• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria pops up in Steam database

Rpgmonkey

I actually remember Bebpo guessing Tales might come to PC eventually lol.

I personally really like Zestiria and a PC version may make it easier to fix some of my bigger complaints about the game from a technical perspective.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yooooo this is great news. Has something that showed up on Steam database never been released?

The Halo apps, the Rise of Nations Gold apps, the Empire Earth apps, the classic Rainbow Six apps... there are dozens upon dozens of examples.

Shit on Scamco/Namco all you want, they've embraced the PC audience. I hope Sega sees this and tries doing the same with the Atlus JRPG catalog.

rhandino

Banned
Wow, this is truly amazing...

YhWK3Jd.gif

Now I can dream about ports of the Xillia games =P

Lingitiz

The Halo apps, the earlier Rise of Nations Gold apps, the Empire Earth apps, the classic Rainbow Six games... there are dozens upon dozens of examples.

Ahh yeah I seem to recall the Halo stuff. Were there ever explanations for any of that?

Dinda

Hmm, Tales of Zestiria is actually the first Tales in a long time that i wasn't really interestred in. Guess I'm a little burned out since all of them are kind of the same. (and actually getting a bit worse with every installment since Vesperia)

Vesperia would have probably be the best game for them to port on PC, It's pretty much the best, and even if it's quite old now, the newer ones still look kinda worse (not sure about Zesteria.)

Whatever, i will buy it day 1. gotta help JRPGs on PC.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Zestiria's auxiliary system is great in theory but it absolutely sucks in terms of execution. You get to notice its flaws every hour in the game and it totally compounds. =/

I'll write a more in-depth post when I get home.

I can't believe this could be happening. This is a dream come true of mine. The PC is my favourite video game platform and Tales is my most favourite video game series ever. I have like five copies of every single Tales game, I love them so much. I collect everything Tales.

If this happens, I'm going to buy so many copies and support it. Especially when the game goes on Steam sales. I'm going to give a copy to every one of my friends.

I've bought Fortune Summoners many times, so I know I'll do it with Tales.
There's a giveaway thread on NeoGAF, right? If they put Tales on Steam I'll give away lots of copies to people. Whenever I have the money, at least.

Almighty

Last Tales game I played was Vesperia, but I will probably get this assuming the game is decent. Mostly to support JRPGs on the PC. If the Personas(mostly 3, 4/Golden, and of course 5) or Vesperia get announced I would be ecstatic.

desmax

Sweeeet, I was scared of picking it on the PS3 after experiencing Xillia 2 framerate issues (And horrible aliasing of both games).

I'll definitely play it on PC's

JaseC

Ahh yeah I seem to recall the Halo stuff. Were there ever explanations for any of that?

Not really. Frankie said it was "bunk" but his word on unannounced things can hardly be considered gospel. Evidently Microsoft was working on ports at some point, but I'd say they were shelved when Halo Anniversary was greenlit.

JaseC

That's just normal stuff.

Not for a paid game:

To be clear, in terms of potential stuff-ups I think it's more likely that whoever uploaded the app accidentally flagged the game as free-to-play rather than got the name wildly wrong. Steam's backend generates three subs by default for all newly-uploaded apps: store + retail/beta testing/dev subs for paid content and free-on-demand/beta testing/dev subs for free content.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
uhhh... I guess? I'd take some damn quality over quantity but I guess some of you guys are content with anything :p

Well I mean they're a publisher so pretty much any platform support is defined by releasing their own output, even if they're not a great content vendor.

Soriku

Both Xillia games did much better / better numbers than Zestiria which was released later in the life cycle of the PS3 with bigger install base and bigger hype surrounding it.

There was not bigger hype for Zestiria over Xillia...

Xillia was the first ground-up PS3 Tales.

FLD

Shit on Scamco/Namco all you want, they've embraced the PC audience. I hope Sega sees this and tries doing the same with the Atlus JRPG catalog.

