• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I dreamt of a Demon's Souls remaster...

Give me the Northern Limits and I'll be happy, but remove ore farming (especially pure fucking bladestone) and I'll be ECSTATIC.

If they add the sixth archstone they may as well rebalance/remake the whole game. As it would add new magic, weapons, weapon infusion types, etc. The developers now have the benifit of eight years of Souls game history, and a land of giants made today would be very different than what would been released eight years ago.

It's called Land of the Giants. Not sure if any of this was used for Dark Souls instead, but here's what in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hlEShsDl3U

Darkroot Garden seems to use many of the same concepts as what datamined from the land of giants.

OP, did Maiden in Black show up in your dream? If so, you're....the chosen one I'm afraid. The Old One is awoken from slumber.

Endo Punk

I would have killed for a Demon's Souls remaster, it's my fav Souls despite the Dark franchise. After Bloodborne, I really don't care anymore.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Have the game play exactly the same way with no changes to the actual game. Just graphically face lift it to look like a current gen title or closer to one anyway. Demon's looks pretty rough these days compared to Dark Souls 3 or BB

guyssorry

A remaster of this game is easily one of my top 5 most desired games. The game has not aged too well, and an update version would be perfect. Such a fantastic, revolutionary game.

Majmun

SOny is sitting on a strong IP with this one. They could do a remaster and announce a sequel if they'd want.

Sony could do a Demon's Souls 2 and a Bloodborne 2 for ultimate slayage.

Drencrom

I still think it'll happen. If Parappa can get the remaster treatment, Demon's Souls can.

Maybe it was Bluepoint's next project after Gravity Rush and we just don't know it yet.

I really do wonder what Bluepoint is working on, we've heard nothing from them since the Gravity Rush remaster that came out in December 2015. That's quite a long period of silence and no releases based on the fact that they been releasing one or two games every year since 2011. Whatever they're working on must be big.

Demon's Souls Remaster E3 2017

Finished this game last year and loved it. Sublime level design and unmatched atmosphere. Gameplay hasn't aged too well though.. so I'd definitely be up for a remaster or remake.

Give me the same game with 4K/30 FPS option like Nioh Movie Mode

And fix the broken summoning

One of my favorite games ever. Completed it two weeks after launch. Never looked back

Necron

latest

:bow :bow :bow :bow

Best Souls game (tied with BB+DLC) ever.

Best two Souls levels ever:
- Tower of Latria 3-2 (not 3-1)
- Valley of Defilement 5-2

Biggest impact on new-age roleplaying gamers (not games) ever:

- no map
- no music (only during boss fights); not even ambient music/ humming as heard in Yharnam in Bloodborne
- savepoints after tough as nails boss fights
- losing 50% health after you die
- long-ass, maze-like levels
- no save & loading whatsoever - game constantly saves your actions and there is no going back (like MMOs). You cannot use an item to see what it does and load back your save - the item is used forever.
- you can permanently kill shopkeepers by mistake
- one and the same currency for shops and experience
- no availability to sell items
- limited inventory (carry burden)
- limited equip burden
- vicious and relentless bosses: Flamelurker, Maneater

I mean... shit... look at the list above. Everything is AGAINST THE PLAYER yet the game is one of the best RPGs ever created.

Strangely, I never had any problems with the infamous Flamelurker... Maneater and the Penetrator boss fights really gave me trouble, though.

Kind of forgot to mention but I love the character creation track here; soothing yet really foreboding, I find:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgDy71yjFMI

OP, did Maiden in Black show up in your dream? If so, you're....the chosen one I'm afraid. The Old One is awoken from slumber.

Time to invest all my souls into the Luck stat and pray. Umbasa.

Drencrom

Strangely, I never had any problems with the infamous Flamelurker... Maneater and the Penetrator boss fights really gave me trouble, though.

Kind of forgot to mention but I love the character creation track here; soothing yet really foreboding, I find:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgDy71yjFMI

Time to invest all my souls into the Luck stat and pray. Umbasa.

Love the charchater creation theme, so enigmatic and haunting (most DeS music is). Still kinda salty that this track isn't on the Demon's Souls Soundtrack CD lol

I just finished Demon's Souls last night for the first time (after a few attempts over the past 6 years lol)
What would be cool is for NG+ to change things up more imo, having some different NPCs, different dialogue with exisiting NPCs and new areas would've made me jump straight into NG+. Maybe even having the sixth archstone 'restored' giving a whole new set of levels & another of the archstones is broken instead

As it stands NG+ just doesn't seem all that fresh. Rolling a new character with a different build & combat focus seems like I'd enjoy it more, but also be kinda annoyed that I have to play so much of the game before getting particular weapons / armour. I guess you could have it where you can choose to respec your character upon entry into NG+, it'd be less work than adding new content but still spice up NG+

This is all personal though, I know a lot of people enjoy playing the game into NG+ & beyond as it is

Oh and altering the world tendency system somehow - not getting rid of it but there must be ways to better implement it. Having to deliberately suicide over&over is silly

rackham

Banned
World tendency needs to disappear or be fixed to something better. The online needs reworking. I'd love for the last archstone to be finished.

Mostly I just want better performance.

Fisty

Best Souls by far imo, Bloodborne is damn close though.

Not sure whether I'd like a Remaster or a Remake though, I think a lot of the charm and atmosphere might be lost on a full remake, but a Remaster would need a lot of extra work like taking out the dozens of cheeses and fixing exploits and such.

If they can keep that soft, hazy look and dreamy atmosphere I say full remake.

yes

also remove inventory weight limit

boom, the GOAT just got even better

Fix some of the other dumb things like stacks of 99 healing items, scraping spear being total BS and maybe make world tendency better somehow (any ideas?)
and yup, GOAT.

But tbh just a port with better performance would be enough for me to buy it again

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Imo, i loved that you had to clear a whole level to get to the boss and only get a new save point after you killed him. All the games afterward seemed so throwaway with their level design since a lot of times you would only pass it one time after reaching a bonfire. DeSo with updated movement and gfx would be in the same league as Wipeout HD remake.

A Demon's Souls remaster with the sixth archstone included, 1080p/60fps, better textures and or models, improved lightning and effects...

simon-cowell-gif-youre-awesome-the-x-factor-happy-sigh.gif

A man can dream.

No changes, game was and is amazing. The framerate obviously needs some improvement though. 60 fps would be neat, and Dark Souls 3 graphics wouldn't hurt either. In terms of mechanics or content, Demon's Souls was ballsy as hell in a soft ass gaming environment 2009/2010 (which was about the dudebro prime I think).

latest

:bow :bow :bow :bow

Best Souls game (tied with BB+DLC) ever.

Best two Souls levels ever:
- Tower of Latria 3-2 (not 3-1)
- Valley of Defilement 5-2

Biggest impact on new-age roleplaying gamers (not games) ever:

- no map
- no music (only during boss fights); not even ambient music/ humming as heard in Yharnam in Bloodborne
- savepoints after tough as nails boss fights
- losing 50% health after you die
- long-ass, maze-like levels
- no save & loading whatsoever - game constantly saves your actions and there is no going back (like MMOs). You cannot use an item to see what it does and load back your save - the item is used forever.
- you can permanently kill shopkeepers by mistake
- one and the same currency for shops and experience
- no availability to sell items
- limited inventory (carry burden)
- limited equip burden
- vicious and relentless bosses: Flamelurker, Maneater

I mean... shit... look at the list above. Everything is AGAINST THE PLAYER yet the game is one of the best RPGs ever created.

Yes. I still believe in that list. I still want that in my games.

Wasn't the 6th Archstone scavenged for one of DS2's DLCs?

I just want a stable framerate. Even if its 24fps like the other console releases lol.

Plus have it so other players cannot affect one's WT indirectly.

Dropped items due to item burden stay like bloodstains. Die before you get back and it disappears along with your last bloodstain, BUT you can get it back.

It's the only things necessary to make it perfect.

evolve9

I'd just add some minor improvements from the later Souls games (like consuming multiple souls at once) that wouldn't mess with the game's balance. It's kinda sad that I would be more excited for this remaster than for a lot of brand new games lol.

Also, conpletely agree with the ost praise. DeS still has the most interesting music in the entire series. The nexus theme (the first one, not that creepy organ thing) is so soothing, it always felt reassuring when returning to the nexus after facing whatever horrors the game threw at me.

gioGAF

The first and still the best, I keep wishing for a Demon's Souls re-release / remaster on the quattro. I would buy it at a high price. I think a few tweaks would make it even better:

- Light / Dark tendency: As mentioned, something should be done about this. The system is a bit obtuse. Perhaps your first round is Light (NG) and the second round is Dark (NG+). Subsequent rounds (NG++ and beyond) it can be set by the player (menu option). This would reward you with the "unique" items only during NG+ or beyond.

- Overhaul of some unique items: Some unique items are great (Dark Silver Shield), but others are garbage (Rune Shield). How about making the Rune Shield the fire equivalent of the Dark Silver Shield? This could be applied to other trash items (Bramd? 36 pounds of garbage as it stands. Penetrating Sword? Amazing design and lore but completely useless.). A good solution would be to give unique items linear scaling with multiple stats, meaning that something like Bramd (drop weight to 20!) could be the strength / magic scaling blunt weapon (this would be unique since there really aren't any "Crescent" hammers). It would be linear so at 120-125, it would be crappier than a Blessed Great Axe, but as you invest more it would be better (higher soul level). That would make unique items higher level weapons instead of useless junk.

- One Moon Grass to Rule Them All: Get rid of the multiple types of Moon Grass and just have one Moon Grass that heals a percentage of your health (50%?). I think tweaking the number of uses is a possibility, but that requires a bit more thought.

- Moon Enchant - Make this the "Quality" magic/faith enchant. Blessed = Faith, Crescent = Magic, Moon = Faith/Magic C/C.

I could go on and on (love this game, want in on PS4 now!). Really hope it happens at some point in time.

aadiboy

Guys, even if they do remaster the game From isn't going to change anything. They're not going to put development resources into a 10 year old game.

HeelPower

If possible, I wish they'd add a plunging attack mechanic.

I am replaying the game now and there are soooo many situations which need a plunging attack,particularly in 5-1.

Also,definitely 60 fps and Perfect IQ on Pro.

Shengar

yes

also remove inventory weight limit

boom, the GOAT just got even better

No changes. Maybe kill the inventory weight limit, and the world tendency thing. Thats it.

I hope so, remove the weight limit. Dreams can become reality.
hahaha_no.gif

What's with this weight removal bullshit? Weight inventory limit plays a significant part on what makes Nexus feels like home besides its soothing music, various NPCs, and practically the only safehaven within the world. I've experience it firsthand with Dark Souls II, III, and Bloodborne that by just placing a level up dispenser on a place would never be enough to make safehaven places on those games matched up the position and importance of the Nexus to the player. Having to drop some of your inventory just because you happened to kill a crystal lizard is annoying. But such minor inconvenience that happened due to your own part on poor inventory management in the first place it's not removing an aspect that makes journey in Demon's Souls so perilous and in turn makes the Nexus truly a place that you could call home.

sappyday

Might come out for the tenth anniversary which is in two years.

hahaha_no.gif

What's with this weight removal bullshit? Weight inventory limit plays a significant part on what makes Nexus feels like home besides its soothing music, various NPCs, and practically the only safehaven within the world. I've experience it firsthand with Dark Souls II, III, and Bloodborne that by just placing a level up dispenser on a place would never be enough to make safehaven places on those games matched up the position and importance of the Nexus to the player. Having to drop some of your inventory just because you happened to kill a crystal lizard is annoying. But such minor inconvenience that happened due to your own part on poor inventory management in the first place it's not removing an aspect that makes journey in Demon's Souls so perilous and in turn makes the Nexus truly a place that you could call home.
This. Also how we gonna do that my boy stockpile Thomas.

gun_haver

Demon's is the smoothest ride out of the Souls games I have played. It's comparatively fast (haven't played BB yet - no PS4), and I think it's actually pretty easy. Not a complaint. I also think the way the levels are set out in such a digestible way is pretty nice as well. I don't think it is better than Dark Souls, Dark Souls has all this cool mystery and depth to it which Demon's Souls doesn't really compete with, but it's definitely it's own thing.

If it was ever remastered I'd want them to change as little as possible to avoid the endless "which version is definitive" arguments. That said I personally wouldn't mind some changes to the way world tendency works.
I'd never want an all-out remake with the BB engine or whatever though, especially not from FromSoft. It would undoubtedly have some framerate/pacing issues that would make the whole thing kind of pointless imo.

Respawning crystal lizards like Dark Souls, better farm methods for top tier mats.

This might be sacrilegious, but I'd simplify the world tendency system a bit as well.

Then some other QoL style stuff, but not much else.

Dahaka

First and best Souls game. I remember the first night when I started it more than 7 years ago and was hooked until the morning because I was so flashed and sucked into that immersive world.

I want this badly - just improve performance to a super-smooth 60 fps and tart the graphics up a bit.

Then do the same with Dark Souls and bundle them together.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want any changes aside from graphical facelift.
I don't even want the 6th archstone.

All new changes and additions will more than likely just bring about more problems and the 6th archstone would be underwhelming.

I'm with you on this.

Brakke

Banned
I played started Demon's first but it didn't click and I walked away scratching my head. I gave it another go after I beat and loved Dark Souls, and thought it was super excellent.

Demon's has a really really strong style but a lot of systems are just really opaque. Now that I understand them, I don't personally need them changed, but I think they should be cleaned up so more people can get into it. World Tendency, for example, was conceptually cool, but mostly ended up confusing and mysterious. I remember at some point they were doing world tendency events and like setting all the worlds to "pure white for this weekend only!"; that's a cool idea and a fun way to go courage community. But the general system of the server averages was so arbitrary.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
if it was just a straight port running at a higher resolution and solid 60fps then i'd be happy. it's the only one i haven't played and i'm not buying a ps3 just for it.

hahaha_no.gif

While I do love the original Firelink Shrine, I must concede that the Nexus has a leg up partially due to this.

hard ass edit: yeah hold up. Player tendency and world tendency was some ridiculous nonsense, even by souls standards. I love the nexus but committing ritual suicide in it after every boss kill didn't add much charm to it

black skeleton edit:
pureBladestone.jpg

you know what actually fuck demons souls

NewGame

Banned
I have to agree that the 'Tendency' system was pretty lame. It required a lot of meta-gaming to actually succeed which always feels bad. If they just tweaked it a bit and maybe made the change more obvious then it'd be more acceptable.

It made replays really fun though.

Top Bottom