• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Khaz

I think there can be some sync issues with the framemeister, since it doesnt run at exactly 60hz when modded (but 59. something).

The Framemeister shouldn't have any problem with that, considering it takes 50Hz without a hitch. However it will output the same sync upscaled, which some TVs can take issue with and produce a slight stuttering every second or so, most noticeable in scrolling backgrounds. The same problem would occur when modding an NTSC machine to play PAL games though, as the sync produced would be a multiple of the NTSC crystal, not a real PAL sync. The problem seem extremely rare though, so far I've only seen a single complaint about it. TVs, especially European ones, seem to have no problem handling various sync from 50 to 60 and anything in between.

y'all got that PSVR?

img_3931dvu23.jpg

Galdelico

Haha, that's great.

Also, gotta love that unique V.R. packaging, with the bulky frankencart and the glossy plastic film on the case.

And... Japanese Phantasy Star because of collection, or is the series actually playable in its Japanese version too?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The Framemeister shouldn't have any problem with that, considering it takes 50Hz without a hitch. However it will output the same sync upscaled, which some TVs can take issue with and produce a slight stuttering every second or so, most noticeable in scrolling backgrounds. The same problem would occur when modding an NTSC machine to play PAL games though, as the sync produced would be a multiple of the NTSC crystal, not a real PAL sync. The problem seem extremely rare though, so far I've only seen a single complaint about it. TVs, especially European ones, seem to have no problem handling various sync from 50 to 60 and anything in between.

Alright, thanks for correcting me!

y'all got that PSVR?

img_3931dvu23.jpg

The only PSVR for me :)

Haha, that's great.

Also, gotta love that unique V.R. packaging, with the bulky frankencart and the glossy plastic film on the case.

And... Japanese Phantasy Star because of collection, or is the series actually playable in its Japanese version too?

not my pic, lol just something from twitter
https://twitter.com/game_tanteidan/status/786405708212285441/photo/1

Personally, I have the M2 Phantasy Star compilation on PS2, which is bilingual. The only PS game I have on Genesis is PSIV.

Shaneus

y'all got that PSVR?

img_3931dvu23.jpg
My copy of VR is cactus, sadly :( Game will boot, but anything with 3D on it is scrambled to shit. Even the main menu appears okay, but when it does it's 3D rotating thing, it just messes up.

Pretty heartbroken about it TBH, but thankfully it doesn't seem like an expensive cart to re-buy, for some reason.

Galdelico

Sapiens

My copy of VR is cactus, sadly :( Game will boot, but anything with 3D on it is scrambled to shit. Even the main menu appears okay, but when it does it's 3D rotating thing, it just messes up.

Pretty heartbroken about it TBH, but thankfully it doesn't seem like an expensive cart to re-buy, for some reason.

It's always in abundant and cheap supply. They must have printed A LOT of copies - probably had a large minimum order of those samsung chips...

So, who here has played Midnight Resistance?

I think it looks pretty cool, but heard the controls can get weird when it comes to aiming(having to hold the B button down or something?).

Teknoman

The controls are strange, but its nice if you're looking for a decent run and gun on Genesis. Also its got a soundtrack by Hitoshi Sakimoto (of FF tactics / Ogre Battle fame).

September was Sub-Terrania, not sure if an October game was ever agreed on (but its a lil late for that too :p)

The controls are strange, but its nice if you're looking for a decent run and gun on Genesis. Also its got a soundtrack by Hitoshi Sakimoto (of FF tactics / Ogre Battle fame).

September was Sub-Terrania, not sure if an October game was ever agreed on (but its a lil late for that too :p)

Thanks for the quick response! Had no idea he did the soundtrack.

I could have sworn people nominated titles, but I guess somebody didn't put up the poll?

Edit: So of everyone's Genesis collections. what's the ratio of boxed games to cart only that you have?

I have 70 Genesis games and 42 of them are boxed. Some notable loose carts: Streets of Rage 1-3, Ristar, Splatter house 2 and 3, Dynamite Heddy :(

It would look so good on the shelf to have them all CIB haha.

Anybody ever just buy the generic cases and print out your own box art?

Morfeo

I just got my Mega Drive back a few days ago. After having been unable to play anything on it since BioHazard Battle, I am now ready for the club to get back on track. Any suggestions for november?

So of everyone's Genesis collections. what's the ratio of boxed games to cart only that you have?

