• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler & Albert Penello on the Xbox One (Interview)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Albert, and this is coming from someone who only owns 6 PS3 games and about 40 360 games, but PS3 exclusives like GoW3, KZ3 etc. absolutely shit on anything that came out for 360 (graphically speaking).

It is going to be the same this gen. I actually expect PS4 to win handily in most, if not all tech and performance comparisons. There are already PS4 games that look a mile ahead of any of the X1 stuff.

The only people that will believe there is and will be no difference are....

You're wrong on both fronts. Halo 4, Alan Wake and Gears 3 look just as good as Gow 3 and KZ. In terms of next gen there is no difference for both from the same shown so far.

Highest end graphics today means a multi Titan setup... If you think Ps4 target that then you are in for a rude awakening...

Except this time we know the specs of each machine. Theres no spinning that. What I do agree on is that it may not necessarily mean the games on PS4 are significantly better but the hardware difference is still there and still a notable one nevertheless.

We also knew the specs of 360 and Ps3, in fact even more detailed that we have now about Ps4 and xbone... And yet, pretty much everyone never saw it coming how 360 would hold up so well against the ps3...

evolution

Those last two paragraphs by Albert are kinda telling though. MS talked about the same things before the 360 launched but now that PS4 is clearly more powerful on paper its a different message this time. He's admitting the PS4 is more powerful, and just downplaying the amount.

bj00rn_

Banned
We're not dumb, Albert. We can look at the GPU specs and understand what they mean, even if you guys can't.

same engineers who gave us RROD

Are you so dense

reveals your contempt for the gaming population
For what it's worth I work for a firm who is short your stock via options for a reason.

It sounds like someone not working for Sony is overly invested in boxes that they do not own yet.. At least Albert works for a company that makes one of these boxes, and still he isn't rude as you guys, so what the hell are your excuses?

RedAssedApe

Banned
#TRUTHFACT

thanks for your reply and you can say it 1000x and there will still be people who will keep saying "buh buh buh, the numbers that people told me matters" and never quite comprehend what you mean about the nuances of the architecture and how it will work for developers making the games and not some benchmarking tool.

As you said ignore them and let them fight their uphill battle as the games prove them wrong just as they did with 360

thanks for your input as always

I'm not quite sure the narrative is the same this time around though. It is much easier to compare the two platforms this time around. Whereas PS3 was this exotic sort of tech that was way different from the 360 and what people were used to developing for.

Saying #TRUTHFACT in this scenario is just as fanboyish as the "buh buh buh, the numbers that people told me matters" people you are calling out. Especially considering the consoles haven't launched yet.

As many developers have said...you probably won't see what these consoles can do until several years into the generation. And I can't remember any console generation where that wasn't true.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Honestly I feel bad for the MS not-PR people, it definitely feels like they were expecting much closer platform parity before Sony lucked out with GDDR density. It's obvious that having a significantly weaker platform was not part of their plans for this generation and now there's not a lot they can say except downplay the disparity.

Verendus

Banned
For what it's worth, I refuse to see the faces of people on GAF. So I don't know what Albert looks like. Therefore, it was like I was listening to Radio. Maybe everyone should join us in the 21st Century, where we have video.

badb0y

Hey Albert, tell Major Nelson I'll be waiting for his console comparison blog post for the PS4 and Xbox One.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It sounds like someone not working for Sony is overly invested in boxes that they do not own yet.. At least Albert works for a company that makes one of these boxes, and still he isn't rude as you guys, so what the hell is your excuses?

I agree but this is a forum. We have all types. Some hold their stuff together. Others snap and are passive aggressive.

Marleyman

Banned
People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

Seriously why GAF is amazing. Right from someone who knows; not a bunch of people who THINK they do.

1049.gif

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

only 360 owner here
played unchared 2,3 gow3 on my friends ps3

i think visually no 360 games beats them

Curufinwe

He is just using that number for argument's sake, saying they wouldn't let Sony have a significant power advantage.

They wouldn't "let" Sony have a significant power advantage, but they did "let" Sony use much faster RAM and a significantly more powerful GPU.

This bit of PR here is just straight up embarrassing, and reveals your contempt for the gaming population. The worst thing a company can do is underestimate the intelligence of their audience.

Your corporation prioritised 8GB for multimedia/OS services and Kinect over the rest of the system, your design choices and the rest of the gubbins makes that obvious. Sony quite clearly have a tangibly superior system if your concern is graphics.

For what it's worth I work for a firm who is short your stock via options for a reason, Microsoft is disconnected from reality.

8GB of ram was decided in late 2010, according to an ex-Ms employee and insiders (that told months ago about upclocks of gpu and cpu) on b3d, before that xbone already had esram in its design.

So at least that design choice was there long before the need to have lots and lots of ram.

