• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Left 4 Dead fans, what's new?

Keinning

that new game with an old english aesthetic and tribals/voodoo stuff (forgot the name) looked like L4D for me

but it might end up being nothing like it so eh

tesqui

Every year at some point I have an itch to go back and play a few of the campaigns. What a great series

Also there have been quite a few rumors and leaks about L4D3. Maybe they're still working on it? Because it has potential to be loaded with micro transactions, I could see them still have interest in making it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
that new game with an old english aesthetic and tribals/voodoo stuff (forgot the name) looked like L4D for me

but it might end up being nothing like it so eh

That sounds incredibly interesting. I wonder what it might be called. Anyone know?

THIS SOUNDS AWESOM--

smhp.gif

And I've completely lost interest.

It's like Diablo loot, only you get it at the end of a level. Random chance to get a different weapon type, better variations of your current weapon, or trinkets with unique effects. Keep in mind that you don't really need any of the better loot to beat the game, even on harder difficulty levels. Kind of designed to keep you playing since there's no PvP in the game, and you can ONLY earn loot through gameplay.

It's not like CS:GO/Overwatch microtransaction-oriented "loot", if that's what you were thinking.

Blugrass

Man I would kill for L4D3...I remember there was a leak like two years ago of it with Source 2 or something like that...what the frick are they up to...

How fucking amazing does THAT look?! Never heard of it before now, but a definite buy.
Well hoe-lee shit. Count me in for insta buy as well, even with no actual gameplay from that trailer it looks like it could be a hoot

Edit- ok tuned down to maybe buy. It's third person, which I don't mind...but....I really want that fps experience with these types of games. Developer commentary with gameplay.

Arulan

It's some of the best co-op I've ever played, and it's a fantastic example of the value of mods. My friends and I played for years, and just about every other night we would play a new user-created campaign. The amount of quality content to be found is insane.

Bluth54

Valve should just port L4D2 to the new gen consoles.

Given some of the comments Gabe Newell has made about being unhappy with companies that run other platforms restricting them from updating their products whenever they want I seriously doubt we'll ever see another Valve game on consoles.

It seems like the don't even like the restrictions on updates for the Apple and Android app store but they need to have the Steam app on those because the Steam app is used for account security.

Try Dying Light. Its an open world game but it has great combat, great coop multiplayer and an good story. Early game you use melee weapons a ton but later in you'll get some good guns and fairly plentiful ammo.

D3VI0US

Wasn't there that game with Aliens that's supposed to be like L4D? It was at PAX a year or two ago. My problem with all these L4D clones is that none of them focus on Versus which was the best mode in that game, especially playing as the zombies and shutting down the survivors with a well coordinated assault. My favorite series of last gen, I don't understand how Valve can't see value in releasing a new one with streaming, VR, and all the other shit we have now.

bosseye

I love L4D2 (and L4D), so much fun. Especially playing as the special infected. The levels were so atmospheric, my mate and I used to have an absolute blast.

That level where it starts in the rain and you have to make it to the gas station to get fuel for the boat, then come back the same way but now it's all flooded so you need to stick to the rooftops....just perfect.

cabot

Wasn't there that game with Aliens that's supposed to be like L4D? It was at PAX a year or two ago. My problem with all these L4D clones is that none of them focus on Versus which was the best mode in that game, especially playing as the zombies and shutting down the survivors with a well coordinated assault. My favorite series of last gen, I don't understand how Valve can't see value in releasing a new one with streaming, VR, and all the other shit we have now.

Yes to all of this.

I'm also really annoyed they haven't even bothered to update the core game of L4D2, like their other games. Update the matchmaking, make it more seamless. It runs fairly poorly these days.

wipeout364

Vermintide is pretty close. I actually find Space Hulk: Deathwing even closer to left for dead as it focuses on gunplay where vermintide is almost all melee. Only problem with Space Hulk: Deathwing is the low player base.

I moved to Vermintide and Killing Floor 2, however I only play Killing floor 2 now, even though its not the same formula as L4D, its the only "infected" game I think its worth playing, its incredibly fun and looks quite amazing.

As someone who loved (and still loves) L4D and would buy it again if it came out for PS4, you could try Fortnite which is really recent.

It has that 4 guys in a team agains't a horde of zombies feeling.

Open world type of maps and base building though, not the L4D corridors trough town, unfortunately.

I like Warhammer
I like Left 4 Dead

I played the demo for Vermintide and I dunno... I want to like it. I played the demo and my initial reaction was NO THANKS. But how can that be, I like all the elements that make the game, why am I turned off. So I rented the full game. NO THANKS was my reaction again.

Something about the game doesn't sit well with me. All the game did was make me long for Left 4 Dead 3 more. Turtle Rock save us!

alexbull_uk

Check out Warhammer: Vermintide, perhaps? It's the only other game I can think of that's like L4D2. It's got a lot stronger focus on melee though.

I’d never heard of this, but it looks great. Did it have pretty much no marketing or something? Might have to pick it up.

Aliens Colonial Marines had a L4D like co op mode that was pretty dang fun. The game overall isn't near as bad as everyone made it out to be.

I just keep playing L4D2. I think it's now my most played game ever, of all time, ever, in the history of the world, of ALL TIME, EVER!

But yeah we need that sequel. Can't even imagine it with the hardware that's available now. I'm envisioning RE7-level graphics/atmosphere with the same core gameplay that made the series great. Let's go.

joe2187

Banned
It's like Diablo loot, only you get it at the end of a level. Random chance to get a different weapon type, better variations of your current weapon, or trinkets with unique effects. Keep in mind that you don't really need any of the better loot to beat the game, even on harder difficulty levels. Kind of designed to keep you playing since there's no PvP in the game, and you can ONLY earn loot through gameplay.

It's not like CS:GO/Overwatch microtransaction-oriented "loot", if that's what you were thinking.

Im just tired of loot games, I dont want to grind for shit....and then when i join a party they are also trying to specfically grind for shit as well and it ruins my enjoyment of the game.

I hate it so much, it's what made me despise borderlands so much. And the Monster Hunter games.

cHinzo

Although not a first person shooter like Left 4 Dead, I would say Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop captures the co-op gameplay nicely, but from a top down perspective. Try to reach the end of a map, while doing objectives inside the level and holding off the enemies. It's free to play, so try it out with some friends on PC.

For the PC players of Left 4 Dead 2 who haven't done any custom campaigns yet, u guys have missed out on two of the most amazing campaigns the game has to offer. These campaigns contain lots of surprising elements and challenges and has some really original levels with a kind of Portal feel to it. Try them out if u feel the itch to play Left 4 Dead 2 again. Just need to subscribe to the Steam Workshop and it will automatically download the campaign for u to play in the game.

Campaign 1: Questionable Ethics
Campaign 2: Questionable Ethics: Alpha Test

It is recommended to play the campaigns in order and with friends. :>

I moved to Vermintide and Killing Floor 2, however I only play Killing floor 2 now, even though its not the same formula as L4D, its the only "infected" game I think its worth playing, its incredibly fun and looks quite amazing.

I was sad when my 360 went down as it was the last option I had to play L4D 1&2. Nowadays I get my fix from Killing Floor 2, and have been having a great time with it. Though it doesn't quench OP's main thirst (point-to-point, safe house to safe house instead of wave-based) it is incredibly fun. I also appreciate the customization that KF2 provides with selecting and leveling up different classes. Each class plays differently for the most part and the gunplay feels great to me. Plenty of big guns to choose from. Melee is a little weak (though I am working through the Berzerker class now and it's growing on me) but other than that it's a good time. Especially with friends, the same as L4D. Even has a PVP mode like L4D.

But damn, yeah I sure do miss L4D.

Messiek

It's quite obvious that valve is developing all the sequels we want, to release them in a new orange box...
There's no chance this is happening in any universe timeline.

Top Bottom