Here's the full list of Genesis/CD/32X games I own. The only "loose" ones are Spider-Man (a friend gave it to me), T2: The Arcade Game (I got it from my uncle), and Sailor Moon (bought it loose for about $34, boxed is like $100)...though I gave them all boxes with printed out artwork. Star Wars Arcade came with my 32X when I bought it back in the day, so it doesn't have a proper box, especially since the cartridge doesn't fit in a Genesis case...though I do still have the 32X's box. I also have a loose Game Genie I bought for Japanese games.
Sega Genesis: 86 games

-6-Pak (Columns, Golden Axe, Revenge of Shinobi, Sonic the Hedgehog, Streets of Rage, Super Hang-On)
-After Burner
-Aladdin
-Alien 3
-Alisia Dragoon
-Ariel the Little Mermaid
-Alive
-Barkley: Shup Up and Jam!
-Batman Returns
-Beaty and the Beast: Belle's Quest
-Beaty and the Beast: Roar of the Beast
-Bio Hazard Battle
-Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (Mega Drive Japanese import)
-Burning Force
-Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
-Castlevania: Bloodlines
-Chakan
-Contra: Hard Corps
-Columns
-Cool Spot
-Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
-Dynamite Headdy
-Ecco the Dolphin
-Earthworm Jim
-Eternal Champions
-F22 Interceptor
-Flashback
-Gargoyles
-Gunstar Heroes
-Instruments of Chaos starring Young Indiana Jones
-James Pond II Codename: Robocod
-Joe & Mac
-Jurassic Park
-Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition
-The Jungle Book
-Justice League: Task Force
-King of the Monsters
-LHX Attack Chopper
-Madden NFL '94
-McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure
-Mortal Kombat
-Ms. Pac-Man
-NBA Action '94
-NBA Jam
-NHL 98
-NHL All-Star Hockey 95
-OutRun 2019
-Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures
-Pat Riley Basketball
-Pebble Beach Golf Links
-The Pirates of Dark Water
-Puyo Puyo (Mega Drive Japanese import)
-QuackShot starring Donald Duck
-Ranger X
-Road Rash
-Rocket Knight Adventures
-Shadow Dancer
-Shadow of the Beast
-Shanghai II: Dragon's Eye
-Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2
-Sonic the Hedgehog 3
-Sonic & Knuckles
-Sonic Spinball
-Spider-Man
-Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage
-Streets of Rage 2
-Sub-Terrania
-Super Baseball 2020
-Super Monaco GP
-T2: The Arcade Game
-Taz-Mania
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters
-Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure
-Triple Play Gold Edition
-Twin Cobra: Desert Attack Helicopter
-Urban Strike: The Sequel to Jungle Strike
-Wackly Worlds Creativity Studio
-Winter Challenge
-World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
-World Series Baseball '95
-X-Men
-X-Men 2: Clone Wars
-Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Sega CD: 18 games

-The Amazing Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin
-The Adventures of Batman & Robin
-Bouncers
-Corpse Killer
-Ecco the Dolphin: The Tides of Time
-Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side
-Jurassic Park
-Hook
-Mickey Mania
-Microcosm
-Rise of the Dragon
-Sewer Shark
-Silpheed
-Sonic the Hedgehog CD
-Soulfeace
-Soulstar
-Star Wars Rebel Assault
-Tomcat Alley

Sega 32X: 6 games

-Cosmic Carnage
-Doom
-Knuckles Chaotix
-Shadow Squadron
-Star Wars Arcade
-Virtua Racing Deluxe

Teknoman

Yeah let's get cracking on November list of nominations.

I'd like to toss Earthworm Jim 1 as mine. Also if someone could give me a crash course in creating a google vote thing, I'd be glad to do it now...unless Irish is gonna take the reigns?

Also Jake from State Farm is just on vacation or something right?

IrishNinja

^damn, good call...totally dropped the ball there! this is for november, yeah? i gotta think of a good nomination...tempted to say crackdown for now

Morfeo

I actually played some McDonalds Treasure Land Adventure yesterday, since I wasnt able to participate in august. And i dont know, I am a pretty big Treasure-fan, but this game was just not impressing at all. Only played the first level though. Should I continue? Was there any discussion about it at all?

I would like to nominate Shining in the Darkness for something different.

Teknoman

^damn, good call...totally dropped the ball there! this is for november, yeah? i gotta think of a good nomination...tempted to say crackdown for now

Yup but I know jack about google docs.

I actually played some McDonalds Treasure Land Adventure yesterday, since I wasnt able to participate in august. And i dont know, I am a pretty big Treasure-fan, but this game was just not impressing at all. Only played the first level though. Should I continue? Was there any discussion about it at all?

I would like to nominate Shining in the Darkness for something different.

Well the Moon stage is really cool, but it's kinda like... say a platinum licensed game, where they can't go full action crazy.

I think there's thermal paste inside between a metal cooling plate and the SVP chip. You could open it, wipe off the old paste with some alcohol then reapply some new paste! See if that works!

Edit: Here's a "how to" http://www.classicplastic.net/dvgi/editorials-davidvirtuaracing.html

I wonder if I should reapply some before it breaks by itself.

Khaz

I just noticed Krikzz modified his naming convention for his Megadrive Everdrives. Everything is so confusing now, especially in regards to the older models. I'm cool with my old original Mega Everdrive.

I just noticed Krikzz modified his naming convention for his Megadrive Everdrives. Everything is so confusing now, especially in regards to the older models. I'm cool with my old original Mega Everdrive.

If you go to the stoneagegamer product page each one has a table with a list of features for the x3, x5 and x7.

Chao

It says on the shop that mega everdrive and the x7 are essentially the same product

Teknoman

Crossposting:

Chapter 2 of Shining Force 1 now. I lost twice early on because of some stupid moves (and enemy double attacks occurring). Still wish RPGs from this era would give you item descriptions though. Unfortunately I dont have the manual, but dont really want to go scouring a faq either :p

At any rate, Gong is wrecking things, I thought Khris was an archer but was wrong, and is Nova some sort of dragon-guy?

Also whats with the hamster dude in chapter 1 that was near Gong's place? Says hes been waiting for me, but thats about it.

This just came in. Got it in a super cheap eBay auction:

I'm not even sure if it works but seller says it does. I'll have to find an ac adapter and av cables to find out. Oh and a game. I think I have a spare controller somewhere.

It has an ext. port. I've never seen a Megadrive with one before. Had to look it up to find out what it does. (Absolutely nothing unless you wanna hook up a modem.)

This was more of an impulse purchase so I wasn't thinking about it much, but I think this is a Megadrive with the better sound chip?

Did I do good, retroGAF?

IrishNinja

Crossposting:

Chapter 2 of Shining Force 1 now. I lost twice early on because of some stupid moves (and enemy double attacks occurring). Still wish RPGs from this era would give you item descriptions though. Unfortunately I dont have the manual, but dont really want to go scouring a faq either :p

At any rate, Gong is wrecking things, I thought Khris was an archer but was wrong, and is Nova some sort of dragon-guy?

Also whats with the hamster dude in chapter 1 that was near Gong's place? Says hes been waiting for me, but thats about it.

aw, look it up if you need to but don't forget Yogurt!

and yeah, early on Gong's solid, there's a few i struggled with after promoting (Zylo comes to mind) but you can't go wrong with much of the team, i wanna say. god, i love SF 1.

Gyrian

This just came in. Got it in a super cheap eBay auction:

It's an early Mega Drive, identified by the fact that it has the ® in the SEGA logo. Sound output should be rather fantastic. Make sure to show it some love! Maybe a little cleanup while the AC adapter shows up.

Wahoo!! It's gonna get sooooo much love. Can't wait to get a game in to try it. I grew up with a neighbour who owned a Mega Drive 2 and we used to always play Bare Knuckle together. That's the first game I'm gonna get and I'm sooo gonna savour that sweet, sweet Koshiro sound.

I actually have a Super Famicom AC adapter lying around so I used that to see if it powered on. Yep, LED lights up.

In the meantime I've taken it apart and cleaned it up so now it's shiny and looks new again! It's missing its expansion port cover though so I guess I have to be careful on that side until I can find a replacement. The contacts look like they were used so I guess the previous owner also had a Mega CD. Or I guess I can get a Mega CD instead of a cover...?

Oh no... down the rabbit hole I fall...

Morfeo

November's pretty close now, got anymore nominations coming?

What are the current nominees? I think i nominated Shining in the Darkness right? Also, I remember nominating Golvellius not that long ago, but cant remember if we ever voted on the ballot that was in.

Shaneus

It's an early Mega Drive, identified by the fact that it has the ® in the SEGA logo. Sound output should be rather fantastic. Make sure to show it some love! Maybe a little cleanup while the AC adapter shows up.
The black plastic on mine looks kind of grimey and gross. Is there a way to clean it up to an as-new sheen without damaging the plastic?

D.Lo

The black plastic on mine looks kind of grimey and gross. Is there a way to clean it up to an as-new sheen without damaging the plastic?
take it apart and wash the shell in the sink like dishes. Use a gentle scrubber pad, and cotton tips (yanks call them q-tips?) on the small crevices.

If it's just grime, it can look like new. There are usually scratches and grazes that come with grimy consoles though unfortunately.

And yeah it's the best sounding model of them all, except for the odd western game with extreme high gain, which it will distort slightly on the loud bits.

Shaneus

take it apart and wash the shell in the sink like dishes. Use a gentle scrubber pad, and cotton tips (yanks call them q-tips?) on the small crevices.

If it's just grime, it can look like new. There are usually scratches and grazes that come with grimy consoles though unfortunately.

And yeah it's the best sounding model of them all, except for the odd western game with extreme high gain, which it will distort slightly on the loud bits.
Awesome. Admittedly I've never cleaned it at all and didn't always take the best care of it, and am a little weary of paint of the gold on the lettering coming off. But I suppose if I'm fairly gentle with it, it should still come up fine without damaging it.

Besides q-tips, I also used a soft toothbrush dipped in warm water for those small grooves and crevices. Aside from some scratches, mine looks shiny and new now. Wondering if I can buff those scratches out though?

Teknoman

So far:

1. Earthworm Jim
2. Crackdown
3.Shining in the Darkness
4. ????
5. ????

I'd like to have had Ristar in the running just in case it won (want to play it too) but it just edges out the 30 dollar limit...unless alot of us already have Ristar?

IrishNinja

man, people swear by Ristar, but i've never given it a fair shake. it's not often i'm in the mood for a platformer, but next time it is (and i'm not just replaying an old sonic game) this is gonna be it!

Top Bottom