• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Caves, Dramatically Reduces Cost to Unlock Heroes

AmaiMask

Banned
Don't see how this is even good news, there shouldn't be lootboxes or content locked behind absurd grinds to begin with. If anything this was all one big test concocted by EA to see how much they could get away with. As long as lootboxes continue to exist then it's a moot point, players will always be nickled and dimed for content that should have been included in the base game.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
And you never have to buy a loot box in Overwatch. You can ignore the free boxes too if you want and have the same great fun everyone else does.

Sorry friendo (I refer to everyone as friend it's normal) I just can't stand these practices. I'd buy Overwatch if it fell to some ridiculously cheap price, but selling me a game and then trying to sell me more content that isn't in the form of a proper expansion pack is just disrespectful to the consumer.

Froli

Is it true that the reward points was also reduced? lol. Thats what I read from other forums

For instance, during my review, completing the campaign earned players a unique loot crate that contained 20,000 credits. That reward is now 5,000 credits.

PSlayer

Still not gonna buy it but it is nice to know that if people organize even EA + Star Wars can backtrack with their policies.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't have a problem with Overwatch's loot crate system. They're just cosmetics that wouldn't even exist outside of a loot crate system.

Paid once for Overwatch, got 100% of the gameplay. People who want to play paper dolls can spend money for the extra costumes.

Imagine if you could get damage boost/decreased ability cooldowns/increased armor/etc. out of crates in Overwatch? That's what EA is doing with SWBF2 and it is a horse of an entirely different color.

The people buying crates in SWBF2 are buying a competitive advantage over people who don't, it is fucking ridiculous.

Fuz

Banned
Sorry friendo (I refer to everyone as friend it's normal) I just can't stand these practices. I'd buy Overwatch if it fell to some ridiculously cheap price, but selling me a game and then trying to sell me more content that isn't in the form of a proper expansion pack is just disrespectful to the consumer.

You are indeed right, but it's a lost war.

I just don't buy loot boxes and I don't really care if someone pays to get an advantage. If I lose the round so be it. I find the constant whining about all this more annoying.

I just don't buy loot boxes and I don't really care if someone pays to get an advantage. If I lose the round so be it. I find the constant whining about all this more annoying.

I disagree with your stance, but I think the reason for all the uproar is because it could potentially get worse in the future and people don't want to see that happen.

Imagine playing a game like Mario Odyssey and being told that Mario can't use the hat for certain items unless he levels up his skill tree to a certain point. Leveling up that skill tree would either require an insane amount of time put into the game or an egregious amount of money spent on in-game currency for upgrades.

That's what people are worried about and that's why there's been so much of a fuss about it.

Blam

wtN4w0a.png

EA you are seriously fucking with me right now.

royox

Skins are not content and you get tons of boxes withouth needing to buy them.

wtN4w0a.png

Before we riot, they cut ALL the rewards or just the one for completing the Campaign?

prag16

Banned
Skins are not content and you get tons of boxes withouth needing to buy them.

Before we riot, they cut ALL the rewards or just the one for completing the Campaign?

First part: "Content" is a funny word. Some are saying the "vast majority" of "content" in the game is locked behind loot boxes, etc. Well no multiplayer maps or modes are locked, and the campaign isn't walled off in any way. So 'content' comes down to multilevel perks and some hero characters that most people will spend very little time playing regardless. If that's "content" so are skins.

Second part: Sounds like its ONLY that one reward and not all, but probably need better confirmation.

JP

wtN4w0a.png

That sounds like it's a campaign thing though as it's already been confirmed that to unlock the heroes it's dropped from around 40 hours to around 10 hours which wouldn't make any sense if nothing had changed.

quest

Not Banned from OT
wtN4w0a.png

This might be the greatest troll job in the history of gaming. Only this industry has the balls to treat customers so poorly with such bravado. This is straight up styling and profiling in the face of every paying customer. Bravo to EA!

The reward for completing the campaign was reduced to 5k because you're supposed to use that for the unlock which was also reduced to 5k.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Who needs "AAA" anymore? I mean, besides excelent first party stuff from Sony and Nintendo and a couple of games from other publishers. What is the fucking point of "AAA" right now in the grand scheme of things? Oh, i tell you what - to fuck you over in every way imaginable and to get all of your money!

Ugh, i don't know about you guys, but at least for my self i don't see absolutely any reason to buy "AAA" games anymore except a very few games which actually worth buying cuz they don't have any MTs or fucking lootboxes in them - Wolf 2, TEW2 etc.

I already can tell that during the next year i will save for myself so much money by not buying 90% of "AAA" bullshit, that i'll even could finally afford to buy 43-50'' TV and maybe even build new Z370 PC!

No you didn't, you said it would be 30 hours down from 40.

Maybe you're getting confused what "X down from y" means or the opposite "X up from y"

Basically X is the new value and y is the old value, so the original is correct, a 75% reduction results in 10 down from 40.
The only person confused here is you. Go back and look at the original post I quoted. They were saying that 10 hours down from 40 was not significant. Meaning 40 hours minus 10 hours is not a significant change. Hence 10 hours down.

The reality is it is 40 hours minus 30 hours. 30 hours down. Which is what I fucking said. And then what you tried to correct me by saying exactly the same damn thing. Argue with me some more about it if you like.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
The game feels a bit broken. You can't even quit to main menu without it shitting itself. There's graphical bugs too like the red meter up the top of the HUD. It gets all pixelated like a sprite in sonic 2 debug mode lol.

This might be the greatest troll job in the history of gaming. Only this industry has the balls to treat customers so poorly with such bravado. This is straight up styling and profiling in the face of every paying customer. Bravo to EA!
What the fuck else were they supposed to do? Did people honestly think that now they would get to unlock both Luke AND Vader just by beating the campaign? The campaign reward was worth half of one of them before, and now it still is. The amount of time required to earn the other half is still drastically reduced.

JaffeLion

Banned
OP, are you working for EA? Or why do you fail to mention that at the same time they are also DRAMATICALLY reducing the rewards you earn?

The death threats are the only disgusting behaviour out of all this.

Agreed.

And let's not forget that, for many, the outrage at being expected to play a videogame for an extended amount of time will be all the justification they need to pirate the game instead. Because that's 'sticking it to the man' and taking $60 of goods illegitimately is a totally fair response..

..the irony being that piracy has helped us get where we are today. More streams of revenue from a single product.

Also: EA knows what they're doing. They're doing this with Star Wars because the draw of the IP will soften the profiteering engineered into the game.

Mouse-click-activists are far too eager to slap each other on the back to appreciate that they haven't won any war. They haven't even won a battle. They've impeded EA's foregone victory a tiny bit.

My prediction is: BF2 will outsell BF1 (which shipped 14million after 18 months). And it will earn more revenue that BF1 did - by a significant margin.

And whilst people are proclaiming themselves victims because of a luxury electronic product that nobody is forcing them to buy, and whilst they're demonising the people that make the product ..

.. they'll overlook just how disproportionately disgusting it is to issue death threats over this (or anything).

Water

I think a good headline for this would be "EA 'makes changes' to pacify customers, Battlefront 2 remains pay2win"

Xane

10 hours down from 40 for Vader isn't much of a win.

Odd.

During the 10h trial I managed to accumulate over 35k credits - enough to buy both Vader and Luke.

That time estimate is totally ignoring the challenges which is one of your primary sources of credit income. It's easier to hate on a game when you ignore facts.

jimbulsara

Neo Member
A guy threatens to cut your arm, you plead.... he cuts your hand. What a benevolent god. Seriously people are falling for this? They are still locking characters behind a paywall. Same goes for the star cards.
I can't believe that they have turned this p2w into it's ultimate form, and now -because they made it slightly less bad- some people are looking at them as if they have listen to the community.
For 1 million credits you can play as the true evil character EA's CEO, Darth vader aint got shit on this guy.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They need to do the same thing as destiny 2 .
Going HAM on those in app purchases is fing pointless
And it shows how of a big tool you are to other people online.

If this game only had some temp xp boost and skin crap i wouldnt care.
It seems that vader is easier to unlock i hope like 5-10 hours of gaming.

People forget that we where all grinding back in the day. Marvel vs capcom 2 took ages on the og dreamcast.

Top Bottom