• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I dreamt of a Demon's Souls remaster...

Necron

If it was ever remastered I'd want them to change as little as possible to avoid the endless "which version is definitive" arguments. That said I personally wouldn't mind some changes to the way world tendency works.
I'd never want an all-out remake with the BB engine or whatever though, especially not from FromSoft. It would undoubtedly have some framerate/pacing issues that would make the whole thing kind of pointless imo.

I have to agree that the 'Tendency' system was pretty lame. It required a lot of meta-gaming to actually succeed which always feels bad. If they just tweaked it a bit and maybe made the change more obvious then it'd be more acceptable.

It made replays really fun though.

While I do love the original Firelink Shrine, I must concede that the Nexus has a leg up partially due to this.

hard ass edit: yeah hold up. Player tendency and world tendency was some ridiculous nonsense, even by souls standards. I love the nexus but committing ritual suicide in it after every boss kill didn't add much charm to it

I generally got the idea behind world tendency... well, at least I think I get it. However, there's so much stuff you can miss in this game as a result, judging from the wiki page.
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

I decided from the get-go that I didn't want to deal with this game mechanic by always sacrificing myself in the Nexus as well. Never removed the Cling Ring after that either...

Nevertheless, I think the idea was very innovative for its time and I'm still unsure if my opinion about it is all that fair, then again I played it offline. I think it makes replaying Demon's Souls all the more enticing, but I think I agree that certain aspects of it need to be tweaked, both for online and offline play.

EDIT:

I'd just add some minor improvements from the later Souls games (like consuming multiple souls at once) that wouldn't mess with the game's balance. It's kinda sad that I would be more excited for this remaster than for a lot of brand new games lol.

Also, conpletely agree with the ost praise. DeS still has the most interesting music in the entire series. The nexus theme (the first one, not that creepy organ thing) is so soothing, it always felt reassuring when returning to the nexus after facing whatever horrors the game threw at me.

It's especially haunting once it suddenly changes to that organ piece... going from this:
https://youtu.be/aY-CEFD8X1Q

To this:
https://youtu.be/6mwkyH1aUU8

Really changed the whole Nexus for the rest of the playthrough. I believe it even changed for me once I killed Maiden Astrea... I remember looking up online directly afterwards to see if I did something I wasn't supposed to. Turns out the theme changes after you acquire 3/5 Demon Souls and it was just a coincidence.

Xliskin

Did you dream of Dark Souls remaster too? :(

Have the game play exactly the same way with no changes to the actual game. Just graphically face lift it to look like a current gen title or closer to one anyway. Demon's looks pretty rough these days compared to Dark Souls 3 or BB

Really I remember the gameplay was outdated , it even don't have plunge attack

Dunkley

So if Demon's Souls would be remastered what kind of changes (if any) would you make to the game?

I'd honestly not change much about Demon's Souls as is, maybe being able to slide down ladders.

While the sheer imbalance in terms of classes is pretty huge in Demon's Souls, it also paved the way alongside of World Tendency to allow players on different parts of the Souls learning curve to access the game in a difficulty they craft to themselves, and given how hands off Demon's Souls is in terms of progression I actually see that as a plus.

The big elephant in the room is definitely magic and how OP that is. Honestly I'd nerf it or give other classes better gear down the line to balance the game better for PvP. I'd say the PvE challenge only really comes around in NG+ anyway, so I figure the balance of NG shouldn't be screwed around with too much while I definitely think PvP and NG+ being harder for "easy" classes should be a prime goal in regards to balancing the game. Make it a low risk, small reward, high risk, high reward sort of thing, and reward the players who dare seek a challenge without necessarily punishing the players who just want to experience its' great world.

Should a 6th Archstone be included?

Yes, definitely, toss in some gear for STR/DEX builds in order to make them more viable in PvP against casters.

Should certain things from Dark Souls/Bloodborne be included or not?

As said before, sliding down ladders would be great. Maybe weapon arts from Dark Souls 3 so melee only players have more options.

Additionally, what were your favourite moments in Demon's Souls when you first played it?

I'm pretty much in line with the consensus.

The Tower of Latria was a fantastic place and probably my favorite part of Demon's Souls. While 3-2 wasn't as great as 3-1 (since the prison part was absolutely amazing and it was hard to top that), I have to say I had a BLAST playing through it, especially thanks to the Old Monk PvP battle.

The Valley of Defilement, not so much because it was the best part to navigate especially with that Black Phantom that could roll while you couldn't, but because of the last boss fight.

Boletarian Palace, mostly part 4 was also amazing. Ostrava's story coming to a sad end, the sheer amount of bricks shat the first time the False King leveled you DOWN was mindblowing, man it was one hell of a time finishing up that archstone.

Did you play it prior to Dark Souls and Bloodborne or after?

Demon's Souls was the first Souls game I ever played through. I owned Dark Souls prior but didn't like it because I sucked, and Demon's Souls was basically the second chance I gave the franchise.

