• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

Why is the lack of headphone jack a deal-breaker? I understand it being a hefty con in a list you're weighing against the pros of the X, but the dongle really isn't something you notice when using it. And now that the phone can charge wirelessly, the major issue of not being able to listen while charging disappears. I know wireless chargers aren't free, but you said price isn't the issue. Not trying to tell you your business; I'm just interested in a use case I might not have thought of.

I use my headphones with a bunch of different devices throughout the course of the day. I have a home desktop, and work desktop, a laptop, a Switch and 3DS, and an iPhone. Only half of these devices are made by Apple and would work with the Airpods's seamless device-switching. Only one of them has a lightning port.

In order to use my wired headphones with any device other than an iPhone, I'd have to unplug the dongle—which invariably means I would LOSE the dongle and become unable to plug in my headphones. Switching to standard Bluetooth headphones would make switching between devices a five minute affair. Switching to Airpods would mean abandoning all my non-Apple devices.

I don't see this ever getting solved until Apple either:
1) Switches from lightning to USB Type C (and my other devices adopt USB C, but that will happen eventually anyway)
2) Enables NFC Bluetooth pairing on the iPhone
3) Opens W1 to non-Apple platforms

All three seem equally unlikely, and the entire situation still really pisses me off. I just bought a brand new iPhone 6S and it will probably be the last iPhone I ever buy.

jts

...hate me...
I use my headphones with a bunch of different devices throughout the course of the day. I have a home desktop, and work desktop, a laptop, a Switch and 3DS, and an iPhone. Only half of these devices are made by Apple and would work with the Airpods's seamless device-switching. Only one of them has a lightning port.

In order to use my wired headphones with any device other than an iPhone, I'd have to unplug the dongle—which invariably means I would LOSE the dongle and become unable to plug in my headphones. Switching to standard Bluetooth headphones would make switching between devices a five minute affair. Switching to Airpods would mean abandoning all my non-Apple devices.

1) Switches from lightning to USB Type C (and my other devices adopt USB C, but that will happen eventually anyway)

All three seem equally unlikely, and the entire situation still really pisses me off. I just bought a brand new iPhone 6S and it will probably be the last iPhone I ever buy.
Use something to attach the dongle to the wire or make a habit of putting it in a safe place like the 3DS case or Switch case. I mean, the dongle is small (that’s what she said :( ) but so is, say, a Switch game.

Fliesen

how so?
the AirPods, just like other W1 head and earphones work with non-apple devices too, albeit don't pair as seamlessly. - i use my beatsX across multiple devices, one of those non-Apple, and it works perfectly fine.

Switching to standard Bluetooth headphones would make switching between devices a five minute affair.
I don’t understand this - why would it take five minutes to re-sync with a different device? Bluetooth headphones can be paired with multiple devices (how many varies per headphone, I think mine does 3 devices, some go as many as 8).

I suggest going back and reading the preorder threads for iPhone 6 and 7 to get an idea of what you will be dealing with if this is your first time.

I noticed in both threads Apple took a little past 3am EST to actually go up and then people had trouble getting the App and the website to refresh and reflect that. I assume with the site it's a cookie issue but the App kind of concerns me as well.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I can’t decide if I pre order to continue it through AT&T Next or do the Apple iUP. That Apple care that’s included with the iUP is tempting.

LordOfChaos

Slightly confused as we already know standby battery life as well. What’s SoT mean?

We know the screen on time.

Battery size also impacts idle time, which is a big part of why the Plus has such better battery life. "only" two more hours active translates to a lot more when idle, and the total run of a day.

dc89

It's the third time I've said this (I think) but I can't decide between Silver or Space Grey.
One thing that worries me slightly where the Silver is concerned is when Schiller said "each has a pearlescence to the colour in the glass."

Why can't it just be matte D:

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

airpods work like every other BT device. The only apple-specific W1 benefit is iCloud pairing. You can still pair them individually to any BT device.

I personally just run two buds... AirPods for all BT devices.. and a wired pair for Switch and 3DS (my desktop and laptop are BT). The case that you get with AirPods is so innocuous (and insanely useful) that it really isn't an issue to carry my airpods in my pocket and my ear buds in whichever case I am using (Switch or 3DS).

IMHO the bigger crime (only slightly joking here) is Switch and 3DS not having BT stereo support than Apple removing the headphone jack.

Fliesen

airpods work like every other BT device. The only apple-specific W1 benefit is iCloud pairing. You can still pair them individually to any BT device.

I personally just run two buds... AirPods for all BT devices.. and a wired pair for Switch and 3DS (my desktop and laptop are BT). The case that you get with AirPods is so innocuous (and insanely useful) that it really isn't an issue to carry my airpods in my pocket and my ear buds in whichever case I am using (Switch or 3DS).

IMHO the bigger crime (only slightly joking here) is Switch and 3DS not having BT stereo support than Apple removing the headphone jack.

no bluetooth on Switch is rather annoying, yes.
Especially in kickstand mode, any dongle / wire is incredibly annoying and - given the kickstands already shitty balance - can and will tip over your device.

I don't understand this - why would it take five minutes to re-sync with a different device? Bluetooth headphones can be paired with multiple devices (how many varies per headphone, I think mine does 3 devices, some go as many as 8).

I have had massive issues keeping Bluetooth headphones paired to more than one device—when two or more are in range, the headphones don't know which device to connect to. I always have to go into settings on the device I'm not using and forget the headphones, and then re-pair them in the future. Five minutes was an exaggeration, but it takes much too long.

I guess I could just turn off Bluetooth, but that would still require reaching for the device I'm not actively trying to use, and mess with my Pebble Smartwatch. It also gets hard to keep track of what device currently has Bluetooth turned on. Plugging in 3.55mm headphones takes five seconds.

If you know of any Bluetooth headphones that somehow get around this problem, please send them my way.

how so?
the AirPods, just like other W1 head and earphones work with non-apple devices too, albeit don't pair as seamlessly. - i use my beatsX across multiple devices, one of those non-Apple, and it works perfectly fine.

The problem is the seamless pairing, see above.

IIMHO the bigger crime (only slightly joking here) is Switch and 3DS not having BT stereo support than Apple removing the headphone jack.

I don't totally disagree with you, except that in my case, adding Bluetooth to the 3DS wouldn't solve any of my problems, for all the reasons I've described above. If it was only Nintendo devices that were giving me compatibility issues, and I could envision a system in which everything else worked fine, I'd be annoyed with Nintendo. As-is, Apple is the one who decided to complicate everything.

make a habit of putting it in a safe place like the 3DS case or Switch case.

This is all just a bit too much effort when I'm sitting down on the subway. My non-XL new 3DS doesn't even have a case; it goes directly in my pocket, precisely because I want to be able to get at it quickly.

Use something to attach the dongle to the wire

...this is something I never thought of, and the first good suggestion I've heard all year! I guess I'd just duct tape the two together? Presumably that would be strong enough to not come apart in my back pocket.

It would still require plugging in two things instead of one when I want to switch devices, but at least the whole system would be one piece. That's a huge improvement. For now, I'm super thankful for the headphone jack in my 6S, but this is something to fall back on whenever that becomes no longer an option. Thank you!

It's the third time I've said this (I think) but I can't decide between Silver or Space Grey.
One thing that worries me slightly where the Silver is concerned is when Schiller said "each has a pearlescence to the colour in the glass."

I am not partial to either colour so it comes down to the one I will have the easiest time getting my hands on.

I think we are the minority but I agree.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Same. Space grey is the safe choice I guess.

If stock wasn’t an issue I’d reserve both and then decide at point of picking them up

mrkgoo

I have had massive issues keeping Bluetooth headphones paired to more than one device—when two or more are in range, the headphones don't know which device to connect to. I always have to go into settings on the device I'm not using and forget the headphones, and then re-pair them in the future. Five minutes was an exaggeration, but it takes much too long.

I guess I could just turn off Bluetooth, but that would still require reaching for the device I'm not actively trying to use, and mess with my Pebble Smartwatch. It also gets hard to keep track of what device currently has Bluetooth turned on. Plugging in 3.55mm headphones takes five seconds.

If you know of any Bluetooth headphones that somehow get around this problem, please send them my way.

The problem is the seamless pairing, see above.

I don't totally disagree with you, except that in my case, adding Bluetooth to the 3DS wouldn't solve any of my problems, for all the reasons I've described above. If it was only Nintendo devices that were giving me compatibility issues, and I could envision a system in which everything else worked fine, I'd be annoyed with Nintendo. As-is, Apple is the one who decided to complicate everything.

This is all just a bit too much effort when I'm sitting down on the subway. My non-XL new 3DS doesn't even have a case; it goes directly in my pocket, precisely because I want to be able to get at it quickly.

...this is something I never thought of, and the first good suggestion I've heard all year! I guess I'd just duct tape the two together? Presumably that would be strong enough to not come apart in my back pocket.

It would still require plugging in two things instead of one when I want to switch devices, but at least the whole system would be one piece. That's a huge improvement. For now, I'm super thankful for the headphone jack in my 6S, but this is something to fall back on whenever that becomes no longer an option. Thank you!

Not to dismiss your woes, but most people don't find the lack of headphone jack an insurmountable problem. There's a solution for most people. Sure it's. it the ideal situation, but the jack itself is also not that ideal either.

If, however, you do find the issue insurmountable, the I guess you've already chosen your solution to never buy an iPhone in future.

Personally, I moved on from the jack by getting some Bluetooth headphones and it has been wonderful. Of course it came with some inconveniences - managing charging, having to turn on-off my frigging earphones, losing support on some devices I'd like support for and so on, but you know, life goes on I find some workarounds.

I wonder if the time will come when most devices don't have a jack and people are just used to it and wonder what the fuss was all about. Like, do we have a CD-ROM drive type thing? Or is it really something that's quite a big deal?

Priz

whats a good usbc set up from amazon, that's not super expensive so i can take advantage of the fast charging?

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/25/fast-charge-iphone-8-x-third-party-charger/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071H2JGJ6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y427WT7/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Either should work, but I've bought a bunch of Aukey stuff for my HTC 10 and been very happy with it. Such as -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LJT2EPK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EJFSY1S/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (Bought this with a promo code which brought it down to $14.99)

Which is great, but now let me choose to buy a nice pair of Shure headphones using the W1 chip. And make Bluetooth audio build to lossless.

Blackhead

Redarse
How much above the RRP would scalpers even get?
Hong Kong's iPhone grey market cashes in on the 6s
The quicker they act, the more cash they get. The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are no exception. This morning, I was the first customer to pick up my 128GB rose gold 6s Plus from a carrier store (the shop assistants even took a photo to mark the occasion), but I quickly sold it for HK$10,000 or about US$1,290 at the Sincere Podium mobile phone mall just around the corner. That's roughly a US$250 profit based on the device's local price, which isn't bad at all...

According to ePrice, the first round of iPhone 6 Plus managed to rake in a profit of between a whopping US$1,110 to US$1,290 per unit in the grey market, which is a stark contrast to the measly US$250 I made with the 6s Plus today. The smaller 6s took a hit as well, making just US$90 instead of US$340 with the iPhone 6 last year...

There was only a little scalping for the iPhone 7 last year (just the space grey plus really) and basically nothing for the 8 this year. That's partly due to Apple releasing in more countries at launch but also due to much weaker demand. Scalping is fucked up though even if for a $1,000 phone

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
gruber advising people they should preorder the iphone X because they can scalp...

i have no patience for that guy anymore
i just listened to one of his shows for the first time in about a year and immediately found myself getting irate

Owari

So excited! A bit over a month away until the next generation of smartphones has arrived.

Curiously, I have a feeling they’ll be adding Touch ID back in a software update, making the notch solve the ID problem.

gamma

It is a sophisticated sensor system that should be able to act as a Touch ID. If not in this iPhone X, likely on the 11.

It's a sophisticated camera system, not a fingerprint sensor. It most certainly won't be getting "Touch ID back with a software update".

Shambala

So excited! A bit over a month away until the next generation of smartphones has arrived.

Curiously, I have a feeling they’ll be adding Touch ID back in a software update, making the notch solve the ID problem.
I heard there is still a secret headphone jack also

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon

And they'll remove the notch through a software update too!

kaskade

There were some polls done and it seems like a majority of people are going to opt for the 256 vs 64 GB version. Good news for me since I was planning on just getting the 64.

whats a good usbc set up from amazon, that's not super expensive so i can take advantage of the fast charging?

I bought the Anker 30W charger and a 2m Apple USB-C to Lightning cable. The cable was like $20 more expensive than the charger, and it will likely stay that way until a 3rd party starts making USB-PD capable lightning cables.

That said, fast charging is amazing. It used to take what felt like half a day to charge my iPad Pro, but now I feel like its done in a little over an hour and a half (maybe like 1% per minute). I even use it to charge my 7+ a bit faster as well (not quite fast charging speed though)

Top Bottom