• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakamoto: Want more 2D Metroid? Buy Samus Returns

Mory Dunz

Nah. I didn't have to buy a PS3 to play new games after PS4 was out. Why should I have to go buy hardware that is garbage in 2017 just to play a new game from Nintendo? I don't want to go backwards, and play new games on old, obsolete hardware with fugly graphics. If I have to do that, what's the point of upgrading? Nintendo should get with the times, and do more cross-gen releases like BOTW. Also, for the folks saying it's difficult to port 3DS games to HD platforms... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XVf2KZ2vljs

uh, then don't get it.

"I don't want to buy a 3DS to play this game."

okay? No one is forcing you.

VDenter

Banned
xqkhiQo.jpg

Nintendo did a very good job of undermining the sales by releasing this game this late in the 3DS lifespan. I was clamoring for a 2D Metroid on the 3DS five years ago. Do not even start the narrative that the fans or AM2R are somehow to blame for Metroids horrible mismanagement. It is squarely on Nintendo and nobody else. Also a bit to early to jump to the conclusion that this remake will be better than AM2R.

kc44135

uh, then don't get it.

"I don't want to buy a 3DS to play this game."

okay? No one is forcing you.

I'm not going to buy it. I would have bought it if it were on Switch. I think there are plenty of folks like me, and Nintendo is missing out on sales by not offering on their main, current platform. Too bad, it's their loss.

Toxi

Banned
Sounds like he pulled an iwata and saved the project.
Yep.

Though this part of the article seems wrong.
Sakamoto has since become legendary in the community, moving on to work on nearly every Metroid game that has seen release. The only game that he hasn’t worked on was Metroid II: Return of Samus, which will soon retell in Nintendo 3DS exclusive, Metroid: Samus Returns.

I don't remember him being involved with Federation Force in any capacity, for example.

Toxi

Banned
Thats why Nintendo should just burried Metroid when they had the chance. It is not worth it, trying to please those fickle fanbase.
I'm sure Nintendo makes games just to please fans and not because they project those games will make money./s

Seriously,
I think Sakamoto wasn't involved with any Prime games outside of a Special Thanks
I remembered something about him advising for the first Prime, but I might be wrong.

13ruce

Banned
Nintendo did a very good job of undermining the sales by releasing this game this late in the 3DS lifespan. I was clamoring for a 2D Metroid on the 3DS five years ago. Do not even start the narrative that the fans or AM2R are somehow to blame for Metroids horrible mismanagement. It is squarely on Nintendo and nobody else. Also a bit to early to jump to the conclusion that this remake will be better than AM2R.

If the gameplay shown for Samus Returns is like that in the whole game then it already is better and i played AM2R alot.

It just needs a couple of new sections or a new sequence in the game like Zero Mission to top it imo.

But ultimately we will see when the game is out in September how it fares against AM2R truly.

kc44135

But is that their fault? They weren't trying to make Castlevania games. Konami wanted to reboot the franchise and Konami told Mercury Steam that they were making a new IP at first. They followed the direction Konami wanted.

This situation is different. Nintendo is directing them to make something faithful and it looks excellent so far.

Retro couldn't even make a game worth releasing without Tanabe and Miyamoto taking hands-on roles with them and that got us Prime.

Perhaps not (although I did hear horror stories about LOS 2's development). Regardless, the Lords of Shadow series was developed by Mercury Steam, and they weren't great, so yeah, not a great track record at all. Developers have to have some accountability for the products they create, regardless of the circumstances, no?

Makonero

Perhaps not (although I did hear horror stories about LOS 2's development). Regardless, the Lords of Shadow series was developed by Mercury Steam, and they weren't great, so yeah, not a great track record at all. Developers have to have some accountability for the products they create, regardless of the circumstances, no?

So Next Level Games is a shitty developer then for their third party offerings?

Nintendo can (and often does) bring out the best in smaller developers. I'm open minded enough to see how this goes. Plus, it's 2D Metroid, which is something I've been clamoring for since I finished Zero Mission.

Toxi

Banned
If you're dissuaded by Mercury Steam's shitty track record, wait for reviews.

Actually, wait for reviews regardless.

kc44135

So Next Level Games is a shitty developer then for their third party offerings?

Nintendo can (and often does) bring out the best in smaller developers. I'm open minded enough to see how this goes. Plus, it's 2D Metroid, which is something I've been clamoring for since I finished Zero Mission.

