• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
There's a strong argument that it happened this generation (Wii vs. Xbox).
You're right an argument could be had there, but a good deal of architectural discrepancies would step in way too fast for either side to build a decisive conclusion. Basically, the really advanced xbox titles could not be ported to the wii without losing tons of efficiency, and that's an argument-breaking fact. That should not be the case between 360 and WiiU where things should be very directly comparable. So under those conditions Arkam stated that their devkit did not perform on par with current gen. The early versions of software APIs, etc can play a considerable part there, but please note that not once so far he's said anything about that - basically his apparently 2nd-hand info has been all about the underlying hw - 'slow buses, GPU not on par' - stuff like that.

guek

Banned
The PS360 could easily have done that Zelda demo. Wasn't it running a 720P witn no AA at 30fps. Easily done with current generation machines.

Eh, maybe. The zelda demo definitely wasn't pushing an insane number of polys or anything, but it was employed lighting effects I haven't seen much of on current gen consoles.

Instro

The PS360 could easily have done that Zelda demo. Wasn't it running a 720P witn no AA at 30fps. Easily done with current generation machines.

With the exception of the lighting quality, everything else was 360/PS3 level stuff as far as I could see.

With regards to arkham, he may very well be on the up and up, but then that leaves us with many questions as to why his info is so different from what we have heard up until now from other sources. It seems unlikely that dev kits have somehow gone backwards from the initial E3 leaks, and that everything we have heard since then is lies. In any case we'll need a mod to confirm.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Innovation! By golly, what will those kooks at Nintendo think of next?
nintendo_fringe_2di4wm.gif

So, with the announcement that Nintendo is looking to revive third party franchises on the 3DS, do you guys think this will carry over to the Wii U?
And what franchises could they bring back?

Maybe a real 3D Vectorman!

Eh, maybe. The zelda demo definitely wasn't pushing an insane number of polys or anything, but it was employed lighting effects I haven't seen much of on current gen consoles.

Correction. We haven't seen real-time Global Illumination at all on either the PS3 or 360. It has been employed, but purely in a pre-baked sense. Far as I know, never in real-time.

Snakeyes

With regards to arkham, he may very well be on the up and up, but then that leaves us with many questions as to why his info is so different from what we have heard up until now from other sources. It seems unlikely that dev kits have somehow gone backwards from the initial E3 leaks, and that everything we have heard since then is lies. In any case we'll need a mod to confirm.
The only logical explanation is that Nintendo "learned" from the money lost on the 3DS price cut and decided to replace the original Wii U components with cheap parts that would result in a larger profit margin. But even that is far fetched because gimped hardware would cost more to develop as several tech-heads mentioned in this thread.

OR what if some of you know him and deliberately try to misguide me in thinking he's a troll, just to see my tears and laugh at the next e3???? God, I can't trust any of you anymore.

or what if he's from the future and has created a time machine to go back on GAF and pretend to be a developer?

Aguila

#ICONIC
I just came upon this while browsing through tumblr. (I don't know the real source, though)

tumblr_lzp5qu6mY01qf2dwqo1_1280.png

tumblr_lzp5qu6mY01qf2dwqo2_1280.png

tumblr_lzp5qu6mY01qf2dwqo3_1280.png

A Wii U pokemon game has so much potential! Has Nintendo ever given a comment as to why the main series has remained on handhelds?

I just came upon this while browsing through tumblr. (I don't know the real source, though)

A Wii U pokemon game has so much potential! Has Nintendo ever given a comment as to why the main series has remained on handhelds?

Putting it on consoles defeats the purpose of it being a social and interactive game.
You can't very well carry around your console and trade Pokemon.
Though, that could change with the Wii U, given that the controller will have built in memory.

antonz

I imagine they also want to keep some diversity in line ups. Pokemon is a powerful tool in selling handhelds. If they started making mainline pokemon on consoles it could negatively impact their handhelds.

BD1

Banned
So, with the announcement that Nintendo is looking to revive third party franchises on the 3DS, do you guys think this will carry over to the Wii U?

I think part of the strategy of doing it on the 3DS is that it's considerably less expensive to develop on the handheld than it would be to develop for Wii U/HD Twins. Publishers should be more willing to green light revival projects on 3DS b/c there is less exposure for them.

Instro

I imagine they also want to keep some diversity in line ups. Pokemon is a powerful tool in selling handhelds. If they started making mainline pokemon on consoles it could negatively impact their handhelds.