Beating it instilled hope in me again, which is why afterwards I beat Dark Souls 1, then Dark Souls 3 three times for each ending (short of the Unkindled one), then Dark Souls 2.

I thank it alone that it reinvigorated my hope that there's more to the franchise than just in-your-face difficulty, and the experiences I've had in the franchise were well worth the difficulty faced, and it's all due to the fact that Demon's Souls was the game that really managed to capture me and see the beauty in the rest of it as well.

mhayes86

I would love a Demon's Souls remaster. Just improve weapon upgrading and the world tendency system, and I'm game.

Ohhhh I want that dream.

I want a remix mode, with new items / gear / magic / enemy types / etc added each new play though for variety.

And everybody wants beyond that 6th archstone. I don't even care if it's dlc. I want it repaired.

I would also love for more npc's of the lore to show up, even if it was through simple npc's summons.

Jaraghan

yeah youll have fun with a couple of them being a melee build.

magic is major cheese in DeS and it makes the game a total cake walk
Well I beat the game and Flamelurker and Dragon God were the only two bosses I didn't defeat first try. Flamelurker was difficult for me as pure melee, and Dragon God killed me before I figured out what to do.

Even False King wasn't hard for me. I suppose coming off the Dark Souls series/Bloodborne doesn't make the game as challenging for experienced players I guess. I used the Kilaj at +10 regular and could pretty much stunlock every enemy. The bleed effect was a nice bonus too.

Demoskinos

They need to fix world tendency balance and how everything was black because everyone kept dying over and over.

Word. If there was one thing that was incredibly annoying it was just how difficult it was to get pure white to unlock some of the secret areas.

I still remember playing this for the first time. I used to run around all over the sanctuary for no reason and try to break everything that was destructible lol. And sometimes I would try to progress in the game.

It was one of those games where you knew if the developers had a chance they could take the series so far, and they did which was great.

The style of the game was such a perfect mix of old and new. It was like a 3D Diablo 1 from Japan, that's the feeling I got the first time, that fresh. What else could you even want.

I still haven''t finished the game. I think that's part of the charm for me though.

Assuming that the game exists, it would probably actually have changes, kinda like the current gen version of ds2. I would suggest:

-6th archstone

-rusted iron ring equivalent(or at least fix 5-2's horrible, horrible layout)

-no more grinding for items(have a lot more stones as treasures, ex pure bladestone)

To fix world/character tendency:

-not have it affect drop rates

-have way more events/special bosses instead of an handful across both pure ones, also nerf some of the broken pure black red phantom ones notably in 1-3 and 5-2

-have more ways to shift the tendency instead of basically having to dedicate an entire playthrough to shift to pure white/black

I think the game's best quality compared to the other games in the series is how it kind of feels like an "arcadey", fast paced rpg, unlike the much bigger games. Being forced to grind for the tendency events/stones really break the pacing of the game, so those should be the priority

I'd like to see it get the Resident Evil Remake treatment, the game has great art direction but due to various constraints it never reached its full potential on a technical level.

Keep the level layout & art style but completely overhaul it, new geometry, new lighting, tighten up the animations & character models instead of just adjusting existing textures & resolution. Areas are smaller than later entries & don't require a seamless open world, they would have a lot of headroom to massively up the game from a visual standpoint, while hitting 60fps.

WormBoi

Banned
I would want a better inventory system but otherwise just straight up increasing the graphics quality and make it 60 fps would be so nice.

Necron

Did you dream of Dark Souls remaster too? :(

Not yet. I do believe that the chances are much higher for Dark Souls to be remastered as part of a trilogy boxset by Namco Bandai at some point.

What/If anything should happen to Demon's Souls is anyone's guess, though. Sony would have to give the go-ahead to one of their remastering studios (e.g. bluepoont point?). FromSoftware returning to it is unlikely. Realistically, I've come to the conclusion that a texture and performance upgrade would be done and not much else. I can't imagine them changing much outside from that, although it's interesting to imagine these changes when looking at the other games (which is what this thread is all about). Thus, I'd have to agree with anyone stating something similar. Never say never, though. I would absolutely love some slight changes/additions to the gameplay (maybe even optional ones so that we can avoid the discussions of the "best version" at one point, as someone nicely highlighted). My biggest fear is that some of those additions mentioned by various people might break the game. However, things like removing item burden so that one doesn't potentially lose an item when opening a chest would be more than welcome in my opinion.

I'm surprised to this day that we even got a Grim Fandango remaster. So anything's possible when given the opportunity and demand.

DS3 is pretty much already a DeS remaster in places: there's Latria (Irithyll Dungeon), the Nexus (Firelink Shrine), Boletaria castle (various parts of High Wall and Lothric Castle), the Stormruler (Yhorm boss fight), etc.

I'm playing DS3 right now and this is so true. Not even close when it comes to atmosphere and impact though

Make it like Dark Souls.

There's already dark souls...

Narasaki

I booted the game today and when you connect online a message appear telling me that the servers will shut down on february 28, 2018 T________________T

This game is a treasure. There must be something we can do to stop this. This game MUST survive until judgement day

bf1313a1c065fa318f652548983bd5949fa8f61a.jpg__576x480_q85.jpg

You miss a lot of fun quests without it. It's so lame that's its so esoteric.

Yeah, I've beaten the game on NG and NG+ and still have zero fucking clue how it works exactly.

I'll eventually look up exactly what to do etc. on my inevitable next playthrough but out of all the absurdly obscure Souls systems, this surely takes the cake.

Hi-Scores_01

Neo Member
-updated graphics

-stable frame rate

- overhaul menus to meet ds3 standards/replace the cryptic symbol icons with text

-Character and world tendency menu should be easier to understand via a moon phase type symbol above each archstone so you can tell exactly how dark/light each area is.

-.update ladder climbing options and speed to Ds3

-remove item burden

-limit invaders grass

-invaders should not be able to kill or move enemies

-option to play regional or worldwide/password co op

-add locked on multi direction roll instead of just 4 way

-leave the core of the game unchanged glitches and all/ maybe nerf scraping spear and baby nail a bit?

Most changes are pretty common sense but would be disappointed if they simply copy paste Dks 3 controls over it and ruin the experience

-

Alastor3

From software said again and again if there ever had a remaster, it's gonna be another team that will do it, so I highly doubt they will add a lot of things in it.

zenspider

I hope so, remove the weight limit. Dreams can become reality.

Also, It will erase the bad taste DS2SOTFS has left..

I'd be happy with a starting, and optional, ring.

The weight limit sucks, but it is a big part of the general anxiety.

Alebrije

Since FROM is moving from the Souls saga y think is time to Sony to release a remaster of Demons Souls , as far as I remember they own the IP and FROM could just help on little changes. Sony does not needs to add something just upgrade visuals and frame rate.

A new Demons S. remaster won't interfere with any FROMs game since there won't be Darl Souls games in the future. Surely Sony is working with FROM on a new Bloodborne for next years so the Demons S remaster could fill the hole left from Dark Souls.

This is he perfect time to think about a remaster , hope Sony thinks he same or at least have the idea on the desk.

Narasaki

Atlus just confirmed it on facebook. American servers will also die on february.

Man, I just don't understand how some shitty WWII fps can last for more than 10 years and Demon's souls online functionality has to die. Retarded world we live in.

Narasaki

What will happen with the world tendency stuff without the online servers? content of the game will be locked?

edit: Now I remember that tendency can be controlled offline too

autoduelist

8 years is a long run, and I remember fondly everyone thinking each year was the last, only to get renewed time after time.

Hopefully we get a remaster. The only fix I -really- need is upping Pure Bladestone drop rate... I don't ever want to have to hunt one of those down again.

sublimit

Banned
It feels like yesterday when i was reading GAF's OT for Demon's Souls as a lurker back then.I was curious about the game before but the first impressions in that thread really intrigued me and soon i imported the Asian version. I miss those times when the community worked together to unravel the mysteries of that game.As good as Dark Souls and Bloodborne where From Software never managed to replicate that community feeling partly because the fanbase has expanded significantly since then.

I really hope they manage to create another game one day that will be as cryptic and mysterious as Demon's Souls was for those of us who first played it when it first came out.

Hearing that the Asian servers will shut down in February almost made me cry.To be honest even though i later bought both NA and EU versions i still kept replaying the Asian version.So i raise my cup to all those strangers who i have read their messages,watched their ghost deaths,helped them and helped me in co-op and those who invaded me on the Asian servers.You all helped enhance my experience significantly so i love you all.You all have hearts of gold. :)

It feels like yesterday when i was reading GAF's OT for Demon's Souls as a lurker back then.I was curious about the game before but the first impressions in that thread really intrigued me and soon i imported the Asian version. I miss those times when the community worked together to unravel the mysteries of that game.As good as Dark Souls and Bloodborne where From Software never managed to replicate that community feeling partly because the fanbase has expanded significantly since then.

I really hope they manage to create another game one day that will be as cryptic and mysterious as Demon's Souls was for those of us who first played it when it first came out.

Hearing that the Asian servers will shut down in February almost made me cry.To be honest even though i later bought both NA and EU versions i still kept replaying the Asian version.So i raise my cup to all those strangers who i have read their messages,watched their ghost deaths,helped them and helped me in co-op and those who invaded me on the Asian servers.You all helped enhance my experience significantly so i love you all.You all have hearts of gold. :)

Even sadder news, all the servers are shutting down on Feb 28th

AmyS

I booted the game today and when you connect online a message appear telling me that the servers will shut down on february 28, 2018 T________________T

This game is a treasure. There must be something we can do to stop this. This game MUST survive until judgement day

bf1313a1c065fa318f652548983bd5949fa8f61a.jpg__576x480_q85.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooooo.

Top Bottom