• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Releasing a patch to fix Switch auto Switching

Madness

I'm more curious about why there's such inconsistency in the behavior across so many TVs. I'm sure the Switch is sending some sort of signal, but it hasn't affected a single TV I use so far, where I'll leave it docked and on standby for hours.

Because some television manufacturers have different software that detects always-on connections, or can bypass electronics that tend to randomly turn on and off. This is a Switch issue, it just impacts Samsung more because they use a proprietary one connect digital box that automatically detects active connections and because televisions like the KS8000 sold ridiculously well for gaming last year.

I mean why is the Switch HDMI being randomly powered on and off? Either keep it always powered like some cable boxes or media boxes, or keep it off until you actually turn it on. Instead, Switch owners have to wait for television manufacturers, computer monitor manufacturers to come with a solution for Nintendo software quibbles.

ViolentP

It's a problem with the auto switching on certain TV and hdmi auto switchers.

It is still Switch related as the other things I have plugged in my hdmi auto switcher don't do this (PS4 Pro, Wii U and Apple TV, Xbox 1 when I had one). For some reasons the Switch does something when asleep that generates enough power/sends whatever signal that causes it to switch inputs briefly.

But yes, it wouldn't happen with receivers or anything else that doesn't have auto input switching when devices turn on. But that still doesn't mean it isn't a Switch issue as devices shouldn't be causing input changes when in sleep mode.

That said, it's a minor issue and I just undock my Switch when using the PS4 or Apple TV so it's a minor nuisance at most. I think I read that you can now power off the switch when docked from controller, so I may just start doing that.

I've since retracted my original opinion. The real question is why is the Switch sending a wake-up signal during sleep mode? Unless there is another known error with Samsung's auto-switching, this appears to be a Nintendo issue.

bill0527

Thank god.

I just got a switch last week and I play it on my KS8000.

This happened to me just a few nights ago right smack in the middle of game 6 of the NHL Western Conference Final. It was infuriating. Right out of nowhere the TV just switched over to HDMI input of the Switch even though it was sitting in the dock in sleep mode.

KorrZ

Please LG.

I don't get it automatically switching, but every few hours I'll get a random "New HDMI input detected" pop-up on my screen for the switch. Super fucking annoying. It's gotten to the point where I just keep the HDMI cable disconnected from the dock until I actually wanna play.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've since retracted my original opinion. The real question is why is the Switch sending a wake-up signal during sleep mode? Unless there is another known error with Samsung's auto-switching, this appears to be a Nintendo issue.

I think it's just that certain TVs and HDMI auto switchers jump inputs when there's any "chatter" on an HDMI source, rather than just when getting a specific CEC signal.

So yeah, the real question is why the Switch is generating that HDMI chatter in sleep mode when PS4, X1, Wii U etc. in sleep mode don't despite also being set to check for updates and what not.

ViolentP

I think it's just that certain TVs and HDMI auto switchers jump inputs when there's any "chatter" on an HDMI source, rather than just when getting a specific CEC signal.

So yeah, the real question is why the Switch is generating that HDMI chatter in sleep mode when PS4, X1, Wii U etc. in sleep mode don't despite also being set to check for updates and what not.

I imagine Samsung has been getting hammered with support tickets pushing them to roll out a solution.

jack....

Why would Samsung even fix something on their end that wouldn't need fixing? I don't see how can this be anything but an issue caused by non-compliant HDMI implementations from some TV manufacturers, as the problem doesn't manifest in all of them (and it should, if it were a Nintendo Switch issue).

Again, the Switch doesn't have any issues with my old ass Philips, and uses HDMI-CEC brilliantly.

Because their support forums, and probably all of the other avenues of contacting support, are full of people complaining about it, I guess.

Fliesen

Seeing as how it's not just Samsung but multiple HDMI switches, Apple TVs, etc., it does seem to be the Switch as the culprit.

Also, people saying that they're not having the problem so it doesn't exist are as bad as the people saying all Joycons are fine or the Dualshock 4's L3/R3 sticks didn't ever peel. Realize that you're not everyone and the problem can still be there even if you don't experience it.

Again, the issue is CAUSED by the Switch. And Nintendo SHOULD fix it with an update. - nobody is denying that.

still, it's rather silly that TVs would have a feature that forces an input switch, and not give the TV owner the ability to turn said feature off.

Again, the most apt comparison would be if Windows were set up to open windows explorer when you connect a USB drive. If you had a faulty usb drive that ejected and re-mounted ever so often, OF COURSE the usb drive is at fault, but until you get to fix / replace the drive, Windows better have a toggle that allows you to deactivate said automatism. - which is what Samsung is adding to these Smart TVs.

People who have input-detecting HDMI switches or receivers, which can't be updated to turn off said auto-input switching are SOL, and depend on Nintendo to fix the Switch's constant "waking up"

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine Samsung has been getting hammered with support tickets pushing them to roll out a solution.

For sure. Just does no good for those of us with cheap HDMI autoswitchers as those can't be patched so we're at the mercy of Nintendo to release and update that stops the HDMI chatter in sleep mode.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
still, it's rather silly that TVs would have a feature that forces an input switch, and not give the TV owner the ability to turn said feature off.

While true, most of us love the auto switching. It's great to be able to Switch consoles and have to do nothing but hit the button on the controller and not have to fuck with a remote to change inputs.

I wouldn't stop using my auto switcher or turn off the feature if Nintendo doesn't fix it. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and just turn it off while docked or undock the Switch while doing other things.

Clockwork

I hate the current auto sensing HDMI implemented in my KS8000 even outside of the Switch.

It literally does not work well. From switching to inputs it shouldn't because I turned a device on to turning on my XBOX One because I switched to that input on accident (and that is with HDMI CEC off).

How about don't do anything with my inputs or devices until I specifically tell you too. Also the auto naming of said inputs is obnoxious too.

Fliesen

While true, most of us love the auto switching. It's great to be able to Switch consoles and have to do nothing but hit the button on the controller and not have to fuck with a remote to change inputs.

I wouldn't stop using my auto switcher or turn off the feature if Nintendo doesn't fix it. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and just turn it off while docked or undock the Switch while doing other things.

All of this works via HDMI CEC, which the switch supports flawlessly.

My Samsung TV supports regular old HDMI CEC (i.e. pressing the PS button on the dualshock or the home button on the switch makes it change inputs to the console) and doesn't do any of these supplemental "hey, there's some new HDMI signal, i guess you wanna check out that input" shenanigans.

Thank god. This has been super annoying.

I can finally use my Switch on my TV!!!😄😄😄 unhooking the dock hdmi cable every time became a real pain in the ass!! I think after the first month I stopped bothering. I almost forgot my Switch could be used on a TV screen.

So if you're plugging your switch into your tv, then running audio from the tv to a receiver, you're likely not getting actual 5.1 surround.

If you're going optical from your TV to your receiver then you're not getting 5.1 surround anyway unless you have one of the rare TVs that allows pass through. Almost all TVs don't.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
All of this works via HDMI CEC, which the switch supports flawlessly.

My Samsung TV supports regular old HDMI CEC (i.e. pressing the PS button on the dualshock or the home button on the switch makes it change inputs to the console) and doesn't do any of these supplemental "hey, there's some new HDMI signal, i guess you wanna check out that input" shenanigans.

Good to know. Know idea if my cheap, older Samsung TV even has CEC. Have to use the HDMI switcher anyway as it only has two HMDI ports in anycase.

Aesnath

Yep, this happens with my HDMI switch. I really wish Ninty would patch it. Very obnoxious behavior.

Actually, I'd be reasonably happy if they would just give me a damn way to turn it off while docked without having to get up and hit the power button physically. It doesn't seem like a big ask.

Mihos

Gold Member
For sure. Just does no good for those of us with cheap HDMI autoswitchers as those can't be patched so we're at the mercy of Nintendo to release and update that stops the HDMI chatter in sleep mode.

My auto switch is far from cheap. Every TV I have Samsung 55inch, Sony Bravio, Sharp Quattron, older LG 55 inch I replaced the caps in, and Avior programmable 8 in 1 switch for the projector all do this with the Switch. I can program the Avior to ignore it, but it is easier to just not connect the switch at all since I only have one game for it. I also have a Toshiba TV and a 55inch RCA, but no game systems are hooked up to those.
As far as other systems hooked up... fucking all of them. If it has an HDMI connecter, I have it. That is why I needed an 8 in 1 switch. I had a Sony 3D bluray player, and the PS3 used to autowake sometimes, but they were both patched at some point. I think the NeoGeo X would sometimes autoswitch, but it is on an manual switch with the frameister now.
I also wish that when you turn the switch 'off' (not sleep) it would stay off when docked. I would not be surprised if the two aren't related by some power management mode, like when some phones will pop awake to tell you they are 100% charged multiple times a night.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, I'd be reasonably happy if they would just give me a damn way to turn it off while docked without having to get up and hit the power button physically. It doesn't seem like a big ask.

Didn't someone mention that this had recently been patched in? I haven't got a chance to check.

Hexer06

Nice! I've just had my Switch unplugged when I'm not using it. Good on Samsung for trying to fix it tho. Gives me faith they'll keep this TV alive for a bit.

conpfreak

I have a Vizo and had an LG before it and both had the same issue. It is a Nintendo problem because nothing else in my entertainment center does it an nothing else I have ever had has done it.

It's a Nintendo Switch issue in that the device seems to activate the HDMI port randomly while in sleep/standby mode when doing background tasks. It's a Samsung/all other TVs that do this issue in that these TVs should not have an auto-switch feature separate from HDMI-CEC that cannot be turned off. Older TVs that don't have all of this unnecessary auto-switching crap don't have this issue despite the same behavior.

If you're going optical from your TV to your receiver then you're not getting 5.1 surround anyway unless you have one of the rare TVs that allows pass through. Almost all TVs don't.
I sold my house and kidney for a KS8000 and it supports 5.1 via ARC! It's apparently making me greedy though, as I can get 5.1 from everything else except my Switch, which is the only input that needs to be routed through the receiver.

bill0527

I sold my house and kidney for a KS8000 and it supports 5.1 via ARC! It's apparently making me greedy though, as I can get 5.1 from everything else except my Switch, which is the only input that needs to be routed through the receiver.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on. As I said above, I just got a Switch recently and play on a Samsung KS8000.

All of my devices use 5.1 through ARC, however, when setting up the Switch with my TV, I selected the surround sound option, did the test, but only the front 3 speakers appear to be working with the Switch. Don't have any issues with any other device doing that.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
my switch seems to do this 2-3 times after about 5 mins of being off. it just causes a popup on my lg tv though

RenditMan

Banned
My Samsung tv switches to whatever it likes the piece of shit.

If I wanted the "TV" input 30 seconds and resulting blank screen after switching my sky box on and started watching it I'd fucking press the Tv input button Samsung.

Rant over.

HDMI ARC is a different situation all together. I was just pointing out optical since many people mistakenly think that they can pass 5.1 audio from their TV to their receiver with an optical connection when almost all TVs don't allow pass through with that type of connection. I've never quite understood why one would go through their TV to their receiver instead of their receiver to their TV though. Can you give some insight why you do this?

I'm trying to figure out what's going on. As I said above, I just got a Switch recently and play on a Samsung KS8000.

All of my devices use 5.1 through ARC, however, when setting up the Switch with my TV, I selected the surround sound option, did the test, but only the front 3 speakers appear to be working with the Switch. Don't have any issues with any other device doing that.

HDMI ARC prior to the new HDMI 2.1 standard doesn't support LPCM 5.1. That's why it doesn't work.

Cuburt

People are still trying to blame this on Nintendo?

It was clear from day one that it was an issue that mainly effected certain models of Samsung TVs and maybe a couple LG TVs as well, just from what I noticed people saying.

HDMI CEC just seems like a finicky protocol. I still have issues with power commands going through all devices even when it's just my Sony Bravia TV, my Sony receiver, and my PS4 trying to communicate with each other.

No issues with my Switch though. It works great with HDMI CEC 99% of the time.

Takat

It doesn't always happen, but could be what's kicking me out when I hook up my Macbook... nice that they are fixing it.

Does this affect other TVs? If it does, it wouldn't be a TV issue but a Switch issue and it should be Nintendo's job to fix it.
I'm stuck with this issue and don't have a TV as such.

Switch > HDMI box > Onkyo AVR > projector

PS4 and Apple TV work just fine with this setup. Switch doesn't.

People are still trying to blame this on Nintendo?

It was clear from day one that it was an issue that mainly effected certain models of Samsung TVs and maybe a couple LG TVs as well, just from what I noticed people saying.

HDMI CEC just seems like a finicky protocol. I still have issues with power commands going through all devices even when it's just my Sony Bravia TV, my Sony receiver, and my PS4 trying to communicate with each other.

No issues with my Switch though. It works great with HDMI CEC 99% of the time.
The reported issue is nothing to do with CEC.

Morts

Mine does this, plugged directly into my KS8000. I always figured I could fix it if I plugged the Switch into the receiver instead but I've been too lazy to get behind the entertainment center.

HDMI ARC is a different situation all together. I was just pointing out optical since many people mistakenly think that they can pass 5.1 audio from their TV to their receiver with an optical connection when almost all TVs don't allow pass through with that type of connection. I've never quite understood why one would go through their TV to their receiver instead of their receiver to their TV though. Can you give some insight why you do this?
Ah, my mistake in assuming you meant ARC as well as optical!

I fully admit I may very well be doing everything backwards, but I chose to route my PS4/PC through my tv then send an ARC signal to my receiver, because the KS8000 assigns a custom setting to each input. If I route everything through the receiver, then unfortunately it registers that as a single input, and it doesn't play well with my saved settings. It also necessitates that I have to use the remote receiver to switch inputs as well. The KS8000 is a higher end tv and supports 5.1 passthrough, so the compromise of counterintuitively going from TV > receiver has actually been working out pretty well so far.

The only logistical snag is the Switch, which annoyingly doesn't support DTS, so it can't pass a 5.1 signal from my tv to the receiver, and the chances of Nintendo suddenly paying a dolby license post-launch is never going to happen. So the Switch takes over the sole receiver input, with some minor funkiness with the settings sometimes.

Ah, my mistake in assuming you meant ARC as well as optical!

I fully admit I may very well be doing everything backwards, but I chose to route my PS4/PC through my tv then send an ARC signal to my receiver, because the KS8000 assigns a custom setting to each input. If I route everything through the receiver, then unfortunately it registers that as a single input, and it doesn't play well with my saved settings. It also necessitates that I have to use the remote receiver to switch inputs as well. The KS8000 is a higher end tv and supports 5.1 passthrough, so the compromise of counterintuitively going from TV > receiver has actually been working out pretty well so far.

The only logistical snag is the Switch, which annoyingly doesn't support DTS, so it can't pass a 5.1 signal from my tv to the receiver, and the chances of Nintendo suddenly paying a dolby license post-launch is never going to happen. So the Switch takes over the sole receiver input, with some minor funkiness with the settings sometimes.

It sounds like your receiver is capable of handling 5.1 LPCM, DTS-HD MA, and Dolby True HD, so you're actually getting worse sound because you're going through your TV. Your PS4 is capable of lossless audio. Your PC, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't output in Dolby Digital or DTS, but outputs in LPCM. So it's better to go through your receiver.

It sounds like your receiver is capable of handling 5.1 LPCM, DTS-HD MA, and Dolby True HD, so you're actually getting worse sound because you're going through your TV. Your PS4 is capable of lossless audio. Your PC, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't output in Dolby Digital or DTS, but outputs in LPCM. So it's better to go through your receiver.
Hmm, then maybe it's time for weekend experiments and the endless loop of adjusting settings and hoping the TV saves them.

Thanks for the advice!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Guess I'm the only one who finds this amusing, Samsung releasing a patch to stop the Switch switching.....That's Gold there lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
im not the guy but i battle with sound via optical.
i use sonos surround with the soundbar and 2x sonos 1s. it was a mistake to invest in this ball ache of a solution. Sonos is incredible for everything except surround sound, only an optical link on the soundbar and it just coonnects to the TV. that kills surround for switch.

also certain sound types. optical cant handle dolby digital+ either and you need it somehow downconverted to dd

the whole situation is a mess and im really pissed about my investment in sonos surround, system is almosf worthless. which is a shame because for music the system is amazing

expel

Oh good! This happened to my KS9500 and it's so annoying i just decided to pull the hdmi from my tv when i'm not playing switch.

Top Bottom