I would think its more to do with this kind of business reasoning than anything else at this point given that the handheld games have online trading and battling now.

nordique

The only logical explanation is that Nintendo "learned" from the money lost on the 3DS price cut and decided to replace the original Wii U components with cheap parts that would result in a larger profit margin. But even that is far fetched because gimped hardware would cost more to develop as several tech-heads mentioned in this thread.

@ snakeyes

agreed.

Not only that, but I would even consider that the 3DS price cut was entirely to ensure a "future-proof" of sorts.

If anything, Nintendo would want to ensure a similar "future-proof" with the Wii U; to me this would mean stronger hardware. Just wouldn't make sense.

I'm going to go with what blu and wsippel have been saying that Arkham's words might be true. I'm not going to write him off. He originally didn't come off as a troll, more like someone who had something to say. But as he said he is not a software engineer, then there are missing pieces of information. But this is the context I'm going to assume:

Assuming Arkham isn't trolling, there are a number of issues to consider. He's not a software engineer, so his information is 2nd hand. Is the company he's working at using inhouse middleware, or are any current limitations potentially due to unoptimized, unfinished alpha or beta middleware? If they're writing their own engine, which API did they use? Nintendo offers five different APIs with varying levels of performance on 3DS (well, direct register access isn't really an API, but whatever), and I'd expect the same from Wii U. If the devkits don't contain final GPUs, the fastest, most low level approaches probably aren't available at all at this point. Also: How reliant is the graphics engine on CPU floating point performance? Because I wouldn't be surprised if that was an area where PS3 and 360 were indeed superior. The expectations, general knowledge and potential bias of the Arkham's source is also something to be considered.

as wsippel said.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Because the games are built around interacting with people in real life.

Putting it on consoles defeats the purpose of it being a social and interactive game.
Though, that could change with the Wii U, given that the controller will have built in memory.

Maybe a Wii U game could incorporate some real life interactions. Star Fox 64 3D had those little camera/video things above the ships in the mulitplayer mode. The same could happen with an online Pokemon game when meeting people and trading with them.

I could see them targeting a mainline console pokemon to a different demographic, making it a different experience from the hanheld games. The handheld games are obviously targeted toward children. Plus, older kids/teens/adults have less of a chance of finding someone to share their pokemon with.

Jackano

Like I said earlier, this is a formidable way to regain gamers love. Obviously, the Wii U is much more in need of this than the 3DS, so yeah.

I think too Pokémon mainline titles will stay on handheld. There is many potential on 3DS for Pokémon, and this is maybe why Grey or the next generation will be a little late.
Sharing is the core of Pokémon gameplay, Streetpass is core of the 3DS system. The two are born to work together!

On Wii U, you have a much greater battlefield to extend your 3DS gameplay. I didn't followed the Stadium games improvement on Wii (they didn't call it Stadium anymore but can't even name it properly!), but touch screen control, connectivity with 3DS (supposedly), online... Everything seems in position to have a great Pokémon generation.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So apparently Arkham has verified with the mods that he's in the business.
Were you told this by a moderator or are you simply pointing out a potential fact? By the way, did you see the requests for a GDC countdown in the OP?

Rösti;35311227 said:
By the way, did you see the requests for a GDC countdown in the OP?

No reason to add one until/unless there's confirmation of a substantial Nintendo presence there. Iwata isn't delivering a keynote this year, remember.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
No reason to add one until/unless there's confirmation of a substantial Nintendo presence there. Iwata isn't delivering a keynote this year, remember.
I remember, seeing as I pointed this out very early. I suppose a countdown isn't necessary, but there is some anticipation for new Wii U information being given at GDC, and more easily tangible information the merrier I think.

Snakeyes

Speaking of mod confirmation, couldn't someone just share the personal info of some friend that works at a major development house as proof and then proceed to spread bullshit?

Terrell

There will be GDC info. For those that don't remember, most of the info we got about Wii at GDC prior to launch wasn't even from the Iwata keynotes, it was stuff said to journalists at the booths and during panel Q&As, etc.

It might also be a time when 3rd-parties make oopsies that the Nintendo ninjas can't catch in time.

Coolwhip

Banned
For me it's hard to understand that Nintendo could develop something that is worse than something released 7 years ago. Really, how? Imagine the Ipad 3 being worse than a 7 year old tablet.

BD1

Banned
Maybe a Wii U game could incorporate some real life interactions. Star Fox 64 3D had those little camera/video things above the ships in the mulitplayer mode. The same could happen with an online Pokemon game when meeting people and trading with

I've said this earlier in the thread, I think those "FaceTime" (for lack of a better word) boxes we saw in SF643D are going to be improved upon and become a big feature of Nintendo Network. It will be Nintendo's answer to voice chat; bringing some of the personal elements of local multiplayer to online gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom