• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•24-26•17 - Beasteality reigns, wee Life for "Teenagers" with attitude @ BO

Status
Not open for further replies.
WAG doesnt make nearly enough money to be the new Dreamworks. Illumination took that title.

The decline of DW makes me so sad. Their new films have absolutely no ambition.

TBH I think illumination will have the same problem when DM/Minions loses traction, as Shrek did for DW.

kswiston

TBH I think illumination will have the same problem when DM/Minions loses traction, as Shrek did for DW.

With two studios, they can do what Disney and Pixar are doing and alternate between new IP attempts and sequel milking.

Also, Secret Life of Pets was huge, and Sing was Kung Fu Panda sized. That takes some of the strain off of the Minions stuff.

hirokazu

GitS could do extremely well overseas. Next week we'll see just how much star power ScarJo has to pull audiences.
I don't know how GitS is tracking for a worse opening than Power Rangers domestically, but it has a real chance of hitting big overseas.

I'm actually surprised that PR bombed that hard internationally, but then again the theatre was basically a few groups of guys, some parents with kids who probably realised they made a mistake once the film started, and some sad, lonely guys watching it by themselves.

China isn't gonna save it. Japan isn't gonna save it.

GitS, on the other hand, has a good chance of pulling in a decent sum in China - anime and manga properties are big there. Possibly Japan too, depending on how receptive they are of Western remakes. Even if it fails in other territories, they could probably fall back on those and other Asian markets. Aside from the anime and sci-fi crowd, we'll have to see how big Scarjo's selling power is.

kswiston

If we are looking at worldwide box office, I suspect that the top 3 for the year will all come from the non-summer (May-Aug) months. I wonder if that has happened before.

I'm actually surprised that PR bombed that hard internationally, but then again the theatre was basically a few groups of guys, some parents with kids who probably realised they made a mistake once the film started, and some sad, lonely guys watching it by themselves.

What fucking nonsense.

hirokazu

but I still wonder
where did all the gold go!? that should have been the richest town in America the moment the final battle ended.
It went
towards rebuilding Angel Grove from the ruins of a small town into the city we're familiar with.
Not really, but it would be a good idea.

Litan

What fucking nonsense.

image.php

I just got back from beauty and the beast, my god it's perfect. I was blown away at how they captured the animated movie so perfectly. This deserves all the money it's going to make. Remake them all Disney, if they are like this I want all of them.

I also saw power rangers. Good characters, the power rangers part was meh.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Disney 2019 has a lot of question marks still, but what we do know of is already insane:

Captain Marvel - 3/8/19
Untitled Disney Fairy Tale (Live Action) - 3/29/19
Untitled Disneytoon Movie (2019) - 4/12/19
Untitled Avengers - 5/3/19
Toy Story 4 - 6/21/19
Untitled Indiana Jones (2019) - 7/19/19
Untitled Disney Fairy-Tale #1 (2019) - 11/8/19
Untitled Disney Animation (3-D) - 11/27/19
Untitled Disney Fairy-Tale #2 (2019) [Live Action] - 12/20/19

Episode IX is no doubt in the 2019 lineup as well. My guess for the untitled 11/19 animated film is the Frozen sequel.

Box Office to be renamed Disney Office

Yo what was WB's movie Disney Office?, how many Disney dollars it make?

kswiston

I suppose that's possible. I think Guardians can beat it though.

Guardians would have to be the higest grossing MCU film outside of avengers and Age of Ultron. So I doubt it.

I'm not convinced that Fate of the Furious passes BatB worldwide at this point, but it at least has a better shot. The Jast Jedi will top the year.

hirokazu

I watched it by myself and I can assure you I'm not sad or lonely. Maybe you are, which might explain the downright childish insults.
What fucking nonsense.
Sorry, when I see people watching a movie by themselves, that's my automatic reaction, even if they're not sad and lonely. And Power Rangers had a disproportionately high number of viewers who were alone.

I do hope it does well enough to get a sequel, and hearing that Lionsgate probably made their money back is encouraging, but it is what it is!

But on topic: I wonder how much Fast 8 will drop compared to 7. I can't see it coming close to the worldwide gross.
Minus the Paul Walker effect, I see it hitting $1b tops.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Are you suggesting that Illumination films do have ambition?

Did I miss something? When the hell did the summer movie season start in March? There are FOUR franchise movies in the top 5 and even the one outlier is effects-heavy sci-fi.

Did I miss something? When the hell did the summer movie season start in March? There are FOUR franchise movies in the top 5 and even the one outlier is effects-heavy sci-fi.

Nah. Studios, like game publishers, realized that people magically have money all year round, not just the 2-3 months you've previously decided were the hot season.

kswiston

Nah. Studios, like game publishers, realized that people magically have money all year round, not just the 2-3 months you've previously decided were the hot season.

I can at least see where it came from in gaming, since it used to be aimed squarely at the under 18 market until around 20 years ago. Even after that, the gift giving market remained a large driver for game sales.

It makes less sense with movies.

Anth0ny

always makes me laugh that it took them this long to realize this shit

i would have killed to have some big game releases for the summer as a kid

consistent releases of great games/films year round is real cool.

at some point we'll probably have a big disney film every month, between disney animation/disney live action/pixar/marvel/star wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom