• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 launch event in France: guess which troll is banned until the first price drop

XGoldenboyX

GET OVER IT XBOX Fanboys, take a cokie a nice glass of milk and go to bed.

Your only making yourselfs look silly with all these remarks.

Maldoror

Blimblim said:
That's true. But it's still a PR disaster for Sony. The sales may be good, but it terms of image it's an utter failure.

QFT. The only thing we'll remember about this launch is the Xboat. :)

Danj

Maldoror said:
The only thing we'll remember about this launch is the Xboat. :)

xboat.gif

definitely :lol

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Blimblim said:
That's true. But it's still a PR disaster for Sony. The sales may be good, but it terms of image it's an utter failure.
Just have a look at french press headlines this morning: it's scary to see words such as fiasco, failure, falldown associated with the PS3 launch. This machine NEEDS hype/positive coverage to overcome its price. So yeah, Sony's french marketing team seriously missed their goal.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
marc^o^ said:
Just have a look at french press headlines this morning: it's scary to see words such as fiasco, failure, falldown associated with the PS3 launch. This machine NEEDS hype/positive coverage to overcome its price. So yeah, Sony's french marketing team seriously missed their goal.
And sadly, it makes me kinda happy. I like the PS3 hardware and some of the games (mainly Motorstorm) a lot, but Sony France needed a good slap (or maybe a good punch in the face) and stop acting like they owned the country. France is Wii country now, so they better change their attitude.
I'm sure you marc^o^ already had to deal with some of their PR team, mainly one of them, and I don't know *anyone* who likes this guy. Anyone.

3rdman

Oh man....Where do I begin? It's been a really interesting thread to read...the Sony fans (at least some of them) seem t be losing it. The whole Xboat and Xchair thing was great and I didn't find it to be arrogant at all but rather playful. I especially liked the Xchair...that is the kind of stunt Sega would pull off in the old days like the golf ball swap...subtle. The Xboat was pretty much "in your face" but harmless nonetheless.

So, as I'm sure many have said before, Sony is doomed...they need to lower the price and pray that doing so doesn't send the wrong signal. Public perception can be fickle and a sudden price drop would only anger recent buyers and actually lessen its percieved value overall. In the end, I think you'll see lots of deals this X-Mas with pack-ins and bonuses and maybe 50 bucks off, but thats about it...all while fighting off Halo 3. I wish them luck.

Also on my mind, I recently re-visited Sega-Base and re-read some of the Saturn's history (both public and behind the scenes) and its eerily similiar to what is happening now with the PS3. Now before I get shitbaked, I'm not talking about sales or its quick demise...Its about perception, hardware choices, and price. There is a lesson to be learned there and (for the sake of their fans) I hope its not too late.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Blimblim said:
I'm sure you marc^o^ already had to deal with some of their PR team
I wish I worked in this industry but it's not the case. About the PR guy, well, after such a launch I expect some heads to fall, so you may soon get rid of him :lol .

jmdajr

fans go mild

man...

The launch of Sony's PlayStation 3 games console got off to a feeble start last night with officials, media and security outnumbering customers for most of the evening.

Over 500 retailers around the country threw open their doors as the clock struck 12:00am, expecting the frenzy that accompanied the games console's overseas debuts.

But most stores were virtually deserted, despite the 20,000 pre-orders Sony said it had received.

Even at the official launch event held at Myer's Pitt Street store in Sydney's CBD and attended by Sony's local managing director, Michael Ephraim, media and security outnumbered PS3 fans until at least 11:00pm.

At midnight, about 40 PS3 buyers had arrived to collect their consoles, causing distress for the army of camera crews who turned up expecting to capture launch mayhem.

Desperate producers unashamedly asked the crowd to fake excitement when the cameras were rolling, while a team from 2Day FM let out bogus cheers to convince their radio listeners that a launch extravaganza was underway.

The scene was a stark contrast to the US launch in November last year, where one man was shot by thieves and fights broke out over limited stock.

In Britain, where the PS3 was also launched today, two major Oxford Street stores in London - Game and HMV - cancelled their launch events amid police fears of muggings.

Danny Zarka, 31, was first in line to collect his PS3, which was handed to him personally by Mr Ephraim and Myer CEO Bernie Brookes.

The advertising executive from Pyrmont was shocked because he had arrived after 9pm, yet still found himself at the front of the queue.

"I'm surprised there aren't more people here, I thought the place would be packed," he said.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Pipomantis said:
I'm gonna sail a boat in front of your house and throw things at you Blim.

Be prepared.
Good luck with that, the nearest river is like 10 km away.
marc^o^ said:
I wish I worked in this industry but it's not the case. About the PR guy, well, after such a launch I expect some heads to fall, so you may soon get rid of him :lol .
Ho, I thought you worked for a french site. Nevermind!
As for getting rid of him, I doubt it will happen.

marc^o^ said:

Oh. You think it's the first sloppy thing they do ?
No no, heads don't fall up there.

Maldoror

Blimblim said:
but Sony France needed a good slap (or maybe a good punch in the face) and stop acting like they owned the country. France is Wii country now, so they better change their attitude.

It's true. Besides, This period is probably the worst for lauching a 600€ console! If only Sony hadn't missed Xmas...

besada

Banned
XGoldenboyX said:

I agree that someone's making themselves look silly.

hauton

I think GDC was too much good new for everyone to handle. Thus the belittling the PS3 launch is getting in this thread. Oh well, I'll wait until Monday to start talking.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
bouc_emissaire said:
In fact, France is PS2 country for the moment, that's why thye're so confident in the succes of the PS3.
Yeah of course, but the Wii is a very big success here. When even my parents and my brother hear about something, then you can be sure that it's popular.
In fact I saw my first available Wiis yesterday for the first time since christmas.

Evlar

Banned
Blimblim said:
Yeah of course, but the Wii is a very big success here. When even my parents and my brother hear about something, then you can be sure that it's popular.
In fact I saw my first available Wiis yesterday for the first time since christmas.
That's interesting... anyone else in Europe noticing more Wiis available the last few days?

CorwinB

The Sphinx said:
That's interesting... anyone else in Europe noticing more Wiis available the last few days?

A big shipment arrived at the Virgin Megastore at La Defense (business center near Paris) yesterday. If it goes like previous shipments, it won't be there this evening, though (will post an update if I've time to check this evening).

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I heard that there's this tape with all this weird clips and release footage from france. And if you watch it alone Phil Harrison will come to you in the next seven days when you least expect it and beg you to buy a PS3.

Photoshops = hilarious
MS crashing the party = hilarious

But...if this launch really was this awful, I (almost) feel bad for Sony. What the hell happened??!! The PS2 was also priced ridiculously high but that didn't stop Europe from buying them. When the Wii or Xbox360 launched, it was almost nowhere mentioned in the news (television, radio, newspapers, ...), while this PS3 launch is on every news channel. That shows how big the Sony brand is in Europe. So why is this launch such an unbelievable clusterfukc!!?? It's like Phil ran over everyone's dog or something.

psy18

ItsInMyVeins said:
I heard that there's this tape with all this weird clips and release footage from france. And if you watch it alone Phil Harrison will come to you in the next seven days when you least expect it and beg you to buy a PS3.

Will he crawl out of the TV?

Juice

The piss-poor PS3 performance elates me, but not for the reasons any of you described. I was just glad to see the completely delusional media hypetrain receive a swift kick in the ass as they're forced to reckon with the sales analysis powerhouse that is GAF.

And they still can`t keep their mouths shut. Another classic

Asked why Sony opted for the slightly peculiar price point of GBP 425 rather than rounding down past the psychological 400 barrier and going for GBP 399, Maguire said: "We did consider GBP 429, but we wanted to get the best for the consumer."

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
VanMardigan said:
I STILL can't figure out who's the poster in the title of the thread. :(

A mystery to us all (Well except the mods :))

Anyway, Chiltern FM (A local branch of Gcap Media, based in bedfordshire) are trying to give away some PS3s', either I am getting too cynical, or even they sound like they're having a hard time giving them away, heh.

Prine

Banned
XGoldenboyX said:

Yep, gonna do the sensible thing and boycott capcom

Top Bottom