• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else playing Botw and wish for trophies???

I love Achievements and Trophies. They get me to play games id never play and they get me to replay games i never would. I think the fact Nintendo doesnt have them in place is a bummer

test_account

XP-39C²
Nah, Achievements/Trophies are the console gaming equivalent of the sparkly fanfare that phone games give you to feed the lizard part of your brain into thinking that you're making some sort of progress when in reality they're meaningless.
They might be meaningless to you, but others enjoy doing the challenges. Same thing as going for 100% in Zelda for example, its exactly the same thing. But maybe you find such implentation meaningless as well though. All of this is game related, so i dont really see the complain, especially since its completely optional.

"Gold" trophy: collect all 900 Korok seeds

No thanks.
900 seeds are already tied to the 100% :)

BizzyBum

Nope.

It's just so odd that people feel like they aren't accomplishing anything in a game if they don't have achievement / trophy gratification now.

MutFox

Banned
The game is rewarding enough.
Plus collecting 900 korok seeds tells you what Nintendo thinks about collecting everything.

The DLC will bring a lot of people back anyways.

Griss

The lack of trophies was a huge part of why I enjoyed it as much as I did.

When I summited death mountain, I just took time to appreciate it. Had there been a pop-up "I can see my HOUSE from here!!!!", the moment would have been ruined.

Secondly, when I was done having fun with the game I walked away having 'completed it'. I didn't have some nagging 65% trophy figure telling me "You didn't experience it all..." which is something I can't stand. In fact, Nintendo's 'prize' for collecting all Korok seeds was a brilliant response to drone-like collectionist gamers.

I really hate system-wide trophies and am so happy Nintendo dodged that with Switch.

FTF

I like trophies and I like BoTW so yeah, I'm with you op that they would have been nice.

But regardless, it's an amazing game that I loved from start to finish.

PSqueak

Banned
I have never, ever, played a game and thought: "oh man, this needs achievements".

Hell, i have never in my entire gaming life gotten an achievement/trophie and thought "Oh boy, the game would suck if it didn't have this notification".

Achievements are the most pointless shit ever added to games, very few of them are even clever or amusing.

They're not even like in Def Jam FFNY, first game to use the concept even in a self contained manner, which actually unlocked in game rewards.

I feel like I'd enjoy the game a whole lot less if at the start of the game, I walked towards the cliff edge overlooking the Great Plateau and got a pop-up on screen saying "Hyrule Never Changes".

test_account

XP-39C²
Secondly, when I was done having fun with the game I walked away having 'completed it'. I didn't have some nagging 65% trophy figure telling me "You didn't experience it all..." which is something I can't stand. In fact, Nintendo's 'prize' for collecting all Korok seeds was a brilliant response to drone-like collectionist gamers.
Nintendo already implemented a 100% system in Zelda, so unless you collected and did everything, you would have that nagging percentage. Besides, you can still experience everything without getting 100% of trophies/achievements. Completely depends on the game. Many of those challenges arent tied to specific things story wise or such, it could be things like "get 5 kills with one grenade" or "beat X-time in Y-race" etc.. Your insult regarding "drone-like collectionists gamers" are also uncalled for. Fine that you dont like trophies, but why insult others that do?

Ladekabel

At first I thought I want a n achievement/trophy system on Switch but the more games I'm playing without it the more relaxed I'm playing them. No more worrying if the 24% in my profile will really represent me beating a game.

Dsyndrome

I'd be more likely to continue playing and exploring the open world with them, yes. Would partially make up for the story miscues as well from my perspective (not everyone's). As it is, it's gone on the backburner.

Edit: Fuck, some people just have an extreme hatred of something that wouldn't affect them in the slightest if they were implemented. Get a grip.

K' Dash

No, keep that useless shit from my Nintendo games.

The brainwash is strong with the OP.

Edit: try colleting everything, you will be given what you deserve 🤣

zashga

Uh, no. I can honestly say the thought never crossed my mind in 100 hours of playing it. I guess I've just never cared or had friends who cared about achievements.

Both sides are so dumb ITT

"Trophies would make me buy a Switch/Zelda"
"Trophies would ruin Zelda, muuuuuhhhh immersion :'("

Games are all perfectly fine on PS4/XB1/Steam with achievements. All three platforms also give you an option to disable the notification completely if you don't want to be pulled out of your video game worlds.

brinstar

I don't mind trophies conceptually but I never notice when they're not there. They are just not a priority for me at all.

I guess it's just me, but I really don't understand the appeal behind trophies. There's no balance to them (either so crappy that you can get them simply by walking, or so sparse that you need to do tedious things just to get them), and doesn't really motivate me to play the game.

FTF

I feel like I'd enjoy the game a whole lot less if at the start of the game, I walked towards the cliff edge overlooking the Great Plateau and got a pop-up on screen saying "Hyrule Never Changes".

It could/would have been done like other games where you only get the trophies pop up icons after you beat the game.

Falchion

Absolutely. I'm acutely aware of the absence of achievements or trophies anytime I play my Switch. Wish they had included it in the platform because they can be turned off for anyone who doesn't care.

FHIZ

I like having a system-wide record of progression of some sort, so I would say I'd like it on the Switch across the board.

rhandino

Banned
Nintendo already implemented a 100% system in Zelda, so unless you collected and did everything, you would have that nagging percentage.
It's hidden and only "unlocked" after you beat the final boss.

Hell, one of the most asked things in OT for a while was how some posters managed to look the % of the game completed.

They also avoided putting things like "60/120 Shrines" or "20/900 Korok Seeds" in the loading screen in order to not overload the player with the "collect them all" mentality.

I am not really that averse towards achievements but it's not something I thought the game was lacking while playing it and if they do implement them in the future just give the option to disable the notifications.

boxoctosis

I would like some concrete hard to attain goals.

Then some secret exploratory goals.

So much of the map is unexplored. Incentivize me.

I look at the map, and that's incentive enough. All that stuff to explore. I do love maps though, from my orienteering youth. The contours on this map are *amazing*. It makes me want to explore.

Crayolan

Achievements would go against one of the core themes of the game--explore as much as you want and only as much as you want. The game does not push you do anything you don't want to, and even goes as far as to make fun of people completing things just to complete things (see: 900 Korok seed reward).

Wow! I'm not the only one! The whole time I was playing, I was like "Man I this game is awesome, but having trophies or achievements would make it even better".

test_account

XP-39C²
It's hidden and only "unlocked" after you beat the final boss.

Hell, one of the most asked things in OT for a while was how some posters managed to look the % of the game completed.

They also avoided putting things like "60/120 Shrines" or "20/900 Korok Seeds" in the loading screen in order to not overload the player with the "collect them all" mentality.

I am not really that averse towards achievements but it's not something I thought the game was lacking while playing it and if they do implement them in the future just give the option to disable the notifications.
I see, but thats what he/she talked about though, having that percentage nagging him after he finished the game. I would at least assume that he/she finished the game considering being done enjoying the game, but i could be wrong though.

I don't get the resistance to trophies/achievements. They're there for those that want them, and can also be ignored (notifications turned off) for those that don't. They don't make the game worse for those that dislike them, but increase enjoyment in games for those that want them. And it's not like they affect game design.

pretty much this.

nintendo fans seem to dislike options. backward thinking imo

Nope. I actually applaud Nintendo for not having trophies or achievements. This is coming from a guy who has platinums on all Souls games aside from Demon's Souls, The Witness, and a few others. Nintendo games are far more relaxing without them for me, even though I still try to 100% games that I like. There's just something about having to boot up your game in order to see all the work you did, as opposed to just seeing it from a menu.

On the opposite side of that, my former roommate REFUSED to purchase a Nintendo console because they didn't have achievements/trophies. He won't buy games if he doesn't think he can platinum them at some point, and he has bought games just to platinum them. Another friend of ours convinced him to buy Diablo 3 and said they'd play it together. They played it for one night and the friend never played it. It infuriates him that the game is sitting there with a single trophy and he won't play it again.

A good trophy list can really enhance a game. I bet Nintendo could really do some good stuff if they had such a feature and its a shame they seem to be so against it.

Bad achievements are bad, standard "complete mission X" ones seem pointless. But gameplay focused ones that push you to try weird or new ideas are great.

Z..

No, what's wrong with you?

You regularly come off as snippy, condescending and dismissive. It adds absolutely nothing to the conversation.

I think his questions makes perfect sense, actually... OP needs something that is completely inconsequential to be implemented otherwise it interferes with his ability to enjoy something. There is quite literally something wrong with him if he's that dependent on trophies that it ruins everything that lacks them for him.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck no keep that crap away from nintendo.
I play games for fun not to fill a checklist.

FTF

What? Which games have done that?

Trying to think of games but I know you can at least turn trophy notifications off on PS4 if you want:

eyy8g8ufb6bilp8gad2d.jpg

eliochip

I used to love Trophies. Something about getting the Platinum Trophy was super satisfying.

They became annoying after a while. It's actually kind of liberating that the Switch doesn't have a Trophy/Achievement system. I can play games for however long I want and not give a shit about the little things I missed.

Top Bottom