• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler & Albert Penello on the Xbox One (Interview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk2025

The differences between next-gen and other generations has been explained many times.

Are you so dense as to equate the two?

Frankly, that comment is disconcerting.

We are all quick to point out that no, we shouldn't be freaking out over the Red Ring of Death again since Microsoft understood that problem and appears to have addressed it correctly.

By the same dime, the architectures this time around are so inherently different, that equating what's been shown and said this time to the last is very disingenuous, IMO.

I suppose the proof will be in the pudding a few years from now, but that particular comment really rubbed me the wrong way.

Except this time we know the specs of each machine. Theres no spinning that. What I do agree on is that it may not necessarily mean the games on PS4 are significantly better but the hardware difference is still there and still a notable one nevertheless.

His point is that the specs are different than the architecture. That's the beauty of a console, you can pump out incredible graphics by setting up a strong architecture to support the hardware. Everyone seems to forget the specs of the current generation in relation to how games look today.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

So much wrong. lol

Not saying Kutaragi wasn't batshit insane back in the day. But all systems lived up to the hype.

RoKKeR

God damn, drop the fucking mic! Great post, Albert.

I just have a random question that anybody can answer, but even though we have mandatory disc installs, we can't switch between games without putting the new game in the disc tray, correct?

Good interview for the most part.

Pro-tip to Microsoft: If you want a world where I have to be online to access my software then provide me guaranteed connectivity or build in your own 4G or whatever to handle that auth.

I'm fine with a diskless future provided I'm not required to be online.

And the message *isn't out* on Kinect. I hope you guys know that. You've still got some serious work to do on selling that thing to gamers.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.
As somebody who owns a 360 and PS3 I've yet to see games on the Xbox that match some of the exclusives on PS3. I'm talking Uncharteds and Killzones and God of Wars here. Hell GT5 has night, snow, rain, and insane lighting etc.

Seems like the PS3 did have the power this gen - they just made it onerously difficult to tap into.

I just have a random question that anybody can answer, but even though we have mandatory disc installs, we can't switch between games without putting the new game in the disc tray, correct?

The disc is required for validation.

Curufinwe

Yup. The people on the Microsoft engineering team have no idea what GPU specs mean. Makes sense.

Sigh...

No, the people on the Microsoft PR team are pretending these numbers don't matter, and it's embarrassing.

XB1
GPU: 1.31 Teraflops
16 ROPs
12 compute units

PS4
GPU: 1.84 Teraflops
32 ROPs
18 compute units

Correct. After the 180, they had to put the DRM back on the discs instead of having all digital DRM so you need the disc in the tray.
Unless you buy digital.

EvB

So much wrong. lol

Not saying Kutaragi wasn't batshit insane back in the say. But all systems lived up to the hype.

Check out Bayonetta in Motion

bayonetta_29.jpg

...I’m not going to get into this PR thing again. There are clearly people who understand, and people who don’t. I’ve been a GAF member for a while, and was a reader long before that. I’ve been in gaming my entire professional career, and a player since videogames EXISTED. I come on GAF because I want to. I don’t get paid to post here or any other silly nonsense. Occasionally, the PR team will roll me out to do official interviews, which I’m not really a huge fan of doing...

Thanks for taking time out of your day to post here. It's appreciated. And yes, I'm being sincere.

BB

Orca

Your Digital Download World example is crazy, though maybe my sarcasm meter is broken.

Digital Download World would be:
Johnny re-downloads game on Billy's console and plays at will. Meanwhile Johnny's little bro can't play the game because it is in play elsewhere.

Johnny's little bro would be able to play it actually since that was the machine it was first downloaded on - on his own account as well.

No, the people on the Microsoft PR team are pretending these numbers don't matter, and it's embarrassing.

XB1
GPU: 1.31 Teraflops
16 ROPs
12 compute units

PS4
GPU: 1.84 Teraflops
32 ROPs
18 compute units

What are you 12? He is saying that these numbers don't mean as much as everyone is making them out to be. Developers are saying the same thing.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. This is why I come on GAF.

