• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 launch event in France: guess which troll is banned until the first price drop

sprocket

Banned
umm why does France matter soo much? was the ps3 only launched din France? maybe I missed something?

If sony sales = 2 to 3 million does that mean GAF owned?

sprocket said:
umm why does France matter soo much? was the ps3 only launched din France? maybe I missed something?

Apart from the amusing fact that so many people posted THAT video of riots at the PS2 launch in france to prove that Europe is Sonyland?

France is a big part of europe, what else is there to say?

FrankT

maniac-kun said:
today in saturn a retailer in germany (pic taken 1 h ago):
ps3_saturn.jpg

Oh my goodness, price drop confirmed.

sprocket

Banned
The Innocent X said:
Apart from the amusing fact that so many people posted THAT video of riots at the PS2 launch in france to prove that Europe is Sonyland?

France is a big part of europe, what else is there to say?

Not as big as spain . Still 2 to 3 would = ownage right? :)

Vagabundo

Freki said:
Something between 700k and 1 million

It will probably be a sell out or very close by the end of the weekend. But the demand will slacken off over the next few weeks, it is too pricey and I think a lot of potential buyers are waiting.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
sprocket said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but France amounts for 20 to 25% of European sales. France had 60.000 PS3 reservations, and maybe 10.000 more units will be sold this week. Multiply this figure by 5 and you'd have 350K consoles in customer homes this week. Not bad by any mean, but this launch kinda confirms PS3 will not sell like hotcakes once the (happy few) rich people got their hand on the console.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
You can easily buy them here (Sweden) too.

EDIT: "Easily might be somewhat of an overstatement. But you can definitely find one if you look for them.

DKJB79

1. too expensive for mass market in France
2. games too expensive too
3. a lot of gamers were waiting to buy a 360 or a PS3, and they are choosing the 360 for price and games
4. PS2 Emulation fiasco for Europe
5. expensive but very bad adverts on TV...
6. Not enough HD TV to take advantage of what PS3 offers here
7. bluray discs very expensive

.... enough said

I'll wait for the HDDVD VS bluray fight if there is one... or a price drop by the end of 2007 or 2008 and the very first awesome and exclusive games.

Blimblim said:
That's true. But it's still a PR disaster for Sony. The sales may be good, but it terms of image it's an utter failure.

I think if you're statement has any truth, then it's mostly an example of how effective the attempts by fanboys at taking a series of pictures, making stories to go around them, and throwing it up against a wall can work.

duk said:
It's like the 360 launch in Japan all over again.

Case in point. Xbox fans are desperate for this stink to be attached to the PS3 and it's likely to be quite effective. Not that Sony has helped themselves all that much, but the above quote is the height of bullshit.

I'll reserve absolute judgement based on the numbers that come out over the next couple of days, but I agree that how this launch is portrayed in the first couple of hours can have lasting effects as people's perceptions can be set.

Vagabundo

spwolf said:
lol, so PS3 is first in UK, France and 3rd in Germany... yet it is doing really bad...

thats funny :lol

No not badly. But it is not the whirlwind that many expected this time last year.

It seems that the supply = demand so far. What will be interesting is sales over the next few weeks. It will probably track the US sales + a couple of k...

Taurus

Joe211 said:
If you really want to know the situation then check out Amazon Japan and US top sellers list since PS3 has been for sale for awhile there. Expect same to happen in Europe in few weeks after all the Sony fans have bought their systems.

Joe211

spwolf said:
lol, so PS3 is first in UK, France and 3rd in Germany... yet it is doing really bad...

thats funny :lol

yeah I think it's doing very well even but it's cool to bash Sony...
fanboy are really annoying :/

sprocket said:
Not as big as spain . Still 2 to 3 would = ownage right? :)
Uh huh?
Population:
Spain 40+ million
France 60+ million

And how would they sell 2-3 million in such a short time? In Europe alone or do you mean worldwide?

Taurus

Joe211 said:
You just don't understand, do you now? It's not doing very well, period. The Euro launch has been a disaster if any of the reports are true.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
sonycowboy said:
I think if you're statement has any truth, then it's mostly an example of how effective the attempts by fanboys at taking a series of pictures, making stories to go around them, and throwing it up against a wall can work.

I'll reserve absolute judgement based on the numbers that come out over the next couple of days, but I agree that how this launch is portrayed in the first couple of hours can have lasting effects as people's perceptions can be set.
I have no idea if the sales are good or not, all I'm saying is that even if the sales are good it's still a very bad PR stunt for Sony. I hear that *that* guy from Sony France was running around everywhere yesterday trying to avoid being interviewed, and usually he's always trying to be seen on TV at any cost. It was that bad for them.
I still can't believe how utterly bad this was, I would never have believed this would happen 24h ago.

Sirolf

Taurus said:
You just don't understand, do you now? It's not doing very well, period. The Euro launch has been a disaster if any of the reports are true.

So could you give us the numbers please Taurus ?
It seems you're tracking the sales in real time !

Joe211

Taurus said:
If you really want to know the situation then check out Amazon Japan and US top sellers list since PS3 has been for sale for awhile there. Expect same to happen in Europe in few weeks after all the Sony fans have bought their systems.

what else did you see in your crystal ball? :)
crystalball.jpg

sprocket said:

Sony isn't even going to approach that number in Europe anytime soon. It'll probably take a month just to get rid of all that surplus launch inventory, let alone the notion of pushing another couple of million out the door.

FrankT

I don't see how anyone can try to attempt to make this a good story. I mean just look at the stories out their from people on the ground, some even from GAF at these events, add in the pictures taken from today, post-launch, and it's bad anyway you want to look at it. Moreover, everyone said "oh they will sale out day one", but just look at these pictures and tell me honestly now, how many will they sale?

I think it was said best the first time;

fucup totalement

Blimblim said:
I have no idea if the sales are good or not, all I'm saying is that even if the sales are good it's still a very bad PR stunt for Sony. I hear that *that* guy from Sony France was running around everywhere yesterday trying to avoid being interviewed, and usually he's always trying to be seen on TV at any cost. It was that bad for them.
I still can't believe how utterly bad this was, I would never have believed this would happen 24h ago.

The Uk press has been not too bad so far. Mentions of not many people, but not in headlines, and the free TVs have been the story (maybe a last minute piece of genius from someone? ) But by contrast the french press has been savage.

Spain looks to be loving it, and germany seems somewhere in between. If I was a betting man I`d say about 400K consoles europe wide sold.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Joe211 said:
Do you think people are aware of the irony when they post stuff like this?

spwolf

Taurus said:

it is not even sold in US on Amazon... what are you talking about? helllo

Vagabundo

The Innocent X said:
The Uk press has been not too bad so far. Mentions of not many people, but not in headlines, and the free TVs have been the story (maybe a last minute piece of genius from someone? ) But by contrast the french press has been savage.

Spain looks to be loving it, and germany seems somewhere in between. If I was a betting man I`d say about 400K consoles europe wide sold.

UK - Good (not excellent sellout sony land FTW)
Spain - Excellent
France - Terrible
Germany - Meh
Switzerland - Poor

I can tell you the Irish launch went well, not a sell out, but quite a few lineups at midnight.

Ireland - Good

Any other countries want to sound off?

Update:

OZ - Poor

spwolf

The Innocent X said:

we will see on Monday... you are aware that Both Wii and 360 sold 350k in launch month, right?

Just putting things into perspective... People dont realize that Sony has had 3x more stock on day 1 than Wii and 360 had during launch period, total.

Top Bottom