• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
giphy.gif

hmmmm not sure how i will prefer to watch things, the extra real estate is nice but the notch...

Zaph

hmmmm not sure how i will prefer to watch things, the extra real estate is nice but the notch...

Most of the videos I watch on my phone are youtube/social/internet nonsense, so I doubt the notch will bother me - those things aren't exactly masterpieces of cinematography. In fact, I don't think I've ever watched a full film or tv show on my phone...

KevinG

Most of the videos I watch on my phone are youtube/social/internet nonsense, so I doubt the notch will bother me - those things aren't exactly masterpieces of cinematography. In fact, I don't think I've ever watched a full film or tv show on my phone...

I always think I will, but never do. This is coming from someone who has had a new iPhone at least every other year since the 4S, and sometimes more frequently.

dc89

I think white back with black front looks gross so I’m going with Space Grey

I think the stainless steel band and the band around the camera makes it look ok.
I need to see some more pics before I make up my mind but for the first time since the iPhone 5 I’m thinking of getting something other than space grey.

dalyr95

From the UK. Due to the currency difference, thinking about doing a long weekend in Boston/D.C due to New Hampshire/Delaware being near by (0% sales tax). Can you preorder to a store for a certain date? I imagine no.

RS4-

Re: my post earlier, no idea what the fuck I read or where, thinking that the X only had OIS on one rather than both lenses; hence my hesitation when I saw the 8+ compared to the n8.

Anyway, got a month to figure it out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
From the UK. Due to the currency difference, thinking about doing a long weekend in Boston/D.C due to New Hampshire/Delaware being near by (0% sales tax). Can you preorder to a store for a certain date? I imagine no.

Was a bit considering this - plus the bonus of the phone not having CE gubbins all over the back. But worried about availability, and paying in advance if the card doesn’t match the country you’re picking up in. Are they global warranty?

dc89

Won’t you have to declare it at customs?

Fliesen

They really need to show it off using videos that are 16:9 so we can see exactly how much margin we actually have. They keep using cinematic videos which are much wider and of course will look wrong.

16:9 should look pretty much exactly like on a black iPhone 7 because that screen's already 16:9 and the 'side' bezels (when holding the phone upright) haven't been slimmed down.

The difference being the top and bottom bezel being physical on the iPhone 7, yet perfectly black OLED on the X.

edit: beaten by Guess Who

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Keep in mind for movies shot in that aspect ratio zooming in all the way will crop part of the picture

but the movie wasn't shot at the phone aspect ratio. It was shot 2.35:1. So zooming in, you can still see the edges of the screen being cut off (besides the notch. look at the left edge).

zooming is bad. the notch just makes it double bad, instead of single bad. in theory if we ever get an 18.5:9 shot movie, then we can complain. otherwise, watch the movie in its shot aspect ratio (which will have black bars on the side)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
16:9 video just makes it look like a normal iPhone (especially with OLED blacks blending perfectly into the frame).

16:9 should look pretty much exactly like on a black iPhone 7 because that screen's already 16:9 and the 'side' bezels (when holding the phone upright) haven't been slimmed down.

The difference being the top and bottom bezel being physical on the iPhone 7, yet perfectly black OLED on the X.

edit: beaten by Guess Who
Cool.

They really should let you zoom on videos like you can photos so you can scale and adjust it to how you want it to get the most picture size you can without any obstruction.

Fliesen

but the movie wasn't shot at the phone aspect ratio. It was shot 2.35:1. So zooming in, you can still see the edges of the screen being cut off (besides the notch. look at the left edge).

zooming is bad. the notch just makes it double bad, instead of single bad. in theory if we ever get an 18.5:9 shot movie, then we can complain. otherwise, watch the movie in its shot aspect ratio (which will have black bars on the side)

also, the zoom function ALWAYS cut off parts of the image - now it cuts off way less and one side has the notch, but it's not like zooming into a 2.35:1 video was ever a good idea and the X somehow ruined that.

Cool.

They really should let you zoom on videos like you can photos so you can scale and adjust it to how you want it to get the most picture size you can without any obstruction.

but that's exactly what's happening here.
the one with the black "frame" is the largest possible image without any loss of picture.
the zoomed in one is the video stretched so the black bars on top and bottom disappear.

I don't think it's worthwhile to have an option in between.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They really need to show it off using videos that are 16:9 so we can see exactly how much margin we actually have. They keep using cinematic videos which are much wider and of course will look wrong.

I wonder if 1080p 16:9 video is displayed 1:1 or it it gets scaled up a tiny bit to 1125 high? (I think that’s the resolution)

Flo_Evans

https://t.co/TUESjuMFAA

Pentile diamond matrix. Rene suggests there's more Apple has done here, but on further digging it sounds like he's backing off of any major OLED customization and more talking about their general good calibration

— Rene Ritchie (@reneritchie) September 23, 2017

Presented as it is for whatever it's worth. As a reminder, a diamond matrix pentile screen means that of the iPhone X's 450PPI, the red and blue colour channels actually have 2/3rds of that, ending up at resolving power closer to the base 8, rather than 400PPI Plus. The green channel, where people can see more detail with our eyeballs, does have the advertised resolution. Pentile also has nonlinear arrangement problems.

