• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Nyoro SF

Bruh your playthrough post inspired me to pick up Zero EVO
don't have my psp with me AND my kanji is weak so the full voiced is a godsend.

Im on Chapter 2 now within 15~20 hours of gameplay thanks to the sidequestin. I can get a good-decent understanding of whats going on and the characterization of everyone. I like the small cast of party members, really feel connection to the group and helps everyone shine so far. Crossbell is a nice area. The OST is ok but I do want a mod for the OG tracks to be put in.

How many chapters do I got left tho¿

Chapter # spoilers
----3 left----

But hey given the number of posts in this thread stating so, I think I may be the only person who played the PSP version, everyone went EVO haha. So rock those voices.

Maybe in the far future I'll do a play of the EVO versions.

Young Magus

Chapter # spoilers
----3 left----

But hey given the number of posts in this thread stating so, I think I may be the only person who played the PSP version, everyone went EVO haha. So rock those voices.

Maybe in the far future I'll do a play of the EVO versions.

Did you do all the sidequests or just zipped to the main story?

Nyoro SF

Did you do all the sidequests or just zipped to the main story?

I (tried) to do all the sidequests. However I missed one in chapter 2. :/

I will take this chance to mention that I am the king of Crossbell Poker though. In SC the poker game was fairly normal, but Crossbell Poker is three-card draw with a shared flop and no turn or river, and no advantage by number when it comes to hands (so all pairs are equal). I have no idea why Falcom made such a customized poker game but it is funny. Won a shit ton of medals. Only a few good prizes though.

Nyoro SF

Ao no Kiseki Prologue

I finished this prologue last night, watched the intro, put it down, and decided to wait for 3rd's release this Spring.

My god.

Guess I'll play Persona 5 to tide the wait.

SephLuis

Ao no Kiseki Prologue

I finished this prologue last night, watched the intro, put it down, and decided to wait for 3rd's release this Spring.

My god.

Guess I'll play Persona 5 to tide the wait.

But why ?

I mean, most of the connections between the 3rd and the Crossbell arc I remember, mostly, being in Zero. Go through Ao, don't wait. I also want to read more impressions from everyone else that can play those two games =)

Nyoro SF

But why ?

I mean, most of the connections between the 3rd and the Crossbell arc I remember, mostly, being in Zero. Go through Ao, don't wait. I also want to read more impressions from everyone else that can play those two games =)

I'm worried that the references to 3rd will keep increasing and I'll miss out!
Then again I have come this far. Ah screw it, looks like the last game I play will be the 3rd lol. What a weird way to play a multi-part series.

Ao no Kiseki Prologue

So we track down Ernest to the Altair Lodge (the place where the human experimentation took place), where he has Hartman with him. We actually went into the Republic! Falcom you tease! I carried over my Zero save, but I didn't look up what the entailed; I didn't see any bonus quartz or anything, but I assume my levels carried. Joining me is Arios and Dudley; couldn't ask for a cooler pair of bros. And Noel Seeker with a new outfit. They say Ernest broke out of prison, but I never visited a prison in Crossbell; I think it's a little unusual for a game that focuses on police work to not have a prison place to enter.

Here we can see that the improvements Falcom made to the Enigma II system were the base of the excellent menuing system for quartz in Cold Steel. Now when swapping quartz you have highlights for what arts get added and removed and you no longer have to hold down a button to view Arts. And of course the appearance of Master Quartz in the game. I noticed they also improved the quartz texture graphics so it's easier to tell Earth and Space quartz apart; that was actually annoying in Zero so kudos to them.

I also want to talk about balance. Burning Heart got nerfed HARD. Makes sense though as STR/DEF/SPD +50% and a free turn disruption was bonkers lol. But now it's not worth using at all. Also his sealing line craft costs 30CP now. But his Accel craft and Arts disrupting crafts got buffs with the chance of inflicting status effects. Hit 1 got buffed, Evade quartz now lowers DEF. Noel got nerfed, her MOV reduction craft only reduces to first stage, but also buffed, as she now has a craft that lowers strength by 50% (which is kind of insane). Dudley looks unchanged (godlike voice actor intact) and Arios is of course ridiculously powerful.

