? I can’t seem to find out anywhere what ‘trials’ actually is.

Toa TAK

Banned
I have some spare points, and was wondering if the 1939 map pack was any good? I still need to buy everything for that "Shopaholic" achievement, so I figured I might as well spend some time in multiplayer.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I was going to go ahead and platinum it because I enjoyed the game, but nopenopenope, don't want to sink my time into multiplayer.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I've made it to Shantytown now, how far into the game am I? Halfway through?
I made a seperate save file at the start of Shantytown in order to get some missable trophies, but is the best spot to get them later on in that area?

Arrived in Shantytown this past weekend, and my enjoyment of the game is nosediving with the sudden waves of enemies I have to dispose of. On top of that I'm now in an visually unappealing part of the game, whereas before I had such gorgeous set pieces to ooh and ahh at. I was loving the game up until this point.

I guess I'm part of the problem in multiplayer as I've yet to look at it.

Am I missing something or do the leader boards for multiplayer not work? They won’t show my rank....it only shows the top 10. Is anyone else having this problem? : (

And when you go to your stats in a lobby, it lists that I have 6 ‘trials’. Anyone have any idea what that means? I can’t seem to find out anywhere what ‘trials’ actually is.

Anyone? : (

Sullichin

I just bought it through GMG as well and I agree with these impressions of the first 20 minutes. I feel like the game is taking itself too seriously but the quality of the writing does not match the tone. I'm about an hour in and I'm starting to enjoy the gameplay. I really dislike the over abundance of QTEs though, and the fairly high frequency of shitty cutscenes. I hope the game eases up on that and just lets me play for a while because controlling Laura is very smooth.

Blinck

Started playing this some days ago. I've played around 7 hours or so.
At first I was loving it. I love the atmosphere, I adore the art direction and the love and detail that was put into the environments. I think Lara looks amazing and I even like the voice-acting by Camilla. I like the overall story of the island...the japanese lore and the whole cultist thing going on is really cool IMO.

But man, honestly, this must be one of the dumbest games I've ever played. I don't mean the story or characters. I mean the game design. It honestly feels like it was made for dumb people. There is absolutely no challenge in anything. The combat feels good, the sound of the weapons is amazing and all...but the overall thing is just pure dumbness.

Everything is extremely obvious, but as if that wasn't enough, they are constantly telling me to use the "Dumb instinct" mechanic. Almost all the enemies seem to love to take cover near a fucking red barrel, of which there seems to be an awful lot on this island, in the most idiotic places. I won't even talk about the puzzles that were made for my 4 year old niece.

All the hunting and gathering is absolutely basic, dumb, and virtually useless. There is nothing about it. You don't even need to do it. You kill an animal, you loot it, you get a little bit of XP so that you can invest in useless skills that will only give you more XP or salvage.

The weapon customization is pretty ok and I like that the weapons actually evolve through the course of the game.

The mini-challenges...I don't really know what to think about them tbh. They feel so displaced, but I guess they do add a bit of (dumb) variety to such a basic game.

I just don't know what is going on. It feels like every single mechanic in this game was dumbed down to the most basic and easy point they could get it to.

It's really sad, this could be a much, much better game if it actually had some depth, even if it was just a little bit.
I will try to finish it, but overall I'm just feeling really disappointed, and I doubt it will get any better going forward, since all these flaws are at the very heart of the game design.

bro1

Banned
On the PC, during the very initial loading screen, does anybody else have weird glitches, almost like artifacts? The rest of the game runs great except for that.

Sullichin

On the PC, during the very initial loading screen, does anybody else have weird glitches, almost like artifacts? The rest of the game runs great except for that.

Yeah, I get some weird stuff happening mostly on the right side of the screen during the screens before the main menu , but the game runs fine.

bro1

Banned
ok, good to hear. I hate when games try to look like there are interference problems as effects. makes me think my PC is broken

Just finished. Clocked in about 9.5 hours with a good 1.5 hours of that hunting down some achievements. I feel the general criticisms that have been leveled at the game are fair. I would have preferred more emphasis on tomb raiding and platforming rather than gun and arrow play. I feel the game suffers from the AAA must put the character in more ridiculous and extreme situations from one set piece to the next. It gets into extreme eye roll territory pretty quickly.

I did enjoy my time with the game overall though and look forward to another installment.

Yep. Had it too. Initially I too thought it was my GPU about to bite it. Then thought it might be be an in game "effect". Guess its neither.

Dunlop

How long is this game? Amazon has it sub $40 and I was tempted.
I'm firewalled at work but GreenManGaming had the game for $25 with a 20% off coupon to bring it down to $20 assuming you are talking about the PC version.

I was very impressed with the game itself and how well it ran on my older PC. It is not the same as the old school TR so if you are looking for in depth puzzles to solve look elsewhere.

edit: checked on my phone, sale is over..sorry

So if it's neither, then what is it? I think it's an effect.

I thought it was an effect but a friend of mine who also has the PC version said he didnt notice anything. I figured it was just a glitch.

Maybe he misunderstood or I didnt describe it well enough.

Seems like a bizarre choice to have that as an effect. Its not really stylish or anything. I had a screenshot of it when I had the game installed. Lost it since then.

AColdDay

I just started this on PC and I'm noticing that the colors seem super washed out, faded and grey. Is this a bug? Is there a way to fix this?

I'm playing on PS3 and the same thing happens. right at the first splash screen, and again during the animated part where the island pops into view on the main menu. Only lasts a second or two. I'm guessing it's intentional, as it seems to be on all formats.

bro1

Banned
Artifacts all over the screen after I went into the temple with the doctor. Nvidia 314.22 GTX 670 i5 3570K no OC. SUCKS BALLS

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I got stuck in an endless spawn of bad guy part in the shanty town when you need to get to the gate. After finally dying, it spawned me next to the gate and everyone was dead/gone. WTF? Are their invisible lines to cross to keep guys from keep coming? I must have killed 50+ guy easy.

No sure what to make of this game, it like it ripped of Uncharted without the good story and characters and Far Cry 3 without the sandbox. It kid of took the worst part from each of those games.

Fantasmo

Artifacts all over the screen after I went into the temple with the doctor. Nvidia 314.22 GTX 670 i5 3570K no OC. SUCKS BALLS

Dude, use the beta drivers 320 or whatever. Not only are they better for TR but they're optimized for TressFX which your card is totally up to snuff for. You crazy person you!

Top Bottom