• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - PC Performance Thread

PRBoricua

I might have to shelve this game for a little while, the performance issues are just too much.

Made it out of the
main house
after locating the
3 dog's heads
and never mind the micro-stuttering I was dealing with IN the house, it's much worse outside. Also, my CPU usage has gone through the roof from 40%-50% into the 90's. That, put together with the weird texture issues and I think I'm gonna have to stop until these performance issues are resolved. I plan on upgrading my GPU later this year, so we'll see where we're at in a month or so when I have a better graphics solution.

It's a shame too because I'm enjoying the fuck out of this game!

My specs for those wondering:

i5-4690k @ 4.3ghz
16 GB RAM
SLI GTX 970 (using Batman: Arkham Origin profile)

PRBoricua

How's performance without SLI?

I tried it once, it was about the same inside the house. But now that I've changed locations I'll check into it again and see what I can come up with. I'll take the micro-stuttering from before over the huge frame drops I'm seeing now.

Also going to try and drop the texture settings and see how that affects the performance now that I see people saying that lowering them is helping.

ISee

What's the performance of hit of TAA?

No way to turn AA off completely. SMAA is the most expansive one (besides turning pixel density up of course). TAA and FXAA seem to be on the same level performance wise. So barely anything.

8gb of Ram didn't affect my demo playability. Will it hurt the main game?

I really should get 16 lol.

Yeah you should start thinking about it. Also if you're on an Intel CPU (broadwell or better) getting faster ram (ddr3 2400+ or ddr4 3000+) really helps in some games too, especially in CPU bottleneck situations.
But to get back to your question: 8gb seems to be fine here. RAM usage is at about 6.5gb on my system.

i7 4770k @ 3.5ghz
HD 7870
Windows 10

How well could I run it? Currently running 1920 x 1200 resolution.

In general the game seems to run very well on AMD gpus, but A 7870 is a slightly slower 270x (more or less) if I remember correctly and is rather weak by today's standards.

1080p/max settings/shadow cahe off said:
captureq8amq.jpg

But if you set pixel density to 0.8 (1536x900) turn of shadow cache (important) and lower settings you might get it to 60fps. Of course you should also try the demo before buying, performance isn't dramatically different.

bronson

Getting an insane amount of screen tearing here. I'm only on a GTX 770/i5 2500k, so I'm ok with lowering some graphics settings, but Vsync just isn't doing anything at all.

Paragon

Getting an insane amount of screen tearing here. I'm only on a GTX 770/i5 2500k, so I'm ok with lowering some graphics settings, but Vsync just isn't doing anything at all.

Do you have Adaptive V-Sync enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel? That will tear if you can't hit your framerate target. (the refresh rate or 1/2 the refresh rate)
You should leave the framerate limiter set to variable too.

ChrisMV

Neo Member
I am unable to select 59.94 in 4k when trying to play on a 4k TV, it maxes out at 29.97...

Has anyone had this issue?

No, FXAA, or FXAA+TAA ruins the image quality. It makes the edges of everything look ragged instead of smooth.
Zoomed 2x:
taafxaaeraka.gif

I'm not seeing any of that, looks pretty clean to me using, FXAA-TAA- reshade sharpness at around 2.00. I'm playing on a tv though, not monitor, if that's any difference.

418370_20170129140221aeb21.png

So I was casual playing through the game finishing the achievements and suddenly the game crashed with an error window describing something. I was too dumb and closed it quickly... now the game is constantly stuck at 11fps... any pointers?

pa22word

So I was casual playing through the game finishing the achievements and suddenly the game crashed with an error window describing something. I was too dumb and closed it quickly... now the game is constantly stuck at 11fps... any pointers?

Try deleting re7_config.ini and starting the game.

Kinda sounds like the 24hrz bug combined with vsync set to half refresh.

Corpekata

Banned

Sounds to me like your GPU driver crashed and only partially recovered. Have you restarted your PC since it happened, or played any other demanding games?

Oh wow, is this the fastest denuvo crack?, sucks for capcom I guess.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/418370/discussions/0/133255810023867513/

Code:
        RELEASE NAME ───────■   Resident.Evil.7.Biohazard-CPY                   
        RELEASE DATE ───────■   29/01/2017                                      
        SHOP RELEASE DATE ──■   24/01/2017                                      
        RELEASE TYPE ───────■   GAME                                            
        KIND ───────────────■   Survival Horror                                 
        FORMAT ─────────────■   ISO                                             
        PROTECTION ─────────■   Denuvo x64 + Steam                              
        FILES N ────────────■   XXx500MB                                        

Instructions:                                                           

- Burn or mount the image                                               
        - Install the game                                                      
        - Copy the crack                                                        
        - Enjoy                                                                 

- Since the pre-purchase DLCs are basically help for the game,          
          we decided to lock them by default. To unlock it just modify the        
          line "Unlock_DLCheats" in the CPY.ini file                              
        - Patch #1 is not included, but who cares lol