No. Mercury Steam just hasn't proven themselves yet, IMO. Netflix: Samus Returns could be great in spite of them, or because of them, IDK.

Eolz

Ha, I meant that I don't own a 3DS but I have (foolishly) ordered the CE. As such (/s) I feel my copy should count double at least.

I can understand that.
I bought the CE of Drakengard 3 despite having no PS3 at the time.

Cerium

If people don't buy Metroid, they have no reason to make Metroid.

VDenter

Banned
If people don't buy Metroid, they have no reason to make Metroid.

Fair enough but if people don't want to buy a game there is usually a very good reason for that. In this case if the game fails for whatever reason it wont be because the fans are ungrateful or Nintendo did nothing wrong. If the title bombs that will be entirely Nintendo's fault. They are the ones responsible for managing and mismanaging the I.P.

Ridley327

Fair enough but if people don't want to buy a game there is usually a very good reason for that. In this case if the game fails for whatever reason it wont be because the fans are ungrateful or Nintendo did nothing wrong. If the title bombs that will be entirely Nintendo's fault. They are the ones responsible for managing and mismanaging the I.P.

There is the possibility that people just aren't that interested in Metroid at all to consider, regardless of the work Nintendo puts in. Even when they were treating it as royalty throughout the 2000s, it wasn't exactly making other big series quake in their boots whenever it dropped a new entry.

RagnarokX

The last time they made a Metroid game like this it tanked, and that was a great game. Can't blame Nintendo for being reticent to try again.

AM2R isn't to blame, but many fans act like Nintendo stole the idea from AM2R and/or came to the immediate conclusion that AM2R is a superior game. While it's to early to declare either way, AM2R is a good but overrated game below the standards of games like Super, Zero Mission, and Fusion.

Also, based on what we've seen so far, quite a lot more effort is being put into this game. For example:

twJ7rh4.png

The maps are far more expanded and detailed than AM2R's. Area 4 is a huge difference. And the maps from Samus Returns are incomplete and will be even bigger when completed.

yYCCtY6.jpg

AM2R just recreates this room, while Samus Returns adds world-building details such as the chozo statue that implies the spider ball upgrade once sat on it but fell off and rolled into crevice where you find it.

https://gfycat.com/WellgroomedWarlikeGrayling
AM2R ruins this scene, Samus Returns does it right.

Things are looking good.

Direction is extremely important. The most talented team in the world can turn out shit if they are directed to or not given the proper direction. What Mercury Steam has shown is that they are competent developers who are have some experience making games similar to this type, and with Nintendo directing them they can turn out something great.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The Switch started development more than I'm sure. It would be great to just have total coverage for their games...that was the point of having hybrid. No more having to decide, one game for home and away. I disagree with them keeping 3DS line separate, it's getting games like Fire Emblem and Metroid while the Switch is getting some mediocre indie titles and a monthly bigger release.

I hope it changes sooner than later. Without Virtual Console, the eShop is very empty.

This started out as a pitch by mercury stream to work on the 3DS version after they were denied to also work on a HD version, switch obviously was not in the plans at the time, they probably havent even been personally shown a design of the switch at the time, and they were still very clearly releasing 3DS games at the time with the 3DS even to this day having pretty respectable sales.

Toxi

Banned
There is the possibility that people just aren't that interested in Metroid at all to consider. Even when they were treating it as royalty through the 2000s, it wasn't exactly making other big series quake in their boots whenever it dropped a new entry.
They treated Metroid like royalty because both Prime and Fusion sold well. It's like how Nintendo treated Fire Emblem post-Awakening, despite it being nowhere near the highest selling game on the 3DS.

The question is if it's possible to catch those sales again.

Late in the cycle is usually an excellent time to release a game since the highest number of people own the system. GTA V and The Last of Us were released on PS3 in the same year as PS4 launched and were huge critical and sales successes, DQXI is doing similar in Japan at the moment on 3DS. I don't think this is a valid excuse in the eventuality that Metroid fails.

Eolz

I kind of agree and disagree with you.
IP was badly managed (even if Nintendo always wanted to expand its audience), but there's nothing indicating so far that this is worth skipping.
This is a remake of Metroid 2 that fans wanted since a long time, this is 2D gameplay, this hasn't a terrible artstyle turning people off from the start (Federation Force would have gotten a way better reception without the chibi, look at Prime Hunters, or ODST for Halo), and it isn't looking progressively worse or worrying after reveal (like Other M).