Since the diamond matrix is beyond question, I think we'll see that the Plus, not the X, is still the sharpest iPhone screen around, though there's obvious OLED benefits to contrast ratio.

Personally I'm on an iPhone 7 and I can easily see that things aren't perfectly sharp in any fine text or icon with a curve, even every homescreen icon, so 2 out of 3 channels having the resolving power of the 6-8 rather than the Pluses is a bit of a letdown. So in end sharpness, it'll be a bit above the base iPhone, but closer to that and still below the Plus which is noticeably better than the base.

So why wasn't anyone complaining with the Note 8? Well, that has a 520ppi screen, that still lands it above the regular iPhone on its worst colour channels, while being well above on its best. So Pentile isn't inherently bad, but pentile plus 450ppi is looking like it'll land below the Plus on raw sharpness so far.

Of course, when it launches, 99% of people will think it looks great. 99% of people don't seem to notice the jaggies on the base iPhone either. That's fine. Just putting this here for those who care.

Looks like this:
DJkXlHoXUAUMDrM.0.jpg

interesting, here is a macro I just took of the 8 screen for comparison.

hq5PKKr.jpg

Natiko

Banned
I have a 6, this is the best deal I can find. If I had a 7, I'd look elsewhere, but for someone still rocking a 6 it's an easy decision.
Yeah, I have a 128GB 7. Really does seem like I’m better off waiting a year. Bit of a bummer because I like the look of the X.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Starting to get anxious reading all the articles about production issues.

How does Apple usually handle a sell out situation when the preorders open? Will the delivery time just keep getting longer, but I will still be able to get a place in the queue, or will they just become "Unavailable"?

How does Apple usually handle a sell out situation when the preorders open? Will the delivery time just keep getting longer, but I will still be able to get a place in the queue, or will they just become "Unavailable"?

I think the order queue gets longer up to a point and then they might take it down. Not sure though.

I remember it being about a month for my iPhone 6.

I think if you do it as soon as they go up you should at least be on the queue.

DOWN

Banned

As shipments sell out, you can still order but the date it says for estimated delivery just gets further out, usually jumping by one to two weeks each time they hit a threshold. You can see the estimated shipping time before you place the order so you’ll know when you go to order it if you are getting in on the launch batch, so long as you’re quick to finish the order.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I think white back with black front looks gross so I’m going with Space Grey
The white back on the 8 and X are actually an off white ceramic color. Not the same white as the front of the 8s. The back of all the space gray phones is dark gray and not pure black.

This isn’t directly at you just keep seeing this misconception generally.

aravuus

The white back on the 8 and X are actually an off white ceramic color. Not the same white as the front of the 8s. The back of all the space gray phones is dark gray and not pure black.

I really wish space gray was actually just black. At least it looks better than the ugly gray my OnePlus 3 is, I guess.

DOWN

Banned

Still would call it white. It’s definitely not just a layer of glass over steel/ anodized aluminum color as some hoped. It’s not paper white but it seems unmistakably white.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Still would call it white. It’s definitely not just a layer of glass over steel/ anodized aluminum color as some hoped. It’s not paper white but it seems unmistakably white.
For sure. But it is not as white as the white bezel of previous phones (or the 8 itself). I don’t think people are expecting that tbh.

Chittagong

Gold Member
As shipments sell out, you can still order but the date it says for estimated delivery just gets further out, usually jumping by one to two weeks each time they hit a threshold. You can see the estimated shipping time before you place the order so you’ll know when you go to order it if you are getting in on the launch batch, so long as you’re quick to finish the order.

I think the order queue gets longer up to a point and then they might take it down. Not sure though.

I remember it being about a month for my iPhone 6.

I think if you do it as soon as they go up you should at least be on the queue.

Thanks! And Apple Store app is the quickest path to checkout right? I’ll just need to do an watch band order or something to ensure my details, cards etc. work

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Definitely the App from what I have been hearing. If you can setup Apple Pay, all the better.

How do you set up Apple Pay? I have Apple Pay set up in the phone but in the Apple store app it just has my credit card. Typing in a 3 digit security code isn’t too big a deal but every little helps

Kyoufu

I'm hoping someone makes an always-on display app for the X. I'd like to check the time and notifications without waking the screen.

How do you set up Apple Pay? I have Apple Pay set up in the phone but in the Apple store app it just has my credit card. Typing in a 3 digit security code isn’t too big a deal but every little helps

It should offer it at checkout if you have Apple Pay in your phone. Add something to your cart and test it out

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
How do you set up Apple Pay? I have Apple Pay set up in the phone but in the Apple store app it just has my credit card. Typing in a 3 digit security code isn't too big a deal but every little helps

Have you ever used Apple Pay in an app before? you can pay for anything from the Apple Store app with Apple Pay. It just comes up as a payment method at the end. Might even be a "checkout with apple pay" button if I remember.

It should offer it at checkout if you have Apple Pay in your phone. Add something to your cart and test it out

oh yeah, duh.. just go to buy something and the Apple Pay button should be there... hit it (but then cancel) and you'll see.

Top Bottom