• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - PC Performance Thread

Struct09

The game runs really well for the most part on my GTX 970 at 1080p/60. It occasionally stutters for a few seconds, but it's rare enough that I can deal with it.

nkarafo

Max settings? How so? The 970 is not a magic card, having this line of thought is absurd.
Isn't it much more powerful than what the PS4 has though? Or even a PS4 pro?

There is no info about what PC settings are the equivalent of a PS4 quality but that digital foundry video has me worried that it's MAX settings. So anything from a 960 card or above should be able to handle them.

MazeHaze

Banned
Game should run like a dream on max settings on a 970. He shouldn't have to lower anything to medium.
This is false, I have to turn textures to medium, shadow cache off to run without terrible stutter on my 980 even.

Edit: it seems like it ran fine on max settings at first, but as soon as I got past the dinner scene, oooh boy. Frame drops to 0fps for multiple seconds at a time. Definitely a vram issue.

ISee

Isn't it much more powerful than what the PS4 has though? Or even a PS4 pro?

There is no info about what PC settings are the equivalent of a PS4 quality but that digital foundry video have me worried that it's MAX settings. Anything on a 970 (or even on a 960) should be better than a base PS4.

I seriously doubt it. E.g. HBAO+ is normally a PC exclusive feature so PS4/pro is most probably 'just' using ssao (something that's missing in the DF video). DF latest PC videos seem a bit rushed...

robotrock

Banned
This is false, I have to turn textures to medium, shadow cache off to run without terrible stutter on my 980 even.

Edit: it seems like it ran fine on max settings at first, but as soon as I got past the dinner scene, oooh boy. Frame drops to 0fps for multiple seconds at a time. Definitely a vram issue.

I had shadows on high, textures on high, and turned off the shadow cache for a good 60fps on a 970. also had TXAA off in exchange for FXAA at 1080p

Paragon

Hmm, I see. Thanks for the info! Should I then still cap it to 30 or leave it on "Variable" in-game when I chose Adaptive+Half-Refresh Vsync in Nvidia settings?
Leave it on variable if V-Sync is handling the frame limiting instead of the game. Having both enabled can conflict and cause problems.

Nerrel

Game should run like a dream on max settings on a 970. He shouldn't have to lower anything to medium.

3.5GB, my friend. It's finally taking its toll at 1080p.

I haven't played too far beyond the dinner scene, but I'm getting by with everything maxed out except shadows, set to high. Shadow cache is still on... I don't really understand what the setting does. Can someone explain it so that I can decide what I'm losing by turning it off?

nkarafo

3.5GB, my friend. It's finally taking its toll at 1080p.

I haven't played too far beyond the dinner scene, but I'm getting by with everything maxed out except shadows, set to high. Shadow cache is still on... I don't really understand what the setting does. Can someone explain it so that I can decide what I'm losing by turning it off?
3.5? Try 2.

I mean, i have a 960 2GB and the demo runs at 60fps at high settings. Not max though. But i would assume a 970 would have no problems with it.

But then, recent benchmarks of the full game suggest that the game is unusable on a 960 at high settings (20fps lol) and apparently the game can't keep up on a 970 either. And that's with graphics similar to a PS4, according to DF the graphics are the same but they don't mention what settings they used.

This whole thing is too confusing to me, all the information pieces i have contradict with each other. I'm not sure if i should get the game or not. I would definitely not buy it if it doesn't at least offer me the same experience as the regular PS4. So far, all games are either much better or a little better for me. But never worse.

Newest patch seems to have fixed things on my end. High textures and shadow cache are still fucked but without that the game ran for two hours without stuttering.

JakeD

3.5? Try 2.

I mean, i have a 960 2GB and the demo runs at 60fps at high settings. Not max though. But i would assume a 970 would have no problems with it.

But then, recent benchmarks of the full game suggest that the game is unusable on a 960 at high settings (20fps lol) and apparently the game can't keep up on a 970 either. And that's with graphics similar to a PS4, according to DF the graphics are the same but they don't mention what settings they used.

This whole thing is too confusing to me, all the information pieces i have contradict with each other. I'm not sure if i should get the game or not. I would definitely not buy it if it doesn't at least offer me the same experience as the regular PS4. So far, all games are either much better or a little better for me. But never worse.

well i cant speak for a 960 but many people in here, myself included have gotten it running fine on a 970. 1.1 res scaling even for me.

Akronis

3.5? Try 2.

Unified memory pool is a win for consoles in these scenarios. Lots of games are VRAM hungry now.

Sanctuary

Does anyone know where the file that stores the HDR settings is? It's not in the config file. I actually uninstalled the game entirely and then reinstalled it just because I could not find the location, and launching the game in non HDR mode still has the settings associated with HDR mode, which completely kills the brightness control.

I played through on a 960 with everything max except I used SSAO, high shadows/textures, CA off, shadow cache off and reflections variable. Managed a pretty constant 30fps at 1080p

ss_lemonade

Does the game get significantly more demanding later? I'm still very early in the game, at the dinner scene and it's so far been running very well on my 970m laptop. Runs better too on my 780 desktop. Both machines have GPUs below a common 970 so I'm a bit worried I won't be able to maintain 60 fps later lol

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does the game get significantly more demanding later? I'm still very early in the game, at the dinner scene and it's so far been running very well on my 970m laptop. Runs better too on my 780 desktop. Both machines have GPUs below a common 970 so I'm a bit worried I won't be able to maintain 60 fps later lol

There are a frequent number of demanding locations, connected by not demanding locations. So if you don't have the brunt for it, the framerate kinda hops up and down a lot.

The game runs really well for the most part on my GTX 970 at 1080p/60. It occasionally stutters for a few seconds, but it's rare enough that I can deal with it.
I have pretty much everything maxed on a 970 and it runs great..
well i cant speak for a 960 but many people in here, myself included have gotten it running fine on a 970. 1.1 res scaling even for me.

Same experience here. Will have to look at my settings, but pretty much everything maxed out with no problems/dips outside of rare stuttering, and I'm way passed the dinner scene

Maxios

I have a GTX 970, 8 GBs of RAM, and an Intel i5-6400 CPU. Even on the lowest settings going into certain areas (the main hall and the hallways that lead into it) cause the game to stutter like crazy while it runs a smooth 60 FPS on the highest settings everywhere else.

I have a GTX 970, 8 GBs of RAM, and an Intel i5-6400 CPU. Even on the lowest settings going into certain areas (the main hall and the hallways that lead into it) cause the game to stutter like crazy while it runs a smooth 60 FPS on the highest settings everywhere else.

Drivers updated?

Weird, I have it on max settings, CA off and TAA + FXAA and it is 99 % 60fps @1080p.

i5 6600k, 16GB DDR4 RAM @2400Mhz and GTX 970. All stock.

aradikus

Weird, I have it on max settings, CA off and TAA + FXAA and it is 99 % 60fps @1080p.

i5 6600k, 16GB DDR4 RAM @2400Mhz and GTX 970. All stock.

I agree, 6600k & STRIX 970 (newest driver from couple days ago), 16GB DDR4 3200mhz, 850 EVO SSD here. 1080p Max settings except Reflections is on Variable, even HBAO+ is on, 99% of the time it's 60 unless I load a new area, it'll drop to 55ish for a couple frames, just long enough for the Nvidia gamestream FPS counter to report it, then jump back up to 60. If I play with V-sync off and uncap the frame limit, it'll run as high as 170fps, but average around 130fps. I played for 4 hours last night, my first real solid session of play in this game. I'm really happy with performance. Load times from a death are like 3-4 seconds, honest to god. That's the best part, in my opinion!