Regarding the story. It's cute when Lloyd realizes how much he missed not having his SSS crew with him for this mission. Yeah I miss them too Lloyd. Doing a mission without Randy blowing things up next to me feels wrong. Anyway we catch up to Ernest, and I remember asking if Ernest was truly evilly ambitious or if it was all the result of the magic drug Gnosis and society's manipulation. Looks like the game subtly answers that by saying it's both, haha. Lloyd running forward to try to convince Ernest not to give in to the evil desire of the magic's effects and Ernest reverting back to his non-evil state (Macdowell... sensei...) was a cool scene. Oh and once again we didn't address Ernest's unusual looking sword.

But not as cool as KEVIN THE STAMPEDE blasting him with holy arts to subdue him! I did not expect Kevin to be here. But maybe I should have because Altair is a religious place of some sort? And then Ries appears! I know nothing about Ries... that's why I thought that if these two are going to keep appearing in the game, I may be making a mistake by not playing the 3rd... OTL
Did I mention that Kevin's face looks kind of weird with the new art? But Ries looks great!

So we then go on the longest train ride home where Noel and Lloyd have a big conversation about all sorts of things, and I just remembered this is where my carryover save kicked in because it brought up the scene where Lloyd promised Tio to take her to the amusement park. So I assume that is the relationship system in play here? Quite interesting!

Then we got into Crossbell... and uh, the intro plays.... holy shit that's a lot of reveals for an intro! Who the hell is that chick wearing all the armor (almost looks like Ilya)? And there's Duvalie? And THE TREE we saw in Cold Steel 2! The mysterious bells we investigated in Zero! Wazy has joined the SSS (wtf?) AND LLOYD GRIMACING THROUGH THE RAIN AS HIS SHOUNEN HEART BURNS! #PogChamp

Kiseki intros are dangerous for hype levels and "general" spoilers. What a tradeoff. I guess in the end, I'll always watch the intro to a kiseki game; can't resist.

SephLuis

Keep going. While I think Ao has a worst pacing than Zero, the overall experience is still amazing. Really looking forward for impressions on the next few chapters.

Aters

Keep going. While I think Ao has a worst pacing than Zero, the overall experience is still amazing. Really looking forward for impressions on the next few chapters.

If by "worse" you mean "can't catch a break" than I agree. Personally I love how Ao throws action after action at you. Even the "relaxing" part turns to serious shit real quick.

SephLuis

If by "worse" you mean "can't catch a break" than I agree. Personally I love how Ao throws action after action at you. Even the "relaxing" part turns to serious shit real quick.

I mean while every chapter on Zero felt incredibly meaningful from a story perspective, Ao had some moments that dragged on and on to me. Though, when the action and story actually got going, it's amazing.

The relaxing parts, especially the
beach chapter
took me a long time to get the will to go through them. I must have stopped the game for one month in that chapter alone and, after it, I think I finished the entire game in two weeks.

So question for Guen and others who've played Zero Ao based upon things we saw in CS2

Spoilers for all obviously

Did Lechter appear in Zero/Ao hence his almost non existence in CS2? Also when Lechtef appears for the finale of CS2 is Zero/Ao's story already concluded? I'm not looking for specific details unlike Lechter who I guess spoiled the twist antagonist of Zero/Ao but just a simple timeline understanding.

preta

So question for Guen and others who've played Zero Ao based upon things we saw in CS2

Spoilers for all obviously

Did Lechter appear in Zero/Ao hence his almost non existence in CS2? Also when Lechtef appears for the finale of CS2 is Zero/Ao's story already concluded? I'm not looking for specific details unlike Lechter who I guess spoiled the twist antagonist of Zero/Ao but just a simple timeline understanding.

Yes, he does appear in the Crossbell games, and yes, Ao's story has ended* by the end of the finale. Not sure what you mean by him spoiling the twist antagonist though - I don't remember anything like that.

We're very briefly shown the state of things two years after Ao's ending. The rest of the series hasn't caught up to that point yet.

Yes, he does appear in the Crossbell games, and yes, Ao's story has ended* by the end of the finale. Not sure what you mean by him spoiling the twist antagonist though - I don't remember anything like that.

We're very briefly shown the state of things two years after Ao's ending. The rest of the series hasn't caught up to that point yet.

Lechter mentions how the president of Crossbell has been arrested implying he was responsible for the giant azure tree and likely has a connection to Oroboros. Maybe he always comes across as an antagonistic character in Zero/Ao but the impression I got from the stuff that you can read in game in CS1 made the Crossbell President seem like a legit cool dude and not another Orborne or Caynne.

preta

Lechter mentions how the president of Crossbell has been arrested implying he was responsible for the giant azure tree and likely has a connection to Oroboros. Maybe he always comes across as an antagonistic character in Zero/Ao but the impression I got from the stuff that you can read in game in CS1 made the Crossbell President seem like a legit cool dude and not another Orborne or Caynne.

Oh, I didn't remember Lechter mentioning that - only the narration in the divertissement. Don't worry, there's plenty more that you haven't been spoiled on.

Oh, I didn't remember Lechter mentioning that - only the narration in the divertissement. Don't worry, there's plenty more that you haven't been spoiled on.

Yeah I knew one way or the other something from Crossbell or Erebonia would be heavily hinted at in the other so I'm not losing sleep over it. The Trails games have never really been good at hiding twist villains imo.

Gu4n

The problem is that it's hard to say whether the the Zero/Ao storyline is already concluded. Falcom could very well portray Sen III as a sequel to both Ao and CS2, especially with the situation in Zemuria you've seen at the end of CS2.

I can't imagine a CS3 that doesn't deal with the unresolved conflict of [CS2 spoiler]
Rufus and Jusis
, and by extension, I don't see how that wouldn't extend to Crossbell, because... you know.

TR_

So I assume that is the relationship system in play here? Quite interesting!

It mostly the same as Zero, you gain bond point through choices in side mission and story events. Buying furniture gives points and collecting all will give special events where Lloyd enter their room and some furniture are only in certain chapters.

The difference this time is that some important NPC
(Dudley, Kea, Fran, Cecil, Sully, Illya)
have a final bonding events and you can gain points by triggering events with them during a specific time in chapters. There's no indicators that tells you about these events so you should use a guide for them. Also, you can gain point by doing combination attack but thats only limited to a certain chapter.

A warning about the secret side missions. A certain set of secret side missions follows a story line and the last mission doesn't end there. The ending event of the side missions can be missable and it needs to be triggered before a certain story event. If you manage to trigger the event it causes the main story dialogue to change.

Nyoro SF

It mostly the same as Zero, you gain bond point through choices in side mission and story events. Buying furniture gives points and collecting all will give special events where Lloyd enter their room and some furniture are only in certain chapters.

The difference this time is that some important NPC
(Dudley, Kea, Fran, Cecil, Sully, Illya)
have a final bonding events and you can gain points by triggering events with them during a specific time in chapters. There's no indicators that tells you about these events so you should use a guide for them. Also, you can gain point by doing combination attack but thats only limited to a certain chapter.

A warning about the secret side missions. A certain set of secret side missions follows a story line and the last mission doesn't end there. The ending event of the side missions can be missable and it needs to be triggered before a certain story event. If you manage to trigger the event it causes the main story dialogue to change.

This shit is complicated. I kind of like it.
At least I know what the darts were for in Zero now. I thought the game was just fucking with me before, not letting me play darts.

Nyoro SF

It just came to my attention that XSEED is making custom art achievement icons for the 3rd.

FC's achievement icons were fantastic, and it's too bad they ran out of time (and likely budget) to make great SC icons, so this is a great return to form.

https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrails/
8McDBIZ.jpg

I wonder if I asked, if XSEED would provide all the source images for their FC and Ys Origin achievement icons.

Dude

SO far I am ranking Cold Steel 2 below the first game (i cant believe im even saying this)

Like seriously.. Just based on the horrendous storytelling in Act 1 alone

Almost to Act 2 where I hear things finally get underway.... my god though... was a serious low point for the series as a whole.

Nyoro SF

Ao no Kiseki Chapter 1

This chapter was interesting in that we had to sort of settle back into our old method at Crossbell, but we have a bag of new tricks. Now we own a car that can go anywhere! And there is a prison (though we don't see the inside of it). Also we can access the back alley from the quick travel menu. In typical Kiseki fashion they decide now is the time to introduce new villains so they introduce Azrael and Bullet from Blazblue (just kidding; Shirley and "Uncle" from the Empire as some sort of hunting death squad). Lechter is such a scummy guy, you can tell that he's a perfect fit for Osborne's right-hand man.

Anyway there is one weird scene in a sidequest where Shirley forcibly gropes Ellie's boobs to the point of tears and collapse and everyone just watches. Uh... yeah. It wasn't really funny and seemed really out of place for Ellie to be crying while Lloyd doesn't do anything. modernkiseki.jpg

Battle notes: As expected, Randy got nerfed. 80% burn on Salamander got reduced to 40%. 100% blind on grenade got reduced to 30%, Wazy's Phantom Rush got SPD reduction from 50 to 30%, Ellie's heal craft got the cost raised from 30 to 60CP, with the range reduced on Cross Mirage... yeah. but Combo Crafts are incredibly strong. Tried a few out on monster chests and they are very devastating. Also got introduced to the new Burst system in this chapter, and Burst, like Overdrive, seems incredibly strong with the amount of free turns it offers. But it appears like there are a lot of limitations on when you can use it.

There was an interesting scene at the church where Ries tells Ellie not to discuss her background. I'm surprised that Ellie would know anything about Ries. Then going forward we hear that KeA has been moved to higher classes cause her knowledge level is higher than expected. KeA skipping grades...? Then if you go to the graveyard, someone mentions that Arios's wife died and Shizuku lost her sight in the same incident; I didn't know it was simultaneous.

Seeing Randy in a military uniform is weird but it kind of fits him. It's great to see that Randy is the same as always, causing his partner officer to lose her cool then for her to ask him to come back to the army. Honestly at this point in the game, there are so many small revelations it would take me ages to list them all. Ao does a great job of pulling back the curtain slowly on characters and their backgrounds, and Randy is one of the key examples.

The scene with Wazy and Vlad at the old town was fantastic. Wazy laying out his purpose over the last 2 years bare, and telling Vlad that his purpose in the Old Town was complete, pissing off Vlad... then Wazy shows the difference between them. Also Wazy seems to show off some mysterious power? This seems to come into play later when he can sense the higher elements just like Tio can? Seems a little strange, Wazy isn't some sort of superhuman is he? :p

And of course how can we forgot the appearance of the joker CAMPANELLA... who knows what he is plotting? And WTF, he's a computer hacker as well? Given that Ouroboros has a history of screwing with computer systems on the Liber-Ark, I guess I shouldn't be surprised... can't wait for Cold Steel 3 with the next Anguis furiously typing away on a keyboard or something. Anyway Campanella is up to no good, but where is Jonah while his systems are getting abused?

Anyway at the end of this chapter we get to see a lot of old faces! Kloe looks FANTASTIC in the new art, and it's great to see Julia and Sieg again. And how can we forgot our buddy duo Olivier and Mueller! My god they're here for the trade conference as well along with Osborne and Lechter. I almost jumped out of my chair when I saw the Arseille! And I was laughing when I saw President Rocksmith for the first time (once again like Jonah in the last game it was like I was reading an old American comic series haha). And Killika has come a far way from retiring from the Zeiss Bracer Guild and working for Calvard's Intelligence Services. I'm not sure how I feel about Killika in Zero and Ao, she seems like a very different character... maybe it's just the new facial expressions throwing me off.

I am curious about why the old mine in the mountain had higher elements activated. I'm also curious as to how KeA could've seen the Orchis Tower before; perhaps it's a recreation of some sort of ancient construction from 500 years ago, and Dieter is actually a member of the DG cult? (speculation). And uh, whatever the hell Campanella is doing. I thought he was the kind of guy that didn't do much other than screw around with people, but here we are seeing him take an active role.

This chapter is like the holding breath chapter cause you start to see the pieces fall into place.

It just came to my attention that XSEED is making custom art achievement icons for the 3rd.

FC's achievement icons were fantastic, and it's too bad they ran out of time (and likely budget) to make great SC icons, so this is a great return to form.

https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrails/
8McDBIZ.jpg

I wonder if I asked, if XSEED would provide all the source images for their FC and Ys Origin achievement icons.

I just wish SC had an all encompassing "collect all achievements" one. It's the only Falcom game they put out that doesn't

But that one looks great. I loved FC's and origins. Napishtim's were appreciated but a decline in quality and SC didn't have them. Glad to see they're not only back but of a high quality again like Origin and FC

PK Gaming

The last time I posted here I was in a pretty bad spot. Picking Hard was a pretty stupid move on my part since I was blatantly unfamiliar with the game. Enemy encounters were kicking my ass, I didn't know how to handle money, and I was struggling to complete basic quests. I was this close to restarting on Normal, but I decided to give it another chance. And boy am I glad I did because I'm having the time of my life right now.

One of the first things I realized was that Hard wasn't actually hard (so far anyway...) I was just approaching the game wrong. Challenging every enemy that approaches you and buying items in bulk straight up isn't feasible. Instead, if you want to succeed, you need to take a conservative approach to everything. That means only buying what you need (Armor, then weapons & food. Healing items are prohibitively expensive so far so only get the essentials), only fighting occasionally (because EXP gain is too low, etc). In other words, less Estelle, more Joshua. The game does this wonderful thing of allowing to escape from every battle immediately, so even if you get ambushed you can just bail. It's soooo useful.

This ends up feeding back into the narrative; you play as junior bracers who quite frankly, aren't shit. Treks into forests for rare plants genuinely feel dangerous because of how the game is set up. I absolutely love this, even if it's technically frustrating. I tensed up when I actually found the damn flower because it meant having to walk aaaaaalllll the way back to the city, avoiding a bunch of dangerous enemies in the process (and you better goddamn avoid them because they WILL wreck your shit). And of course, Estelle is pretty much one of the greatest protagonists in RPGs, and she plays off Joshua super well.

Znn8sIi.png
d57wLU4.png

(Hotels are godseeend)

I can see why so many of you adore TiTS so much. I love Cold Steel, but it's such a different experience (outside of the obvious structural similarities). I've said this before, but TiTS is like your favorite Saturday morning cartoon anime. It's incredibly charming, and i'm almost floored by the fact that SC is apparently a lot better. I can't wait to tackle it, but first I gotta finish FC.

skjkMxC.png

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I can see why so many of you adore TiTS so much. I love Cold Steel, but it's such a different experience (outside of the obvious structural similarities). I've said this before, but TiTS is like your favorite Saturday morning cartoon anime. It's incredibly charming, and i'm almost floored by the fact that SC is apparently a lot better. I can't wait to tackle it, but first I gotta finish FC.

That's the consensus, but it's not universally agreed upon. I'd argue the first half of the game is weaker then FC, but the second half is stronger. In the end the two games end up being kind of a wash.

And that's an interesting way to appreciate hard mode, not unlike my appreciation of Metroid Prime 2.

Another fine connoisseur of JRPGs about to partake in BEAST MODE Estelle for the first time.

I'm all misty-eyed! :p

That's the consensus, but it's not universally agreed upon. I'd argue the first half of the game is weaker then FC, but the second half is stronger. In the end the two games end up being kind of a wash.

And that's an interesting way to appreciate hard mode, not unlike my appreciation of Metroid Prime 2.

FC has a slight advantage on SC, but SC hits monumental highs though, so I think I'm nearly alone in that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Talking about the facebook post they made two weeks ago saying to expect more news either at the end of this month or early November. Kinda hoping for more than a blurb and a screenshot or two.

Given the wording I'd expect no less than a blog post or equivalent. If they were just going to say "check out our progress!" and post a few screenshots they probably wouldn't have bothered to announce that ahead of time.

We'll probably get an overall progress update on how far along the translation, editing, and maybe programming are, a script comparison to the other localized games in the series, a brief overview of how 3rd is different from the other games (especially FC and SC), mention that the voices were already recorded when FC was done (and no Japanese voices), and probably some reassurance that Zero and Azure "are possible as long as the interest and support (read:sales) is there."

Given the wording I'd expect no less than a blog post or equivalent. If they were just going to say "check out our progress!" and post a few screenshots they probably wouldn't have bothered to announce that ahead of time.

We'll probably get an overall progress update on how far along the translation, editing, and maybe programming are, a script comparison to the other localized games in the series, a brief overview of how 3rd is different from the other games (especially FC and SC), mention that the voices were already recorded when FC was done (and no Japanese voices), and probably some reassurance that Zero and Azure "are possible as long as the interest and support (read:sales) is there."

These are some high expectations.

Young Magus

So the Garghav Trilogy (LoH 3-5).....

I heard that they are good games with WOAT translations and that the psp versions are not good ports. Are there any other versions of these games worth picking up? Any fan translation work?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I heard that they are good games with WOAT translations and that the psp versions are not good ports. Are there any other versions of these games worth picking up? Any fan translation work?

I think the PSP ports are more different than bad. Namco changed the battle system when they ported the game. I'm not aware of any glaring issues other than the terrible translations.

Also not aware of any fan translations. There was one that got started but I'm not sure it ever made any progress and the last update was in 2011.