Beautiful. ;_;

Klocker

Performance: I’m not dismissing raw performance. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

#TRUTHFACT

thanks for your reply and you can say it 1000x and there will still be people who will keep saying "buh buh buh, the numbers that people told me matters" and never quite comprehend what you mean about the nuances of the architecture and how it will work for developers making the games and not some benchmarking tool.

As you said ignore them and let them fight their uphill battle as the games prove them wrong just as they did with 360

thanks for your input as always

Spongebob

Banned
#TRUTHFACT

thanks for your reply and you can say it 1000x and there will still be people who will keep saying "buh buh buh, the numbers that people told me matters" and never quite comprehend what you mean about the nuances of the architecture and how it will work for developers making the games and not some benchmarking tool.

As you said ignore them and let them fight their uphill battle as the games prove them wrong just as they did with 360

thanks for your input as always
I can't take anyone seriously who equates the hardware differences of current-gen with the coming generation.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or

I think the difference this time is that the internals are similar enough that a direct comparison is easier to make. We'll see in Nov.

Pro-tip to Microsoft: If you want a world where I have to be online to access my software then provide me guaranteed connectivity or build in your own 4G or whatever to handle that auth.

I think this would have been the best approach to the whole situation. Would've helped address those edge cases were your main internet connection goes out or isn't available.

If it's only used for failsafe authorization purposes, it's not like it would be a ton of data, so they wouldn't have to worry about excessive data usage or whatever.

MCD

Correct, we did say that. And, according to every PC gamer here, neither did Sony.

Translation: I believe there are core PC gamers who will tell you that neither system targeted the highest-end graphics.

I dunno, Mark Cerny seems pretty confident about the PS4 architecture gains over PC:

The "supercharged PC architecture," that the team has come up with -- to use Cerny's term -- is designed to offer significant gains the PC can't, while still offering a familiar technological environment for engineers.

Closed box and all that jazz.

Curufinwe

What are you 12? He is saying that these numbers don't mean as much as everyone is making them out to be. Developers are saying the same thing.

Yeah, it's his job to state that. Even a 12 year old can understand that. If you're over 12 you should be able to recognize that they do matter, and if the situations were reversed Microsoft would be crowing from every rooftoop about how much more powerful their machine was than the PS4. And they wouldn't just be using meaningful numbers...

True story about this interview:

I made poor Adam wait for me for like 20 min. I had totally underestimated the fact it was going to take me NEARLY AN HOUR to find parking at PAX. So I was totally frustrated, had been in a car in traffic for over 90 minutes, and was RUSHING into the convention center. I had just walked in, and had been keeping him and his crew waiting. So I sat down, and we rolled – no prep or anything. I’m surprised I didn’t come across as a complete buffoon given how cold I came into this.

I also found out this was going to be on-camera, which I’m not a big fan of, because, well… look at me. I have a face for Radio.

Anyway I appreciate the kind comments.

I’m not going to get into this PR thing again. There are clearly people who understand, and people who don’t. I’ve been a GAF member for a while, and was a reader long before that. I’ve been in gaming my entire professional career, and a player since videogames EXISTED. I come on GAF because I want to. I don’t get paid to post here or any other silly nonsense. Occasionally, the PR team will roll me out to do official interviews, which I’m not really a huge fan of doing.

Regarding the Kinect video I was talking about. There are several, but the one I like best is this. Also – this is now several months old. Latency is even better now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5kMNfgDS4

Disc install – Turns out, at this point the speed and throughput of the consoles exceeds the transfer speeds of the disc. I don’t have the exact numbers, but the reason BOTH CONSOLES do mandatory installs is because you’d be actually giving up a ton of potential performance by bottlenecking the systems at the read speeds of the disc. Even on 360 games like GTAV are mandatory HDD installs – at this point reading from disc is just too slow. On top of which, the instant game switching feature goes away…

Performance: I’m not dismissing raw performance. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

Except for the fact that there those of us who had no idea what the Cell could really do then and only assumed it'd be better. This time around we aren't really dealing with this "alien" tech and know for a fact that the 30% power advantage is going to be a game changer for first party titles.

K' Dash

I am surprised Albert has still the will to post in here, good stuff. Bringing the heat also ;)

His post sounded like an angry fanboy, the truth is, you can't cheat math, the superiority is there, of course it is completely up to the developers if they take advantage of it.

GavinGT

Banned
Whether you classify Penello's posts here as PR or not, they're different from your typical PR remarks in that he's a higher-up in the company and he doesn't have to constantly bite his tongue. He can be blunt and honest without worrying that he'll be internally chastised for it. Obviously he can't say anything he wants, but he doesn't have to stick purely to PR speak.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Appreciate you showing up Albert but that post doesn't sit well with me.

Your post sounds like you work for MSFT. And you do.

I made poor Adam wait for me for like 20 min. I had totally underestimated the fact it was going to take me NEARLY AN HOUR to find parking at PAX. So I was totally frustrated, had been in a car in traffic for over 90 minutes, and was RUSHING into the convention center. I had just walked in, and had been keeping him and his crew waiting. So I sat down, and we rolled – no prep or anything. I’m surprised I didn’t come across as a complete buffoon given how cold I came into this.

I also found out this was going to be on-camera, which I’m not a big fan of, because, well… look at me. I have a face for Radio.

I’m not going to get into this PR thing again. There are clearly people who understand, and people who don’t. I’ve been a GAF member for a while, and was a reader long before that. I’ve been in gaming my entire professional career, and a player since videogames EXISTED. I come on GAF because I want to. I don’t get paid to post here or any other silly nonsense. Occasionally, the PR team will roll me out to do official interviews, which I’m not really a huge fan of doing.

Regarding the Kinect video I was talking about. There are several, but the one I like best is this. Also – this is now several months old. Latency is even better now.

Disc install – Turns out, at this point the speed and throughput of the consoles exceeds the transfer speeds of the disc. I don’t have the exact numbers, but the reason BOTH CONSOLES do mandatory installs is because you’d be actually giving up a ton of potential performance by bottlenecking the systems at the read speeds of the disc. Even on 360 games like GTAV are mandatory HDD installs – at this point reading from disc is just too slow. On top of which, the instant game switching feature goes away…

I guess this is one way to downplay your opponent's advantages.

Some of you sound rattled, did Albert plant a seed of doubt in your mind?!

Thanks for the posts Albert, interesting reading for us not so much in the know. Would be nice if someone from Sony did something similar. I'm just curious to hear insiders perspectives, its nice. Kind of sick of the back and forth between people who've yet to experience either.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Can you link to those statements by developers? All I know is of anonymous stuff that says there is a significant difference, which I will provide as soon as you do.

Sorry Albert, and this is coming from someone who only owns 6 PS3 games and about 40 360 games, but PS3 exclusives like GoW3, KZ3 etc. absolutely shit on anything that came out for 360 (graphically speaking).

It is going to be the same this gen. I actually expect PS4 to win handily in most, if not all tech and performance comparisons. There are already PS4 games that look a mile ahead of any of the X1 stuff.

The only people that will believe there is and will be no difference are....

derFeef

His post sounded like an angry fanboy, the truth is, you can't cheat math, the superiority is there, of course it is completely up to the developers if they take advantage of it.

If only every angry fanboy post on NeoGAF would read like that.

avaya

This bit of PR here is just straight up embarrassing, and reveals your contempt for the gaming population. The worst thing a company can do is underestimate the intelligence of their audience.

Your corporation prioritised 8GB for multimedia/OS services and Kinect over the rest of the system, your design choices and the rest of the gubbins makes that obvious. Sony quite clearly have a tangibly superior system if your concern is graphics.

For what it's worth I work for a firm who is short your stock via options for a reason, Microsoft is disconnected from reality.

Freki

You know what this reminds me of?
One of the great things about working at Xbox is that we have some of the smartest people in the world working on the Xbox 360. When Sony came announced the PS3, along with the product specs some of our team started looking at some of the numbers to see what they mean. Floating Point, shaders, bandwidth….what does it all mean. Clearly there are some numbers and stats that mean more to gaming then others, so the team cranked out some facts for everyone to absorb. Our world class technology team looked at the numbers and claims and decided to do what everyone else does: compare them to the PS3. The difference it that these guys are uniquely qualified to do so, and can cut through the smoke and mirrors to see what the real deal is. To that end, I present this summary, which I have broken up into four parts to make it more RSS Reader friendly.

Warning: Some of this stuff may make your head hurt, but these are the facts as they stand right now. Enjoy the read:

XBOX 360 / PLAYSTATION 3 PERFORMANCE COMPARISON

SUMMARY
Now that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 specifications have been announced, it is possible to do a real world performance comparison of the two systems.

There are three critical performance aspects of a console:
? Central Processing Unit (CPU) performance.
o The Xbox 360 CPU architecture has three times the general purpose processing power of the Cell.
? Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) performance
o The Xbox 360 GPU design is more flexible and it has more processing power than the PS3 GPU.
? Memory System Bandwidth
o The memory system bandwidth in Xbox 360 exceeds the PS3′s by five times.

The Xbox 360′s CPU has more general purpose processing power because it has three general purpose cores, and Cell has just one.

Cell’s claimed advantage is on streaming floating point work which is done on its seven DSP processors.

The Xbox 360 GPU has more processing power than the PS3′s. In addition, its innovated features contribute to overall rendering performance.

Xbox 360 has 278.4 GB/s of memory system bandwidth. The PS3 has less than one-fifth of Xbox 360′s (48 GB/s) of total memory system bandwidth.

CONCLUSION
When you break down the numbers, Xbox 360 has provably more performance than PS3. Keep in mind that Sony has a track record of over promising and under delivering on technical performance. The truth is that both systems pack a lot of power for high definition games and entertainment.

However, hardware performance, while important, is only a third of the puzzle. Xbox 360 is a fusion of hardware, software and services. Without the software and services to power it, even the most powerful hardware becomes inconsequential. Xbox 360 games?”by leveraging cutting-edge hardware, software, and services?”will outperform the PlayStation 3.

source

Can you link to those statements by developers? All I know is of anonymous stuff that says there is a significant difference, which I will provide as soon as you do.

Where have you read that? All I've seen mentioned are small differences. I have yet to see a quote that says otherwise. Would be interested if you can link us to such evidence.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I guess this is one way to downplay your opponent's advantages.
In July he said this:
Given the rumored specs for both systems, can anyone conceive of a circumstance or decision one platform holder could make, where despite the theoretical performance benchmarks of the components, the box that appears “weaker” could actually be more powerful?

-------

Where have you read that? All I've seen mentioned are small differences. I have yet to see a quote that says otherwise. Would be interested if you can link us to such evidence.
Sure. I'll do it as soon as gamechanger87 links his and if he fails to do so within an hour, I will PM you. If that is okay with you.

Sorry Albert, and this is coming from someone who only owns 6 PS3 games and about 40 360 games, but PS3 exclusives like GoW3, KZ3 etc. absolutely shit on anything that came out for 360 (graphically speaking).

It is going to be the same this gen. I actually expect PS4 to win handily in most, if not all tech and performance comparisons. There are already PS4 games that look a mile ahead of any of the X1 stuff.

The only people that will believe there is and will be no difference are....

This. And it's only going to be a slaughter this generation. No idea why Albert thinks we are all morons.

Yeah I don't think he meant it was superior though. Especially with Hawaiian Islands being released before both consoles it seems. My almost 2 year old PC still has a better cpu and graphics solution via SLI. Granted overhead is higher on PCs normally but then again I can OC the beast too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom