• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I dreamt of a Demon's Souls remaster...

Necron

I probably played too much Dark Souls 2 over the last few weeks (only game in the series I haven't played yet) and eagerly awaiting The Ringed City DLC for Dark Souls 3, but on my way to work today, I wondered how a Demon's Souls remaster would look like on the PS4. I then realised that this title is eight years old already since its initial release.

So if Demon's Souls would be remastered what kind of changes (if any) would you make to the game? Should a 6th Archstone be included? Should certain things from Dark Souls/Bloodborne be included or not? Additionally, what were your favourite moments in Demon's Souls when you first played it? Did you play it prior to Dark Souls and Bloodborne or after?

Back then I probably did the same mistake of many: I played it for a bit of it and then gave up on it pretty early on. Not until I played Bloodborne did I realise that I may have judged it unfairly, possibly have made a mistake by just shelving it after a few hours. In retrospect, it's a shame it took me many years to realise why people were drawn to this series in the first place. It would have probably made an even greater impact on me if I'd have completed it back then. Some of the highlights for me were: feeling utterly terrible dealing with Maiden Astraea and the whole Tower of Latria section. These enemies still scare me:

DemonsSouls-2-1_Mindflayer_crit_3_lift_590x333.jpg

This is my 1st thread here on NeoGAF, please go easy on me...

Apologies for any spelling mistakes/grammatical errors.

Robot Pants

I don't want any changes aside from graphical facelift.
I don't even want the 6th archstone.

All new changes and additions will more than likely just bring about more problems and the 6th archstone would be underwhelming.

dugdug

Banned
So if Demon's Souls would be remastered what kind of changes (if any) would you make to the game? Should a 6th Archstone be included? Should certain things from Dark Souls/Bloodborne be included or not? Additionally, what were your favourite moments in Demon's Souls when you first played it? Did you play it prior to Dark Souls and Bloodborne or after?

I played Demon's Souls first, and, I'll never be comfortable enough to say for sure, but, many people say "your first Souls game is your favorite" and that remains true for me.

My instinct is to say, I wouldn't change anything. Just give it to me in 60FPS/1080p. But, I think the World Tendency system would either need to change or be explained more efficiently.

If they did a remaster I'd like them to change:

- The amount of healing herbs...the game had like 5 or 6 different types, whch was just unnecessary.

- Let you use multiple consumable items at once...having to equip souls if you wanted to use a bunch of them right then and there got annoying pretty fast.

- I really don't mind the Item Burden and think it should stay in a Remaster, but don't just let unique items disappear forever just because you were already carrying too much.

- Also, World Tendency...now the concept behind it should definitly stay but they could revamp a few things...not having it reset to the average value between all players whenever you load your save when playing online for example. That just actively disencouraged you from online play when you wanted to fool around with the various tendencies.

gdt

I remember people hyping this game up. I remember that first OT, subtitled Demon's crack or something like that. Got the game.....played it for awhile but I didn't get it. Put it down for a month or so then came back to it then it clicked like a mother fucker. Beat it then replayed it.

Then the hype cycle for the goat, Dark Souls started happening. Been in love ever since.

No changes. Maybe kill the inventory weight limit, and the world tendency thing. Thats it.

Edit: Obviously 1080p/4k and 60fps.

Fixnow

Neo Member
They need to fix world tendency balance and how everything was black because everyone kept dying over and over.

They need to completely redo the UI and fix all the exploits. Like half the bosses in the game can be cheesed, including the last one.

Acerac

Banned
Maybe change how luck works so that putting points in to it doesn't hurt your chances of getting rare items?

Pejo

My first Platinum trophy. Demon's Souls is still my favorite of the Souls games.

Would be instantly in for a remaster. 6th archstone or not.

latest

:bow :bow :bow :bow

Best Souls game (tied with BB+DLC) ever.

Best two Souls levels ever:
- Tower of Latria 3-2 (not 3-1)
- Valley of Defilement 5-2

Biggest impact on new-age roleplaying gamers (not games) ever:

- no map
- no music (only during boss fights); not even ambient music/ humming as heard in Yharnam in Bloodborne
- savepoints after tough as nails boss fights
- losing 50% health after you die
- long-ass, maze-like levels
- no save & loading whatsoever - game constantly saves your actions and there is no going back (like MMOs). You cannot use an item to see what it does and load back your save - the item is used forever.
- you can permanently kill shopkeepers by mistake
- one and the same currency for shops and experience
- no availability to sell items
- limited inventory (carry burden)
- limited equip burden
- vicious and relentless bosses: Flamelurker, Maneater

I mean... shit... look at the list above. Everything is AGAINST THE PLAYER yet the game is one of the best RPGs ever created.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I wonder if it's realistic to hope that we will see this, during this gen. Cause I sure am hoping. IMO it's a no brainer. Sony's basically sitting on an absolute classic beloved by everybody. Just do it goddamnit.

I would want them to preserve the in its exact state, except to get it up to 60 fps if possible. The game is pure, powerful gaming history. However, I do desperately want a port to the PS4, I just think there would be particular value in its preservation.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I hope so, remove the weight limit. Dreams can become reality.

Also, It will erase the bad taste DS2SOTFS has left..

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I swear we get one of these threads at least once or twice a month.

It ain't happenin' ya'll.

Even though I'd love it.

Jaraghan

I just started Demons Souls for the first time last night (the only Soulsborne game I haven't played). I have so far made it into a good chuck of the first mine area, after taking down Tower Knight boss.

The only suggestions I can give for a remaster (based only on the small amount I have played:

-less healing items. I am swimming in them.
-something feels off about the rolling. It is different than the Dark Souls series for sure
-make the bosses more difficult. The tutorial boss, Phalanx and Tower Knighy are the only ones I have killed, but they were laughably easy. Maybe because I already have Souls experience, but even still they feel like pushovers.

I wonder if it's realistic to hope that we will see this, during this gen. Cause I sure am hoping. IMO it's a no brainer. Sony's basically sitting on an absolute classic beloved by everybody. Just do it goddamnit.

Can you imagine playing through DeS with a fresh community? Summoning and invasions... oh man.

I would want them to preserve the in its exact state, except to get it up to 60 fps if possible. The game is pure, powerful gaming history. However, I do desperately want a port to the PS4, I just think there would be particular value in its preservation.

Yeah people asking for any changes except 4k/60fps are simply wrong.

A classic is a classic there is no need to "fix" it or stuff like that. Hell, would the same people change anything in Ocarina of Time or Super Mario 64? I doubt it.

Demon's Souls remaster must stay the same way it is now with weight limits, grassing, world tendency etc. It cannot be a reimagination of Demon's Souls for the new audience - fuck that. Git gud.

I'd want for it to be on PC with technical fixes for frame rates and hit boxes, that's all. And fix the goddamn pure bladestone drop rate. Also perhaps an ultra hard mode, with permadeath or something.

However, I'd rather a sequel than a remaster. Remaster the original Dark Souls, but make the next entry more akin to DeS.

Kudo

Agreed, this is kind of a situation that makes me wonder what's the hold-up? They cannot be so blind to what IP they're sitting on, and I really doubt remaster would need FromSoft to work on it, unless they want to add content to it.
It would be another big exclusive for them, Demon's Souls released when the whole series was still niche, now that it has blown up I just cannot comprehend what are they doing with it.

I just started Demons Souls for the first time last night (the only Soulsborne game I haven't played). I have so far made it into a good chuck of the first mine area, after taking down Tower Knight boss.

The only suggestions I can give for a remaster (based only on the small amount I have played:

-something feels off about the rolling. It is different than the Dark Souls series for sure
-make the bosses more difficult. The tutorial boss, Phalanx and Tower Knighy are the only ones I have killed, but they were laughably easy. Maybe because I already have Souls experience, but even still they feel like pushovers.

what type of build are you?

the bosses can be pretty challenging, id wait before saying theyre too easy.

ethomaz

Banned
Everybody does dream with that.

The best Soul game.

It has too the more advanced mechanics too with World and Character Tendencies... really ahead of it time... sad the next Souls games dropped these key features.

ElFly

dunno why it hasn't happened yet, tbqh

maybe now that DS3 is going to be done with the last DLC they will do it. maybe they were afraid of competing with themselves

The boss of 2-2 is going to be the first wall you hit if you're a
melee build

DS3 is pretty much already a DeS remaster in places: there's Latria (Irithyll Dungeon), the Nexus (Firelink Shrine), Boletaria castle (various parts of High Wall and Lothric Castle), the Stormruler (Yhorm boss fight), etc.

I'm surprised by the lack of PS3 remasters so far this generation.
Last gen Sony remastered a large number of their first-party PS2 games. So far it seems like we only have God of War III and The Last of Us? Which ones am I forgetting?

Demon's Souls (and inFamous) seem like a no-brainer, eventually. With so many Souls games in recent years, they're probably just waiting for the right time to bring this one out.

EDIT: Forgot about Uncharted collection & Heavy Rain/Beyond.

Sorry but every 1 hour FROM is wasting on Demon's Soul remaster is 1 hour FROM could be spending on Bloodborne 2.

Don't let FROM do DeS remaster - put Bluepoint on it or whatever.

what type of build are you?

the bosses can be pretty challenging, id wait before saying theyre too easy.

Most bosses in the game are easy, and Demon's was pretty much the first Souls game I played intensively, but there are two exceptions that can really wreck your shit.
The Flamelurker and the Meneaters to be precise.
Though both of them can be easily cheesed I guess.

I'm surprised by the lack of PS3 remasters so far this generation.
Last gen Sony remastered a large number of their first-party PS2 games. So far it seems like we only have God of War III and The Last of Us? Which ones am I forgetting?

Demon's Souls (and inFamous) seem like a no-brainer, eventually. With so many Souls games in recent years, they're probably just waiting for the right time to bring this one out.

Atlus could be holding it back like Activision w/ Crash.

Solrac

Sorry but every 1 hour FROM is wasting on Demon's Soul remaster is 1 hour FROM could be spending on Bloodborne 2.

Don't let FROM do DeS remaster - put Bluepoint on it or whatever.

this remaster has to be done by bluepoint games , from has nothing to do here.

ElFly

Coming back from the rest of the souls games, Demon feels really easy. The main difficulty comes from the areas being huge and the lack of checkpointing they have, but even then, Demon can be a cake walk for most of the game -for the hardened souls player-

I think that the last time I played it -after Dark 1 and 2- the only areas that gave me trouble were 2-2 and 4-2. 2-2 for being so long and convoluted, and having the tougher boss at the end of it, and 4-2 that has some really though enemies.

I'm quality right now. 16/16 Dex and Str. Using a +3 Falchion, most of the time 2h. Want to grab a katana at some point.

Sounds good then. I love taking down difficult bosses.

yeah youll have fun with a couple of them being a melee build.

magic is major cheese in DeS and it makes the game a total cake walk

6th Archstone, 1080p/60fps etc...

And also, unless I'm mis-remembering, let enemies respawn when you examine archstones in levels. That's it. Game is already secretly god-tier.

I still think it'll happen. If Parappa can get the remaster treatment, Demon's Souls can.

Maybe it was Bluepoint's next project after Gravity Rush and we just don't know it yet.

Every enemy except Black Phantoms/ Bosses respawns in Demon's.

Hmm, do they respawn without having to go back to The Nexus though? That's what i meant. It's the most minor of frustrations though, because I'm assuming that a remaster would load a helluva lot faster on my ssd/pro than my stock hdd ps3.

Nyoro SF

I would do questionably immoral things for this. I don't even give a shit if it's a guaranteed PS4-only exclusive, I will buy it.

Even if it only came with some simple resolution, FPS, AA and loading time updates, you'd have my attention.

6th archstone being finished, PvP balance with grass adjusted and World Tendency being tuned up to give the highest tendencies more common appearances would be an unbelievable dream.

Hmm, do they respawn without having to go back to The Nexus though? That's what i meant. It's the most minor of frustrations though, because I'm assuming that a remaster would load a helluva lot faster on my ssd/pro than my stock hdd ps3.

No but they do not respawn in that way in Bloodborne as well.

I mean I understand what you want and yeah it could improve your game experience but it is a super minor thing :)

Anura

Hopefully they can make the gameplay not garbage this time. I'm probably being unfair to it as a played the games in a stupid weird order (dark souls 3, dark souls 1, demon souls, dark souls 2, bloodborne) but the combat and some levels in that game didn't hold up well at all.

Top Bottom