• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - PC Performance Thread

Afro

Lowering the texture quality to medium has fixed my problem entirely, I'm now at a locked 60 with no stutter or hitching. I'm now 3 hours into the game and it's really good so far, I will play more tomorrow.

Same. Was getting stutter w/ textures on High/Very High w/ a 980 Ti / i7 3770. All medium textures seems to do is slightly cause texture pop-in, but pretty rarely do I notice it.

Timu

Well game was running great until after the Garage scene, now I get a lot of long loads while moving around the house.

I'll go around a corner or open certain doors and it just freezes for a good 10 seconds, is this because I turned off Shadow cache? It's as if it's running out of memory but not sure if its a VRAM issue or system Ram (R9 290X 4GB / 12GB system ram)
It's a VRAM issue, this game favors 8GB gpus.

nkarafo

So i think i found the optimal settings for my 2GB 960.

The key was to reduce resolution from 1920x1080 to 1600x900 with borderless window so it doesn't change the native screen resolution. Then i increased the resolution scale to 1.1.

This makes the overall image a bit blurrier but there are no jaggies or aliasing (i use TAA). It also allows me to bump textures to "medium" and even the shadow quality to "high" which helps reduce the awful color banding without making the game crawl like previously. Now with all these settings the game runs smoothly, with minimal stutters here and there. I explored most of the
house after the dinner scene
along with
most of the processing area in the basement and even fought two monsters at the same time there
. There was no hitching during my playtime.

So i advise everyone with a 2GB card to do the same. Reduce resolution to 1600x900. You can still bump the resolution scaling a tiny bit to compensate and you will probably be able to increase an extra setting or two. And you will fix the awful judder without having to reduce textures to low. The game will look better this way.

JRW

Exactly my situation as well. I'd recommend first setting most settings to high, changing reflections to variable, and lowering the resolution, starting at 900p and adjusting the resolution scaler to upscale it to look sharper (anywhere from 1.2-1.5 as a starting point). I had the same lagginess but lowering the resolution and upscaling it fixed it completely (that said my video card also has 6gb vram, so you might need to lower some settings, but probably not all the way down to low...)

Looks like I was able to fix it by simply lowering the Texture Quality to medium and left resolution at 1080P, everything else as is (a mix of High / Very High settings) I took screenshots in a few areas comparing High vs Medium Texture quality and can't tell a difference lol. Played for a couple hours tonight and it ran excellent, no stutters or pauses.

I'm currently in
the yard trailer save room just after the crazy boss fight with Jack.

The texture change might be less noticable because I'm playing on a TV (Plasma) but not sure, Game still looks good IMO.

Just glad I can play without the abrupt 10 sec loading interuptions.as I'm traversing the house.

T.O.P

Banned
Kinda weird that the ONLY thing that makes the game stutter and dip in fps is the Texture option

I can put everything maxed but as long as the Texture are on Low i'm totally fine (970oc)

Anything above that makes everything stutter and the game also looks damn ugly (weird looking hair especially)

Hnnngghhh they got ultrawide to work

68VcPx4.jpg

Source

Kinda weird that the ONLY thing that makes the game stutter and dip in fps is the Texture option

I can put everything maxed but as long as the Texture are on Low i'm totally fine (970oc)

Anything above that makes everything stutter and the game also looks damn ugly (weird looking hair especially)

What resolution? At 1080p anything above Medium Textures will exceed the memory of a 970 which is why you get stuttering. And at higher resolutions you may not even be able to get to Medium:

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/resident_evil_7_biohazard_pc_performance_review/9

nkarafo

But how console versions can handle very high textures without stuttering?
The idea is that consoles have 8GB unified RAM. So they can use as much as they want for graphics. However, i don't really buy this excuse. It's not the equivalent of a 8GB VRAM GPU. This RAM is also used as system RAM. On PCs, the game can take up to 8GB of system RAM, separately of VRAM.

So how much of that RAM is reserved for VRAM on consoles? How much as "system" RAM and how much can't be used by the game because it's reserved to the OS?

I doubt the console versions use more than 3 or 4 GBs of that pool for graphics alone. PC version is just badly optimized, with serious memory leaks. On Windows 10, i could play smoothly @ 1080p and textures to "medium", after the demo area, with a 2GB card. But after some time it would start to stutter. But if i went to the menu and returned, the stutter would stop until it started again later on. That's memory leaking.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Same. Was getting stutter w/ textures on High/Very High w/ a 980 Ti / i7 3770. All medium textures seems to do is slightly cause texture pop-in, but pretty rarely do I notice it.

Yep, I'm noticing the same pop-in but it's not too often and it's miles better than constant frame rate drops and hitches, I'm now nearly 5 hours in and I don't think the frame rate counter has moved from 60 once since setting the textures to medium. I definitely don't accept that it's normal that I should have to play on medium textures with a 970 and you a 980ti but at least it fixed the issue entirely until they hopefully fix it.

I was able to play the demo at 1080p with very high textures and it was only using 3gb of vram is the main game alot more demanding?

Yes, that room was fine for me on high textures,the next area after is where it started to constantly drop frames and hitch.

GrazGamer

I'm playing on a Titan xp and it eats every bit of my 12gb on the card. Performance wise at 4K I have to turn reflections to variable, on just kills fps in some areas.

Unai

But how console versions can handle very high textures without stuttering?

Except they can't. What medium textures does is only renders the high resolution textures when you are looking at them, so sometimes you see poor textures transform in better textures because of a delay in loading them.

The exactly same thing happens even with the PS4 Pro. People were talking about it happening to them in the other thread.

This is ridiculous. the GTX 970 is/was the same price as a PS4, yet the latter somehow plays the game at better setting?! Ridiculous.

No, it doesn't. See above.

Hnnngghhh they got ultrawide to work

Source

Thank the ultrawide gods lol. It's unfortunate I played through most of the game in regular 16:9, but now at least I have the rest of the game and madhouse playthrough to look forward too. Game is going to be 10x better with this can't wait to get home from work to play this.

This is ridiculous. the GTX 970 is/was the same price as a PS4, yet the latter somehow plays the game at better setting?! Ridiculous.

The PS4 has the same texture streaming problems as if you were playing on PC on a lower setting, on top of that you can do a lot better resource management on a fixed platform like PS4 instead of drivers doing the work. Nothing ridculous about that.

Thank the ultrawide gods lol. It's unfortunate I played through most of the game in regular 16:9, but now at least I have the rest of the game and madhouse playthrough to look forward too. Game is going to be 10x better with this can't wait to get home from work to play this.

Exactly the same situation I had, I knew someone would do it but the game grabbed me too hard for me to wait. But like you, I'm looking forward to playing again in madhouse and the DLC.

Exactly the same situation I had, I knew someone would do it but the game grabbed me too hard for me to wait. But like you, I'm looking forward to playing again in madhouse and the DLC.

Yeah the first few days I didn't progress much in the game at all because I was trying to wait for a fix, but it was too hard. The game like you said just grabbed me and locked me in completely and I couldn't stop haha.

KainXVIII

Except they can't. What medium textures does is only renders the high resolution textures when you are looking at them, so sometimes you see poor textures transform in better textures because of a delay in loading them.

The exactly same thing happens even with the PS4 Pro. People were talking about it happening to them in the other thread.

No, it doesn't. See above.

Thanks, it must be DF video which make me confused (and not only me).

Tried the demo, game looks and plays amazingly on my i3 with a HD7770. Didn't even think I'd be able to start the game from looking at the minspec!

Abelard

The PS4 has the same texture streaming problems as if you were playing on PC on a lower setting, on top of that you can do a lot better resource management on a fixed platform like PS4 instead of drivers doing the work. Nothing ridculous about that.

That's only true to some level, but at this point a $900 system being outmatched by a $300 console is a bit ridiculous, no? What's even the point of PC gaming? Why Can I run better looking games like The Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight at max settings/1080p/60 FPS?

The game is just poorly optimized and another case of lazy developers, plain and simple.

Unai

That's only true to some level, but at this point a $900 system being outmatched by a $300 console is a bit ridiculous, no? What's even the point of PC gaming? Why Can I run better looking games like The Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight at max settings/1080p/60 FPS?

The game is just poorly optimized and another case of lazy developers, plain and simple.

It's not being outmatched...

Paragon

That's only true to some level, but at this point a $900 system being outmatched by a $300 console is a bit ridiculous, no?
Not when the limitation is the amount of memory available rather than raw performance.
The entire reason that things like texture quality options exist is to reduce the amount of VRAM a game is using.
If you refuse to turn down the settings, then you need a faster GPU.
A GPU can't be expected to run "max settings" forever - especially not one which is 2.5 years old and has half the VRAM of current GPUs.
"Very High Texture Quality" is not some predefined setting that has a fixed meaning across all games.
As games get more demanding, older GPUs have to use lower settings. You can't max things out forever.