NeoRaider

Oh wow, is this the fastest denuvo crack?, sucks for capcom I guess.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/418370/discussions/0/133255810023867513/

Code:
        RELEASE NAME ───────■   Resident.Evil.7.Biohazard-CPY                   
        RELEASE DATE ───────■   29/01/2017                                      
        SHOP RELEASE DATE ──■   24/01/2017                                      
        RELEASE TYPE ───────■   GAME                                            
        KIND ───────────────■   Survival Horror                                 
        FORMAT ─────────────■   ISO                                             
        PROTECTION ─────────■   Denuvo x64 + Steam                              
        FILES N ────────────■   XXx500MB                                        

Instructions:                                                           

- Burn or mount the image                                               
        - Install the game                                                      
        - Copy the crack                                                        
        - Enjoy                                                                 

- Since the pre-purchase DLCs are basically help for the game,          
          we decided to lock them by default. To unlock it just modify the        
          line "Unlock_DLCheats" in the CPY.ini file                              
        - Patch #1 is not included, but who cares lol

Yes it is.
5 days only, this never happened before.

RIP Denuvo.

ss_lemonade

Is hbao+ supposed to make objects produce trails when panning the camera? I thought it was my TV at first until I switched that setting down to ssao.

AAMARMO

Banned
My CPU i5 6600k 4Ghz is having some heating issue ranging from 70-90c.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
Intel Core i5-6600K
16 GB DDR4 RAM

Moz

Mine looks and runs perfect at 1440p on highest settings as long as I turn reflections to variable. If I turn them on, every surface looks weirdly grainy and strange, like it's reflecting incredibly low-res shadows. It's a complete eyefuck. 1080 btw.

Paragon

I'm not seeing any of that, looks pretty clean to me using, FXAA-TAA- reshade sharpness at around 2.00. I'm playing on a tv though, not monitor, if that's any difference.

https://abload.de/img/418370_20170129140221aeb21.png
It's mostly visible on brighter or more contrasted objects like my example, and the chromatic aberration may make it less noticeable.
You probably won't notice a difference in that shot without an A/B comparison since it's dark, and even then it's just a few stray pixels.

taafxaa3dloxr.gif

But you can see it more clearly in a brighter part of the same room.

tafxaa2jgp8z.gif

It's not a major thing most of the time, but I don't see any benefit to using both, and at least some of the time, it looks worse to have both enabled.

Afro

Ia there a difference between Medium and Very High textures? Seems like there's no difference from posts I've read.

Thanks. I still haven't gotten it to work, but I think it has something to do with my KS8000 not recognizing an HDR signal. Bollocks.
You are full screen and the cable is correct? When I first got Shadow Warrior 2 which has HDR it didn't work but after re-installing a few months later it does. Nothing changed on my PC. Same HDMI cable (this one) but obviously different drivers.
I also have a KS8500 (KS7500 in UK) and HDR worked first time. I guess things can be a bit glitchy sometimes.

s_mirage

Ia there a difference between Medium and Very High textures? Seems like there's no difference from posts I've read.

My guess is that it controls the amount of high quality textures loaded at the same time. On medium there's a greater chance of getting some texture pop-in, but it doesn't happen much. Set it to medium if you're VRAM limited as the game doesn't seem to handle running out of VRAM elegantly at all.

Afro

My guess is that it controls the amount of high quality textures loaded at the same time. On medium there's a greater chance of getting some texture pop-in, but it doesn't happen much. Set it to medium if you're VRAM limited as the game doesn't seem to handle running out of VRAM elegantly at all.

Yeah, I was getting some pop-in, but very minor. I'll leave it at Medium since it seems to reduce stutter a bit.

M_A_C

I had to go to borderless windowed to get a good v-sync and framerate without lag. No HDR on my KS8000 but I don't think it works right anyways. The TV never detected a HDR signal.

Borderless saves the day again for sure tho.

MazeHaze

Banned
I had to go to borderless windowed to get a good v-sync and framerate without lag. No hard on my KS8000 but I don't think it works right anyways. The TV never detected a HDR signal.

Borderless saves the day again for sure tho.
HDR works on my KS8000.

nkarafo

I don't get the 9-20fps vs 70-80fps gap in performance between a 770/960 and a 1060 in some benchmarks in this thread. It suggests that the 1060 card is four, up to seven times faster than those other cards, which isn't the case (it's normally twice as fast at best). Is Capcom deliberately crippling those older cards? The game doesn't look as good to suggest 20fps on a 770/960 at 1080p, it runs at 60fps on a base PS4 lol.

Unai

I don't get the 9-20fps vs 70-80fps gap in performance between a 770/960 and a 1060 in some benchmarks in this thread. It suggests that the 1060 card is four, up to seven times faster than those other cards, which isn't the case (it's normally twice as fast at best). Is Capcom deliberately crippling those older cards? The game doesn't look as good to suggest 20fps on a 770/960 at 1080p, it runs at 60fps on a base PS4 lol.

It's most likely due to the 960/770 v-ram limit and not the processing power itself. Lowering settings like textures would probably make the difference smaller I would guess.

c0Zm1c

It's most likely due to the 960/770 v-ram limit and not the processing power itself. Lowering settings like textures would probably make the difference smaller I would guess.

If my experience with the demo (running on a single core of my 690, so roughly the equivalent of a 670) is something to go by then that sounds about right. Lowering textures right down and disabling a few other settings I was able to get a mostly 60fps experience, with some settings still on high.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, in terms of performance the game runs great at 1440p with max settings + SMAA, but it suffers greatly from piss-poor textures from PSone era (VR be damned!) and huge amount of aliasing even in 4K with SMAA, which is just mind boggling. I think aliasing problem is related to shaders and VFX only and there's no anti-aliasing option to fix this problem.

As for the textures, WTF Capcom? Was it so hard to give as an option to download original textures as a free DLC for PC? I mean, how many people have VR on PC? 5% at best! The rest of the people either can not afford it or simply don't care about it at all (just like me). So I see absolutely no reason for this game to look as bad as it is now on PC. It's not like all textures are bad, but at least 80% of them are for sure.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Had to turn textures to low to avoid that insane stuttering. Still stutters, but not as bad as before. R9 270X here. I guess 2 GB VRAM just ain't cutting it with this one.

nkarafo

Had to turn textures to low to avoid that insane stuttering. Still stutters, but not as bad as before. R9 270X here. I guess 2 GB VRAM just ain't cutting it with this one.
How is the quality of low textures? Does it look significantly worse than the PS4 version? Or even the XBOXone?

ss_lemonade

Maybe it's because I'm using an older 780ti... I dunno.

VVV - Thanks! I'm waiting for the 1080ti to upgrade. I might pickup the PS4 Pro version soon also.
Interesting that you do not run into the issue of the game forcing hdr on you. We have nearly the same hardware (ks9000, gtx 780 non ti) and it's close to unplayable on my TV due to brightness issues

Well, in terms of performance the game runs great at 1440p with max settings + SMAA, but it suffers greatly from piss-poor textures from PSone era (VR be damned!) and huge amount of aliasing even in 4K with SMAA, which is just mind boggling. I think aliasing problem is related to shaders and VFX only and there's no anti-aliasing option to fix this problem.

TAA?

Drogean

anyone else notice HBAO/SSAO on any setting does nothing?

Took two screenshots side by side to compare and OFF vs ON is identical

mario_O

So I finally got HDR to work, but what a pain...

Only '10 bit 4:2:0' seems to be working'ish. I tried 4:2:2 and it saturates the image with a red tint. And it also won't allow me to use 1440p. With 4:2:2 it's only 4K or 1080p, nothing inbetween. I can't play at 4K with my 980Ti.

With 4:2:0 I can select 1440p but the image doesn't fill the 4K screen, I get a small rectangle on the center of the screen. Tried GPU scaling in NCP, didn't work. The solution was to use the in-game scaling. Setting the resolution to 4K and scaling it down to 0.7-0.8. That worked and I could finally play the game with HDR.

But then another problem happened. Sometimes the HDR driver or whatever it is stops working correctly, and I get the red tint again (with 4:2:0), and performance also takes a hit. I have to quit the game and restart to fix it.

So yeah, it's been quite a pain in the ass. But when it woks it does look fantastic.

Gitaroo

So I finally got HDR to work, but what a pain...

Only '10 bit 4:2:0' seems to be working'ish. I tried 4:2:2 and it saturates the image with a red tint. And it also won't allow me to use 1440p. With 4:2:2 it's only 4K or 1080p, nothing inbetween. I can't play at 4K with my 980Ti.

With 4:2:0 I can select 1440p but the image doesn't fill the 4K screen, I get a small rectangle on the center of the screen. Tried GPU scaling in NCP, didn't work. The solution was to use the in-game scaling. Setting the resolution to 4K and scaling it down to 0.7-0.8. That worked and I could finally play the game with HDR.

But then another problem happened. Sometimes the HDR driver or whatever it is stops working correctly, and I get the red tint again (with 4:2:0), and performance also takes a hit. I have to quit the game and restart to fix it.

So yeah, it's been quite a pain in the ass. But when it woks it does look fantastic.

haven't tested this game but I think I got 1080p, 4:4:4 12bit color to work fine with Shadow Warriars 2 HDR on my 970. Might have something to do with TV as well.

louiedog

I am unable to select 59.94 in 4k when trying to play on a 4k TV, it maxes out at 29.97...

Has anyone had this issue?

I'm probably way late in trying to help, but try another cable if you can.

I was using an HDMI cable that was supposedly up to spec but it only let me do 30hz at 4k. A better cable worked fine without changing anything else.

Top Bottom