• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Power Pass: $60, 6 Months for Game Rentals, Keep Last Game You Rented

Riviawolf

Neo Member
I'm sure they're counting on people playing and loving two or three of the games they try during the six month period, and paying used game prices to keep them. So in the end, they're guaranteed to get $60 from you for one used game, and potentially $90 or more on top of that if you pick up a few more along the way after trying them.

Yeah, true. I forget that people do tend to wish to keep games in this day and age. Totally skipped out on that other portion. I've been transitioning to digital purchases these days, for ease of access. I live about 30 mins from a Gamestop. Plus they are always closed when I get out of work. So.. just easier for me. However, this is a pretty damn good deal I may have to make time to consume.

:)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Judging by the condition Gamestop has for games coming in, no thanks. I'm not paying $60 for 6 months for a game that smells like cigarettes, tobacco dip and weed.

Genuinely curious, which area is this ? I've never experienced anything like that in the 3, 4 Gamestop's I frequent in my city.

So basically pay to do what gamestop employees do, except they put the games back in the opened case and mark them as new

Hey that rhymed

As a part time at one of the biggest stores in the country, this doesn't happen. I suppose it happens with other places though and it has lead to scandals in the past. At my place and many others in the area, though, only preowned, non hot (i.e. games released a week or more) games we have more than two copies of.

Fbh

Seems like a pretty good deal. I'd definitely give it a chance if Gamestop started offering this in my country.

I use and like GameFly. This doesn't seem appealing since it only applies to used games.

Gamefly is used games. Gamefly for me has like a week turn around time. The most I could rent is 2 games a month with shipping. This gamestop thing sounds like I can stop in anytime.

i do this anyway with preowned games you can take em back within 7 days maybe they finally got tired of people like me abusing their rerurn policy

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So..

You can take a used title, play it and beat it - then bring it back and return it and take another. As many times as you want, for 6 months. Then at the end, you get to keep the last item you took out?

For the consumer, this is a fantastic deal.

However - I'm having a hard time understanding the business strategy here - can anyone elaborate?

To me - it looks like they're charging $60 for the 6 months, and just moving product in and out. However, there could only be two potential variables in major profit potential here..

1. The customer forgets that the 6 month period is about to expire, and ends up being forced to keep a $20 game - thus the company makes $40 profit.

2. The customer comes back, and takes a $55 used game - and the 6 month period ends, which then the company only makes $5.

Granted - I see the concept. Risk/reward without really any risk other than someone NOT forgetting to pick up a title that may be worth more.

Either way - profit. But is there more to it, that I'm not seeing? LOL. Even at the most basic form though - it's a very smart move.

Plus, honestly.. I may have to pay into this. That is very much worth it.

It's advertising for them - having a customer come in and out of their stores, having to walk past all Think Geek merch to pickup their next rental. It's only bad on frugal customers who would never buy anything else in the store.

LordRaptor

"Its a shame single player games are dying out" / "Man what a great deal gamestop has that means I never have to buy a singleplayer game again!"

Wow. Sounds like a very good deal. I know there's single player games I'll never touch again after I beat them, including odyssey and breath of the wild.
Been 7 months and I haven't beaten botw yet though.

adamsapple

i do this anyway with preowned games you can take em back within 7 days maybe they finally got tired of people like me abusing their rerurn policy

Some games need more than that, especially RPGs or JRPGs but yeah, I thought about doing this a few times but always feels like i'm doing something horrible. But that's just me.

Apdiddy

Genuinely curious, which area is this ? I've never experienced anything like that in the 3, 4 Gamestop's I frequent in my city.

Rural Georgia. You open up a game case and the smell invade your nostrils. I've had to take the game back and say something to the guy (usually) behind the counter. He takes a whiff, recoils, and goes to look for another case.

Someone somewhere at that Gamestop thought it was 'sellable' or had the worst f*ckin' sinus infection in the history of humankind.

Falchion

An awesome deal if they actually keep a decent stock of the most popular used games and aren't constantly out.

We need something like this for digital games on pc.

I've been saying it for a long time: give us a premium sub on Steam and let me play whatever the fuck I want.

mas8705

It's not a bad idea. I just wonder how long you would have to wait for newer releases to become used.

In fairness, it all depends on how fast people trade in their newer releases. For example, I traded in MvC:I after a few weeks after I got my fill. Mind you the copy I traded in is still there, but I would imagine that either A) that game would also be up for grabs or B) there could be some limits on "Just released/just traded in" games.

Then again, if you only use the service once to get a game that cost $30 and kept that the whole time, you kind of wasted your money. As such if this does come into play, I'll definitely be rotating out the library as much as possible and as it nears the end, pick one game that is worth keeping.

---

As for the "Why?" I think everyone here already hit the nail on the head already: You get people into the store. You bring them in to "rent" a game, and then if there's anything else from ThinkGeek or other games they want to get that they don't want to just "rent out," you can hook them and get them to get more. Borrow a game that is for $40 and then buy a game that's for $20-30 while you're at it. Wouldn't be much different from Blockbuster selling movies you could buy while you rent movies too.

Shouta

^^^ I feel like the real value of this is in the data. They can see what the buying habits are of subscribers, what they bought when they took/returned a game.

I wonder if you have to return the used game to same store you got it from?

Data is probably it, actually. Financially, it doesn't make sense but they can sell the data or use it and potentially get more customers where it does make more sense.

Seems like a solid deal, I think it's better than it was last time they offered it, but don't quote me on that.

I really don't like renting games but I would def bite on this if I wasn't in the working world.

Amory

As a part time at one of the biggest stores in the country, this doesn't happen. I suppose it happens with other places though and it has lead to scandals in the past. At my place and many others in the area, though, only preowned, non hot (i.e. games released a week or more) games we have more than two copies of.
I bought a "new" 3DS game in an open case one time and was unsurprised to find a save file on it.

I'm sure it's not everywhere.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Judging by the condition Gamestop has for games coming in, no thanks. I'm not paying $60 for 6 months for a game that smells like cigarettes, tobacco dip and weed.

GameFly games don't smell like this.

foxdvd

60 dollars for 6 months. Make sure you pick a new game that is still trading for 30ish bucks as your final game. Trade that game in, so you actually spend about 30 bucks for 6 months....at two games a month that works out to 2.5 a game...and say what you want about Gamestop, but they usually have a LOT of games available, even new games.

For a heavy user who will rent 4 games a month this is an even better deal.

This sounds good. Instead of waiting for used games to drop in price i can pick up newish games over the 6 months if they have it. $60 over 6 months isnt really alot and then trading in the one you keep to drop the price even more seems to work out in the consumers favor to me.

Will definitely jump on this to go through a bunch of games. I used to be subbed to Gamefly but what always bothered me was the turn around time, the "randomness" of the games you received and of course the lost in the mail/stolen games. With several Gamestops near me and as long as there is no funny business with the stock once this program goes online, it should fit my needs.

We had a local game store here that did this, but the problem was that anything good was always checked out and you were paying whether you had a game you wanted to play or not. Granted, they didn't have nearly as good of a selection of used games as most Gamestops do.

sneas78

Banned
Or, since Gamestop's policy has never really stopped this, just buy a used game, finish it, return it within 7 days, buy another game with said credit. Go to another location if morality stops you from making a corporation feel bad.

Wow. I just talked to a GameStop employee about 3 weeks ago.. I was like “ hey with all these used games why don’t you guys rent games to people” they are just sitting there anyways. He said well “ if you buy pre owned you have 7 days to return it .. it’s kind of like renting” and he incouraged me to do it.
The only thing is .. I wish we can rent 3 games at a time.

Whizkid7

Stopped in at my local Gamestop and they didn't have any clue about this, but suggested that since it seems like a holiday deal to check back closer to then. So I doubt we'll see anything more on this until next month.

lutheran

Would be a good deal for me if I didn't already have such a huge backlog. Gamefly for me has always been a disappointment, for some reason it takes them forever to get games to me. Even when it says available for some reason if it isn't at the closer distribution point to me they don't ship it.

Metzhara

I wonder if there will be games "off limits" to this service. If not, I think this is a great idea.
It gets to have Gamestop attempt to stay competitive, front loads the cost of a game, and essentially calls out what most people have been using the service for.
I also now wonder if they'll change the policy for return on Used games.
Either way, much potential. I don't even buy used games and I find this an interesting principle.

kegkilla

Banned
Problem is that nowadays most games require you to buy the DLC to get the full experience, and who the hell is going to buy DLC for a rented game?

norm9

I'm very tempted. As long as the pre-owned copies don't have roaches or peanut butter on them. I could use this to upload the discs onto my xbox and buy the digital copies on sale to save on download times.

They would probably frown on trading games every day though.

adamsapple

I'm very tempted. As long as the pre-owned copies don't have roaches or peanut butter on them. I could use this to upload the discs onto my xbox and buy the digital copies on sale to save on download times.

They would probably frown on trading games every day though.

Man, some Gaffers have some real weird gamestop's in their areas. I have been using GS to get pre owned games for over a year now and have not had any issues with any discs from them so far.

AndrewPL

If lots of people do this the used game stock is going to quickly become pretty shitty.

I also rarely see good Nintendo games used so I don't think it would really work that well.

bastardly

I did this for their summer pass and it's pretty awesome. I'm fortunate I live in area where's there's like 10 gamestops around. I just used the app to find a game I want and it'll tell me if it's in stock preowned at a store. It'll never be day and date like gamefly, but I remember some stores getting like destiny 2 a week later. And at the end I got to keep splatoon 2, it's definitely worth it for 6 months.

Top Bottom