• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Refused To Let Keiji Inafune To Complete Mega Man Legends 3

qq more

Cow Mengde said:
Inafune was probably going to outsource this to Ninja Theory anyway.
Except he actually stick with the people who worked on the Mega Man games to handle MML3 before it was cancelled.

wFaaq.jpg

the whole thing is a damn shame, but I understand where capcom are coming from a business sense. Hell, I understand all their crappy decisions this gen from a business sense, even if I dont like them.

As for Inafune, honestly I can't feel sorry for him. He got bitten by the dragon he himself once rode.

Ill never forget this quote from an interview he game recently:-

but I can say this: for a game that I developed or had a clear concept of, to watch that game, to watch that concept be twisted and changed to the point that it no longer feels what that original game was supposed to symbolize, that's kind of sad because that's not the vision, that's not what I had in mind for that series. To have it be changed so drastically or radically, if that ever does happen to one of the franchises I've created that would be very disappointing.

[url]Source[/URL]

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander

If Devil may cry needed to be "completely different" I don't see why he should be upset that MML is cancelled because it wasn't seen to be profitable. Its 2 sides of the same profit-first minded coin.

Its a shame the fans got caught up in the middle, but I have no sympathy for that mans sentiments.

ShockingAlberto said:
I am not entirely sure I can blame Capcom for this one

"I quit your company publicly, but if you keep paying me money, I will keep making games that you have absolutely no confidence will sell" isn't the best elevator pitch I have ever heard.

That's what I think, I'm not sure Capcom is to blame here.

Carlisle

So Inafune told Capcom he was going to leave and form his own company and that Capcom would have to hire him on a contract to finish MML3? And Capcom said no?

I dunno... sounds like both parties kinda share the blame for this game getting canned. And we don't know enough info to start crucifying anyone.

Carlisle said:
So Inafune told Capcom he was going to leave and form his own company and that Capcom would have to hire him on a contract to finish MML3? And Capcom said no?

I dunno... sounds like both parties kinda share the blame for this game getting canned. And we don't know enough info to start crucifying anyone.
I don't think we can lay any blame for the Prototype not being released on Inafune. That's all Capcom.

[Nintex]

This would be like Ken Lobb knocking on Nintendo's door to save Killer Instinct 3.

You threw Capcom under the bus Inafune and then you discovered that being 'Keiji Inafune' wasn't as hot and popular as you thought it was.

inky

"I'm going to quit your shit company but when I'm gone you should still give me money to keep doing a project you probably don't want me to do now."

I should tell my boss that.

I dunno. I'm upset about Capcom cancelling Legends 3, but it really sounds like Inafune wanted to have his cake and eat it too. No one is particularly looking guilt free in this case.

wwm0nkey

Open Source said:
He's the one who quit Capcom. Why are people blaming Capcom for this?
Besides him quitting they had the prototype all ready to go and they canned it, blamed the fans and never even bothered trying to gauge interest by releasing the prototype.

I get them being bitter at him, but they had a whole team willing to work on it and again they could have at least released the prototype.

Luigi87

I've often wondered if Capcom held grudges against departing employees, I think this solidifies it.

Inafune leaves Capcom, no more Legends 3.

Ben Judd leaves Capcom, no more Ace Attorney for the West.

vg260

Knux-Future said:
I can't defend this one.

Fuck you Capcom

He quits the company buts still wants to develop their product? Seems like not letting him do that is totally defensible from a business standpoint. Unless I'm missing something, not sure why people are crying foul over this.

Carlisle said:

Exactly. I'm thinking a lot of fans here don't understand real-world business.

Instro

wwm0nkey said:
Besides him quitting they had the prototype all ready to go and they canned it, blamed the fans and never even bothered trying to gauge interest by releasing the prototype.

I get them being bitter at him, but they had a whole team willing to work on it and again they could have at least released the prototype.
While releasing the prototype might have quelled some anger in the short term, I'm certain people would be way more pissed off if they had bought the prototype only for the game to get canned down the road. Canning the game, is not as bad as fucking people out of some money if you already know you're not going to complete the game. Either way the lack of interest from consumers was going to kill the game once Inafune left. This was never going to be a money maker for Capcom, and the game served an incredibly small fanbase, so I'm not surprised no one else in the company had any interest in continuing work on the game. If Inafune wanted it made he should have stayed at the company until it was finished, and then quit.

Kayo-kun

Capcome have gone from one (if not the) favorite company I had, to the most hated one in a few years. Stay classy Capcom.

Goon Boon

Banned
All Capcom had to do was release the prototype - If it did bad they'd have an excuse to not do legends 3, if it did good they'd have made money. They decided to not release the finished prototype, so they deserve the shit they are getting.

vg260

So put yourself in Capcom's shoes. Your employee quits to form his own company and now wants you to pay him to work on your project. I highly doubt many of those cursing Capcom here would act much differently.

Goon Boon said:
All Capcom had to do was release the prototype - If it did bad they'd have an excuse to not do legends 3, if it did good they'd have made money. They decided to not release the finished prototype, so they deserve the shit they are getting.
Certainly it would have been egg in someone's face if the game went on to do well. It was a lose-lose proposition for someone (or someones) at Capcom who Inafune had a falling out with.

Laguna

Banned
2&2 said:
Unless I'm missing something, not sure why people are crying foul over this.

Some were genuily interested in MML3 but there are also some bitter fans who don´t care about MML3 but see this thread as an excuse to complain about Capcom for their most recent moves (MH an Revelation).

Briarios

Capcom is like that psycho ex you just can't quit. Or crystal meth.

"Capcom! I hate you! When can I buy more of your stuff?"

Valnen

Boney said:
The guy knows his games are popular. He's leaving with the intent to form his own company. Put two and two together.

He knows his games will sell. He wants the profit for himself. He's not "tired" or any other lame excuse.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
First: Fuck you, Capcom.
Second: It sounded like Inafune wanted to have things his way too. Publicly quits, but still wants to get paid to make games for them...

Perhaps both parties are at fault.

jett said:
Where is this from?

jett

D-Member
Dark Schala said:
First: Fuck you, Capcom.
Second: It sounded like Inafune wanted to have things his way too. Publicly quits, but still wants to get paid to make games for them...

Perhaps both parties are at fault.

Where is this from?

i think it's from the macgruber movie

Sounds reasonable on Capcom's side. Inafune made a huge scene while leaving Capcom. Why would they care to work with him anymore after that?

Beth Cyra

Valnen said:
The guy knows his games are popular. He's leaving with the intent to form his own company. Put two and two together.

He knows his games will sell. He wants the profit for himself. He's not "tired" or any other lame excuse.
I think that is putting alot of stock in Inafune.

As it is he's had Dead Rising, Lost Planet and some Mega Man stuff. Outside of that he is the one who pushed for the Capcom Western stuff for along time that a good amount failed.

Also Rock hasn't been doing that great outside of a few select Battlenetwork games.

So I really think just thinking his stuff is going to sell could bite him in the ass.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is months old. Japanese interview with Inafune about May/June-ish had this quote.

Top Bottom