• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Refused To Let Keiji Inafune To Complete Mega Man Legends 3

gconsole

Cant really blame capcom for this. Who the fuck in the right mind give their game to someone who made a huge scene when leaving the company? And now trying to beg for it using media and fan as the pressure?

If u own the business and someone slap u in tje gace saying he cannot work with u anymore. With whatever reason. Would u give him your work and money again after he left? Even kamiya never beg for dmc or mikami beg for RE. Those dude just keep create the new game and show what they capable of.

Inafune is just the huge loser in my eye after this news.

His games have been the only thing from Capcom I cared for this gen. I feel like a weirdo too because I loved Lost Planet 2, the game many seem to blame for the start of these problems. LP2 felt so Mega Man to me, as did LP1, and I wanted the series to continue pretty bad. Strangely, as a huge Mega Man fan I never cared for the Legends series, or the Battle Network series for that matter, but I wanted the Mega Man universe to live on so I had hoped Legends fans would get their game out.

The way I read his departure was that he told them he was quitting but offered to finish his projects as an outsourced developer, and I don't see anything odd about that. It was a gracious gesture, but I'm also not surprised Capcom didn't bite, and I figure he wasn't either. I think their relationship must have been fairly soured by this point, and I don't think anyone knows enough about these events that we can start interpreting them as mean/unfair from either side.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i feel like the prevailing zeitgeist of video games lately is just bitterness and negativity. i don't know. 9 out of 10 topics of discussion seem like just bad bad news. it's gotten really exhausting mentally.

IrishNinja

charlequin said:
It's not as common in the game industry for designers/developers specifically (though it's still very common for composers and artists) but even then it's not unheard of -- Matsuno even got fired from Square-Enix and they still brought him back as a freelancer to work on Tactics Ogre PSP.

damn. as an aside: why was he fired again?

Swordian said:
This was said last year, long before Legends 3 was canceled: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411847

I came in here to post this. This is not news, people.

Cheesemeister said:
KI: That's absolutely right. So I told Capcom that I'm leaving to start my own company, while still contracting with them, continuing with titles already underway and following through with their plans. If that was acceptable, I wouldn't be able to work with any other publishers, but I'd have been able to finish what I'd started. However, that wasn't possible. I was told, "That won't be necessary."

Cheesemeister said:
KI: Looking at the timing, the team members, and the planning done, Rockman Dash 3 is finally on its way. I really didn't want to quit right now... But I can't do it anymore. My will to continue has run out. That's why I had to leave Capcom and strengthen my resolve, as I wanted to help finish working on it from the outside but was unable to.

340x.png

Cutting to the chase.

PS: its now on kotaku

vg260

gconsole said:
Cant really blame capcom for this. Who the fuck in the right mind give their game to someone who made a huge scene when leaving the company?

Yup. People on the Capcom hate wagon over this need to stop and think about this logically.

0 HP

Why doesn't he just make it at his own company and call it something else? It's not like he'd be making Mega Man games at his new company anyway

2&2 said:
Yup. People on the Capcom hate wagon over this need to stop and think about this logically.
What's illogical about being upset that the demo/prototype seemed to be ready and it's probably never going to come out? What's illogical about being angry about being blamed by someone on Capcom's payroll for the cancellation of the game when the original understanding was that the performance of the prototype would be the test?

Those things have nothing to do with Inafune.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
0 HP said:
Why doesn't he just make it at his own company and call it something else? It's not like he'd be making Mega Man games at his new company anyway
It wouldn't be the same game even if that were to happen- there's no substitute for the original.

wwm0nkey

2&2 said:
Most of us are, not saying some fault doesn't fall on Keiji but Capcom canned the game for no reason

-Had a finished prototype and a team willing to work on the game
-Prototype was up to 3 hours long with 10 missions
-The prototype was actually fun
-Didn't even bother to release it to gauge interest in the series.

Now lets say if they released the Prototype and then canned the game because it sold like shit, that would be fine, but the way Capcom handled things makes it seem like they are just bitter at Keiji.

Zen

Banned
And honestly, that's probably what it is; he apparently wasn't popular with the rest of the executives, and the patterns are pretty clear.

gconsole said:
Cant really blame capcom for this. Who the fuck in the right mind give their game to someone who made a huge scene when leaving the company? And now trying to beg for it using media and fan as the pressure?

If u own the business and someone slap u in tje gace saying he cannot work with u anymore. With whatever reason. Would u give him your work and money again after he left? Even kamiya never beg for dmc or mikami beg for RE. Those dude just keep create the new game and show what they capable of.

Given what we now, he most likely made this offer to them before it became known that he was leaving the company.

2&2 said:

Except he most likely made this offer before leaving the company, and if you look at things logically,there's no reason to think how you do.

wwm0nkey said:
Most of us are, not saying some fault doesn't fall on Keiji but Capcom canned the game for no reason

-Had a finished prototype and a team willing to work on the game
-Prototype was up to 3 hours long with 10 missions
-The prototype was actually fun
-Didn't even bother to release it to gauge interest in the series.

Now lets say if they released the Prototype and then canned the game because it sold like shit, that would be fine, but the way Capcom handled things makes it seem like they are just bitter at Keiji.

JP game corporation can be ruthless.

Zen

Banned
Gamebaron said:
JP game corporation can be ruthless.

You'd figure with their brain dead pursuit of finances, that they'd have at least released the prototype for charge on the estore.

Niblet

OP needs to be updated to show that this quote is actually an old one and he made this pitch (and was rejected) by Capcom before he publicly announced his departure.

Just so we can stop the comments like:

gconsole said:

Clearly quite a few posters here are oblivious to the order of events.

Zen said:
You'd figure with their brain dead pursuit of finances, that they'd have at least released the prototype for charge on the estore.

That would have been smart of Capcom, but they didn't. And we will never know why...

Alrus

If they believed the prototype was actually worthy of a release, why wouldn't they have released it on the e-shop as planned? Maybe the game was just really poor, we'll never know though :/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Alrus said:
If they believed the prototype was actually worthy of a release, why wouldn't they have released it on the e-shop as planned? Maybe the game was just really poor, we'll never know though :/

a total of 1 person not at capcom played the game, and he liked it :p

slade

God, this guy's whining knows no end. Current Capcom is in the position it is in because of him. The DmC descision was made under his watch and Capcom has had little choice but to roll with it.

Alrus

Stumpokapow said:
a total of 1 person not at capcom played the game, and he liked it :p

That's not really conclusive... Oh well, I just find it weird that a company would be throwing away a supposedly fine prototype that would have made them some kind of money (publishing on the e-shop mustn't be too expensive...) just because.

Boney

Banned
Alrus said:
That's not really conclusive... Oh well, I just find it weird that a company would be throwing away a supposedly fine prototype that would have made them some kind of money (publishing on the e-shop mustn't be too expensive...) just because.
Causes confusion and bad pr

slade said:
God, this guy's whining knows no end. Current Capcom is in the position it is in because of him. The DmC descision was made under his watch and Capcom has had little choice but to roll with it.

maybe the DmC decision was his big "fuck you" to capcom lol

"yeah, get ninja theory..."

"how are they?"

"that was just a jo--oh, they're awesome."

Top Bottom