Yeah, Persona 5 on Steam, now that would be something else. I'm not too optimistic about it ever happening, though. :(

That would be fantastic. One of the only real major issues with the game is the performance, particularly 30 FPS battles in a series with a legacy of 60 FPS battles.

Have Bamco been good with PC ports though? This is , of course, teh company who had no problem leaving the Tales of Symphonia PS3 port at 30FPS (based off the PS2 game, which ran at 30FPS) despite the gamecube one being 60

Lingitiz

Yeah, Persona 5 on Steam, now that would be something else. I'm not too optimistic about it ever happening, though. :(

Certainly not at launch but it's definitely feasible in the future I would think, especially with Sega being so heavy in the PC market.

*writes down Tales of*

Another classic JPRG series that arrives on PC, I wonder what other could fit the platform. Seeing that VN and japanese games are on the rise on the system, I'm sure there's that "one" that would suit well the platform.

kayos90

If this comes to PC, I'm just going to say I totally called that Zestiria was not optimized for the PS3. Just saying.

MegaPanda

This is a huge step for Bamco if this pulls through. Just years ago they were debating on whether it would even be worth it to bring Graces F over and continue with the Tales localizations

Falk

that puzzling face
If this comes to PC, I'm just going to say I totally called that Zestiria was not optimized for the PS3. Just saying.

While it's obviously not really smooth on PS3, get realistic. In Japan, PS3 is a few magnitudes beyond being the main target platform. PC is irrelevant here.

Celebration music!

Yay! Wolf Team on the PC! Tales on PC!
I'm going to make sure that Namco Bandai don't regret this!

I'm going to make sure that Tales sells better on PC than any other platform!
Oh my gosh, I'm so excited, I don't even know what to say! This is the best!

I said I would buy lots of copies of this game if they put it on Steam. And I'm going to finish my promise! I'm buying at least ten copies on the first day! Or pre-purchase more than 10 copies. I don't know if you can pre-purchase more than one copy of something.

JaseC

https://steamdb.info/sub/60311/

An example from the same company.

That doesn't contradict what I'm saying. Free on Demand subs aren't generated without the app being flagged as free, but obviously ToZ isn't F2P, ergo somebody is trying to "troll" or a mistake was made: either somebody got the name wrong or -- and as I said, this is the most likely case -- the app was mistakenly flagged as free when it was uploaded. I'd expect the sub to change/be replaced in the future.

kayos90

While it's obviously not really smooth on PS3, get realistic. In Japan, PS3 is a few magnitudes beyond being the main target platform. PC is irrelevant here.

Of course PC is a non-factor. I'm not speaking in terms of geographic play. However, if you've created an engine for the PS4, it should be easier to port for PC. It's a no brainer. Same reason as to how FFXV coming to PC should be a no-brainer. Developing for current gen system goes very hand in hand with PC. I'm not saying the engine is designed for PC. I guess I should've noted that. What I am saying is that the PS4 engine, which I've said before that Zesty uses an engine designed for the PS4, is very compatible to the PCs.

Falk

that puzzling face
Of course PC is a non-factor. I'm not speaking in terms of geographic play. However, if you've created an engine for the PS4, it should be easier to port for PC. It's a no brainer. Same reason as to how FFXV coming to PC should be a no-brainer. Developing for current gen system goes very hand in hand with PC.

Well, yeah, developing an engine for PS4 for a series that's not planning to end any-time soon is the obvious roadmap for Bamco. I'm still not 100% convinced that the larger portion of revenue for this game won't come from the PS3 version, domestic + international, nor did the folks over at Bamco not plan/budget this way.

(Of course, that being said, a PS4 version would be free $$$)

I hope this does well, because Bandai Namco getting stuff sold on PC may help get some of their anime tie-in stuff on PC. Their internal inertia is insanely hard to overcome, but this is a good step.

Top Bottom