• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 launch event in France: guess which troll is banned until the first price drop

Blablurn

Berlin, Launch-Event

ps3party15xy1.jpg

neojubei said:
Yea the antics of Microsoft is quite bad indeed. I've never seen such blatant company trolling in video games. Even the nintendon't campaign wasn't as bad as what microsoft been doing as of late. Even when Sega was doing their smear campaign against the ps1, ala nights/sega saturn commercials, Sony and nintendo really never stoop that low.

Now with microsoft's unholy war, it seems that Sony needs to fight below the belt as well.

Remember that story about 1000 new GAF accounts created by Sony? Well isn't it odd that we are seeing junior accounts popping up pro microsoft or anti sony. hmmm.

soveryangrypo6.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bishoptl said:
:lol And this is why you're one of the few Torontonians I can stand.

This launch certainly failed to meet expectations. You can spin it any way you want, but this is bad. Maybe this provides the impetus for a price drop in the near future, who knows. There's at least one poster here who's hoping it occurs sooner rather than later.

Anyways, make with more of the funny photoshops - we had them for the 360 launch in Japan and I certainly hoped to see more here...

Can we please wait a little while before sensible people start calling it bad? The fact Sony have way more stock than other launches means this one will pan out differently. Plus most places in Europe are preorder based, so pickups will be spread over the weekend, unlike Japan/US where there were limited preorders and 'first come first served' sales in other locations.

It doesn't do good PR for the TV news etc though - that much I agree with.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
neojubei said:
Yea the antics of Microsoft is quite bad indeed. I've never seen such blatant company trolling in video games. Even the nintendon't campaign wasn't as bad as what microsoft been doing as of late. Even when Sega was doing their smear campaign against the ps1, ala nights/sega saturn commercials, Sony and nintendo really never stoop that low.

Now with microsoft's unholy war, it seems that Sony needs to fight below the belt as well.

Remember that story about 1000 new GAF accounts created by Sony? Well isn't it odd that we are seeing junior accounts popping up pro microsoft or anti sony. hmmm.

neojubei...

oh neojubei...

This thread is making so much people lose it - it's embarassing, really...

Tailzo

Dagbladet (a norwegian newspaper) wrote about the launch here in Norway. It seems to have gone well, despite lower than expected interest. The problem is the price, according to Dagbladet.no. They had a poll asking what people thought of the price. around 80% thought it was too expensive.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Wow, now that I have had my morning cappacino, I re-read what I wrote and it was quite funny. :lol I think I wrote that at around 5 something in the morning, wow, I have to stop posting so early in the morning. :D

medrew

neojubei said:

Like how Sony employers called Sega ones 'pathetic' for having signs promoting the Saturn at $399?

antiloop

A poll on a big Swedish news site "If you only could buy one next-gen console, which one would it be?"

50,4% PS3
25,7% XB360
23,9% Wii

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
medrew said:
Like how Sony employers called Sega ones 'pathetic' for having signs promoting the Saturn at $399?

When did that happen and where? I don't remember much back in those days, I remember the nintendon't ads and the ps1 falling and someone saying fly playstation fly during the whole nights commercial.

Only thing i can remember Sony doing is naughty dog's mascot (forgot his name) at Nintendo headquarters with a bullhorn calling them out. lol. That was comical and so where the sega ads poking fun at nintendo and sony. Awwe i still like Sega. :D

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
antiloop said:
A poll on a big Swedish news site "If you only could buy one next-gen console, which one would it be?"

50,4% PS3
25,7% XB360
23,9% Wii

Good news.

Coen

antiloop said:

50,4% PS3
25,7% XB360
23,9% Wii

That's the problem, right there.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
antiloop said:

50,4% PS3
25,7% XB360
23,9% Wii
If the people participating in this thread where polled I bet the 360 or Wii would win. Polls on the internet mean nothing. You should learn to never believe those. I am not saying it is wrong, but it is as accurate as flipping a coin.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
neojubei said:
Good news would be a 150-200 dollar price drop on the ps3. That poll is ok news but not indicative to actual sales.