I’m not going to get into this PR thing again. There are clearly people who understand, and people who don’t. I’ve been a GAF member for a while, and was a reader long before that. I’ve been in gaming my entire professional career, and a player since videogames EXISTED. I come on GAF because I want to. I don’t get paid to post here or any other silly nonsense. Occasionally, the PR team will roll me out to do official interviews, which I’m not really a huge fan of doing.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

Albert you are infinitely more likable/credible than the used car salesman.

ku-xlarge.jpg

MS should definitely put you in the forefront of PR interviews. I still think the PS4 will be at least 25% more powerful when all is said and done. Where there is smoke there is fire, you guys over clocking, Need for speed guy on record saying there is a difference [he didn't say which console but we know ;) ], and in general people who understand this topic far better than I do commenting on the matter leads me to believe that difference is sizable.

But again, good on you for coming on and posting.

Wynnebeck

Banned
You're wrong on both fronts. Halo 4, Alan Wake and Gears 3 look just as good as Gow 3 and KZ. In terms of next gen there is no difference for both from the same shown so far.

They do, i played both.

So have I. I have both systems and a decent majority of PS3's titles shit on 360 from great heights. Only games that came close to matching that kind of quality was Gears, Gears 3, and Halo 4.

MCD

ku-xlarge.jpg

MS should definitely put you in the forefront of PR interviews. I still think the PS4 will be at least 25% more powerful when all is said and done. Where there is smoke there is fire, you guys over clocking, Need for speed guy on record saying there is a difference [he didn't say which console but we know ;) ], and in general people who understand this topic far better than I do commenting on the matter leads me to believe that difference is sizable.

How dare you insult Gaming T-shirts Boss.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Seriously why GAF is amazing. Right from someone who knows; not a bunch of people who THINK they do.

1049.gif

You're championing that part of his post? That's the most bullish and worse part of it.

He's just as guilty for flinging dirt. Mind you, I haven't seen this type of talk hardly from Sony or Nintendo other than a small jab about MSFT's flip flops. The latter half of the post reads like a disillusion fan. And we've had others bring up some of his past posts. It's not all sunshine and roses so I would hope you'd see not just what you want to see.

Curufinwe

Alan Wake doesn't belong in there. I loved the game but it runs at a really low resolution on the 360 - 960 x 544.

I agree with your point, though. The very best games on both systems looked about as good as each other.

I guess we'll just see when the consoles are out. I wouldn't take the word of someone who works for Microsoft OR Sony, they have obvious biases.

All I know is the PS Vita is king and PC is the Queen.

Taiser

Given the rumored specs for both systems, can anyone conceive of a circumstance or decision one platform holder could make, where despite the theoretical performance benchmarks of the components, the box that appears “weaker” could actually be more powerful?

oh shiiii ... dat hidden dGPU

ku-xlarge.jpg

What in the world is wrong with you people? What do you gain out of using personal insults against guys that have done nothing but work for a company that makes a video game console?

Gets your heads checked.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I love it when company people post here. Helps me really feel like they are involved in the gaming community and thats important to me. Do any Sony guys post here?

1049.gif

He knows so much he's dead wrong.

And not only is the gap bigger this time, but there isn't an issue with a slip memory pool and the dev environment is much friendlier.

I'm not assuming anyone is dumb. Not at all. I can understand based on what has been disclosed, why people are arriving at that conclusion.

I'm stating that not everyone knows all the facts. There are still a lot of important details about the platforms that are still unknown. I have many, many questions about what Sony is doing technically.

The question I posed earlier, and the statements I'm making now, will come out when we see the actual shipping boxes.

The most obvious point is that anyone looking at games on both platforms do not see ANY difference, let alone this alleged 30% - 40%. Both systems are powerful. Both are capable of next-gen graphics. I'm merely saying the application of that performance will mean the actual difference will not be that great.

Joeki11a

Banned
Last Of Us is possible on xbox 360?
How about Uncharted 2
Or GoW 3? How about GT6?

I am saying if the devs of all those games only dev for 360...
doubt that, clearly PS3 arch design was created to blow away any exclusive game on any other console.

What made 360 seem to have better graphics was 3rd party and Memory arch design which was very difficult to manage on Ps3 but easy for 360s.

PS3 never has a 3rd party dev fully make a series for it supported by Sony like MS did with EpiC, they didnt want to deal with Cell/Spu ram fiasco.

So have I. I have both systems and a decent majority of PS3's titles shit on 360 from great heights. Only games that came close to matching that kind of quality was Gears, Gears 3, and Halo 4.

Not true at all. The main titles that are visually great on ps3 are kz,gow and uc,for xbox its halo 4 and gears 3 along with alan wake. They are all comparable, gears 3 looks better than uc to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom