• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who was the bigger star during their prime: Hogan, The Rock or Stone Cold?

Grinchy

Banned
I'm going to go with Hulk. He was a worldwide star during a time when there were less entertainment choices than there are today.

As someone who never watches wrestling or really knows anything about it, I'd rank them...

1. Hogan
2. Rock
3. Stone Cold

Hulk seems to have the most cultural significance, but The Rocks Hollywood career puts him not too far behind.

DiscoJer

I don't know who Stone Cold is, to be honest.

Hulk Hogan had a lot of crossover appeal. Most of it was somewhat campy, but it was the '80s, so...

The Rock is one of the biggest stars on the planet.

Dunki

depends what you understand about Prime.

Hogan represented the old and then was reborn with the NWO. The Rock and Austin were the new generation. Overall I would think that Hogan was the biggest one and after that the Undertaker while someone like Austin represented the common fan much more than anyone else.

The Rock was the biggest entertainer though.

Alx

As a European, I was aware of Hogan being a huge wrestling star, who also appeared on some cheap TV show (the one with the transforming boat). I'm obviously aware of the Rock/Johnson being a huge movie star, who happened to be a wrestler beforehand. Never heard of Stone Cold.

Kimawolf

Hogan was a worldwide star that everyone and i mean EVERYONE knew in his prime. He laid the rails for someone like The Rock if we being honest.

Hogan was a worldwide star that everyone and i mean EVERYONE knew in his prime. He laid the rails for someone like The Rock if we being honest.

Yeah. I don't know much about wrestling and I'm not American either, but I knew Hogan back in the day. He got games, cartoons, played in movies. The whole package. I mean he transcended wrestling altogether. I know the Rock as well due to his acting career, but it's not quite the same I'd say.

BANGS

Banned

I agree with this. Rock was huge for his time, But Hogan was just plain huge...

ShodanMAN

Hulk Hogan for sure. He was the first major wrestling superstar, who transcended the business to the mainstream. The term ''Hulkamania'' didn't come from nowhere.

Stone Cold would be second. 'Austin 3:16' was the biggest cultural impact from wrestling since the Hulk Hogan era. Stone Cold was instrumental in the creation and success of the 'Attitude Era', what many fans consider the best era of wrestling. No other wrestler sold tickets like Stone Cold Steve Austin. The ''drink milk and take your vitamins'' era was replaced with the ''Arrive, raise hell, leave'' era.

Hulk Hogan was big before the TV audience split between network viewers and cable viewers. If you had a set, you could see Hulk Hogan wrestle. Stone Cold and the Rock? Needed cable for that, buddy.

Hulk Hogan was famous as a wrestler in Sweden...he is pretty much the Michael Jordan of wrestling. Even people that is not aware of it knows Hulk Hogan.

The Rock is famous as a movie star here and some people also know he did wrestling

Stone Cold i only knew from talk shows.

FMbarbarian

Stone Cold was the biggest draw purely from pro wrestling.
Hulk Hogan is the biggest cultural icon and synonymous with pro wrestling. The Rock is the biggest legitimate celebrity to come from pro wrestling. At least that’s how I see it.

appaws

Banned
Hulkster. Not even close in the non-wrestling world.

The Rock has become huge, though. He might be president soon.

Z3M0G

Hogan for sure.

Fucked up that the first movie I ever saw in theater was Hogan's Alley... I didn't even like Wrestling at that age...

Edit: Wait... I can't find the movie by that name via Google... wtf was it called... I'll need to check his IMDB...

Edit: lol, I think it was this:

p11661_p_v8_ab.jpg

Matticers

Hogan > The Rock > Stone Cold

As far as just wrestling goes, people will make as much noise for Stone Cold as they will for anyone. But outside of a wrestling arena, Hogan and Rock are bigger and more well known.

BANGS

Banned
by the way has Hogan ever apologized for saying the "n" word

An apology would be pretty stupid. It's obvious that he meant what he said, as fucked as it is we just gotta accept it. He shouldn't have to apologize for offending poeple, that's something only active working people do lol

JordanN

Banned
Hogan was so popular he got a video game character inspired by him.

KyRMdFG.jpg

All the other jabronies can't compare.

Ubername

Banned
I'm surprised at how many of you don't know who Stone Cold Steve Austin is, I'd hardly consider myself a wrestling fan but I've known of that guy since I was a wee tot.

thequestion

Late 1990's - early 2000's, stone cold was god tier.... In America.

Hulkamania was a worldwide phenomenon throughout the eighties and nineties and sort of through the 2000's.

Hulk Hogan wins.

For the record, I always hated him. He made wrestling seem like a cartoon, but that's just my opinion.

NYR

Silly question. Hogan is synonymous with Wrestling. Say wrestling and 90% of people will say Hogan.

The Rock is more popular now than he was as a wrestler so it skews it for people.

Stone Cold didn’t wrestle long enough so not surprised a lot of people never heard of him on this thread, but he was definitely the biggest star of the 90s when he was in the ring.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Flair, Orton and Cena could have their own thread 40+ championship belts between the three

Schnozberry

Hogan was absolutely huge for his time, but according to people who track the data, Steve Austin made more money for WWE than anybody else.

I don't know if that's the criteria we're measuring here, but it's definitely a measure of just how hot Steve was at his prime. Hogan was a bigger deal culturally for his time period, and he was the impetus for the first major wrestling explosion into pop culture, but due to the way WWE was structured at the time Hogan didn't work nearly as many shows or matches. Steve Austin worked 300 days a year in front of sold out Arenas for the better part of 5 years.

Vorg

Banned
Hulk Hogan. Not even a contest. He was a cultural icon spanning every media outlet at the time. The amount of merchandising was insane. He was everywhere. Even had his own cartoon show for kids.

Top Bottom