• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

34,000 pieces of Wii U software were sold in the UK in January (incl. NintyLand)

Portugeezer

They will definitely drop the price this year. They might be losing money, but they'll lose more money in the long run if the system keeps declining and they never manage to build momentum, lose all support (publisher and retail) never succeeds as a platform (this was also their argument for such a huge price drop for the 3DS). They only reason they mightn't do it sooner than later is theres no compelling new releases coming for a while.

I'll give you that. I could see them dropping it, but only around the holiday.

pringles

And then people blame Ubisoft for making their game multiplatform.
Yeah would have been crazy to release a game for the WiiU now that every WiiU owner is completely starved for new games.

Better to delay it and release it when the software drought is coming to an end and everyone is playing other games.

Seriously, the 3DS did really bad at first too. It was doomed and so on. But it just had a weak launch-lineup and nothing much for the first few months. When we start seeing Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Zelda etc. released for the WiiU it will pick up, the only question is how much.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo should just go 3rd party.

No point in releasing consoles with last gen tech and no 3rd party support

Ideally you'd believe they'd learn from the mistake and next round go all out. They could theoretically release a system in 4 years that is more powerful than Orbis/Durango and have 2-3 years by themselves as the most powerful system on the market (which is exactly what I think they should do).

That said, even if they did that, would 3rd parties support them? I don't think they would. We'd probably hear the same story they've been giving Nintendo for years ("Well, the console is so new we don't really know enough about it so we'll just stick with our current console output," or "We really can't put out a game for it unless we really take advantage of the creativity of the console," etc). Nintendo is in huge trouble because of the third party situation.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Care to elaborate further rather than state the obvious.

Yes, I can't drive my car, nor play football, nor go to the movies while playing my PS3.

I can't play Angry Birds in a waiting room while playing a 3DS or VITA.

That's all well and good.

I also can't get GTAV on a Galaxy Note or COD BLOPS2 on an iPhone.

How exactly have smartphones and tablets consequently changed the world with regard to home consoles?

Because core gamers aren't the majority of people who buy these consoles. Some people on GAF pretend they are, but they really aren't. Most purchases are made by Average Joe Consumer, not enthusiasts. This consumer is most likely just past purchasing a tablet or smartphone. Look at 360/PS3 sales. When did they really pick up? 6 years after launch when prices dropped.

That's why I don't have much faith for Orbis/Durango having hugely successful launches, either.

Nibel

Nintendo will never go third-party; I don't say that they will never go bankrupt, but if the Nintendo ship thinks then all their IPs will go with them - they stated that many times before.

I see no point in wishing them going third party, even though their first party games destroy Tomb Raider with ease I guess which is why I can kind of understand it

I... uhh... are you bitter?

Main Entry: 1joke
Pronunciation: ˈjōk
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin jocus; perhaps akin to Old High German gehan to say, Sanskrit yācati he asks
Date: 1670
1 a : something said or done to provoke laughter ; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1) : the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2) : an instance of jesting : kidding <can't take a joke> c : practical joke d : laughingstock 2 : something not to be taken seriously : a trifling matter <consider his skiing a joke — Harold Callender> —often used in negative constructions <it is no joke to be lost in the desert>

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah would have been crazy to release a game for the WiiU now that every WiiU owner is completely starved for new games.

Better to delay it and release it when the software drought is coming to an end and everyone is playing other games.

Seriously, the 3DS did really bad at first too. It was doomed and so on. But it just had a weak launch-lineup and nothing much for the first few months. When we start seeing Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Zelda etc. released for the WiiU it will pick up, the only question is how much.

The 3DS didnt have any valid competition when those games released.

The WiiU games next fall have to compete with 2 new consoles and some 3rd party titles like GTA and COD plus the sports titles.

Schnozberry

Yikes. Brutal numbers, but I guess without any new software to move the machine and no new ad campaign to speak of, this is somewhat unsurprising. Nintendo needs some new software and and an awareness campaign ASAP.

This board has went insane. Insane.

Pretty much. Nintendo needs to reorganise (exactly what is happening) and become more efficient with their software. End of the day the best explanation for why their currently making losses is not selling WiiU at a loss but having to pay overheads.

Reason for this not enough of their software is going out.
Start fixing that and they'll start doing a bit better.

I am firmly in the Hybrid Handheld next gen camp though. It will allow Nintendo to reduce their overheads, have some third party support, focus on one piece of hardware, deviate even more from Sony/MS; and finally they don't have to jump another gen again.

This is dependent on tech though. Mainly what they can put in a handheld that is efficient enough to go HD.

Striek

Nintendo will never go third-party; I don't say that they will never go bankrupt, but if the Nintendo ship thinks then all their IPs will go with them - they stated that many times before.

I see no point in wishing them going third party, even though their first party games destroy Tomb Raider with ease I guess which is why I can kind of understand it

I don't think Nintendo is likely to go third-party any time soon (more chance of Sony or MS bowing out the business first) but thats silly as fuck. Their IPs would be sold to the highest bidder if they went bankrupt. There is a zero percent chance of them taking the IPs to the grave, as it were.

Because core gamers aren't the majority of people who buy these consoles. Some people on GAF pretend they are, but they really aren't. Most purchases are made by Average Joe Consumer, not enthusiasts. This consumer is most likely just past purchasing a tablet or smartphone. Look at 360/PS3 sales. When did they really pick up? 6 years after launch when prices dropped.

That's why I don't have much faith for Orbis/Durango having hugely successful launches, either.
I'm well aware the Neogaf enthusiast isn't the bulk of the installed base of the PS3 or 360. They weren't the bulk of the PS2 either. So I don't entirely dispute that launches may be plagued with similar problems.

My query is more framed towards the impact of smartphones on home consoles. I'm still curious how you think tablets and smartphones have changed the home console market - as I think this notion is overblown.

Dedicated handhelds are tanking relative to the past that much is evident.

But home console HW sales aimed at traditional gaming demographics have been remarkably stable during the last decade through the rise and fall of the Wii, through the GFC, through the rise of the iPhone and iOS and consequently Android and tablets.

Per JVM's figure:
annualized-console-sales-2003-2013.png

Even in this thread, the SW market is only down a few percent for the PC/PS360 as tablets continue to rise in consumer mindshare.

Shion

Nintendo should just go 3rd party.
I'd love for that to happen (as long as they release their core games on consoles that is).

However, I have a feeling that if Nintendo goes 3rd party their franchises won't be nearly as big as many people seem to think.

Ideally you'd believe they'd learn from the mistake and next round go all out. They could theoretically release a system in 4 years that is more powerful than Orbis/Durango and have 2-3 years by themselves as the most powerful system on the market (which is exactly what I think they should do).

That said, even if they did that, would 3rd parties support them?
They probably wouldn't because Nintendo would just be way too late to the party (kinda like how the Wii U is now).

No way they're losing money in europe
Of course they are. Here in Europe we pay MUCH MORE taxes than on US or Japan, and there is a 2 year warranty imposed to vendors.
If your WiiU breaks in one year in the USA, you pay. In Europe, Nintendo pays. That's how it works.

pringles

The 3DS didnt have any valid competition when those games released.

The WiiU games next fall have to compete with 2 new consoles and some 3rd party titles like GTA and COD plus the sports titles.
Yeah it could be a bit too late to completely turn the ship around when they finally start releasing their big name titles.

But I don't think anyone should count the WiiU out until atleast after E3. We'll see when PS4/NewXbox get released, at what price, what games they'll be showing etc, and what kind of games Nintendo can answer with.

Schnozberry

I don't think Nintendo is likely to go third-party any time soon (more chance of Sony or MS bowing out the business first) but thats silly as fuck. Their IPs would be sold to the highest bidder if they went bankrupt. There is a zero percent chance of them taking the IPs to the grave, as it were.

There would be also no reason for them to go bankrupt. They have 10 billion dollars in cash on hand, and will likely be able to turn around their losses later this year. People act like this is ET for the Atari 2600 where they are just burying thousands of Wii U's and Games in a landfill.

They blew the launch with bad advertising and not enough software. They still sold millions of Wii U's and plenty of software. It's far from over.

