• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

34,000 pieces of Wii U software were sold in the UK in January (incl. NintyLand)

Foffy

Banned
No Mario/Zelda game at launch is a joke.

Going to go out on a limb here and assume you believe New Super Mario Bros U doesn't count as a Mario game for some reason, because that was the first time since the N64 a console launched with a Mario game.

Daingurse

Nintendo brings more smiles to more faces. It's just that those smiles belong to the people interested in Nintendo's downfall or something.

FamilyGuy-Good20Good.gif

I don't know what it is, maybe it's just the old Sega fanboy blood. I don't HATE Nintendo by any means, in fact I've been in love with their handhelds and series like Pokemon for nearly 20 years. But. . . waking up early in the morning with a nice hot cup of tea while browsing this thread just creates a sense of dastardly joy in the cockles of my heart. Their failure feels deserved, NAY earned!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
For Orbis/Durango to be successful, they'll need to have plenty of quality software.

The funny thing is that Wii U hardware actually had a better launch than 360/PS3. I look forward to seeing how Orbis/Durango perform at launch. I still think it will start hot and then slow considerably soon after.

I know a lot of people bought the Wii last gen because at the time when it was fairly new, it was cheaper than the PS3 and 360, had netflix, wiisports and you could play some other games if people wanted.

For me to buy the WiiU it is basically;
-Price drop to $199-$220 ($250 is the absolute high-end for me if they have some killer stuff)

-1 SKU with at least a 120 GB HDD, if you are going to be selling full games on your marketplace that are 4-15 GB a piece, you are going to need more space. Maybe different colors in a few years when sales slow down.

-Games, not just rehashes of PS3/360 stuff. I was different stuff that makes me glad that I bought, what now seems like a different approach than SONY/MS for next gen.

-User experience... the load times and menus right now are awful

-Get that TVii app working up to a full fledged product

-Get those social communities working as well as online working, even up to a 360/PS3 level would be fine.

-Bring 3DS compatibility to it and bring that into the full circle. Heck, even making some game where all the kids can bring over their 3DS's and then interact with the 1 WiiU console would be killer for most kids and families... Then you don't have to worry about having the multiple touchpad argument.

-Oh yeah, and bring that Nintendo excitement back to games and your console. Parents already love Nintendo, kids know what it is probably with their 3DS's. Make kids want a 3DS instead of an iPod Touch or iPad and then have games on the 3DS that interact with the main WiiU console (and vice-versa) to bring the customers in even more. Have it be a family affair.

-Nintendo should have made Skylanders exclusive (just after seeing the first one launch, people would def get off Nintendo's backs a little for not having a console version of pokemon or whatever... for at least a few minutes) and then after this next run of Skylanders:Twisted/Switched/Whatever its called, make them Nintendo characters! BOOM, generation WON!

javac

FamilyGuy-Good20Good.gif

I don't know what it is, maybe it's just the old Sega fanboy blood. I don't HATE Nintendo by any means, in fact I've been in love with their handhelds and series like Pokemon for nearly 20 years. But. . . waking up early in the morning with a nice hot cup of tea while browsing this thread just creates a sense of dastardly joy in the cockles of my heart. Their failure feels deserved, NAY earned!

YOU WILL NEVER GET SHENMUE 3!!!

Kokonoe

Banned
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac19/VirtueSeven/FamilyGuy-Good20Good.gif[IMG]

I don't know what it is, maybe it's just the old Sega fanboy blood. I don't HATE Nintendo by any means, in fact I've been in love with their handhelds and series like Pokemon for nearly 20 years. But. . . waking up early in the morning with a nice hot cup of tea while browsing this thread just creates a sense of dastardly joy in the cockles of my heart. Their failure feels deserved, NAY earned![/QUOTE]

Nice avatar, by the way. Did you make that cake yourself?

kswiston

It's marketshare, meaning percentage of the market. Population size is already factored in.

Ah. For some reason I thought it was marketshare of each country towards total EU sales. Which if I stopped to think about it makes no sense given the biggest markets are listed as having low single digit numbers!

My mistake. Thanks for pointing this out. Truly horrible results all around then!

No, Wii U was dead on arrival and Nintendo should have known better. The hardware is far too weak and they have no compelling first party software to go with it.

Nintendo has forgotten how to launch new hardware that doesn't have a massive price advantage or catches a casual fad at just the right time.

No Mario/Zelda game at launch is a joke. Not having a Metroid game already on the radar is too. Nintendo has rejected the aging core gamer demographic from a content standpoint (no first person shooters or "mature" themed titles for the most part) and they're paying the price as a result.

The notion that gaming is dying is preposterous. We just saw the first cycle where all three manufacturers broke 70M in sales. That's a damn impressive number. The industry is alive and well, consumers are just feeling fatigue from old hardware, which Nintendo has chosen to keep themselves chained to.

The Wii U would have had a much better chance of succeeding if Nintendo had done the following:
1. delay release until 2013, alongside the PS4 and Xbox 720.
2. Have a Mario game ready for launch.
3. Keep the motion controls in the box alongside the more traditional controller peripheral they're now selling, drop the tablet completely.
4. Court the same audience as the Wii, but with hardware parity alongside the new generation systems, using core title exclusives (Metroid, F-Zero, Bayonetta, MonHun, etc.) to court core gamers.

They got drunk on their own "we don't need to be hardware competitive" spin. They're fucked now as a result. No one sees the Wii U as a generational step forward and none of the games for it make even a mediocre argument for the expensive ass tablet controller. This is Nintendo bundling Blu-Ray and then announcing "$599!", a failed concept based on hubris.

New Super Mario Bros. U says hi.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
So do we have any idea how much of that 34k is New Super Mario Bros and Nintendoland?

Boulayman

Damn, those are some woeful numbers for the Wii U. PSV and 3DS have nothing to gloat about either.. Sort of puts the Ubisoft move of yesterday into perspective...

Not surprising tbh, i have only seen three WiiU adverts in the UK since launch and they were all in early December.

The only place i have seen WiiU mentioned on TV since is in the Love Film advert lol.

In both my local supermarkets WiiU games are just thrown in amongst the Wii games, no posters, no display cases of the console, no console to try, no hype.

Nintendo must be actively trying to be this bad surely...

Wow, that's awful, but not too surprising. I don't know one person that owns a Wii-U or even has any interest in eventually getting one.

I know one person who has one, and he's gone back to 360/PS3 games, presumably because nothing new has released on the Wii U.

That is not how you start a generation Nintendo, I recall pretty much dumping the current gen when the 360 arrived, same with other people.

People claiming the UK market will be just fine when PS4 and the new Xbox come out, please explain PSV

PS Vita didn't exactly have an amazing launch either, and it certainly didn't help that Sony keep pushing it as a portable PS3 rather than a dedicated handheld.

Nintendo are great in that regard, because they're slowly building up their own library (after an equally poor start) and making the system unique - PSV seems to be getting a lot of 'portable versions of franchises you already buy on PS3' titles.

Edit: D'oh double post, sorry GAF

Boulayman

I know one person who has one, and he's gone back to 360/PS3 games, presumably because nothing new has released on the Wii U.

That is not how you start a generation Nintendo, I recall pretty much dumping the current gen when the 360 arrived, same with other people.

A friend of mine has bought every single console that has come out the past decade within a week of its release as far as I know. The Wii U is the first he hasn't bought. He does regret buying his vita though, he says he has nothing to play on it and that the memory cards are way too expensive.

As for your other point, my own experience was a bit different when I bought the wii, I mostly bought gamecube games actually to play on it.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone

That describes me. I have a WiiU, pretty much strictly play my 360. God knows if anything actually ever released for the console I'd be picking it up to justify my purchase. I kinda figured when I bought it, being on a level similar to 360/PS3 I'd at least get 3rd party port offerings, but there's just nothing out there. So my WiiU gathers dust until two games I was told were launch window W101 and Pikmin 3 release.

Nintendo are in a couple self-made holes that I really don't know how they're going to get out of. I guess they can go the ultra-aggressive route but man, I'm not sure they want to take them losses if they do. I truly don't think Nintendo understood why the Wii was successful. Combine that with the way they've marketed themselves the past few years and there's really nothing there for them. Normally I wouldn't think it's a big deal, there's still team to reinvigorate marketing and unleash software in Q3/Q4 and try to bounce back, but this is a new situation where a console is struggling mightily, and to make things worse 2 more consoles are launching this year which have the potential to completely cockblock everything.

This is the moment where I post a certain Kaz Hirai quote about core gamers and pillars but I've used it like twice this year already, so I don't want to again. Someone else, go for it!

Kokonoe

Banned
Thanks :). Naw I have no talents in culinary arts, My Mom got it made by someone who makes cakes on the side. That was for my birthday last year, pretty much my favorite emblem ever.

I love that emblem myself, Sonic & Knuckles is actually my favorite game of all time. Your mother picked the right person to do it, I may have to get one some day.

They need to reduce the price of the games.
It's ridiculous that Wii U games more or less cost £44.9-49.99 on the high street.

Should be £34.99-39.99 at most, and £20-24.99 for 3DS games.

kswiston

Haha, what?

Explain PSV? OK. It's a crap and completley undesirable mass market product just like the Wii U is.

Also:

1) The PSP was basically dead in North America and parts of Europe before the Vita even launched. 360 and PS3 might not be posting record sales anymore, but they are still going strong and have some momentum. It's easier to be excited for a new console if your previous purchase hasn't been sitting in a drawer or closet for a few years.

2) Vita even did poorly in Japan where 3DS is posting very respectable numbers and the PSP flourished (it will ultimately outsell everything other than the PS2, Gameboy and DS in that territory. At least until the 3DS catches up). Most of this was due to high prices and poor software support.

The Wii U shares both of these features in common with the Vita. The Wii isn't quite as dead as the PSP in the west, but it has had three straight years of major declines, with little software support in the past 12 months besides Just Dance and a few niche rpg releases.

ironcreed

Banned
Sonic Adventure 3, Shenmue 3, Power Stone 3, etc for Wii U confirmed!!!!!!!!!!

Would be nice, huh? Seriously, I am obviously joking around. I'm sure it will have some great games and I'll end up with one myself one day. Still, pretty dismal numbers here.

Durante

I am talking worldwide numbers. PS4/720 might have a better first month because of better advertising and excitement, but by this time next year I expect very similar worldwide sales to what Wii U is achieving right now.
You are really expecting both PS4 and 720 to completely and utterly bomb in their first January/February? I just can't imagine general disinterest on that scale.

C4Lukins

Why are people on this board so antagonistic in Nintendo threads? Jesus.

That goes for both sides.

You may have missed the good ol GIF frenzies with Nintendo employees shooting 100 Dollar bills out of their asses in every sales thread. The shoe being on the other foot is just causing a massive overcompensation of both delight and dismay.

RMI

Banned
Not surprising considering there is no software to buy!

I bought a Wii U a few weeks ago on a decent deal, and it'll more or less be collecting dust until MH3U comes out.

*Edit

No regrets, though. I'm a grown assed adult though and own almost every platform, so there's no shortage of games for me to play. I'd hate to be the kid that got this thing for xmas though.

Top Bottom