One thing I noticed on Monday night when the game unlocked on Steam, when I was changing settings in-game to check them out, the game would perform really bad even when lowering graphics options. That is to say, if I had default settings and it was 60fps, adding 1.5 Internal resolution would (of course) severely impact performance, but then going back to default did not get me the same performance as when I started! So I maxed everything out, then exited the game. Once I relaunched, everything was perfect. I think the new Nvidia driver helped with this though, because last night I was playing around with V-sync & frame limiting (as described above) and that didn't happen again. Strange.

rtcn63

Not sure if it helps anyone- in the Nvidia control panel, try changing Global Settings -> Power management mode to "Adaptive". And under the Program Settings for RE7 itself, put the power management as either Adaptive or Prefer maximum performance. (The former works fine on my 1060- but for other games I've had to change to the latter to stop low FPS).

KageMaru

Does anybody know what option can get rid of the ... for lack of a better word ... "artifacting" that I'm seeing? It looks like white dots. Almost like confetti or something, it seems to show up in areas that are supposed to be wet, like blood, or any water. Although I see them to a lesser extent in other places too. It's very distracting.

Don't think I've seen this answered yet. Change reflections from on to variable and that should fix it.

Disappointed that Capcom didn't fix these artifacts for release.

MazeHaze

Banned
This is my experience as well at 1080p with a 980, i54690k and 8gb ram. Turning textures to medium fixes everything and I can run smoothly at 1440p.

Maybe textures are just super ram hungry for some reason. Anyone with only 8gb ram get a flawless performance?

rtcn63

This is my experience as well at 1080p with a 980, i54690k and 8gb ram. Turning textures to medium fixes everything and I can run smoothly at 1440p.

Maybe textures are just super ram hungry for some reason. Anyone with only 8gb ram get a flawless performance?

I have 8GB of ram and 6GB of vram. Very high textures, medium shadows (no shadow cache). Maintained a stable 1080/60 99% of the time.

And I'm on Win7.

dlauv

With my GTX 970, I can max the game out on everything except texture quality.

If it's anything above "medium" I get massive stuttering issues. And they look a little ugly.

Sanctuary

Don't think I've seen this answered yet. Change reflections from on to variable and that should fix it.

Disappointed that Capcom didn't fix these artifacts for release.

The issue with reflections makes it look like the pixels are "swarming", and changing the reflections option to variable stops that. The white dots are a problem I've had on any reflective, "wet" surface and changing the reflections to either variable or off doesn't fix this. It seems to be AA related too, because anything other than TAA + FXAA makes it way worse. It literally looks like someone puked glitter on shiny, wet surfaces.

PRBoricua

The issue with reflections makes it look like the pixels are "swarming", and changing the reflections option to variable stops that. The white dots are a problem I've had on any reflective, "wet" surface and changing the reflections to either variable or off doesn't fix this. It seems to be AA related too, because anything other than TAA + FXAA makes it way worse. It literally looks like someone puked glitter on shiny, wet surfaces.

Yes, this! I've messed with every setting and nothing really helps. I've been on SMAA and it's the most tolerable, but it would be great if they went away completely.

Paragon

The white dots are a problem I've had on any reflective, "wet" surface and changing the reflections to either variable or off doesn't fix this. It seems to be AA related too, because anything other than TAA + FXAA makes it way worse. It literally looks like someone puked glitter on shiny, wet surfaces.
That's a side-effect of the physically-based rendering techniques used in many new games.
Temporal anti-aliasing is basically required. Not even downsampling works to remove it.

KageMaru

Oops sorry, thanks for clarifying. Sounds like an issue with specular highlights in the game, no? Unfortunately I have to wait until I get the game.

Denzar

Yeah, same here... Patch didn't do squat.

Drivers updated?

Yep...

I have TAA enabled, Is it worth going with FXAA-TAA combo?

TAA alone is fine. FXAA + TAA blurs the game even more and it's just not worth the performance hit.

Oops sorry, thanks for clarifying. Sounds like an issue with specular highlights in the game, no? Unfortunately I have to wait until I get the game.

Set your reflections to variable. Should solve the issue.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

I get this as well. i5 6600, 1080 running latest patch. Exact same issue as you.

ss_lemonade

Patch did nothing to fix hdr for me on my TV. Steam overlay is still brightly washed out with HDR disabled, and enabling it makes everything super dark :(

I'm sorry if this has been covered, but how do you enable HDR? I don't see any options to activate it in the game menus. I'm playing on a Samsung KS8000.

I haven't had a chance to read through this thread but I did, at a glance, see someone say that performance goes downhill after a certain part?

I have only put about 30 minutes in and have just met up with Mia. All seems okay for me so far on a 970, 16GB RAM, I5-3570k, game installed on SSD with latest nVidia drivers 378.49. No stutters and constant 60fps with little to no frame pacing issues.

I don't want any spoilers but I assume this good performance isn't going to last?

bongpig

Neo Member
IVe noticed lots of people talking about performance after the dinner scene. Theres one spot in particular thats pretty hardcore on performance; From where you were sat, go out the double door to the left and into the corridor. Walk a bit towards the bordered up window ( left after going through the doors ). Turn around and look down the corridor. That slammed my performance way more than any other spot so far. From this position, looking at the floor also highlights the awful artefacts from having reflections turned on.

From this position I found:-

- reflections on variable not only fixes the horrid artefacts, but also bumps my performance from around 50fps to 65fps.
- shadow quality dropped down a notch takes my framerates from 50fps to 75+!

Thats some serious improvement. If I make both the above changes, I get well over a 30fps boost. Luckily, the reflections setting alone was enough to take me above 60, but good to know ive got the shadow option in hand, if the game becomes more intensive later on.

4670k@4.4
1060 6gb
720p with scaling at 1.5
All other settings on max ( except reflections as mentioned above )

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I've noticed since the driver update that I can change from 4k at .7 internal resolution with interlaced graphics to 1 internal resolution with non-interlaced graphics and stay at 60 fps. I'm not sure if it's the driver update or maybe they patched the game but performance seems very stable.

I think maybe they patched the game because my HDR settings reset to off and I had to put it back. Other then that everything is golden now. Terrific game!

Tesser

Any rec's on settings for 1440p running a 980? I seem to manage around 75-80 FPS with main settings on HIGH and aberration/bloom/detailed shadows at MEDIUM. Frame-rate takes a massive knock to around 35FPS once I set things like shadows to HIGH. I know my terminology's a little shallow - away from my gaming PC at present - but anyone know the limit I can reach for 60FPS+ at that resolution?

The HDR settings are broken for me when playing this game on my PC. I try turning it off and it resets to on after restarting. I have tried setting the HDR setting in the ini config file to 0, but that switches back. Also the Steam overlay is completely washed out.

I haven't been keeping up on the PC performance thread for this game, so I don't know if the issue I'm having is completely resolved yet or not.

I haven't played this game apart from the first minute so if there's a fix, please let me know. Otherwise I'll get a refund. Does anyone know if it's worth getting on PS4 Pro? I have a 4K TV, but it's not HDR.

What are your specs?

I haven't heard of a fix, but you could try re-installing the latest driver.

GTX 1080
Running at 2560 x 1440 @ 144 Gsync
Installed latest driver with clean install yesterday.

Do you recommend reinstalling the driver once more?

EDIT
Just reinstalled the latest driver and nothing has changed.

The Steam overlay is still completely washed out, and the intro area outside looked quite washed out to me, but looking at videos on YouTube, I think it's meant to look like that.
When I went inside and going through the demo house a little bit, until I have to put the VHS in, it looked fine. (I looked again, and the YouTube videos look better and not washed out.)

I did change the in-game brightness setting to it's lowest, but the icon that you are supposed to not see is still visible for me.

Very unsure about how this game is meant to look.

Paragon

I have TAA enabled, Is it worth going with FXAA-TAA combo?
No, FXAA, or FXAA+TAA ruins the image quality. It makes the edges of everything look ragged instead of smooth.
Zoomed 2x:
taafxaaeraka.gif

Top Bottom