Gu4n

Any of the PC versions are arguably the best versions, even though I'm playing the PSP versions myself. The battle system in A Tear of Vermillion and Cagesong of the Ocean are White Witch had a proper battle system, but was changed for the localisation to the disaster mentioned above.

But yes, they're amazing games. White Witch is very understated and poetic in its writing, of which undoubtedly not much is left in the English version. It quickly became one of my favourite games ever. A Tear of Vermillion is basically the blue-print of Trails in the Sky to the extent that I wonder whether some bits in Trails have been deliberate call-backs to A Tear of Vermillion. I'm currently playing Cagesong of the Ocean, so I can't say too much about that one.

There are no fan translations in the works for the PC-98 or PC versions. I considered working on White Witch, but soon realised that I lack the skills to do the original writing justice in English.

Count me in the minority that vastly prefers FC over SC. I didn't enjoy SC that much tbh.
I really enjoyed SC the first time through, but its formulaic approach and weak first half are a major bottleneck for me to replay the game. FC is paced better all around.

aravuus

I really enjoyed SC the first time through, but its formulaic approach and weak first half are a major bottleneck for me to replay the game. FC is paced better all around.

It was definitely better the first time through.

Funnily enough, FC was better the second time through lol.

zakujanai

Count me in the minority that vastly prefers FC over SC. I didn't enjoy SC that much tbh.

I really thought it was just me and my partner who preferred FC to SC. FC was nicely episodic and each chapter felt distinct, whereas the beginning of SC (particularly chapters 1 and 2) felt like I was just going through the same story in a different region. Obviously Chapter 5 onwards was much improved but by then I'd lost a little of my excitement and never fully appreciated them.

Taruranto

I wouldn't mind replaying SC, maybe an updated version with the ability to skip battle animations. (Evo?)

Port that stuff on PS4 Falcom. :X

9d8OU1M.jpg

I enjoyed them, though english is not my first language so I was able to overlook the Blind Idiot Translation.

White Witch is the best one imo, a journey through the world in the same vein as FC. I'm kinda meh toward A Tear of Vermillion, I really liked the first half but the second half lost me, especially the main villain goal which was just... uh. A Cagesong of the Ocean is OK, but I do recall having some issues with some later plot developments, but I really don't remember much.

I don't know if I'd call them good games, but I think they are least worth a try. Worst thing that'll happen, you'll find them boring, I don't think they are unplayable, the gameplay is just too simple.

Oh, I do find the American order better than the Falcom order (I played the Falcom order), I don't think ToV ending is quite as effective if you already played White Witch. White Witch is the last one, chronology wise, and the plot points aren't tied together until the last part of Song of the Ocean.

Gu4n

Oh, I do find the American order better than the Falcom order (I played the Falcom order), I don't think ToV ending is quite as effective if you already played White Witch. White Witch is the last one, chronology wise, and the plot points aren't tied together until the last part of Song of the Ocean.
Disagreed. There are many subtle references hidden throughout A Tear of Vermillion that would be lost without having played White Witch first. Compare it, to stay on-topic, to the SC references in Cold Steel II. Why I would recommend to play A Tear of Vermillion first, however, is because it feels like a fairly standard RPG after White Witch, which is fairly unique.

Also, for comparison the same scene in the PC/PSP version:

(PC screenshot is from Peytral)

Nyoro SF

Ao no Kiseki Chapter 2

Truly the "holding breath" chapter of the game, and probably the most intensely political that Kiseki will ever get. Randy finally joins back with us and it's great to have him back. Which brings me to my next point; I don't think I really like Wazy and Noel as SSS characters. Wazy joining makes sense later on with the sidequest where he states that he's setting out on a new path, but it still doesn't seem to jive with the SSS atmosphere. Noel is just... there, not doing much other than being an upright military person. Since Zero built up all the original SSS, it feels really like I'm not controlling the SSS with Wazy and Noel there, like some bootleg sidequest group. Lloyd does say in Zero that he can't imagine an SSS without Tio in it, and I agree; I can't imagine the SSS without Tio in it either! This also kind of ties into my complaint that the sort of rapport, dialogue and sequencing from Zero seems to be missing in a lot of places. Now that I have the original crew back together I expect to get back on the same emotional track that Zero had going.

Battle System: I had to really give it some thought for MQ assignment as more come into play. In the end I decided; Wing on Lloyd, Force on Randy, Crow on Ellie and then after I booted Noel out of the party I put the ATS-buffing one on Tio. Tio luckily received ZERO nerfs to her battle crafts (with a buff to Beam Saber lowering ADF), and with her better ATS and EP pool is actually stronger as a character.

So much happened in this chapter, where to start... well, off the top of my head, the soldiers we fought against in that training exercise were incredibly strong and brought back my favorite style (2-person battles). Almost died around 6 times because of deathblows but managed to keep going and take them down (actually forced me to really dig into my item pool). Thank god I picked Ellie for support. Surprised that these two throwaway characters had full battle animations.

If you do the sidequest about the Gnosis drug study, more revelations are revealed about it. This part was tricky with limited knowledge of Japanese and such; try as I might I couldn't understand the full breadth of what the doctor was saying. On the other quests, the Heiyue guys are such assholes but it's funny to give a tour to a stereotypical rich kid from a different culture. You track down diplomats, investigate train cars, deal with Bleublanc's shenanigans... really a full fledged experience and one of the longest Kiseki chapters I've played so far, maybe beating Zeiss in SC. Oh, almost forgot the Moon Temple investigation; I'm surprised this was relegated to a sidequest, because Ries reveals her identity and an artifact and we learn more about the strange bells. I love how Ries is like "fuck your barrier" and just jumps over, right in front of cops no less! Then we debate whether we should break the law too lol.

Politics. So the Trade Conference finally takes place. Really interesting political moments. Osborne wants a disarmament of Crossbell's gates (removal of their garrisons) in exchange for a trade deal with Crossbell. President Rocksmith agrees but he wants the Republic to control the gate closest to him (Tengram Gate) while the Empire can have the other. Crossbell is in a tough position. Then the terrorists attack; as a united front of both terrorist groups from both countries! I wasn't expecting that. Then it was revealed in the end that the terrorist attack was anticipated by both the Empire and the Republic and that they used their own forces (under proper Crossbell law) to dispose and capture the terrorists, using them as a political pawn to try to shine Crossbell military security in a weak light (and not only that, but with all but one of the terrorists dead or captured, the truth behind their manipulation is likely forever hidden). Pretty incredible, but then Dieter decides to flip the whole table over and declare independence for Crossbell! Finally bringing that CS1 flashback to light.

Can't forget the conversations between Osborne and Rocksmith. Both of these guys are quite the power players. Osborne talked heavily about strength of will and how a nation cannot exist without it and the conversation between him and the SSS was much longer than the one with Rocksmith. Immigration politics and immigration culture clashes are likely going to be the keystone of the story in Calvard, and I look forward to it.

I'm not sure why Campanella assisted the terrorists by breaking into the security systems at Orchis Tower. I'm just not seeing Ouroboros long-term play here. Probably doesn't help that I don't know if this game even has an Anguis in it. Our redheads and their brutality has of course not gone unnoticed; I think that might be the biggest mass murder and bloodiest scene in this series so far. Randy really does not approve of the killing, based on regrets in his past, but I don't think you're gonna reach this crazy family of yours. Zhao and his Heiyue buddies go about the situation a lot more elegantly, but the little meetup with the Hunting Squadron at the base of Orchis Tower was still pretty spooky. Looks like they're not going to get in each other's way... for now.

Oh on the topic of Campanella, I enjoy this bootleg Puyo Puyo game "Pom!" lol. When I first played it I kept trying to rotate the pieces horizontally but it wouldn't let me. After I figured out how the game worked I kicked everyone's ass at it. Campanella went down like a house of cards; hold these S-Crafts. Too bad about Jonah's base getting blown up though. I still don't know where Jonah is! At least the hacking animation battle got fully animated this time and not just stop scenes; made me want to rewatch Hackers. :p

May I mention that it's getting slightly annoying when all of the major players in the game mysteriously know all of our movements and all of our plans? I get that's what intelligence networks do, but foreign intelligence is probably not going to know my movements in such a fine detail when operating in a foreign country. I find it pretty insane that they knew the terrorists would go after the base of Orchis Tower, where they would run, that I visited the Arseille, SSS reorganization... like, come on. lol

We started a little slow, but the information we learn is becoming more and more relevant and the curtain is being pulled back more and more. Now the hype can only go up from here. Lots of mysteries still left.

Psxphile

Man, I'm getting spoiled the fuck out of Crossbell and I don't even give a shit. Keep 'em coming.

I'll probably forget the details anyway if and when Zero comes over.

Top Bottom