• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

tuxfool

Banned
After being pretty set on the x34a I got a deal on an PG348Q which came yesterday. I have really bad backlight bleed on the left handside of the panel. Especially at the top which stuck out from the get go on the windows loading screen on first boot up. My room pretty much is a batcave so this will not be helping matters but Im unsure if im keeping it. My previous monitor which was a 27 inch IPS panel didnt really show off backlight bleed more ips glow in the same condtions.
Do these screens tend to suffer from this? Is it just a panel lottery? The size of the this thing is going to make returning it a pain in the ass.

Not that I have seen, I have an LG IPS which has very little backlight bleed. Frankly at the prices that Asus charges for those G-Sync UWHD displays, I'd expect top of the line quality.

After being pretty set on the x34a I got a deal on an PG348Q which came yesterday. I have really bad backlight bleed on the left handside of the panel.
I have the same monitor and have never even noticed any backlight bleed. That said, I had the Dell U3415W before this which had terrible bleed. I went through 2 of those before giving up. I guess I got lucky this time.

Paragon

After being pretty set on the x34a I got a deal on an PG348Q which came yesterday. I have really bad backlight bleed on the left handside of the panel. Especially at the top which stuck out from the get go on the windows loading screen on first boot up. My room pretty much is a batcave so this will not be helping matters but Im unsure if im keeping it. My previous monitor which was a 27 inch IPS panel didnt really show off backlight bleed more ips glow in the same condtions.
Do these screens tend to suffer from this? Is it just a panel lottery? The size of the this thing is going to make returning it a pain in the ass.
I think that's just bad luck, but it seems to be the case with any display of any price these days, unless you're buying a professional monitor from a company like Eizo, NEC, or Sony that actually guarantee against it.
My PG348Q has minimal backlight bleed, but if I sit close to it, I do notice that the corners are a bit lighter than the center due to the sharper viewing angle because the panel is so wide. That's just LCD for you though.
"IPS Glow" is there, but is not something which bothers me at all. I think it's less of an issue due to it being an LG IPS panel rather than AUO AHVA.

MANGOD

Banned
Cheers for the replys. Ive taken some pics and sent them to the retailer I got it from, will see what they say. Ive tried reducing brightness and contrast but the top left is really bad.

PFD

To answer your question, yes these 34" IPS displays tend to suffer from this. Gotta play the panel lottery

Calmine

Don't know if mentioned, but I can confirm that Final Fantasy XV will support 21:9

Here's a screenshot from gamescom:

Looks good in motion.

so I just bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016GNX4SE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It is going to be my first time with 21:9

Couple of questions...

1. What happens with games that don't support that ratio? Will it just center a 16:9 image with black bars on the side? Alternatively, what if I want to do that on my own if a game is too graphics intensive or something...

2. I'm planning on building a new pc (gtx 1080ti), but I already ordered this monitor, so ill be getting it before that is done, should I set this up now with my current pc (gtx 780, i5) or not even bother? Is it complicated to set up a monitor like this with 21:9 and g-sync or is it mostly plug and play?

3. If I were to plug a ps4 into this thing, would that just work fine as well?

twisted89

so I just bought this:

Couple of questions...

1. What happens with games that don't support that ratio? Will it just center a 16:9 image with black bars on the side? Alternatively, what if I want to do that on my own if a game is too graphics intensive or something...

2. I'm planning on building a new pc (gtx 1080ti), but I already ordered this monitor, so ill be getting it before that is done, should I set this up now with my current pc (gtx 780, i5) or not even bother? Is it complicated to set up a monitor like this with 21:9 and g-sync or is it mostly plug and play?

To answer just your first question there are plenty of user made patches for games that don't support it natively, check out http://www.wsgf.org

so I just bought this:

Couple of questions...

2. It's plug-and-play.

3. Yes.

BmyIPY.jpg

Finally joined the ranks. Finally got a great deal on a curved Samsung (3440x1440) and couldn't resist. Had to go get a GTX 1080 (was on 2x670's prior), would have got a TI but will upgrade to an 1180 soon enough im sure. Its so much better than expected, I mostly got back into PC gaming due to Sea of Thieves playing so much better with KB&Mouse for PVP. Time to give Doom another go though!

Last edited:
Top Bottom