• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

Orbis

Question: will the wireless charging work with a case? Or is this going to be the first iPhone I'll own without a protective cover? Because while I like the sleek look of no case, I drop the dumb thing about a dozen times a year and a case has always saved my bacon.
Should definitely work, I have an S7 Edge and it works through a case no problem.

Nightfall

I really want to like the look of this phone and I can get around the notch thing (though it's really stupid if you think about it) but the camera bump is the worst and ugliest camera bump I've ever seen on a phone. It stands out like a wart.

DOWN

Banned
I really want to like the look of this phone and I can get around the notch thing (though it's really stupid if you think about it) but the camera bump is the worst and ugliest camera bump I've ever seen on a phone. It stands out like a wart.
To each their own but I think the X bump is better looking than 6, 7, or 8

It looks like powerful feels 😉

Ashhong

I don't mind it but wish we didn't have it. Has there ever been a real reason for why it exists? Why they started (I think) the trend of having a camera bump? Is it just for the thinness? I imagine the battery would increase nicely if they expanded the phone to fit the camera

DOWN

Banned
On iPhone 7 Plus 11.1 Beta I’m getting the Home Swipe bar everywhere lol
3g2u2pH.jpg

Aske

I don't mind it but wish we didn't have it. Has there ever been a real reason for why it exists? Why they started (I think) the trend of having a camera bump? Is it just for the thinness? I imagine the battery would increase nicely if they expanded the phone to fit the camera

[Blackness. Fade slowly to white. Johnny Ive, skin greying and visibly melty, but still buff, and with a twinkle in his eye, appears on screen.]

"We've done something with the new iPhone Vita that will change the nature of our relationships with each other. We're moving into a new era of connectivity, and smart technology is shaping our lives in ways that, thirty years ago, we could never have anticipated."

[we see a graphic representing the passage of time via the evolution of iPhones]

"We share so much information every day, whether that's with our families [Ive's face cuts to a child of ambiguous ethnicity and gender, with missing front teeth and huge hair, blowing bubbles at the camera; before we reveal they're performing for their mother's phone in a sunny field], our colleges [a white woman in an expensive suit raises her phone to her ear while walking through the gleaming glass door of an office building], or with ourselves [a polyamourous triad watches a video on a phone and laughs together on a bright white couch. Back to Ive]. People are demanding more from our smartphones than ever before. That's why we've increased the thickness of the iPhone's casing."

[camera traces the edge of a phone rendering; lots of measurements flash on the screen, and we see the edge visibly thicken]

"This allowed us to design a brand new camera. It's not only larger, with more thunderpixels, and a more powerful light trap; but this time, the camera [graphic rotates] actually sits flush with the device."

[Ive pauses to let this information sink in]

"But there's more. Increasing the depth of the phone allowed us to completely rethink our design approach to its battery, which now lasts for an astonishing 6 hours of iNet talk time."

[iPhone rendering spins to white before fading into a shot of an interracial but heterosexual couple choosing to leave their charger and cable behind as they frolic out of their iHouse on a bright summer's day. Back to Ive.]

"Our tests confirm that users can expect to save up to 9 pints of blood every month when using this phone. And it weighs less than a pouch of dolphin milk."

[Ive sucks on the pouch-nipple with a self-satisfied smile. Fade to Apple logo.]

Chittagong

Gold Member
This thread needs a poll in the OP

How impossible will iPhone X be to buy?

So impossible
Really impossible
Not possible

I think Nokia started the camera bump trend, having larger cameras than the case size. Apple was nowhere near the first trend-starters. The reason is to maintain camera quality while making the phone as thin and light as possible. iPhone has in recent years been considered one of the best camera phones, they aren’t going to lower picture quality just because they decided to make a thin and light phone rather than a brick.

DSC06712-hero.0.jpg

Burai

shitonmychest57
One aspect they'll keep in mind is that most people will keep their phone in a case and most case solutions are thick enough to eliminate the bump.

By making the phone thicker, then adding a case you end up with a pretty bulky looking device.

LordOfChaos

You don't really get a white one, you get whatever color is in the background don't you? It could be black, like in Apple Music.

Yeah, but that's the exception, generally for one the Apple UI itself has the white notification bar, and the UI guidelines for developers also say not to hide the notch in black.

