• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 does movie level cgi visuals. eyeball gif fiesta.

TheD

The Detective
The detail of all the buildings and objects in the distance, along with the lighting and reflective properties is so good that it damn near passes for CGI in a movie. I would say that is pretty impressive.

No, just no. It's good but it's not even close to standard movie CGI.

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

A small gif like this makes it look better than what it really is.

Ah this kind of hyperbole sounds familiar:

Gates said the 3-D chips in the Xbox would be three times faster than anything on the market and offer nearly unlimited graphical visuals. "We're approaching the level of detail seen in Toy Story 2," he said, referring to the computer-generated kids film from Disney/Pixar.

And that was the original XBox, mind you.

Games will look great, let's leave it at that.

well damn.

You should see Avatar
The visual effects department at Weta comprises of some major processing power consisting of 34 racks, each with four chassis of 32 machines a piece. The combination of those machines comprises a total of 40,000 processors along with 104 terabytes of memory using 10 GB networking adapters. And if you are wondering what type of computers Weta Digital uses, during an upgrade back in the summer of 2008 their system was rebuilt with over 4,000 HP BL2x220c blade computers.

To tackle the task of helping create Avatar, it took the Weta Digital super computers processing up to 1.4 million tasks per day to render the movie, which consisted of processing 8 gigabytes of data per second running 24 hours for over a month. Often each of Avatar’s frames took several hours to render. And when you consider that is just one frame out of 24 for every second of film, you can imagine why the major processing power at Weta Digital was needed.

I think this gen will be the gen of "OMG SO MUCH PARTICLES ON-SCREEN"... almost every game shown had particles everywhere: Infamous, Deep Down, Watch Dogs, Knack, etc. I mean, it's not that it's bad, but they shouldn't abuse them.

And, IMO, Deep Down it's possibly running in real time EXCEPT for the Fire (which personally looks leagues beyond anything we've seen so far) which I guess is some sort of dense particles in motion of some sort, but the lighting and everything else seems possible (UE4 shows the same effects being used).

I'm thrilled by all of this but I want to know if it'll be 1080p at 60/30fps with AA! I need that!

Angry Fork

Just like 8gb, so many people will eat crow once they realize the Capcom one is real and games will be able to look like that next-gen.

Luthos

I love how some people are saying it's not that impressive compared to high end PC games, and some are saying it's obviously CG/pre-rendered, and people are being fooled.

JordanN

Banned
The whole CG talk can be summed up by when XiaNaphryz said why use renderfarms and not consoles to make movies?

It's really a ridiculous notion, no matter how "good" a game looks.

Edit: And it's not just looks. Movies can have some demanding physics engine running in the background.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Excuse my ignorance, what console is this from? And is it Ninja Gaiden?

It's X for Wii U.

I think this gen will be the gen of "OMG SO MUCH PARTICLES ON-SCREEN"... almost every game shown had particles everywhere: Infamous, Deep Down, Watch Dogs, Knack, etc. I mean, it's not that it's bad, but they shouldn't abuse them.

And, IMO, Deep Down it's possibly running in real time EXCEPT for the Fire (which personally looks leagues beyond anything we've seen so far) which I guess is some sort of dense particles in motion or some sort, but the lighting and everything else seems possible (UE4 shows the same effects being used).

I'm thrilled by all of this but I want to know if it'll be 1080p at 60/30fps with AA! I need that!

I thought the Killzone particles were very impressive. The fire and smoke just looked right. No other game has had those effects not stand out as looking off to me before.

Log4Girlz

The whole CG talk can be summed up by when XiaNaphryz said why use renderfarms and not consoles to make movies?

I think some games will be good enough for non-gamers to look at their televisions and ask "What movie is this?". But no discerning eye will ever actually be fooled into believing it is movie quality.

The best quality movie CGI today is so good that people will often look at one specific detail or character and laugh at it still not looking natural in a real environment while not realizing that the entire environment is CGI.

bhlaab

By the way, I just watched the E3 demo for Aliens Colonial Marines and it looks just like the movie! It was all in-engine, too! Can't wait to go pick it up.

I love how some people are saying it's not that impressive compared to high end PC games, and some are saying it's obviously CG/pre-rendered, and people are being fooled.

I also love those saying what the PS4 "clearly" is and isn't capable of ("that's CLEARLY CG, PS4 can't do that"), despite none of them knowing anything concrete about the architecture until a few hours ago.

strata8

There might be merit in using game engines to create low-budget CG movies though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
There might be merit in using game engines to create low-budget CG movies though.

That's essentially what some games have been doing already. There are some games where they have the in-game cutscenes actually rendered out using the game engine so most of the look is still the same, but because they're pre-rendered they can do some additional effects in the scenes that would normally bring the framerate down to a crawl. As long as the movie compression used isn't terrible, many players can't tell the cutscene they're watching is actually not real-time.

JordanN

Banned
Unless the film is specifically or coincidently targets console specs, it's not the same. Even then, you could have a film rendering a level of IQ not seen in games.

I.e, give Uncharted 3 16xAA downsampled from 4k and it's not a PS3 game anymore.

Zaventem

go look at the opening shot of Irobot's "future chicago". I watched the bluray recently and it was okay looking. its close.

You're a good joker.Go look at Avengers and tell me that any game shown matches that.It's gotten so good some people don't even known when they're looking at cgi.Zodiac is also a good example.This looks great but at this direct screenshot from the game on the PS flickr and you'll see any tiny ass gif can make something look even better.

VXLbeast

Just like 8gb, so many people will eat crow once they realize the Capcom one is real and games will be able to look like that next-gen.

I'm excited to arrive there, and for the loud and rambunctious journey to get there. PC butthurt, over-charged expectations, self pro-claimed experts, out-rageous comparisons: I want it all.

Yeah, it's definitely doable. It was probably just easier to use PC code than get the dev units all set up. Watch_Dogs was visually exactly what I was expecting from launch games. Everything else was above my expectations.

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

I still can't get over the detail in this scene. It's so dense with so many reflective surfaces. It's the first time a game city from above has actually looked like a full fledged city to me. Even in games with bigger scale, when you see that much of it at once you can see the low res versions of buildings and abandoned streets. This looks busy everywhere.

I was impressed by everything until the game play started. I don't now why I was expecting more than generic shooter #1005, but I think the shock of 8gb had my expectations set to high.

Deep Down and watch dogs were the only things that really stood out to me.

Log4Girlz

Unless the film is specifically or coincidently targets console specs, it's not the same. Even then, you could have a film rendering a level of IQ not seen in games.

I.e, give Uncharted 3 16xAA downsampled from 4k and it's not a PS3 game anymore.

That's the biggest problems with all videogame graphics...the IQ level. If you were to take a top level game and make it as clean as what appears in movies...then yeah I can imagine you getting confused and thinking the game was some low budget flick.

I thought the Killzone particles were very impressive. The fire and smoke just looked right. No other game has had those effects not stand out as looking off to me before.

They were pretty good! But for me personally is like they're trying to show off something PhysX has been doing for a while now: PhysX Demo on Planetside 2.

But to be clear, is not that I'm complaining about this at all... but it seems that particles are going to be last-gen (current-gen) HDR.

Anyway, games shown were great! The biggest surprise was Deep Down, and Watch Dogs continue to surprise but was overshadowed this time around. For almost everything else, there is something relatively similar on the market right now which isn't bad since PC has been on the next-gen wagon a little while ago!

GO SONY!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As I noted in the other thread, I'm not confident that the Deep Down trailer represents playable, animated gameplay, but I have no doubt it's real time in-engine footage either running directly from the PS4 hardware or at the very least PC.

Frame analysing the footage, you can spot the following (I can't believe I'm doing this):

0:26 - Weird DOF at seam as the camera comes into focus of the flame.
0:31 - Fabric tears and stitching on bald guy's cloak are textured on.
0:35 - Pretty typical bloom/glow emanating from the dude's face, simulating illumination from fire. Can also see a seam where the hair* poly is modelled onto the head.
0:42 - Show resolution flickers on the rocks to the left as the torch passes around.
0:43 - Pixellated DOF edge.
0:48 - Standard SSAO/HDAO.
0:52 - What looks like shadow flickering or even z-fighting on the pillars.
1:12 - Sharp pixels when shiny edges are introduced to per object motion blur (you sometimes see this in Crysis 2).
1:18 - Relatively muddy ground texture.
1:22 - Small, physics generated debris 'floating', not colliding with the ground properly.
*and to note that, there's no detailed hair strands/simulation (eyelashes, facial hair, head heair) anywhere in the demo.

Again, not sure about those animations being actual gameplay. And some aspects could be fake with pre-canned, heavily scripted animations (eg: fire). But it looks both fucking incredible and a real time engine demonstration. Flaws are not really negatives, so much as evidence of the reality of real times graphics processing. It's why Ubisoft's bullshot screenshots always have a weird, uncanny look, even though most are using in-game assets. The rendering is always oversampled and touched up, so it's not technically real time anything.

This, on the other hand, looks bona fide real time.

(._.)

Banned
itt people too young to remember the last console launch and haven't realized half the shit they show off at these things are target render'd CG trailers disguised as gameplay.

I'll wait till we have more gameplay footage. That Capcom one looks too advanced even for the PS4.

Capcom's stuff looks like a target render with a hud tacked on and the infamous trailer also looks like a target render as well. The other stuff still looks impressive though.

If the hardware can actually pull stuff of that is on display by either Capcom or SE in during gameplay then I will really be impressed.

You're a good joker.Go look at Avengers and tell me that any game shown matches that.It's gotten so good some people don't even known when they're looking at cgi.Zodiac is also a good example.This looks great but at this direct screenshot from the game on the PS flickr and you'll see any tiny ass gif can make something look even better.

I said I robot. I'm not deluded to think that a $500-600 home console can rival movies that cost 100+ million and months to render (via vfx houses like weta+iLM).

But these are interactive games with active game engines and ai and they're damn amazing looking.

Need more gifs people.

RiverBed

Banned
Shitty grab quality (no direct feed!):
iOl.jpg

You can see his soul.

Also, Capcom came out of nowhere and dropped a graphical bomb. Imagine the implication of such quality on emotion (Quantic Dream) and Horror (think a Siren or a Fatal Frame).

Soi-Fong

itt people too young to remember the last console launch and haven't realized half the shit they show off at these things are target render'd CG trailers disguised as gameplay.

Damn son really? Pretty sure that Killzone sequence was being played right in front of our eyes. I'd garner the only "CG" in the whole presentation was Deep Down.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Flaws are not really negatives, so much as evidence of the reality of real times graphics processing.

This is essentially my view on the whole thing - there are enough little clues throughout the footage that make it clear it's still real time (and even then, there's still a chance portions of it could be pre-rendered using a real-time game engine as the renderer to give it a real-time look, per my post earlier) and not "movie level cgi."

FordGTGuy

Banned
Sorry guys but this isn't anywhere even close to modern CGI quality.

It looks great but not even a Geforce Titan 3-way SLI with a i7 can do CGI quality.

CGI isn't even done in real time they use super computers to render a frame at a time.

TheD

The Detective
LMAO. Lot of comedy gold in this thread. I guess you guys get personalized PC games not released to the public.

Go away.

The backgrounds are not that great looking, lots of other games can give you far away low poly buildings with a cube map for reflections!

Top Bottom