Even with a fantastic fan remake available out there, Nintendo isn't doing weird stuff with it.
There's still a wide 3DS userbase, and I doubt they are expecting a ton of sales for a series that was always underwhelming on that side, and for a remake.
They will definitely expect a lot from Prime 4 though, especially after the fan reactions of the announcement, and previous Prime sales numbers...

Ridley327

They treated Metroid like royalty because both Prime and Fusion sold well. It's like how they treat Fire Emblem post-Awakening.

The question is if it's possible to catch those sales again.

I hate being pessimistic about it, but I feel like that the Fusion/Prime combo is going to be really tough to top, since they were not only able to capitalize on the whole "it's been eight years!" hype that got people interested, but Prime was released at an especially good time as it was able to ride the wave of interest that Halo was responsible for in getting console players to embrace FPSs more than they had in the past. And the whole "holy shit, did you see the reviews this thing got?!?" aspect didn't hurt, either. The former has some merit even now, but even Halo ain't Halo these days.

kc44135

Late in the cycle is usually an excellent time to release a game since the highest number of people own the system. GTA V and The Last of Us were released on PS3 in the same year as PS4 launched and were huge critical and sales successes, DQXI is doing similar in Japan at the moment on 3DS. I don't think this is a valid excuse in the eventuality that Metroid fails.

Not the same circumstances. Both Last of Us and GTA V were released before PS4 launched, and we're also brought to that system in short order.

Glowsquid

The original Metroid was initially developed by new Nintendo employees Hiroji Kiyotake (also the character designer of Samus and creator of Wario) and Hirofumi Matsuoka (with the programming done by Intelligent Systems) who were told by management to make "a sci-fi shooting game". The game was originally conceived as a sci-fi run & gun shooter called "Space Hunter", but the game wasn't going well and the rest of the Nintendo R&D1 department was called to salvage the project. It was Yoshio's Sakamoto idea to make the game non-linear and focused on exploration.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The original Metroid was initially developed by new Nintendo employees Hiroji Kiyotake (also the character designer of Samus and creator of Wario) and Hirofumi Matsuoka (with the programming done by Intelligent Systems) who were told by management to make "a sci-fi shooting game". The game was originally conceived as a sci-fi run & gun shooter called "Space Hunter", but the game wasn't going well and the rest of the Nintendo R&D1 department was called to salvage the project. It was Yoshio's Sakamoto idea to make the game non-linear and focused on exploration.

Nice

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So yeah if the sales are low are people gonna bitch again like those Star Foz idiota blaming Krystal even though she wasn't in Zero?

LordKasual

Banned
Buy Samus Returns?

Sure, as soon as you release it on something that's not a fucking 3DS

I bought a Switch now, you could at least port it, it has a touch screen

why is it not on Switch

it just fucking came out

yuoke

Banned
Buy Samus Returns?

Sure, as soon as you release it on something that's not a fucking 3DS

I bought a Switch now, you could at least port it, it has a touch screen

why is it not on Switch

it just fucking came out

Uh...maybe because they started making this like 2 years ago when switch was just the nx that no one knew anything about.

Sevyne

Ya know, I remember leaving several gaming forums and comments sections of gaming websites years ago, and just sticking to Gaf. A lot of y'all are just as miserable of people as the rest though. It's kind of pathetic reading through a lot of this stuff really.

Gaming is supposed to be fun. Why has it become so terrible to just enjoy a fun game? Why is it so hard to to move on to something else if it isn't fun? It's like a rarity to enter a thread and it not turn into a complete shitfest now.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I sure hope nobody is convinced Star Fox Zero sold poorly because nobody wanted Star Fox.

It's a reference on how apparently Krystal ruined Star Fox. I don't like her too but people point that she's the cause of the problems apparently.

Ya know, I remember leaving several gaming forums and comments sections of gaming websites years ago, and just sticking to Gaf. A lot of y'all are just as miserable of people as the rest though. It's kind of pathetic reading through a lot of this stuff really.

Gaming is supposed to be fun. Why has it become so terrible to just enjoy a fun game? Why is it so hard to to move on to something else if it isn't fun? It's like a rarity to enter a thread and it not turn into a complete shitfest now.

Reminds me of that Courage gif where a baby Muriel keeps on crying about the "thing" until finally after getting the perfect item, says "she doesn't want it".

KingBroly

Banned
Now Star Fox, there's an IP that has a legitimate claim to being mismanaged for years and years.

Super Metroid > Nothing for 8 years > Releasing 2 Metroid games on the same day > Oversaturate the brand for 8 years then finish it off with the worst game in series history by a mile, then release a shitty looking spin-off 6 years later hoping everyone will love it, but it tanks badly.

And that's not even getting into the finer details of why each game along the way failed in one fashion or another

It's a reference on how apparently Krystal ruined Star Fox. I don't like her too but people point that she's the cause of the problems apparently.
Nobody blamed Krystal for Zero, what the heck are you talking about?
Super Metroid > Nothing for 8 years > Releasing 2 Metroid games on the same day > Oversaturate the brand for 8 years then finish it off with the worst game in series history by a mile, then release a shitty looking spin-off 6 years later hoping everyone will love it, but it tanks badly.

And that's not even getting into the finer details of why each game along the way failed in one fashion or another
Metroid's been relatively poorly handled lately but at the very least most of the titles released after Super were highly rated games that people actually wanted, which you can't say at all for StarFox post 64 outside of a single remake.

StarFox is the king of mishandled Nintendo franchises. A comedy of errors, one false step after the other.

Metroid doesn't come nearly as close.

I don't why you spout nonsense when it comes to Metroid.

Toxi

Banned
Now Star Fox, there's an IP that has a legitimate claim to being mismanaged for years and years.
To be fair, Star Fox Zero is basically the Other M of Star Fox. A new high budget game in a long-running series, spearheaded by a legendary Nintendo personality and developed by a lauded third party action game developer, is a financial failure marred by a bizarre and unwieldy control scheme nobody asked for. It's kinda comical how history repeated itself there.

But Star Fox Zero is just the latest in the comedy of errors that is Star Fox, which began with Nintendo's bizarre decision not to release Star Fox 2.

Other M is a spectacular misfire. Star Fox has been almost nothing but spectacular misfires.

Feffe

People here are forgetting that Zero Mission, Prime 2 and Prime 3 were all excellent games which underperformed. And in Prime case were pretty expensive to develope.

It's not like Nintendo doesn't care. Other M tried to give the series more mass-appeal and failed miserably. But it tried.

Sales-wise Metroid is a problematic series for Nintendo. So stop looking for dumb excuses and buy Samus Returns.

Demoli

Oversaturize? In those 8 years you got Prime 2, 3 and Zero mission, all superb games. A pinball spin off and a DS experiment arent big offenders either.

Fact is, despite its great quality, zero mission bombed. If Samus Returns bombs too, theres no hope for 2D metroid anymore and i cant fault nintendo for it, specially if it also turns a great game

To be fair, Star Fox Zero is basically the Other M of Star Fox. A new high budget game in a long-running series, spearheaded by a legendary Nintendo personality and developed by a lauded third party action game developer, is a financial failure marred by a bizarre and unwieldy control scheme nobody asked for. It's kinda comical how history repeated itself there.

But Star Fox Zero is just the latest in the comedy of errors that is Star Fox, which began with Nintendo's bizarre decision not to release Star Fox 2.

I'm not sure if "high budget" is how I'd describe Star Fox Zero.

The game looks graphically weak even for a Wii U game.

Ridley327

The problem is that there's a good argument that every game after Star Fox 64 is the Other M of the series:

"Let's slap on the IP to an unrelated adventure game that does nothing with the inherent value of the IP outside of some rote shooting stage!"
"Let's get the highly acclaimed developers of the Ace Combat series to make a Star Fox game that... largely take place on the ground."
"Let's get some of the original developers of the first game to work on a new installment... that has no rail shooting stages and has an utterly bizarre visual novel aspect that even furries found weird."
"Let's go back to the roots of the series... and make it playable only for an octopus."

Toxi

Banned
The problem is that there's a good argument that every game after Star Fox 64 is the Other M of the series:

"Let's slap on the IP to an unrelated adventure game that does nothing with the inherent value of the IP outside of some rote shooting stage!"
"Let's get the highly acclaimed developers of the Ace Combat series to make a Star Fox game that... largely take place on the ground."
"Let's get some of the original developers of the first game to work on a new installment... that has no rail shooting stages and has an utterly bizarre visual novel aspect that even furries found weird."
"Let's go back to the roots of the series... and make it playable only for an octopus."
Holy shit I'm dying

Top Bottom