• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
But the screen is also OLED.

Edit: Never mind. Although I'm still curious why the X is performing worse despite a bigger battery and a more efficient (if larger) screen.
A frequently on high density IR dot light and flood light.

I’m actually curious to see an X used with an IR camera filming it. I want to see how often the IR lights are in use.

DOWN

Banned
A frequently on high density IR dot light and flood light.

I’m actually curious to see an X used with an IR camera filming it. I want to see how often the IR lights are in use.
Wouldn’t it only be when using the front camera and when using the unlock Face ID? Not that much tbh

jts

...hate me...
Feel like that sensor and light emitting paraphernalia will be a big battery eater, actually. Would be interesting if turning Face ID off turns out to have an impact on battery life.

edit: damn it sc0la

DOWN

Banned
Feel like that sensor and light emitting paraphernalia will be a big battery eater, actually. Would be interesting if turning Face ID off turns out to have an impact on battery life.
Why tho??? It only needs to be on when you’ve got the lock screen lit up (which is only minutes a day for most people) and for the front facing cam during the camera app (also likely only a few minutes a Day). Outside that maybe a couple times for Apple Pay a day at most?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn’t it only be when using the front camera and when using the unlock Face ID? Not that much tbh
The front camera is actually on when you are using the device to poll for attention. The screen won’t dim and alerts are silenced when you are looking at it. I don’t know if it is using IR lights for this or just the camera.

DOWN

Banned
The front camera is actually on when you are using the device to poll for attention. The screen won’t dim and alerts are silenced when you are looking at it. I don’t know if it is using IR lights for this or just the camera.
It likely only has to flash once every 30 Seconds for that (that’s when the screen dims), so not much cumulatively.

Idk guys, Apple already put the battery stats out there and we know it’s quite similar to Plus battery life. I can’t imagine IR light checks are high battery killers that Apple didn’t monitor in their design

LordOfChaos

interesting, here is a macro I just took of the 8 screen for comparison.

hq5PKKr.jpg

Yeah, good demonstration of the alignment thing on pentile, diamond or not. On the LCD the lines are at least straight, on pentile it creates strange macro patterns (in my screenshot you can see a macro grid overlaying the smaller pixels)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Have you ever used Apple Pay in an app before? you can pay for anything from the Apple Store app with Apple Pay. It just comes up as a payment method at the end. Might even be a "checkout with apple pay" button if I remember.

oh yeah, duh.. just go to buy something and the Apple Pay button should be there... hit it (but then cancel) and you'll see.

It asked for touchID, but then got to the confirm order and I chickened out

LordOfChaos

Why does the size matter when we already know it lasts about 1 hour less than the plus?

Active use isn't the only story. The reason the Plus seems to get such amazing battery life isn't the 2 hours extra SoT, it's because the battery is big enough that idling matters proportionally less, some say it barely seems to touch it.

The X had that question to be answered there, so the battery size is still relevant with posted active time. With a bigger battery than the Plus, it's looking positive.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Can you opt to not use the facial recognition and instead just press the physical button on the side to bring up the traditional passcode screen? Because when I get the X and if this is possible, I don't think I'll want to use facial recognition.

DOWN

Banned
Active use isn't the only story. The reason the Plus seems to get such amazing battery life isn't the 2 hours extra SoT, it's because the battery is big enough that idling matters proportionally less, some say it barely seems to touch it.

The X had that question to be answered there, so the battery size is still relevant with posted active time. With a bigger battery than the Plus, it's looking positive.
Slightly confused as we already know standby battery life as well. What’s SoT mean?

Now I'm genuinely curious why the 8+ has a smaller battery. Not only smaller than the X, but also the 7+. Apple could've made it their longest lasting phone yet. Has there been any word as to why?

mrkgoo

Now I'm genuinely curious why the 8+ has a smaller battery. Not only smaller than the X, but also the 7+. Apple could've made it their longest lasting phone yet. Has there been any word as to why?

At a guess the use of the glass back means less space for battery? I mean you have an internal frame instead of an external housing, so internals are taken up somewhat by supporting structure, not to mention the charging coil.

mrkgoo

How is seeing the full 16:9 picture a horrible option?

That ration in the gif doesn't look like 16:9, looks like the full movie ratio. But I assume large black borders on all sides is kind of stink. but at least it's even lol.

If I had an iPhone X, I'd probably full screen it

OF course it's not ideal in either way, but I still don't see why the need to complain about it. is it really the ideal way to watch a movie anyway?

People will live with it, it'll be fine.

How is seeing the full 16:9 picture a horrible option?

Full screen with the notch is bad and I don't think I need to explain why that is.

Full 16:9 with thick bars along all 4 sides is bad because it looks super dumb on a screen that's supposed to be edge to edge. Top and bottom bars with no bars on the right and left (or the other way around) would have been great (except that can't happen on the X because of the dumb notch again).

That ration in the gif doesn't look like 16:9, looks like the full movie ratio. But I assume large black borders on all sides is kind of stink. but at least it's even lol.

OF course it's not ideal in either way, but I still don't see why the need to complain about it. is it really the ideal way to watch a movie anyway?

I mean it's not ideal, but that doesn't mean I want it even worse. Watching movies at home is not ideal compared to a movie theater, doesn't mean I would be ok with a notch there either.

Kyoufu

I don't mind the notch as much as others. It's not ideal but I rarely look at the side of the screen much since my eyes are generally focused on the centre of the screen. I also don't watch TV shows/movies on the small screen so it's just not a big deal to me. It'd probably be a good gripping point for my right thumb when holding it in landscape. /shrug

mrkgoo

I mean it's not ideal, but that doesn't mean I want it even worse. Watching movies at home is not ideal compared to a movie theater, doesn't mean I would be ok with a notch there either.

Of course, but if this issue is insurmountable, then I guess you don't get the iPhone X until the issue is no longer there, be it a hardware revision or a software one.

I mean, what do you want?

You'll never get top and bottom bars, because common video ratio of 16:9 is shorter than the phone ratio, so if it were that, you'd get bars on the sides. top and bottom, I assume if the move aspect ratio is longer than the screen ratio. I'm not entirely sure what the options are on the iPhone X player.

Of course, but if this issue is insurmountable, then I guess you don't get the iPhone X until the issue is no longer there, be it a hardware revision or a software one.

I mean, what do you want?

You'll never get top and bottom bars, because common video ratio of 16:9 is shorter than the phone ratio, so if it were that, you'd get bars on the sides. top and bottom, I assume if the move aspect ratio is longer than the screen ratio. I'm not entirely sure what the options are on the iPhone X player.

Yeah pretty much I'll just wait until they figure out the tech to put that stuff under the screen or the much simpler solution of just making the top a flat bar instead of the dumb notch and rabbit ear screen thing they did.

At a guess the use of the glass back means less space for battery? I mean you have an internal frame instead of an external housing, so internals are taken up somewhat by supporting structure, not to mention the charging coil.

But then how'd they get a bigger battery in the smaller X housing? Unless the LCD screen of the 8+ played a part in that versus the OLED.

mrkgoo

But then how'd they get a bigger battery in the smaller X housing? Unless the LCD screen of the 8+ played a part in that versus the OLED.
I thought one advantage of the oled tech is thinner displays.

But yeah, there's also the home button stuff they have to fit in and whatever.

I assume the iPhone X still has the Taptic Engine stuff?

jts

...hate me...
First iPhone designed without a headphone jack or home button in mind. Battery can go much lower in the chassis and closer to the bottom edge than it can in a 8 or any previous iPhone.

Same applies to the top edge.

16:9 videos only have black bars on either side. The picture fills the height of the screen.

I would appreciate an option to extend wider aspect videos up to the left edge of the screen and the right edge of the notch, but I guess three options are more complicated than two. Remember though that with an edge to edge screen, there's no good place to hold onto the phone when it's in landscape mode. In that regard, it might be better to leave black bars on the edges of videos.

Why am I even looking at this? I'm never going to buy an iPhone X, and not even because of price, but because I need a stinking headphone jack.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
16:9 videos only have black bars on either side. The picture fills the height of the screen.

I would appreciate an option to extend wider aspect videos up to the left edge of the screen and the right edge of the notch, but I guess three options are more complicated than two. Remember though that with an edge to edge screen, there's no good place to hold onto the phone when it's in landscape mode. In that regard, it might be better to leave black bars on the edges of videos.

Why am I even looking at this? I'm never going to buy an iPhone X, and not even because of price, but because I need a stinking headphone jack.

I think the ears offer so little usable space that - for video - they should be blacked out to match the notch and the normal double tap zoom only extends to the notch

mrkgoo

I think the ears offer so little usable space that - for video - they should be blacked out to match the notch and the normal double tap zoom only extends to the notch

I was thinking this makes the most sense, but something I think a lot of people forget about the iPhone X is that all the corners are round. If you go full screen to match the notch, you'll have rounded corners on one end. I guess you could do the equivalent black out on the left, or do matching rounded corners on the blacked out notch end, but it's still awkward.

Aske

Edited the spoiler tags just for the sake of discussion - hope you don't mind.

Why is the lack of headphone jack a deal-breaker? I understand it being a hefty con in a list you're weighing against the pros of the X, but the dongle really isn't something you notice when using it. And now that the phone can charge wirelessly, the major issue of not being able to listen while charging disappears. I know wireless chargers aren't free, but you said price isn't the issue. Not trying to tell you your business; I'm just interested in a use case I might not have thought of.

My sticking point is still FaceID. I'm willing to roll the dice on Apple and trade up from my 7, mainly to have the larger screen without needing to size up to the +, but I'm concerned it'll be both less secure and less reliable than TouchID.

Only other thing I'm bummed about is that the screen isn't higher resolution for VR, especially given how powerful the phone is. But a better quality screen and longer lasting battery are definitely worth It, plus I think the phone is gorgeous, notch be damned.

Why is the lack of headphone jack a deal-breaker? I understand it being a hefty con in a list you're weighing against the pros of the X, but the dongle really isn't something you notice when using it.

Not the person you asked, but the dongle has less dynamic range than the headphone jack. I suppose many people don't notice it, especially those who listen to earbuds, but I immediately did, even on my mediocre car speakers.

But that's a lost battle, and anyone who is holding out on a new iPhone because of the jack will either cave in or never buy an iPhone again.

I have the yearly upgrade deal thru Verizon. Do I need to preorder this on their website or can I do it thru Apple without Apple charging me full price? Like would Apple be able to tell that I’m on the yearly upgrade plan?

I’m guessing I’ll need to use Verizon’s website to preorder when preorders go live, and I’ll probably be SOL.

I thought one advantage of the oled tech is thinner displays.

But yeah, there's also the home button stuff they have to fit in and whatever.

I assume the iPhone X still has the Taptic Engine stuff?

If the glass backing really is what's causing the downsize from the 7+, I wish they had just made it a thicker phone. I can't imagine it being too much of a difference, but eh, what do I know?

First iPhone designed without a headphone jack or home button in mind. Battery can go much lower in the chassis and closer to the bottom edge than it can in a 8 or any previous iPhone.

Same applies to the top edge.

Pretty sure it’s that New L shaped stacked battery tech

This makes the idea of an X2+ phone next year sound super appealing. Same bump in battery size, but less consumption of it from the screen due to it being OLED.

I have the yearly upgrade deal thru Verizon. Do I need to preorder this on their website or can I do it thru Apple without Apple charging me full price? Like would Apple be able to tell that I’m on the yearly upgrade plan?

I’m guessing I’ll need to use Verizon’s website to preorder when preorders go live, and I’ll probably be SOL.

It'll have to be through Verizon's device payment agreement. Doesn't sound like buying from Apple would fall under that, but you should still call your store and ask.

Aske

Not the person you asked, but the dongle has less dynamic range than the headphone jack. I suppose many people don't notice it, especially those who listen to earbuds, but I immediately did, even on my mediocre car speakers.

But that's a lost battle, and anyone who is holding out on a new iPhone because of the jack will either cave in or never buy an iPhone again.

From what I've read, that's only an issue with the highest quality files and the finest handcrafted, artisanal ears - which doesn't make it less awful for you, but it shouldn't be noticeable to non-audiophiles, right?

From what I've read, that's only an issue with the highest quality files and the finest handcrafted, artisanal ears - which doesn't make it less awful for you, but it shouldn't be noticeable to non-audiophiles, right?

The article I linked understated it -- I could hear it with 16-bit lossless files and if I remember correctly even 320 mp3s, but yeah...I have "golden ears" I guess and the majority of people won't know the difference or care. Was just noting that there is a downgrade in quality from the jack.

dc89

Having a read of MacRumors and one analysts suggests 12m iPhone X will be available for pre-order weekend.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/26/iphone-x-launch-day-supply-estimate/

iPhone 6S launch weekend was 13m phones.
No numbers for iPhone 7.

And Ming-chi Kuo (another analyst) says the iPhone 8 sales woes are "overdone" and excessively negative".

Kuo believes the market is negative on first weekend iPhone 8 sales because market analysts rely overmuch on observed sales momentum in unlocked/SIM-free channels such as the Apple Store, while overlooking sales momentum within carrier channels.

Top Bottom