I agree. $100 price drop at least by Christmas time is a must.

ibu

methane47 said:
carrying them back to stores to sell...:lol

i kid

Aye you kid but it seems people are more willing to buy a 360 that will be broken than the ps3 at the moment!

mintylurb

Blablurn said:

Well, more pictures here: http://www.gfdata.de/archiv03-2007-gamefront/2896.html

As far as I can tell from those gamefront pictures, this Berlin launch event wasn't as big a dud as brian ashcraft of kotaku has made it out to be. Although, I do have to wonder how many ps3s were actually sold during this launch event.
Well, at least those who did show up got to see a free concert performed by what looks to be some german boyband group..

medrew

godhandiscen said:
If the people participating in this thread where polled I bet the 360 or Wii would win. Polls on the internet mean nothing. You should learn to never believe those. I am not saying it is wrong, but it is as accurate as flipping a coin.

But that poll is even more misleading because of the term 'could' which is not definitive and takes all rationality out of it as money becomes no object to the answer.
It's one of the first things you learn in statistics.

M3Freak

Banned
Since everyone that wanted to pre-order a PS3 got one, doesn't that mean most people would avoid the launch events and trickle out to pick up their PS3s over the next few days?

8bit

Knows the Score
neojubei said:

segsonl1ny4gx9.jpg

M3Freak said:
Since everyone that wanted to pre-order a PS3 got one, doesn't that mean most people would avoid the launch events and trickle out to pick up their PS3s over the next few days?

Some people might, but you'd think at least a certain percentage would want their system asap. Either way, it doesn't seem like it went all that badly everywhere. Now let's see if Sony can sustain, because the launch days in NA and Japan were pretty good, too. Not that we'll ever get straight numbers about Europe, anyway.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
medrew said:
But that poll is even more misleading because of the term 'could' which is not definitive and takes all rationality out of it as money becomes no object to the answer.
Being "more misleading" doesnt mean that the opposite is correct in any way. It just means that it is even more innaccurate. There are many other lurking variables that are affecting the results of that pool, not only the rationale of "could." For all we know, the question could have not been worded in english, thus affecting the any theory we can present. One way or another, it cannot be trusted.

Tarazet

{Mike} said:
The dog picture does not work. It should be written "N'en veut pas"

'En' has to replace a 'de' IIRC. It's been 5 years since I studied French but I'm still pretty sure 'on ne veut pas' would be better.

RubberJohnny said:
There was mass confusion in France, when people kept saying 'Wii' in response to the question, "Do you want a PS3?".

:lol Perfect.

"On en veut pas"

Would be the perfect sentence.

But if you want us to laugh too, keep the sloppy franglish as "n'en voulez pas" or "Le n'en voulez pas", it's just perfect :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
medrew said:

something you learn in business is also that '80% of people say its too expensive' doesn't mean 80% won't buy it. There is an overlap of those that think its too expensive and will still buy it. Still doesn't stop that being reported as bad news, so why not report this as good? It all comes out in the wash anyway

Ryu1999

RubberJohnny said:
There was mass confusion in France, when people kept saying 'Wii' in response to the question, "Do you want a PS3?".

This post needed to be saved from being buried by the photoshops because its just that awesome

Maldoror

sonarrat said:
'En' has to replace a 'de' IIRC. It's been 5 years since I studied French but I'm still pretty sure 'on ne veut pas' would be better.

No. The good sentence is "On n'en veut pas". I know it, it's been 18 years since I was French.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Think it's time to start sales predictions. We know Sony has 1 million units for the european launch. For France, George Fornay said yesterday they received 60.000 reservations. What about other countries?

Lots of celebs at the Berlin event it seems...good way to draw the crowds in.

I really don't expect a lunch for the PS3 to be a failure, what sales it is able to sustain going forward is more important.

Joe211

DrXym said:
Got my PS3 last night. There were about 60 people waiting for one, so divide by 2 (since some people were with other people) and the store shifted at least 30 while I was there. Since I was #181 on the waiting list I expect they'll sell even more today and tomorrow.

And this was just a regional toystore, not some flagship event. I don't believe any trolls who claim the launch it was a washout. There was clearly a lot of sales and a lot more this weekend.

I would agree that the launch was muted - simply because there were enough PS3s for everyone so the hype and blind hysteria of other launches simply wasn't there. There just wasn't any point queuing up all day because the PS3s were all guaranteed and plentiful.

QFT Finally someone is speaking the truth

Launch in Paris was unsuccessful cause people who wanted the ps3 had already preordered it in store like Scoregames(ebgames) or Micromania

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Joe211 said:
QFT Finally someone is speaking the truth

Launch in Paris was unsuccessful cause people who wanted the ps3 had already preordered it in store like Scoregames(ebgames) or Micromania
That's true. But it's still a PR disaster for Sony. The sales may be good, but it terms of image it's an utter failure.

Top Bottom