• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
Because he said it? And if it's not true, I guess he'd already have been banned.

I'm still confused, by I guess it's pretty much logical, right?

*shrugs* I wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't know what we mean by "verify." I'm still waiting for a mod to chime in.

Yeah, can someone get a mod to swing on by to let us know what's up?

Literally nothing about his accounts matches anything we know of the console whatsoever, but if the mods are willing to verify him, then that'll be worth something.

guek

Banned
What do you mean by "verify" then? Your comment makes me think that it's not what I think it is.

Mods have access to registration info for neogaf. If Arkam is indeed who he claims to be, he would have access to a company email account which the mods can verify. While this would be in no way confirmation that he even has access to the dev kit or talks to anyone who does, it would give him at least a little credibility.

I am the god king lord of the entire universe, and the mods have verified it.

See how that works? Unless a mod comes in here and stamps his approval on that statement, it may as well be Grade A bullshit.

It's not worth arguing about, the moment his information is proven to be wrong he'll be banned for falsely claiming to have inside information.

Anyways, back to Wii-U talk :) A landscape case design unfortunately wouldn't work in the US, because retailers wouldn't go for it. Store shelves these days are just wide enough for a DVD case standing upright, which is why all the packaging uses those dimensions, or cut down dimensions like DS/3DS.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
OMG, would someone PLEASE call a mod to get in here so we can stop talking about this troll, PLEASE?
Not too many moderators online at the moment: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showgroups.php

While I do find the content of Arkam's posts rather interesting from a business perspective, it's indeed an onerous behavior of her/him for those that want to in a sensible manner speculate about Wii U's technical specifications. Not naming sources is very dull.

JaseMath

The only thing that makes me think that Arkam is telling the truth is because he's been able to troll us for so long...in which case it wouldn't be trolling at all. We need some mods in here to verify.

antonz

The only thing that makes me think that Arkam is telling the truth is because he's been able to troll us for so long...in which case it wouldn't be trolling at all. We need some mods in here to verify.

He vanished for sometime after being asked to verify

guek

Banned
We're all gonna feel so silly when it turns out he's right!!!

Honestly, I'm prepared for the worst, but sub current gen would be one hell of a shocker and overall impossible for me to comprehend if anything based solely on Iwata's comment that this isn't going to be a cheap console. I don't think the Upad is going to add more than $75 to the cost of the machine, most likely less. I don't see how this thing lands with a sticker price higher than $250 like Iwata suggested if the innards consist of sub-7 yr old tech.

If it is only on par with current gen, the thing better be $250 on day 1. There's simply no reason to go that route without going for the price incentive. Nintendo has also stated repeatedly that they've learned from the 3DS, leading me to believe that they'll price this sucker as they feel reasonable, regardless of what kind of tech is inside.

TunaLover

Well, if subscreens are indeed expensive to produce I can see Nintendo lowering hardware specs in order to sell the thing at mass market price =/
Whatever is the case we should be prepared for the worst...

JaseMath

He vanished for sometime after being asked to verify

Gotcha. I remember reading his first posts like 2 weeks ago. With the popularity of this thread and how easy it is for people to presume as "insiders", I assumed the mods would check on it more often.

wsippel

Banned
Assuming Arkham isn't trolling, there are a number of issues to consider. He's not a software engineer, so his information is 2nd hand. Is the company he's working at using inhouse middleware, or are any current limitations potentially due to unoptimized, unfinished alpha or beta middleware? If they're writing their own engine, which API did they use? Nintendo offers five different APIs with varying levels of performance on 3DS (well, direct register access isn't really an API, but whatever), and I'd expect the same from Wii U. If the devkits don't contain final GPUs, the fastest, most low level approaches probably aren't available at all at this point. Also: How reliant is the graphics engine on CPU floating point performance? Because I wouldn't be surprised if that was an area where PS3 and 360 were indeed superior. The expectations, general knowledge and potential bias of the Arkham's source is also something to be considered.