It doesn't mean that a game is poorly optimized either.
A game from 3 years ago might have only used 3GB VRAM on max settings, while a game today might use 8GB.
I remember Shadow of Mordor requiring 6GB VRAM at the highest texture quality setting - something that only the Titan and 980Ti had at the time.

Just wait until Scorpio launches with 12GB of unified memory…
This is why AMD are moving away from treating VRAM on the GPU as the only available resource, and are instead moving to a new architecture with Vega that is designed to use its 8GB of HMB2 memory as a cache instead of the total accessible memory.
It's why their professional GPUs are moving towards having M.2 slots on the board - which will hopefully appear on consumer GPUs eventually.

You can't play The Witcher 3 on max settings/1080p/ with constant 60 fps on a 970. You can, however, get it looking way better than the PS4 version and achieve 60 fps with some very reasonable tweaks to the settings.

ss_lemonade

Game runs fine so far on my 780, which is a little bit weaker than a 970 and has lesser vram too. This is with high textures too. I'm only about 3 hours in or something though so I don't know if it gets worse.

The game is buggy though. I still have not figured out how to disable HDR so black levels is fucked for me. I've already reinstalled the game, reinstalled drivers, reinstalled older drivers and toggled a ton of settings here and there but the game still keeps forcing HDR brightness on me. My 970m laptop hooked to the same TV with the same hdmi cable does not exhibit the same problem (I can't even select the hdr option).

JRW

Game runs fine so far on my 780, which is a little bit weaker than a 970 and has lesser vram too. This is with high textures too. I'm only about 3 hours in or something though so I don't know if it gets worse.

The game is buggy though. I still have not figured out how to disable HDR so black levels is fucked for me. I've already reinstalled the game, reinstalled drivers, reinstalled older drivers and toggled a ton of settings here and there but the game still keeps forcing HDR brightness on me. My 970m laptop hooked to the same TV with the same hdmi cable does not exhibit the same problem (I can't even select the hdr option).

The VRAM issue didn't show up for me until shortly after
the main house boss encounter in the Garage
at which point I started experiancing massive pauses (up to 10 seconds at a time) lowering Texture quality to Medium fixed it completley and I was able to leave all other settings on High / 1080P res.

Haven't experianced any black level / HDR issues here but I'm on AMD (R9 290X 4GB) if that matters.

ss_lemonade

The VRAM issue didn't show up for me until shortly after
the main house boss encounter in the Garage
at which point I started experiancing massive pauses (up to 10 seconds at a time) lowering Texture quality to Medium fixed it completley and I was able to leave all other settings on High / 1080P res.

Haven't experianced any black level / HDR issues here but I'm on AMD (R9 290X 4GB) if that matters.

10 seconds?! Geez. No stuttering here on both my 780 desktop and 970m laptop (both 3gb gpus) and I'm past that part already so I wonder if there's something else causing performance issues on other setups

nkarafo

As games get more demanding, older GPUs have to use lower settings. You can't max things out forever
Yeah but a PC with a 970 will always be superior to a PS4. Forever. Anything a PS4 runs should be able to run on a 970, with enough headroom for extra bells and whistles even.

Your argument would stand for a 960. Even that card is more powerful that a PS4 but with 2GB is indeed very limited. A 970 has 4GB though. I highly doubt the PS4 uses more memory than that for textures and graphics alone.

Are reflections bugged? The game looks terrible with them on. HBAO+ is also causing a lot of ghosting.
I tried with SSAO and even disabled the setting completely and i still get horrible ghosting.

JRW

10 seconds?! Geez. No stuttering here on both my 780 desktop and 970m laptop (both 3gb gpus) and I'm past that part already so I wonder if there's something else causing performance issues on other setups

VRAM usage also depends on what resolution you're running.

Paragon

Yeah but a PC with a 970 will always be superior to a PS4. Forever. Anything a PS4 runs should be able to run on a 970, with enough headroom for extra bells and whistles even.
Your argument would stand for a 960. Even that card is more powerful that a PS4 but with 2GB is indeed very limited. A 970 has 4GB though. I highly doubt the PS4 uses more memory than that for textures and graphics alone.
A 970 effectively has 3.5GB VRAM.
I have a 1070 which has 8.2GB VRAM, and did some testing since I have a save at a point in the game where I can run around all the locations.

The only two settings which have a significant impact on VRAM are the shadow quality and texture resolution options.
And unfortunately anything less than very high shadows does indeed look terrible.
That's something they really need to fix with an update. It seems like they're not being filtered properly.

So if we assume that shadow quality must be set to very high, that leaves texture resolution as the only other variable we have.
At 1080p, the highest VRAM usage that I saw in my testing, ±100MB was:
  • Very Low: 3.3GB
  • Low: 3.8GB
  • Medium: 4.4GB
  • High: 7.9GB
  • Very High: 7.9GB
Perhaps someone with a 12GB Titan could confirm, but it doesn't actually seem like very high is hitting the limits of my 1070 as I never saw it reach 8GB usage. It just seemed to be more consistently high, in the range of 7.5-7.9GB on Very High rather than 7.1-7.9GB on High.
Contrary to the "poor optimization" claims, the game actually seemed to be very good at memory management, with memory usage seemingly having a set target that it would stay within ±100MB for everything but the highest settings where it seemed to vary a bit more. I assume that means not every texture in the game has higher than "medium" resolution available.

So with a 970, I would hesitate to use medium resolution textures, and even low would be questionable due to that slow 0.5GB the card has.
If they improve the shadow quality in a patch so that lower quality levels are a viable option, that might enable the use of higher resolution textures, but right now I would only reduce the shadow quality if you have 3GB VRAM or less.

Droog

So i think i found the optimal settings for my 2GB 960.

The key was to reduce resolution from 1920x1080 to 1600x900 with borderless window so it doesn't change the native screen resolution. Then i increased the resolution scale to 1.1.

This makes the overall image a bit blurrier but there are no jaggies or aliasing (i use TAA). It also allows me to bump textures to "medium" and even the shadow quality to "high" which helps reduce the awful color banding without making the game crawl like previously. Now with all these settings the game runs smoothly, with minimal stutters here and there. I explored most of the
house after the dinner scene
along with
most of the processing area in the basement and even fought two monsters at the same time there
. There was no hitching during my playtime.

So i advise everyone with a 2GB card to do the same. Reduce resolution to 1600x900. You can still bump the resolution scaling a tiny bit to compensate and you will probably be able to increase an extra setting or two. And you will fix the awful judder without having to reduce textures to low. The game will look better this way.

A bit late but thanks for sharing your settings as I'm using the same graphics card.

I actually found changing the AA to anything BUT SSAO (I'm using FXAA right now) and leaving Shadow Cache set to ON gave me the best performance. I have shadows set to High also as to counter the shadow banding too.

I left my resolution at 1080p Full Screen with resolution scaling at 1.0 and my fps remains consistently at 60 for the most part - there are some minor dips (mid 50s) when entering large, open areas but when I had Shadow Cache Off and SSAO On, these areas would dip noticeably into the mid 40s. A good example was the
Trailer park area.

KainXVIII

Someone need to test all that texture resolution quality settings with screenshots (maybe even restart required) and not only in one scene..

nkarafo

So if we assume that shadow quality must be set to very high, that leaves texture resolution as the only other variable we have.
At 1080p, the highest VRAM usage that I saw in my testing, ±100MB was:
  • Very Low: 3.3GB
  • Low: 3.8GB
  • Medium: 4.4GB
  • High: 7.9GB
  • Very High: 7.9GB
I'm sorry but i think these numbers are ridiculously high for what the game offers. Also, keep in mind that the game also takes up 6 to 8 GBs or system RAM. That's the total RAM a PS4 has for everything. If those are correct, then the game is just a RAM hog on the PC.

But something has to be wrong here. I have a 2GB card. According to these, i shouldn't be able to play the game at all, even with very low textures.

Right now i have a smooth experience at 1600x900 with 1.1 scale (which compensates for most of the lost pixels) shadows at "high" and textures at "medium". In comparison, the game didn't run as smooth on the same setup at 1080p with 0.9 scale (which should be about the same pixel count), shadows at "medium" and textures at "medium". To me it looks like there is something wrong with the 1920x1080 resolution preset.

Paragon

But something has to be wrong here. I have a 2GB card. According to these, i shouldn't be able to play the game at all, even with very low textures.
In my post I said that this was tested using the very high quality shadows since anything lower really hurts image quality.
I also had everything else turned up since the amount of VRAM used is relatively small for the other options.
With a GPU which has 3GB or less VRAM, you need to drop the shadow quality though.

nkarafo

Interesting. SSAO fixes the ghosting for me.
When i say "ghosting" i mean the blurry trail some objects leave behind when you move the camera, under some lighting conditions.

I know it's a LCD thing but Resident Evil 7 is much worse than other games in this regard.

Top Bottom