So they made two opposite choices with that and the Watch where they say to avoid showing the bezels, and on the iPhone itself, picking black seemed like a sign they could hide the notch at first.

knicks

One aspect they'll keep in mind is that most people will keep their phone in a case and most case solutions are thick enough to eliminate the bump.

By making the phone thicker, then adding a case you end up with a pretty bulky looking device.

I don't really think Apple gives a shit to be honest. Since when do they ever keep anything in mind?

crustikid

Anyone read ebooks on their iPhone 6/7/8?

I like reading ebooks on my 7 plus and I’m wondering if it’ll suck to read books on the X because it’s the same width as the 6/7/8 (I guess you’ll technically get roughly 20% more vertical reading space on the X). Walked into an Apple Store yesterday and was so tempted to get the 8 plus and forego the messiness of this year’s X launch.

I do kind of want a slightly smaller phone and will appreciate the extra half-stop stop/OIS on the 2x Camera (love my 7 plus camera).

Aske

Anyone read ebooks on their iPhone 6/7/8?

I like reading ebooks on my 7 plus and I’m wondering if it’ll suck to read books on the X because it’s the same width as the 6/7/8 (I guess you’ll technically get roughly 20% more vertical reading space on the X). Walked into an Apple Store yesterday and was so tempted to get the 8 plus and forego the messiness of this year’s X launch.

I do kind of want a slightly smaller phone and will appreciate the extra half-stop stop/OIS on the 2x Camera (love my 7 plus camera).

Ebooks are great on the non-Plus iPhones. We'll get a decent chunk more width to the screen with the X too with most of the bezel disappearing, right?

I think Nokia started the camera bump trend, having larger cameras than the case size. Apple was nowhere near the first trend-starters. The reason is to maintain camera quality while making the phone as thin and light as possible. iPhone has in recent years been considered one of the best camera phones, they aren't going to lower picture quality just because they decided to make a thin and light phone rather than a brick.

DSC06712-hero.0.jpg

Nokia was the first, but I don't think they started the "trend". I don't remember anyone else having bumps before Apple.

Also, at least in the case of that phone on the left—that camera had an enormous sensor and the images it produced were absolutely incredible. It was well above what Apple or any other phone was doing at that time, and is arguably still superior.

(Unfortunately, the camera was literally the only good thing about that phone, and whether it should even be called a "smart phone" is questionable.)

I think Nokia started the camera bump trend, having larger cameras than the case size. Apple was nowhere near the first trend-starters. The reason is to maintain camera quality while making the phone as thin and light as possible. iPhone has in recent years been considered one of the best camera phones, they aren’t going to lower picture quality just because they decided to make a thin and light phone rather than a brick.

DSC06712-hero.0.jpg

I would love the sensor to be more central and larger like those. If they could even just double the sensor size the quality would see an enormous improvement.

How possible is it for people to use a bot to preorder? After the NES fiasco that’s my only really concern with preordering.
Probably somewhat possible but not easy, I guess. Apple doesn’t have any sort of CAPTCHA protection during the ordering and checkout process, but the fact that it’s going to be an all-new order page and that it’ll take a fair amount of reloading due to basically getting DDOSed by a crush of users means a simple script is likely to fail. I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple has some amount of other protections in place too.

Apple are competent unlike these other shops.

They will keep it to one per customer, which a lot of shops including Amazon didn't for the nes classic originally. So they ended going back and cancelling orders.

We really thinking this is gonna be a bitch to order and get? I was under the impression that if you try within at least an hour of the release you’ll be good but then again this is the first time I’m looking to order one of these online.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
We really thinking this is gonna be a bitch to order and get? I was under the impression that if you try within at least an hour of the release you’ll be good but then again this is the first time I’m looking to order one of these online.

Supply is super limited + demand is super high (see sales of the 8/8+)

It's going to be pure lottery as to when you'll get the phone for everyone ordering even those first few mins.

dc89

What?

Image isn't showing up, had to manually link it. It's an old image from the hands on event?

5A8pTIs.jpg

It's really hard, some photos look like silver/grey, like OG iPhone almost

Holy shit this is beautiful. I've decided.

Dammit I was getting set on the white but for some reason this picture of the black really does it for me. I love how it almost looks like it's in a clear silicone case...but it's not :O

No I haven't.

a916

We really thinking this is gonna be a bitch to order and get? I was under the impression that if you try within at least an hour of the release you'll be good but then again this is the first time I'm looking to order one of these online.

Apple's nice enough to let you keep ordering, but obviously it affects the amount of time you have to wait to get yours.

I think the most I've had to wait is maybe a week? So the second shipment. And I didn't bother staying up or waiting until the page went live.

I think the hefty price tag will out weigh the lack of stock.

kaskade

I'd imagine launch stock will be sold out within a minute or two. Couple minutes you might have to wait a week or so. After that it'll probably hit you with a 4-6 weeks.

I'd imagine launch stock will be sold out within a minute or two. Couple minutes you might have to wait a week or so. After that it'll probably hit you with a 4-6 weeks.

Honestly even 4-6 weeks I’m fine with. Obviously sooner is better but I just want to avoid like two months or more of waiting

Hazelhurst

I keep flipping back and forth but I think I'm going to wait on getting this. I'm still loving my iPhone 6. I'm looking forward to impressions for those lucky enough to get one.

Omeyocan

Need some help !

I live in Canada and I'm planning to get an unlocked and sim free iPhone X on launch day. I already know that the better option is to preorder it on the ( nearest from home )Apple Store website on the 27th of this month. Problem is that I really want the A1865 model since it has the Qualcomm modem inside that appears to offer better performance in receiving signals, AND it won't be available here in Canada. I think the only model available will be the A1901 which has the Intel modem. Then I thought that I wouldn't mind to preorder it on the nearest US Apple Store and do the travel to get it on the 3rd of november. Does someone can confirm if it's possible to preorder an unlocked and sim free iPhone X and get it in an Apple Store in the US ?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm got hands on with the 8 today for a sec and it was noice. I really want to see this thing in person. I feel like it’s inevitable I’ll get one since I need a new phone. But I dunno... tbh the gloss black 7 has been appealing to me.. get the X-2 next year. Blech.

jts

...hate me...
Dammit I was getting set on the white but for some reason this picture of the black really does it for me. I love how it almost looks like it's in a clear silicone case...but it's not :O
And you like the fact it looks like it’s in a cheap silicone case all the time?

Also, where the heck is the Apple logo? I think it’s contributing to the idea of the phone being in a case.

Ashhong

And you like the fact it looks like it’s in a cheap silicone case all the time?

Also, where the heck is the Apple logo? I think it’s contributing to the idea of the phone being in a case.

Well it doesn't look exactly like it obviously. I like the layered effect it has with the glass

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Apple are competent unlike these other shops.

They will keep it to one per customer, which a lot of shops including Amazon didn't for the nes classic originally. So they ended going back and cancelling orders.

Will they restrict to one per customer? I was thinking to try and order two because I cant’ decide which colour would be best (doens’t help that apple has a shit gallery so doesn’t really show you enough to make a decision on)

Will they restrict to one per customer? I was thinking to try and order two because I cant’ decide which colour would be best (doens’t help that apple has a shit gallery so doesn’t really show you enough to make a decision on)

Should be two per order, that’s what it has historically been. Though they may limit it to one given the supply issues, I doubt that.

Jeffrey

I forget with apple phones can you preorder in store or do they use the online system there as well?

So attack order is attempt online apple store and your carrier... Then... Guess wait in line at the apple store a week in advance?

Tried going a week without my leather case on my iPhone 6Plus to see if I could do so with the X. One $50 screen replacement later, I'm convinced that I'll need a case.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ebooks are great on the non-Plus iPhones. We'll get a decent chunk more width to the screen with the X too with most of the bezel disappearing, right?

The X's screen width in portrait is identical to the non-Plus sized 6/7/8 phones, it's simply "taller".

Kinan

The smaller dimensions are honestly one of the biggest reasons I'm considering the X. I love my 7+, but it's just so large. I have smaller hands anyway, so this would be a welcome change.

kaskade

Honestly even 4-6 weeks I’m fine with. Obviously sooner is better but I just want to avoid like two months or more of waiting

Same here. The only reason I’m really aiming to get it day one is because I’m on the upgrade program. I’d rather upgrade ASAP so I don’t have to worry about extra payments. Then if Apple decides to release all their phones in Sept of next year I’ll have to pay an extra payment or two to catch up since this one is starting in Nov.

Top Bottom