Assuming Arkham isn't trolling, there are a number of issues to consider. He's not a software engineer, so his information is 2nd hand. Is the company he's working at using inhouse middleware, or are any current limitations potentially due to unoptimized, unfinished alpha or beta middleware? If they're writing their own engine, which API did they use? Nintendo offers five different APIs with varying levels of performance on 3DS (well, direct register access isn't really an API, but whatever), and I'd expect the same from Wii U. If the devkits don't contain final GPUs, the fastest, most low level approaches probably aren't available at all at this point. Also: How reliant is the graphics engine on CPU floating point performance? Because I wouldn't be surprised if that was an area where PS3 and 360 were indeed superior. The expectations, general knowledge and potential bias of the Arkham's source is also something to be considered.

He did made a thread about doing small projects. I'm guessing a start up company with no female workers.

stilgar

What if Arkam is really a legit programmer with a dev kit, yet he's deliberately feeding us bullshit ?

OR what if some of you know him and deliberately try to misguide me in thinking he's a troll, just to see my tears and laugh at the next e3???? God, I can't trust any of you anymore.

royalan

Why is it that whenever I try to check latest posts by Arkam the site doesn't show anything beyond the 12th of February, including all of his posts from today? Does that mean anything?

I can check anybody else and see all of their posts leading up to today. but not his...

There's simply too many sources saying that the Wii U is a leap over last gen for me to believe it's weaker.

Unless the final devkit took a nosedive, I'm disinclined to believe it.

antonz

There's a strong argument that it happened this generation (Wii vs. Xbox).

Yeah keeping the GC GPU held them back from a parity in that regard. It just seems impossible now for Nintendo to pull a Wii all over again unless they decide to roll out a 2005 era GPU when everything suggests otherwise

D_prOdigy

The truth about where Wii U stands in terms of power will out eventually. Perhaps it's not rational to whip up a typhoon over one poster's postings.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Interesting turn of events. Still waiting for mod verification, though.

It just makes absolutely no sense for Nintendo to release a system less powerful right now. Wouldn't they have to intentionally nerf the components to do that nowadays?

Emitan

If the Wii U was weaker than current gen systems, wouldn't Nintendo have to be specially making parts that weak? Which would drive costs up? THIS MAKES NO SENSE

Massa

Yes but Nintendo has seen how that affected its chance with 3rd party ports. I don't see how they would fall into that same trap again for next gen.

They did with the 3DS, which is less powerful than similarly priced devices and can't run Unreal Engine 3. I'm not even talking Vita here, you can use an iPod Touch or Android non-phone for comparison.

Wolfie5

There's simply too many sources saying that the Wii U is a leap over last gen for me to believe it's weaker.

Unless the final devkit took a nosedive, I'm disinclined to believe it.

So, why are we talking about a random poster?

I know, I know, we have no news, no new rumors, and pretty much everything has been talked about back and forth.

Speaking of which, why aren´t there any leaks yet? It´s too quiet.

2 long weeks to GDC, hopefully we will get something... or this thread will just lose it...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
3) The Japanese Garden, Zelda and Streets demos were streets ahead of anything that the PS3 and 360 are capable of in terms of processing power.
The PS360 could easily have done that Zelda demo. Wasn't it running a 720P witn no AA at 30fps. Easily done with current generation machines.

Emitan

I mean, this is like the original Xbox. Microsoft didn't switch from 8GB hard drives to 20GB hard drives because they loved us, it was because no one made hard drives that small anymore.

antonz

They did with the 3DS, which is less powerful than similarly priced devices and can't run Unreal Engine 3. I'm not even talking Vita here, you can use an iPod Touch or Android non-phone for comparison.

There seemed to be some late developmental issues that forced them to change the GPU. We know they were using Nvidia until something happened which most conclud is likely Nvidia overpromising on results while Tegra failing to live upto those promises.

So, why are we talking about a random poster?

I know, I know, we have no news, no new rumors, and pretty much everything has been talked about back and forth.

Speaking of which, why aren´t there any leaks yet? It´s too quiet.

2 long weeks to GDC, hopefully we will get something... or this thread will just lose it...

Lol, implying this thread hasn't already lost it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom