• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakamoto: Want more 2D Metroid? Buy Samus Returns

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I don't like it when developers say, "If you want something you want, buy this game you might not want."

I'd like more Metroid, but I don't care to game on the 3DS right now. So I won't buy it just because.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Show me one example.

just sift through forums during Brawl hype where people are shitposting about Krystal, those were mostly where I can remember them

even gamefaqs too in Star Fox Command forum back then

I don't like it when developers say, "If you want something you want, buy this game you might not want."

I'd like more Metroid, but I don't care to game on the 3DS right now. So I won't buy it just because.

good thing he's not telling that then!

Forward

uh, then don't get it.

"I don't want to buy a 3DS to play this game."

okay? No one is forcing you.

...I own a 3DS.

Well, a 3DS XL. And an N3DS. And an N3DS XL.

But I do not take kindly to being told, recursively, that if I do not re-purchase the worst of the 2D Metroids not named Other M, that I will be reaponsible for there being no more 2D Metroids. That is utter bollocks.

D'ya know who would actually be responsible for there being no more 2D Metroid games? Nintendo.

If new 2D Metroid games come about, and they do not suck gaping tooth wounds levels of bad/are not like Other M, then I will no doubt purchase them.

But I'll not be buying Samus Returns. And this is solely due to Sakamoto's quote in the OP.

Astral Dog

...I own a 3DS.

But I do not take kindly to being told, recursively, that if I do not re-purchase the worst of the 2D Metroids not named Other M, that I will be reaponsible for there being no more 2D Metroids. That is utter bollocks.

D'ya know who would actually be responsible for there being no more 2D Metroid games? Nintendo.
I don't understand they are just giving honest business reasons, would you prefer if they lied instead ?

If something does right they normally support it properly (eg Splatoon, Fire Emblem)

It makes sense to me this is on 3DS. We're in the twilight years of the 3DS, yes, but it's still getting ample support so it's not like it's right at death's door or anything. I'm cool with it.

And yeah, even considering Other M, Metroid's missteps are a drop in the bucket compared to Star Fox, even though I still enjoyed Assault and Zero.

(This may be off-topic, but as we're on the subject of Zero, I can't be the only one whose problems with it weren't necessarily the controls themselves but in that the game restricted its gameplay, aesthetics and sound around them? Combined with how familiar it feels, and it certainly falls a little flat).

Forward

I don't understand they are just giving honest business reasons, would you prefer if they lied instead ?

If something does right they normally support it properly (eg Splatoon, Fire Emblem)

Bullying is not an honest endeavor. He is being duplicitous as all fuck.

D.Lo

...I own a 3DS.

If new 2D Metroid games come about, and they do not suck gaping tooth wounds levels of bad/are not like Other M, then I will no doubt purchase them.

But I'll not be buying Samus Returns. And this is solely due to Sakamoto's quote in the OP.
Lol, yes it is the worst 2D Metroid because is is clearly exactly the same as the 1990 Game Boy game with no changes. Zero Mission was exactly same game as the NES original too.

Jebus this is nonsense.

LordKasual

Banned
Is there some kind of magic port button that i dont know exist here.

there was one for Twilight Princess for Wii

and Wind Waker HD for WiiU

....Breath of the Wild? Completely different, i know, it was only announced 4 years ago as an exclusive on a completely different console

The sales potential is dramatically lower on a console that just came out this year compared to one that has multiple times more units out there.

the same one that's selling so well that they can't seem to match stock demand?

Forward

Lol, yes it is the worst 2D Metroid because is is clearly exactly the same as the 1990 Game Boy game with no changes. Zero Mission was exactly same game as the NES original too.

Jebus this is nonsense.

Nah. Apologist rhetoric is nonsense. It IS Metroid 2 with a new coat of paint, and better controls. This is a fact. It is limited to its source material, and thus it IS hands down the worst Metroid not an Other.

D.Lo

Nah. Apologist rhetoric is nonsense. It IS Metroid 2 with a new coat of paint, and better controls. This is a fact. It is limited to its source material, and thus it IS hands down the worst Metroid not an Other.
Whatever you say. I'm sure you have played the final game all the way through and posted your full review somewhere?

Zero-ELEC

Banned
...I own a 3DS.

How do you know that Samus Returns the worst of the Metroids if you haven't played it?

D'ya know that if a company makes a product and noone buys it they are deincentivised from making more iterations of that product?
But a new 2D Metroid game is coming out! And from all previews so far it's good!

---------------
Seriously this topic is full of the most asinine statements I've seen in a while. And the RE fanbase gets a bad rap...

EDIT:

I yes, I remeber when I played Zero Mission and it had the exact same design as Metroid. Remember Chozodia in the original Metroid?

Also Remember in II: The Return of Samus when we got the Aeion abilities?

What are you even talking about?

Ridley327

....Breath of the Wild? Completely different, i know, it was only announced 4 years ago as an exclusive on a completely different console

I'm not sure you can really claim that there was a magic port button for Twilight Princess on Wii when it came about as a result of them delaying the Gamecube version a year in order to work on it. And while it sounded like that WWHD came together pretty quickly, they put in a lot of extra work on it in the short time they had to do it for all the new features and fixes that were implemented. There's nothing minimal about the effort it took to bring those games to their respective platforms.

casiopao

If Metroid sold as great Zelda, we wont be having this conversation.

Have you ever actually played Zero Mission and then gone back to the original Metroid? There just a smidge different.

Also calling this bullying is just ridiculous.

I feel like these statements just aren't news any more. "Want thing? Buy more things!" It's simple market logic and I don't see the value in them. I understand they give fans hope but it really should be obvious at this point.

KingV

I'm not going to buy it. I would have bought it if it were on Switch. I think there are plenty of folks like me, and Nintendo is missing out on sales by not offering on their main, current platform. Too bad, it's their loss.

It would probably sell a million copies on switch... just like most of Nintendos switch releases.

I might buy it on 3DS, because I do want to play it, but I would 100% have bought it day one on switch.

Forward

I feel like these statements just aren't news any more. "Want thing? Buy more things!" It's simple market logic and I don't see the value in them. I understand they give fans hope but it really should be obvious at this point.

Except it is actually, "Want thing X? Buy thing Y!"

That isn't just stupid, it is hilariously stupid. It is pure producer interest that flies in the face of consumer interest.

RagnarokX

Looks anything BUT good.

And no, I don't think it looks better on 3DS.

Well, yeah, it looks great.

And that's not something that you can have an opinion about. A blurry screenshot from a blurry youtube video with no stereoscopic 3D objectively looks worse than the actual game on 3DS. Even the stereoscopic 3D trailer you can download off the eshop looks significantly worse than the actual game will look due to compression, and that trailer looks great.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

"If more people buy Metroid then we'll make more Metroid."

BULLYING!

Jesus Fuck. I loved AM2R and I hope I love this too. Even if I have to borrow a New 3DS to unlock some fuckign DLC. But the first real Metroid in like 10 years? I'm buying it for myself and my nephews.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
He isn't bullying anybody he is talking like any Japanese person doing a interview of reserved optimisim, saying that he would love to make more 2d Metroids so he hopes this one sells well

It's a reference on how apparently Krystal ruined Star Fox. I don't like her too but people point that she's the cause of the problems apparently.

image.php

I for one cant believe you like Krystal

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I can back boss doggie up, he always expresses his dislike of krystal, I think she was a fine addition

I don't really care about Krystal that much but I will say, I never understood people who claimed that she "ruined" the series.

I mean she was fucking awful in Command, but to be fair, literally everyone was in that game, lol. In Adventure and Assault, she's just...there, really. Point is, as Boss Doggie said, Krystal didn't ruin Star Fox. What actually really killed Star Fox was Nintendo running it into the ground with all the forced gimmicks in every game after 64. If Nintendo bothered to make a true proper successor to SF64 that wasn't bogged down by said gimmicks, and it just so happened to feature Krystal in it, I don't think many people would actually care. At least I wouldn't. As long as the game was good.

But, I suppose the core of the issue is that Krystal technically shouldn't of even been a Star Fox character to begin with, considering Dinosaur Planet was originally gonna be its own thing before SF was shoved on it. In that sense, I suppose a lot of people see her as a symbol of went wrong with the series. It's kinda like how people still insist on calling Eggman "Robotnik" because, gosh darn it, that's how they remember it as kids, and because Sonic games started to go down the drain around the time they switched back over to Eggman in the west, so of course they see the name as a symbol of Sonic's decline. Which is kinda absurd all things considered.

Lunar15

As someone who was skeptical about Other M from the moment it was announced, I can safely say this game looks fantastic. I honestly can't see them screwing up what should be a fun metroidvania experience.

I just don't understand the weird animosity surrounding this game consisidering it's mostly the same people who were wailing about the franchise being dead. And even if this game doesn't sell like hotcakes, I assure you it's not the last 2D metroid ever.

As for the amiibo content, wouldn't it be more of a "protest" if you bought the game but not the amiibo? If they see the game sells well without the amiibo, I feel like that would be a hint that it's not necessary.

Forward

Sorry, not buying a game with content locked behind amiibo.

Come on, man - LET them kick dirt in your face! It isn't bullying, by any means... it is just withholding what you really want until such a time as you buy things that you do not want to buy. Stop defending your pockets with that Pro-Consumer Fu.

As someone who was skeptical about Other M from the moment it was announced, I can safely say this game looks fantastic. I honestly can't see them screwing up what should be a fun metroidvania experience.

I just don't understand the weird animosity surrounding this game consisidering it's mostly the same people who were wailing about the franchise being dead.

Honest opinion: I think some people just like to be really bitter about Nintendo. No matter what they do.

That being said, the amiibo situation is pretty fucking ridiculous and unexcusable, but I'm not gonna let that get in the way of what otherwise looks and sounds like a really solid game.

Feffe

Sorry, not buying a game with content locked behind amiibo.
In 2004 for $40 you got:
A reimagining of an old Metroid game
Easy Mode, Normal Mode, unlockable Hard Mode
Art gallery and Sound test
The original game

In 2017 for $40 you'll get:
A reimagining of an old Metroid game
Easy Mode, Normal Mode, unlockable Hard Mode
Art gallery and Sound test

Buying Amiibos you als get:
An ADDICTIONAL hard mode
ADDICTIONAL art gallery and sound

So you still the complete package you used to get in the good old days. Well, except for the original GB game.

So when's is reviews gonna happen (too soon to ask?)

I'm hoping for some more preview impressions.

24 days away before release. We wont see anything this far out. The only thing I am a bit pissed about is the Amiibo Metroid unlock for fusion mode. But I can let that go for a Metroid game.

Venfayth

I just don't understand the weird animosity surrounding this game consisidering it's mostly the same people who were wailing about the franchise being dead.

Here's how I see the weird animosity, for me at least:

I want a 2D Metroid game on the Switch without amiibo bullshit.

Nintendo is offering a 2D Metroid game on the 3DS with amiibo bullshit.

I'm glad Nintendo is making this game - but I wish they would do better. I'm not going to buy a game (from Nintendo) where they made two important business decisions that I hate. My obligation to tell Nintendo this shit sucks is greater than my obligation to buy games to support a franchise - that's not my fucking job, it's not anybodies job. If you believe it's your job to support a franchise then you are being swindled and Nintendo has less work to do to please you, they have less work to do to create good video games.

So you still the complete package you used to get in the good old days. Well, except for the original GB game.

The value proposition on amiibos is not that simple when you figure in scarcity. I have stated in these threads before that I think the best option is to tie amiibos to DLC that is purchasable online in addition to being unlocked by the amiibos.

Snaku

Banned
I want to buy your new game, so how about releasing it on your new fucking console you sold me five months ago?

Lunar15

Here's how I see the weird animosity, for me at least:

I want a 2D Metroid game on the Switch without amiibo bullshit.

Nintendo is offering a 2D Metroid game on the 3DS with amiibo bullshit.

I'm glad Nintendo is making this game - but I wish they would do better. I'm not going to buy a game (from Nintendo) where they made two important business decisions that I hate. My obligation to tell Nintendo this shit sucks is greater than my obligation to buy games to support a franchise - that's not my fucking job, it's not anybodies job. If you believe it's your job to support a franchise then you are being swindled and Nintendo has less work to do to please you, they have less work to do to create good video games.

I don't care if people buy the game or not. The franchise isn't dead either way. It's just funny to me to see people go out of their way to not play a game they'd likely enjoy.

People are making a big deal out of things that, in this case, aren't that big of a deal and are easily avoided. I'm no fan of amiibos, I've never bought one in my life and I think they're awful for DLC, but in not buying them, I make my case while still purchasing what looks like a fine game.

As for it being on the 3DS, that's just where it is. It's hardly a point deserving of such ire.

Somebody just equated the game being on 3DS means you're being swindled. Some of these posts in here I tell ya...the hate for 3DS is ridiculous.

D.Lo

The value proposition on amiibos is not that simple when you figure in scarcity. I have stated in these threads before that I think the best option is to tie amiibos to DLC that is purchasable online in addition to being unlocked by the amiibos.
If you desperately care that much for a bit of easter egg bonus content and the Amiibo are genuinely not available, you know dodgy Chinese sellers will have NFC cards for less than $1 with worldwide delivery.

I don't care if people buy the game or not. The franchise isn't dead either way. It's just funny to me to see people go out of their way to not play a game they'd likely enjoy.
Yep lol. Like I can see a perspective if you didn't have a 3DS and recently got a Switch. But those that have one and 'refuse to play on that piece of shit' etc, lol.

Top Bottom