• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Your Favorite SP/MP FPS Of All-Time?

Gorillaz

Rough all around I liked CoD4 the most as a full package along with TF2.

MW2 would have taken the crown easy if IW didn't have that fall out and balanced some things out. Halo 2 gets some love too.

Cramoss

It is between Unreal Tournament, Half Life 2, FEAR and Perfect Dark for me

It's one of those but I can't pick just one right now

Halo 3 is my favorite SP and MP FPS of all time.

I think my second pick would be Halo Reach.

EDIT: Damn, Halo Reach was ridiculous! For multiplayer I would say it's between Halo 3 and Halo Reach, Firefight is amazing! But Halo 3 is home to some of my favorite Halo maps like Guardian so I would pick that overall just because of the maps I like. Otherwise, if they were in Reach I would say Reach. Both games have my favorite multiplayer maps in the whole series.

For single player I think I would say Halo 3, although Halo Reach's campaign was exceptional.

EDIT 2: You know what, I take it back. Halo Reach is my favorite SP and MP FPS of all time. Halo 3 is my second pick. I put Reach over 3 because of the Multiplayer.

EDIT 3: No, Halo 3 is favorite SP and MP FPS of all time. Halo Reach is a close second though.

Rockk

SP - Doom 2. If we want to include fanmade Doom wads then Ancient Aliens by Skillsaw and Sunder by Insane Gazebo are some of my favorite video game related things of all time. Honestly there's a lot of good custom stuff that I would rank higher than most FPS post 2000
MP - Team Fortress 2 or Quake 3. The movement in these game is impeccable. I enjoy the 1v1 aspect of Quake 3 but the balance of TF2's ability to make huge plays but also require good team work is unmatched imo.

Jigorath

Banned
Halo 3 is my favorite FPS of all time.

I lost count of the number of times I played through the campaign, or the ridiculous amount of hours I spent in matchmaking.

I doubt Halo will ever be that good again.

Prophane33

Single Player: CoD: BlackOps; Doom 3 (honorable mention: Halo 2 or 3)
Multiplayer: Unreal Tournament; Battlefield 4 (honorable mention: Titanfall 2)

bede-x

Best singleplayer: Goldeneye/Perfect Dark
Best multiplayer: Halo 2
Best co-op: Earth Defense Force 4.1 (though technically TPS the majority of the time)

Halo 1 & 3 are also very good in multi/co-op categories. Serious Sam First + Second Encounter and Gears of War 1-3 (though also TPS) are honorable co-op mentions.

Edit: Disregard my previous reply. I can't believe I forgot about Destiny. I have put over 1000 hours into it which is by far the most time I've put into a single game.

Literally the only FPS where I've enjoyed both the single-player and multiplayer is Goldeneye, and I don't know that it would make my top 5 for either at this point. So I'll just say that the factors that make something a good single-player game are completely different from the factors that make something a good multiplayer game, and trying to excel at both usually ends in mediocrity at both. Goldeneye (and to a lesser extent Perfect Dark) was really ahead of its time, to be fair.

Halo CE for SP

BF Bad Company 1/2 for MP

Kinda strange to type this out as I don't partake in both games/franchises any longer. I also doubt they will ever be replaced, the right time and place and all that jazz.

OBias

Try to pick a title that doesn't just offer both, but excels at both.

Well, I loved the deathmatch in Half-Life back when I was playing at cybercafes, so I guess I'm going to pick this game.

SP only: Half-Life 2
MP only: Unreal Tournament 1999

the greatest game of all time. thats right, i said it
228658-battlefield-bad-company-2-xbox-360-front-cover.jpg

I enjoyed the 1st Borderlands a lot, so we'll go with that. I exclusively played single player and it really scratched the loot-finding itch.

Don't enjoy traditional multiplayer FPS's, so nothing on that front.

Sojiro

SP only: Half Life 1 and 2
MP only: Quake Wars: Enemy Territory, Unreal Tournament 99 & 2K4 (technically UT has a SP, but it's basically the MP with bots), Overwatch
Both: Halo PC, Timesplitters 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, GoldenEye 64

RTCW. Excellent sp, best online multiplayer i've ever played

My man! RTCW is not getting no where near enough mention in this thread!

rfield84

Banned
SP: Titanfall 2 - Titanfall 2's level design was just fantastic and innovative to me! The SP campaign just blew me away and really stuck with me! MP was pretty great, although I didn't stick around for more than a few months :(

MP: BF4 - I honestly just started playing MP games last fall, and I got BF4 after trying the BF1 beta. It has been my best and funnest time sink. I've put over 200 hrs now on it. Unlocking all the weapons and trying out different playstyles and maps has been wonderful.

Nameless

SP - Metroid Prime/Deus Ex/Riddick Butcher Bay/Halo 3/Titanfall 2

MP - Battlefield 2/Bad Company 2/Unreal Tournament/Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

Matty77

Halo combat evolved and while a lot of people didn't like it I really enjoyed reach too.

I don't play much multiplayer other than those two and when I do it's usually Co-op, the only other game I sunk as much time into competitive multiplayer as the campaign is Return to castle Wolfenstein so I guess that is an honorable mention.

Woorloog

Banned
Overall, Halo 3.

As single player goes, i prefer Halo 2 really.

Unfortunately they don't make them like they used to...

Top Bottom