• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

numble

You can pay for the phone full price on a carrier and it’s not necessarily SIM-free. Was it activated at all or did you have to manually move a SIM to it?

https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/13/sim-free-iphone-7-and-iphone-7-plus/

October 13th, roughly a month after launch

Same with the 6s

https://9to5mac.com/2015/10/08/sim-free-unlocked-iphone-6s/

iPhone 6 wasn’t until January

https://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2015/01/06/sim-free-iphone-6/#756f8ba3471c

For a long time even though they did not offer a SIM-free version at launch, you could buy a Sprint iPhone for full-price and it would be unlocked for GSM networks.

kaskade

I like the white, and it'll probably look a little better long term caseless as white shows less scratches. On the other side, I like the black as it looks a little more uniform with the space gray aluminum on the sides. I'm leaning towards the black as I had a silver 7+.

I always get myself all worked up overt this even though it doesn't matter, this one less so since all the fronts are black. I kind of just want whichever one I'll get the earliest.

Kibbles

I'm never getting a case again after taking my 7 plus out of its case recently. Tons of chips in the paint I guess from stuff getting underneath and trapped but it wasn't even that dirty. It sucks. :(

crustikid

So the silver isn’t silver, it’s white?

I’m going 64GB silver. Hopefully everyone else goes black.

This is the question I’ve had since the announcement/keynote demo videos. I really want to see the X in different lighting that’s not perfectly well lit like in the demo area on the Apple campus. I think the X appears white because it’s so bright in that room and the glass back adds a layer of reflectiveness. I think in a dark bar the phone will still look silver. At 7m21s this guy in the MKBHD video is holding the white phone downward reflecting less light and it most definitely looks silver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HTXMhKWqnA&t=7m21s

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is the question I’ve had since the announcement/keynote demo videos. I really want to see the X in different lighting that’s not perfectly well lit like in the demo area on the Apple campus. I think the X appears white because it’s so bright in that room and the glass back adds a layer of reflectiveness. I think in a dark bar the phone will still look silver. At 7m21s this guy in the MKBHD video is holding the white phone downward reflecting less light and it most definitely looks silver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HTXMhKWqnA&t=7m21s

it could also be affected by the white balance on the camera and the ambient lighting.

Someone suggested the 'silver' and 'space grey' refer to the band colours rather than the back, and that makes sense as the space grey is clearly black on the back

crustikid

it could also be affected by the white balance on the camera and the ambient lighting.

Someone suggested the 'silver' and 'space grey' refer to the band colours rather than the back, and that makes sense as the space grey is clearly black on the back

Yeah, white balance will only affect the color termperture or kelvin, and make something either more blue or more yellow.

As for the bands, it’s possible, but i think looking at the iPhone 8 models in store today will offer some insight into how the X may look in person. The gold iPhone 8 looks like its white with a creamy gold tint.

kaskade

So Anker’s new case company sent me a case for the X (the packaging still says edition) but I do like the feeling of the size. Getting a plus sized screen (or close to) in the form factor of the 6 is so nice. The wait over the next month is going to be brutal, that assuming I can get a launch day unit.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Is there any news about pre-orders for this guy yet? Or am I daft and just can't interweb very well.

kaskade

Is there any news about pre-orders for this guy yet? Or am I daft and just can't interweb very well.

Nah nothing yet, just that they’ll be on the 27th of October. If you’re on the iPhone Upgrade Program they will let you get preapproved before hand to have a fair shot.

DOWN

Banned
Nah nothing yet, just that they’ll be on the 27th of October. If you’re on the iPhone Upgrade Program they will let you get preapproved before hand to have a fair shot.
How does that work? Can that be done yet for iPhone X?

Nitsuj23

Do you know the process for if I want to purchase the X as part of the iPhone Upgrade Program, but it'll be my first purchase as part of the program? Wondering if I can do the preapproval too? Otherwise I imagine I have no shot of placing a timely order.

sangreal

Do you know the process for if I want to purchase the X as part of the iPhone Upgrade Program, but it'll be my first purchase as part of the program? Wondering if I can do the preapproval too? Otherwise I imagine I have no shot of placing a timely order.

I had no problem getting a 7+ on day one while signing up for IUP for the first time

kaskade

How does that work? Can that be done yet for iPhone X?

Nope not yet, I’m guessing they’ll open it up a week or two beforehand.

I upgraded my girlfriends but I didn’t pre approve because she decided to get after the preorder date but from what I’ve read you just go through the process and then pick the phone, when orders go live you just click order.

The process to upgrade was really easy this time though, you just fill out all the info in the app and it says your approved. A much easier process than doing it in the store like last time.

dc89

For UK GAF

Vodafone have put up some pricing for iPhone X tariffs.

Red Extra plan – 16GB + 10GB extra data for £68 a month with £150 upfront
Red Extra plan – 40GB + 10GB extra data for £74 a month with £100 upfront
Red Entertainment plan – 32GB + 10GB extra data for £74 a month with £150 upfront
Red Entertainment plan – 60GB + 10GB extra data for £80 a month with £50 upfront

And remember O2's indicative pricing?

Well they've took down the 10GB plan for £72 a month so all they have up now is the 20GB plan for £77 a month.
Interesting.

I had no problem getting a 7+ on day one while signing up for IUP for the first time
Wow, really? I've been doing this since the 3G and it was the worst preorder process I've ever experienced for any product. I was up at 2:55AM (NYC) and was refreshing 3 computers and the Apple Store app until I had to go to work; I'm talking a circle of devices refreshing THOUSANDS of times. At work I continued the process, finally getting an order through and missing all of the initial shipments. Didn't get the phone until at least a month after launch.

I expect this to be 100x worse; nobody is buying the 8. And I'll be in London on hotel wifi, where I'm still not even sure I can order given the FAQ in the Apple Store app.
:(

crustikid

FYI at the store now and the iPhone 8 silver that looks white in most press definitely has a silver back in person. It mostly depends on how the glass back catches light that makes it appear white.

Going with a silver iPhone X for sure now.

DOWN

Banned
FYI at the store now and the iPhone 8 silver that looks white in most press definitely has a silver back in person. It mostly depends on how the glass back catches light that makes it appear white.

Going with a silver iPhone X for sure now.
Wait seriously? That’s so strange how white they all look in pics. If the back of the X is true silver then I think I’d really love that. Back to that original iPhone 1 aesthetic.

I upgraded my girlfriends but I didn’t pre approve because she decided to get after the preorder date but from what I’ve read you just go through the process and then pick the phone, when orders go live you just click order.
I think you can only get preapproved when upgrading, first time users have to do it during their ordering process.

kaskade

I think you can only get preapproved when upgrading, first time users have to do it during their ordering process.

That’ll be rough day of then. I’ve been on the program since they introduced and now they they smoothed everything out I’m loving it. I don’t know when she’ll be getting the box in to return her old phone though, unless she has some email about it. I’ll have to check when she gets home from work.

Blargh, I'll be in Germany for work. Fingers Crossed.

I'm on T-mobile Jump! can we pre-order through them, or is this Apple direct only?

You would do it through T-Mobile directly, since they give Apple very little access to their system for online upgrades

LordOfChaos

https://t.co/TUESjuMFAA

Pentile diamond matrix. Rene suggests there's more Apple has done here, but on further digging it sounds like he's backing off of any major OLED customization and more talking about their general good calibration

Samsung OLED is Samsung OLED But there's tons Apple can do, and did do, to make the X display.
— Rene Ritchie (@reneritchie) September 23, 2017

Presented as it is for whatever it's worth. As a reminder, a diamond matrix pentile screen means that of the iPhone X's 450PPI, the red and blue colour channels actually have 2/3rds of that, ending up at resolving power closer to the base 8, rather than 400PPI Plus. The green channel, where people can see more detail with our eyeballs, does have the advertised resolution. Pentile also has nonlinear arrangement problems.

Since the diamond matrix is beyond question, I think we'll see that the Plus, not the X, is still the sharpest iPhone screen around, though there's obvious OLED benefits to contrast ratio.

Personally I'm on an iPhone 7 and I can easily see that things aren't perfectly sharp in any fine text or icon with a curve, even every homescreen icon, so 2 out of 3 channels having the resolving power of the 6-8 rather than the Pluses is a bit of a letdown. So in end sharpness, it'll be a bit above the base iPhone, but closer to that and still below the Plus which is noticeably better than the base.

So why wasn't anyone complaining with the Note 8? Well, that has a 520ppi screen, that still lands it above the regular iPhone on its worst colour channels, while being well above on its best. So Pentile isn't inherently bad, but pentile plus 450ppi is looking like it'll land below the Plus on raw sharpness so far.

Of course, when it launches, 99% of people will think it looks great. 99% of people don't seem to notice the jaggies on the base iPhone either. That's fine. Just putting this here for those who care.

Looks like this:
DJkXlHoXUAUMDrM.0.jpg

mrkgoo

https://t.co/TUESjuMFAA

Pentile diamond matrix. Rene suggests there's more Apple has done here, but on further digging it sounds like he's backing off of any major OLED customization and more talking about their general good calibration

— Rene Ritchie (@reneritchie) September 23, 2017

Presented as it is for whatever it's worth. As a reminder, a diamond matrix pentile screen means that of the iPhone X's 450PPI, the red and blue colour channels actually have 2/3rds of that, ending up at resolving power closer to the base 8, rather than 400PPI Plus. The green channel, where people can see more detail with our eyeballs, does have the advertised resolution. Pentile also has nonlinear arrangement problems.

Since the diamond matrix is beyond question, I think we'll see that the Plus, not the X, is still the sharpest iPhone screen around, though there's obvious OLED benefits to contrast ratio.

Personally I'm on an iPhone 7 and I can easily see that things aren't perfectly sharp in any fine text or icon with a curve, even every homescreen icon, so 2 out of 3 channels having the resolving power of the 6-8 rather than the Pluses is a bit of a letdown. So in end sharpness, it'll be a bit above the base iPhone, but closer to that and still below the Plus which is noticeably better than the base.

So why wasn't anyone complaining with the Note 8? Well, that has a 520ppi screen, that still lands it above the regular iPhone on its worst colour channels, while being well above on its best. So Pentile isn't inherently bad, but pentile plus 450ppi is looking like it'll land below the Plus on raw sharpness so far.

Of course, when it launches, 99% of people will think it looks great. 99% of people don't seem to notice the jaggies on the base iPhone either. That's fine. Just putting this here for those who care.
I wonder if it has teat weird blue tint on side angles that I hate with most LED screens.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Step 1 complete - put full amount for phone on 0% credit card and set up regular payments to clear the cost in 24 months. That way I can reserve quickly in the app and the cost is the same as Iphone payments (which would have required me to go into a store which will be impossible)

III-V

Finally got around to watching the keynote this morning. Now I am wanting that X. I own my 6s+, and while functional, now I literally see 'an old phone' when looking at it after the keynote. I see that looking at the 8 and 8+ as well.

Of course, its going to be very difficult to get a preorder in, but maybe it doesn't matter, and I have to wait, as I think that will just need to be my next phone...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I know iPhone X has a bigger display screen than 8+ but what about the width? Is it a smaller display area in terms of width?

Physically wider than 8, but the same number of points. Does that mean it will display the same amount of content as an 8 but a tiny bit bigger due to the physical size?

For 16:9 video it should be somewhere in between an 8 and 8+ for size

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
damn pre orders will be that hard?

i was hoping to just walk into my local t mobile when it opens on 10/27 and pre order one...

AndTAR

I wonder if it has teat weird blue tint on side angles that I hate with most LED screens.
That's a bit of my fear as well with this display - but I know it is possible to avoid, at least: while I have had modern OLED phones that showed this tint (like Galaxy S7), others seemed to avoid it completely (Google Pixel was one of these.) I guess it's one of the things that would make sense for Apple to try to avoid, especially if Google's competing product doesn't show it.

damn pre orders will be that hard?

i was hoping to just walk into my local t mobile when it opens on 10/27 and pre order one...

I think the best comparison you can reference is the SNES Mini launch

or

the original iPhone/iPhone 2 launches. Ergo, you might need to get in line the day before at a local store. There is a good to great possibility that if you don't get it locked in on day 1, you might be waiting months.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Do carrier offers only apply if you order the phone through them, or can you order it through Apple and get them too?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I think the best comparison you can reference is the SNES Mini launch

or

the original iPhone/iPhone 2 launches. Ergo, you might need to get in line the day before at a local store. There is a good to great possibility that if you don't get it locked in on day 1, you might be waiting months.

damn... thanks

T-Mobile is doing the $300 trade in offer for the X. I'll wait, then.

whats the offer?

Top Bottom