SmokyDave

There would be also no reason for them to go bankrupt. They have 10 billion dollars in cash on hand, and will likely be able to turn around their losses later this year. People act like this is ET for the Atari 2600 where they are just burying thousands of Wii U's and Games in a landfill.

They blew the launch with bad advertising and not enough software. They still sold millions of Wii U's and plenty of software. It's far from over.
That's a myth, isn't it?

I thought that figure was from the height of Wii-Mania and has since been diminished somewhat?

Schnozberry

That's a myth, isn't it?

I thought that figure was from the height of Wii-Mania and has since been diminished somewhat?

I believe at it's highest point it was closer to 20. The lastest figure they disclosed that I can find was 10.2 billion last March. Based on this year's losses, it could be down from there.

Nintendo currently hold around US$5.5B in cash and deposits.
Not to derail your point, but there is actually an Angry Birds mini you can play on Vita.
And Angry Birds Trilogy is the best selling third-party 3DS title in the west.
Noted. But yes, point was, tablet devices and smartphones offer a direct substitute for dedicated handhelds, and their impact on the market has been visible.

As yet, I don't think there's been much to suggest that the advent of such devices has had any substantial substitution effect on home consoles.

ironcreed

Banned
That is horrible, no matter how you slice it or dice it. Hope to see Nintendo bounce back, but I am doubting it will just magically start selling like hot cakes.

Foffy

Banned

The thing here, though, is that in the handheld space their competition was Sony, and they only had a battle with them in terms of sales in Japan, many years into the PSP. The 3DS could get away with anemic sales because not only was it the first platform launched in the eighth generation, it had leeway to bloom because it had an entire marketplace to itself, and had the time to make amends for any shortcomings. The Vita, conversely, has none of those going for it so it's struggling, badly.

The Wii U has already shot its early momentum of being the first eighth generation console out into the ocean. Their battle is to make consumers give a shit about their product when the core PS3 fan already has something to wet their whistle this month with the announcement of a new platform, as will the core 360 fan later on in the year.

The Wii U is in a far more dangerous climate than what the 3DS was in, and it's far more likely that it will not be able to pick itself up so rapidly, or even at all, because the timetable for its competition is so close to this downfalling for the platform in terms of sales and interest. It's looking like many consumers will just look over the platform.

Raven77

Funny cause when I posted in a Wii U thread about how awful the advertising was, I was immediately beset up on by rabid Nintendo lovers claiming I was an idiot.

Proof is in the pudding, so they say.

Nintendo, you are doomed. Catch up with technology and maybe you'll have a chance. It pains me to say this, it really does, my three favorite systems are N64, SNES, and NES. How far we've fallen.

xandaca

Nintendo has sold like dogshite in the UK for a long time now.

This. It doesn't surprise me Nintendo has given up on this country, although some sort of marketing obviously wouldn't hurt. Seems people just aren't that bothered about what Nintendo has to offer.

KlotePino

We need new consoles! Lol... Next Xbox and PS4 are dead on arrival.

PS4 and Xbox are going in a much more traditional route than Wii U. Don't really see how you could compare those prospects to each other. I'm really excited for the nextbox and PS4 while I'm not at all for the Wii U and there's tons for like me out there.

Of course they are. Here in Europe we pay MUCH MORE taxes than on US or Japan, and there is a 2 year warranty imposed to vendors.
If your WiiU breaks in one year in the USA, you pay. In Europe, Nintendo pays. That's how it works.

The official Wii U premium price in my country is 545 USD, you honestly think we pay THAT much more in taxes?

Concept17

The problem is, while I'm sure those titles you listed will help in some way, equivalent titles were available on the GCN.

I think while Nintendo's first party is certainly very strong, it's strength is often overstated. It cannot carry a home console system alone as some (not directed at you) seem to think.

And that they seemingly lack third party support is a major issue, because first parties cannot carry a system alone.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. Traditional first party game did not sell the Wii. The casual wiimote-oriented games did. Wii Sports, Fit, etc. Just making sequels to these and the other traditional 1st party games will not be enough. The problem is bigger than that, and they certainly won't come anywhere near Wii-levels of hype or success without something to draw in that casual crowd again, most of whom seem content on other platforms. The Wii U controller is not pulling anyone in.

Top Bottom