• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 does movie level cgi visuals. eyeball gif fiesta.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

^ Is the only thing that really impressed me visually, and I am almost certain its CG. =/
Almost for sure in-engine, albeit not gameplay.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why are people negating Watch Dogs because it was running on a PC? PS4 will easily run that shit.

Yeah, it's definitely doable. It was probably just easier to use PC code than get the dev units all set up. Watch_Dogs was visually exactly what I was expecting from launch games. Everything else was above my expectations.

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

I still can't get over the detail in this scene. It's so dense with so many reflective surfaces. It's the first time a game city from above has actually looked like a full fledged city to me. Even in games with bigger scale, when you see that much of it at once you can see the low res versions of buildings and abandoned streets. This looks busy everywhere.

stufte

The graphics in that capcom game are about on par with Metro 2033 running at max settings on pc.

noooot really. not really at all. metro is a fantastic looking game, but it's not anywhere near the visual fidelity of the capcom demo.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
With that sort of thread title, why wouldn't I scoff at it? It's just ridiculous. ;P
There's lots of different movie-level CGI out there, not just the kind you aspire to and achieve. And you know that.

There's still plenty of movies made where I'd take these graphics realtime over those movies' CGI renders. Hell, there's plenty of games _now_ where I wish they'd stick to their realtime engine for their cutscenes rather than employ pre-rendered CGI.

IrishNinja

i wish the games looked more exciting, but the first 2 killzone ones in the OP are indeed impressive, love to see some Vanqush/Mirror's Edge type shit looking like that

I foresee these gifs being spammed a lot over the coming months.

amekbv.gif

you don't say

The graphics in that capcom game are about on par with Metro 2033 running at max settings on pc.
Surely you aren't serious.

Metro looks pretty good, but that Capcom demo was in another league. If a game with visuals like that came out tomorrow it would certainly be the prettiest game ever and would likely hold that crown for a few years.

TheD

The Detective
ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

I still can't get over the detail in this scene. It's so dense with so many reflective surfaces. It's the first time a game city from above has actually looked like a full fledged city to me.

Not that impressive.
Just precomputed cube maps on not that high polygon meshes.

The sections on the ground on the other hand had screen space reflections (which is cool).

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Jesus Christ at Deep Down... It looks like the friggin Dark Souls 2 CGI.

Killzone, Watch Dogs both look awesome as well. Huge step up from PS3.

I think it's largely about expectations when it comes to response to graphical showcases.

I can watch something like The Avengers and not bat an eyelid at the visual effects work because hey, it's a movie and movies do crazy shit all the time.

Yet when I see the Killzone 4 footage, knowing it's running on a console I can soon enough own I just can't help but say wow.

That said, the Capcom demo definitely had a rendered vibe, that HUD was pretty laughable.

ironcreed

Banned
Not that impressive.

The sections on the ground on the other hand had screen space reflections (which is cool).

The detail of all the buildings and objects in the distance, along with the lighting and reflective properties is so good that it damn near passes for CGI in a movie. I would say that is pretty impressive.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not that impressive.

The final result looks great though. I'm not concerned with whether or not it was meticulously modeled. In fact, I'm probably more impressed that it was a simple process because I was really wondering how they crammed that much detail in there.

Eusis

i wish the games looked more exciting, but the first 2 killzone ones in the OP are indeed impressive, love to see some Vanqush/Mirror's Edge type shit looking like that

amekbv.gif

you don't say
On that note, that makes me realize it's WAY easier to look amazing in .gif form versus the real deal at full resolution. I'm sure the difference would be night and day between "X" and Killzone there, but in gif form? X doesn't look too far behind, or at least still looks really impressive.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hey I've always meant to ask, let's take a movie like Rango which is entirely CGI, what would the average number of calculations per frame be by your reckoning?

There's an article about it here: http://www.3dworldmag.com/2012/02/20/ilm-reveals-the-making-of-rango/

Vital statistics

Total shots in film: 1,547
Total shots featuring Rango: 1,068
Total animation shots: 1,528
Animation man-hours: 79,724
Rate of animation: Two weeks for five seconds
Longest shot: 1,505 frames
Shots per night: 350 at peak
Render time: 120 million hours (13,670 years)
Render farm: Total processors 5,500, plus approx 3,000 high-end desktop systems used as needed (generally at night). Rango was one of up to eight large shows going through the facility over the course of its production.
Average time per shot: 12 hours to complete and render all the elements in one frame
Storage: 371TB during peak production, although the entire show was never online at one time

Yeah, people suckered into believing all of that was gameplay (or even in-game) is going to be disappointed. Some cool tech demos though. Hardware has the potential for awesome things.

I read in another thread that Guerilla may have only been working with 4 GB of RAM while working on this. Is there any validity to that?

FourMyle

lmao @ all the denial in this thread

We have people who go "meh. not impressed" and others who say it's all fake cgi.

There will be some crow eating 4 months from now.

mxgt

Banned
lol at thread title.

And I really hate downsampled gifs as any kind of evidence of visual quality.

I'm waiting for resolution and frame rate info. If it's still 720/30 then fuck that.

Top Bottom