• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - PC Performance Thread

bongpig

Neo Member
Just noticed the game has been updated, with a single patch note:-

Added support for older generation CPUs. More specifically, the game no longer requires SSSE3 SIMD instruction set.

Gave it a twirl and it seems to run better for me. Before I had to have textures on medium to minimise the slight stutter when moving between areas. Now it seems I can put that back on very high, and its running really nicely. Also, the corridor just outside the dining room used to give me trouble performance wise, but now it keeps above 60fps with x2 supersampling. Yay.

Only tested for 10-15 minutes, so not entirely conclusive. Im going to have a proper bash at it later on and see whats what.

i5 4670k @ 4.4
gtx 1060 @ 2100/4500
running at 720p with x2 supersampling

GrazGamer

I'm curious what areas you're talking about. I'm 8 hours in and I haven't dropped below 60 FPS a single time at 4k on a Titan XP. All settings at max except for turning CA and lens flare off. Some shoddy textures aside, the game looks fantastic in HDR on a C6 OLED.

IIRC it dropped in the basement, the room with the noisy machinery and smoke and the molded. A few other places too. Even with reflections at variable a later boss fight caused drops.

My Titan runs well over 1800Mhz as well and I'm running 6700k i7.

Javier23

Banned
IIRC it dropped in the basement, the room with the noisy machinery and smoke and the molded. A few other places too. Even with reflections at variable a later boss fight caused drops.

Had the exact same issue. V-sync and a 60FPS cap *within the game settings and nowhere else* plus triple buffering in Nvidia's control panel fixed it for me.

ss_lemonade

I was about to post this just now. It's no use editing the config file, just tried that here with no success.
I gave up wasting time trying to get this game on my PC to display properly on my TV. Moved back to where my monitor is and just finished the game there.

The nice thing is I never had any performance issues from start to end. Only have a 780 but the game ran flawless at 1080p and near max settings, averaging past 60fps easily.

Late reply but I finished the game tonight and I didn't drop below 60 a single time. It's worth noting that my Titan's on water and gets up to ~2100mhz. I have a 6700k @ 4.7ghz as well.

Had the exact same issue. V-sync and a 60FPS cap *within the game settings and nowhere else* plus triple buffering in Nvidia's control panel fixed it for me.

I had vsync and 60 FPS cap set within the game, but no triple buffering.

GrazGamer

Late reply but I finished the game tonight and I didn't drop below 60 a single time. It's worth noting that my Titan's on water and gets up to ~2100mhz. I have a 6700k @ 4.7ghz as well.

I had vsync and 60 FPS cap set within the game, but no triple buffering.

That could explain it then, mine is not over clocked, I just have the boost at 120% with a slightly aggressive fan boost, which can be a bit noisy but worth it. My cpu is not clocked either.

I am not convinced triple buffering does anything though, in direct x I am sure it has to be an in game setting, in NCP it is for OpenGL only.

Unai

Everything was ok the last time I played some days ago, but now it's too bright, even on the Steam Overlay. HDR is off on the settings. I don't know what's going on.

pksu

Neo Member
Had some stutters with high textures settings and 970, seems to work smoothly with medium. Non-interlaced 1:1 1080p rendering and runs at solid 60 fps. 2600k @ 4.7 GHz, 16 GB ram and game installed on SSD

dcx4610

I went half the game with everything on default/high which were preset based on my GTX 1080 card. The frame rate was good at times but for some reason would get really laggy and stay laggy at times.

After playing with the settings, the game runs incredibly well now for me and it looks amazing. The biggest change was change the AA setting to SMAA. The frame rate jump was huge and the image is sharper. There are a bit more artifacts and jaggies with the setting but I'll take sharp over blurry and inconsistent frame rate.

Variable Refresh and Vsync seem to make a bit difference too. My eyes are used to 144hz so 60hz looks bad to me. Variable is the way to go if you want the higher frame rates. I noticed though that the frame rate still felt off with this setting and V-Sync was the culprit. I usually have V-Sync off because I liked uncapped frames and have a G-Sync monitor. Turning V-Sync on with the frame rate being variable seems to have fixed everything. I get smooth and fast frames and it never seems to have any drops.

If you are having trouble, I'd play with those two settings. Oh, and turn off Chromatic Aberration. Disgusting setting that just makes your game look worse.

Patchy

Banned
Get serious drops down to 30 at really odd times, like looking at a particular plant in the courtyard.

Overall it runs well and looks good!

After the dinner scene, VRAM usage jacks up to 4GB (not great when my GPU is a 970). Is it just texture and shadow settings that notably affect VRAM usage? Results in a lot of stutter issues when moving around the house.

Also, turning shadow cache off makes my GPU usage go up to 100%, and kills performance.

Marow

Apologize for bumping this, and it's entirely possible it's been answered earlier in this thread, but... is this game well-optimized?

I tried the Beginning Hour demo earlier and it ran very well in full-screen (1920x1080) with no changes to the default settings (which are set to normal, with some things like shadows on high). If anything, I could possible rarely see some very minor hitch, but that could also be due to the mouse sensitivity bugging me out (it doesn't feel good compared to a controller). But otherwise? Ran smooth with no graphical issues?

And that surprises me considering my setup:

GTX 570
i7-2600K
8GB Ram

I just tried it for curiosity, and while I could tell the fans getting loud, the result surprised me. Does the full game run as well or is it more demanding?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Apologize for bumping this, and it's entirely possible it's been answered earlier in this thread, but... is this game well-optimized?

I tried the Beginning Hour demo earlier and it ran very well in full-screen (1920x1080) with no changes to the default settings (which are set to normal, with some things like shadows on high). If anything, I could possible rarely see some very minor hitch, but that could also be due to the mouse sensitivity bugging me out (it doesn't feel good compared to a controller). But otherwise? Ran smooth with no graphical issues?

And that surprises me considering my setup:

GTX 570
i7-2600K
8GB Ram

I just tried it for curiosity, and while I could tell the fans getting loud, the result surprised me. Does the full game run as well or is it more demanding?

There are some sections that have large leaps in performance requirements. I would call it inconsistent, and especially with a 570 be prepared to play at very low settings.

The demo is not fully representative of the final game, and there will definitely be sections where performance will tank for a time.

Marow

There are some sections that have large leaps in performance requirements. I would call it inconsistent, and especially with a 570 be prepared to play at very low settings.

The demo is not fully representative of the final game, and there will definitely be sections where performance will tank for a time.
Thanks! Guess I'll wait till when I eventually upgrade my card.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey. I have an HDR display with ultra deep hdmi enable (LG OLED C6P). I have a 1080ti (so HDR capable).

I'm connecting it with an 18Gbps hdmi cable.

RE7 no matter what I do, says my display is not HDR enabled. I've tried all the different nvidia color modes/bit options. None change this.

I'm rendering at 4k and tried both color spaces.

Does anyone know how tf I get this game to recognize HDR?

dr_rus

Hey. I have an HDR display with ultra deep hdmi enable (LG OLED C6P). I have a 1080ti (so HDR capable).

I'm connecting it with an 18Gbps hdmi cable.

RE7 no matter what I do, says my display is not HDR enabled. I've tried all the different nvidia color modes/bit options. None change this.

I'm rendering at 4k and tried both color spaces.

Does anyone know how tf I get this game to recognize HDR?

What Windows version?

So guys just got the game in the gameseek sale what settings should I use with my 980/i7 5820k ? The Demo did run flawlessly but from reading this thread it seems theres issues later on so anyone else with a 4gb card that could list their settings?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What Windows version?

Pre creators update is all I know for certain.

But.

I solved it. I had to uninstall my TV in device manager. When it was recognized as "Generic monitor" it worked absolutely fine in HDR. Its god damn bonkers annoying, but I'm at least glad its figured out.

dr_rus

Pre creators update is all I know for certain.

But.

I solved it. I had to uninstall my TV in device manager. When it was recognized as "Generic monitor" it worked absolutely fine in HDR. Its god damn bonkers annoying, but I'm at least glad its figured out.

Heh. What was it previously?

TVs usually don't have specific Windows drivers and show up as Generic PnP Monitors.

Top Bottom