• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Gold & Pokemon Silver Virtual Console |OT| The Nostalgia Is Crystal Clear

I was really really down on Sun/Moon to the point where I didn't want to give GameFreak any more money... but I caved and bought Silver since it's my favourite gen and I can bring them into whatever Gen 8 happens to be on Switch hopefully.

The big thing I'm taking away is how much I miss the different sprites that each game used to have. Some of the sprites in these games have so much more personality. I mean, look at this guy:

079.png

I've never been a huge Slowpoke fan but that sprite made me fall in love and use him in this playthrough.

I would hope that GF would stop focusing on terrible and poorly implemented "Innovations" like pokepelago, pokefinder or ride pokemon and just put more effort into making the pokemon have different stances or animations. I know it's a lot of work but now that they don't have to re-draw the sprites since they have such detailed models it would go a long way to breathing life back into these games.

I too wish they'd focus more on more unique animations for pokemon and especially the animations during battle. I'd happily give up stuff like pokepelago for it. I mostly just try that stuff out once and move on when I realize it isn't any fun. Like the crap pokemon snap wannabe minigame in sun and moon? Completely forgettable. Why waste resources?

Arcia

Banned
Would a Pidgey be a good temp flying Pokémon or should I go with Hoothoot?

Pidgey and its line will be stronger with flying attacks, but Hoothoot and Noctowl have more fun utility moves like Hypnosis. If you stick with Noctowl to the end it gets dreameater too which is awesome, but you said temp so Pidgey is probably better for now.

Edit: and Spearow is even better, highest attack power

dyreschlock

Curious about something... Shouldn't the Pokemon cloning glitch make an exact copy of the Pokemon you're trying to clone?

I just got the Headbutt TM. I stuffed it on my Quilava and cloned it, so I would still have another one after I used it. The resulting cloned Quilava still has the same ID, but the stats are a little different. The new one has +1 HP and +1 Special Attack. Probably some other smaller changes, too.

Anyone know why this is the case?

I too wish they'd focus more on more unique animations for pokemon and especially the animations during battle. I'd happily give up stuff like pokepelago for it. I mostly just try that stuff out once and move on when I realize it isn't any fun. Like the crap pokemon snap wannabe minigame in sun and moon? Completely forgettable. Why waste resources?

Ehhh, why not both?

Pelago has been a godsend this gen when you want to EV train a poke. And that berry garden plus treasure hunt for stones? It's an amazing addition.

Elider

Curious about something... Shouldn't the Pokemon cloning glitch make an exact copy of the Pokemon you're trying to clone?

I just got the Headbutt TM. I stuffed it on my Quilava and cloned it, so I would still have another one after I used it. The resulting cloned Quilava still has the same ID, but the stats are a little different. The new one has +1 HP and +1 Special Attack. Probably some other smaller changes, too.

Anyone know why this is the case?

EVs are applied in the PC, so your original Quilava should get the same stats if you deposit and withdraw it.

sgjackson

currently at lake of rage. team is quilava, croconaw, flaaffy, miltank, alakazam and golem between 25 and 27. the fact that the worst dudes on my team currently are the starters is entirely hilarious to me.

miltank is fucking crazy - fast, tough, hits hard enough, learns shadow ball to dick over psychics and ghosts, and heals with milk drink. zam is obviously great but my favorite thing about this run is the appreciation i'm developing for my silly pink cow.

Theorymon

So I did something really crazy: I traded a Ho-Oh from Pokemon Blue to Silver!

Yeah you may be thinking: "wtf, how did you have a Ho-Oh in gen 1?!"

I'll explain by copy + pasting my Smogon post :p

I have tried my mad scientist experiment: I managed to trade a Ho-Oh from Pokemon Blue to Silver! Here's some photo proof:

So the jist of what I did was: I used 8f to catch a Missingno. with the same index number as Ho-Oh in GSC. Then I used 8f to change the Missingno.'s typing to Fire / Flying (otherwise Pokemon Silver would reject it). I even used 8f to give it the glitch move equivalent of Sacred Fire (TM21) and to make it shiny!

It worked perfectly. I tried to do the same with Lugia, but since Lugia's Missingno. constantly changes types, Silver rejected it. Still, I got Ho-Oh over, and I taught my old 18 year old Porygon and Scyther from Yellow (another long story, the Yellow on my VC is my original save from when I was a child) Curse via 8f as well!

So yeah, you can break the hell out of gen 2 with the time capsule lol. Funnily enough, my Ho-Oh was holding a Carbos, likely based off of Missingno.s catch rate.

Here's the beauty right here!

WVW69kqG1RwD7bBQD7

Pidgey and its line will be stronger with flying attacks, but Hoothoot and Noctowl have more fun utility moves like Hypnosis. If you stick with Noctowl to the end it gets dreameater too which is awesome, but you said temp so Pidgey is probably better for now.

Edit: and Spearow is even better, highest attack power
Thanks! Is Spearow in Gold or will I have to somehow trade with my Silver version?

I have tried my mad scientist experiment: I managed to trade a Ho-Oh from Pokemon Blue to Silver! Here's some photo proof:

So the jist of what I did was: I used 8f to catch a Missingno. with the same index number as Ho-Oh in GSC. Then I used 8f to change the Missingno.'s typing to Fire / Flying (otherwise Pokemon Silver would reject it). I even used 8f to give it the glitch move equivalent of Sacred Fire (TM21) and to make it shiny!

It worked perfectly. I tried to do the same with Lugia, but since Lugia's Missingno. constantly changes types, Silver rejected it. Still, I got Ho-Oh over, and I taught my old 18 year old Porygon and Scyther from Yellow (another long story, the Yellow on my VC is my original save from when I was a child) Curse via 8f as well!

So yeah, you can break the hell out of gen 2 with the time capsule lol. Funnily enough, my Ho-Oh was holding a Carbos, likely based off of Missingno.s catch rate.

WVW69kqG1RwD7bBQD7
I really want a shiny Ho-Oh. Is this method kind of simple enough or is it extremely complex for a guy like me who only did things as far as the Mew glitch in Yellow and the starter trio in this game? Will it even be possible to transfer it to US/UM?

Wow at that Trainer OT name!

Theorymon

Thanks! Is Spearow in Gold or will I have to somehow trade with my Silver version?

I really want a shiny Ho-Oh. Is this method kind of simple enough or is it extremely complex for a guy like me who only did thing as far as the Mew glitch in Yellow and the starter trio in this game? Will it even be possible to transfer it to US/UM?

Wow at that Trainer OT name!

Honestly, explaining the whole process in detail might take a while. 8f is a crazy glitch item that allows you to execute arbitrary code via the use of items and very specific party of Pokemon (including a Pidgey with a specific HP stat). It's a lot more complicated than the Mew glitch stuff tbh...

But since you want that shiny Ho-Oh, I'll find some time to explain it later!

EDIT: Oh since you have Yellow version, you'd have to get the glitch item Ws m. I heard that's a lot riskier and can corrupt save files compared to RB's 8f however...

Arcia

Banned

Its in both versions, you can get it as early as route 46 which is right above the first route in the game (only during morning or day though).

Or headbutt almost any tree in the game and it will fall out, at night it will even be asleep if my childhood memories are right lol

Gold and Silver are up there for the worst distribution of Pokemon in the series. Distribution in the sense that you're going to encounter the same handful of Pokemon route after route while all the cool new Pokemon are hiding behind dumb mechanics like swarms and headbutt trees, require items you can only get at late game, and straight up being unavailable until you reached Kanto. Its awful.

This was mostly fixed in Crystal but Mareep is unavailable in that game so it goes straight to the trash.

I forgot just how much I loved Gen 2 pokemon. I'm trying to figure out a decent team but I feel like every pokemon I'd like is rather far off. Is there any decent way to find a Teddiursa or Sneasel early on?

Delio

On the way to Ice Path now and here is the crew

160.gif
Level 35 Icepunch/Strength/Surf/Bite
126.gif
Level 35 Sunny Day/T.punch/F.Punch/Smog
64.gif
Level 35 All three punches/Psybeam
234.gif
Level 33 Return/rest is filler atm.

The rest are filler/HM users. Been a breeze so far. Kadabra/Magmar make such short work of things and now with Return Stantler is becoming a wrecking ball.

Honestly, explaining the whole process in detail might take a while. 8f is a crazy glitch item that allows you to execute arbitrary code via the use of items and very specific party of Pokemon (including a Pidgey with a specific HP stat). It's a lot more complicated than the Mew glitch stuff tbh...

But since you want that shiny Ho-Oh, I'll find some time to explain it later!

EDIT: Oh since you have Yellow version, you'd have to get the glitch item Ws m. I heard that's a lot riskier and can corrupt save files compared to RB's 8f however...
That would be awesome thanks! I'd love to have a shiny Ho-Oh in my Gold! But it does sound like a challenge haha!

I do have Yellow but I have been planning on buying either Red or Blue just for kicks.
Its in both versions, you can get it as early as route 46 which is right above the first route in the game (only during morning or day though).

Or headbutt almost any tree in the game and it will fall out, at night it will even be asleep if my childhood memories are right lol
Oh you mean that little patch of green behind the building that should technically lead to Blackthorn City but is blocked by ledges? I always forget about that place!

Danielsan

So I was wondering, is there any way to trade with yourself if you only own a 3DS and a DS? I want to evolve my Scyther into Scizor, but sadly I don't have any local friends with the game.

Kanto and RED done!

Final team:

Ampharos lvl 52
Lugia lvl 46
Alakazam lvl 46
Feraligatr lvl 49

Final time: 10:09

I had a good time with this. I'm in for another round if we get Crystal. There's a couple other Pokemon I would like to try to make a team around.

SaviourMK2

How does the trading work in Gold/Silver?
Can I trade from my Blue version on the same system, or am i expected to have another 3DS?

Kanto and RED done!

Final team:

Ampharos lvl 52
Lugia lvl 46
Alakazam lvl 46
Feraligatr lvl 49

Final time: 10:09

I had a good time with this. I'm in for another round if we get Crystal. There's a couple other Pokemon I would like to try to make a team around.

Jesus Christ! It took me 10 hours just to beat Morty.

Jesus Christ! It took me 10 hours just to beat Morty.

I did go through everything at a brisk pace, especially Kanto. But I could easily have gone much faster, my battle animations were on the entire time.

It's possible to go way faster still too, the current world record for GS is 3:18:34.

How are people getting Alakazam and other Pokemon you need to trade to get?

I have two 3ds but I imagine I would need to buy two copies of the game just to get an Alakazam? Would be a shame

Damn it.. screw Monster Hunter Stories. I'll pick this up tomorrow when I go out. Is there a way to evolve trade Pokémon without actually trading them?

eefara

I was under the impression that it was local only; checked the virtual manual to be sure, and it didn't really specify either way. I have traded locally with my roommate, though, and just based on the interface it seemed like it was local only.

If anyone has any info otherwise, though, I'm all ears.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Would a Pidgey be a good temp flying Pokémon or should I go with Hoothoot?

Hoothoot is the better Pokémon as they have broader move set than the Pidgey line.

I was really really down on Sun/Moon to the point where I didn't want to give GameFreak any more money... but I caved and bought Silver since it's my favourite gen and I can bring them into whatever Gen 8 happens to be on Switch hopefully.

The big thing I'm taking away is how much I miss the different sprites that each game used to have. Some of the sprites in these games have so much more personality. I mean, look at this guy:

079.png

I've never been a huge Slowpoke fan but that sprite made me fall in love and use him in this playthrough.

I would hope that GF would stop focusing on terrible and poorly implemented "Innovations" like pokepelago, pokefinder or ride pokemon and just put more effort into making the pokemon have different stances or animations. I know it's a lot of work but now that they don't have to re-draw the sprites since they have such detailed models it would go a long way to breathing life back into these games.

Have you ever used Pokémon Refresh? The Pokémon animation there give them personality.

WVW69kqG1RwD7bBQD7

Interesting, I guess that's why they made transfer one way rather.

Damn it.. screw Monster Hunter Stories. I'll pick this up tomorrow when I go out.

Ha ha, I see that you're reaching your breaking point.

Is there a way to evolve trade Pokémon without actually trading them?

Nope.

Oh shit... this isn't local multiplayer only? So I can likely find a kind GAFer to help me out when the time comes?

It's local multiplayer only.

I just realized something:

If it's super easy to clone Pokemon in this game, then you could also clone the items they hold too 😈

jwhit28

Gold and Silver are up there for the worst distribution of Pokemon in the series. Distribution in the sense that you're going to encounter the same handful of Pokemon route after route while all the cool new Pokemon are hiding behind dumb mechanics like swarms and headbutt trees, require items you can only get at late game, and straight up being unavailable until you reached Kanto. Its awful.

This was mostly fixed in Crystal but Mareep is unavailable in that game so it goes straight to the trash.

Going back to it, gen 2 evolutionary lines are kind of weak. I forgot how many were fixed in later generations.

The slots in Goldenrod are just the worst. I think it may just be better to buy the coins for the prizes you want. Sure, I got jackpot 3 times, but it's not enough for anything worthwhile.

ASaiyan

Banned
So I must've spent literally three hours headbutting trees, and not one blessed Heracross. I give up, lol. Who should I replace a cool Bug/Fighting type with?

So I get sent to sleep for 5 turns, then 3 turns (fortunately all gastly can do to Hoothoot here is spite and hypnosis).
Then zubat comes out, immediately hits supersonic, makes me flinch 4 turns straight with bite and THEN I finally punch myself into fainting....

This may actually be my peak RNG bullshit in a Pokemon game, ya know outside battle towers and their in built boolsheeet.
It's not even a fight you can win rival but it's the principle!

Top Bottom