• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Your Favorite SP/MP FPS Of All-Time?

Drewfonse

I say SP/MP because most FPS are known for one or the other. Or they might have just SP or MP.

Try to pick a title that doesn't just offer both, but excels at both. The list just got really short....

My top 2 are Call of Duty 4 and Titanfall 2. If I had to pick just one, I would get a stomach ache, but eventually I'd choose
Titanfall 2
. It's just a masterclass of great, to the point SP, no fluff, and utterly addictive MP with the best movement system ever.

What's yours?

This answer is dodging the spirit of the question in more ways than one, but I'd say Portal 2 for the single-player and co-op campaigns.

(I don't actually like FPS.)

Bioshock and bad company 2

Gotta say though R6S is creeping up fast to replace BC2 as my fave MP game.

Oh shit for both? Then I would say Halo 3.

Tawpgun

Single Player... hmm.. I'm going to assume this means actually single player because if its co-op then my answer changes. I gotta say, Titanfall 2 really stuck with me. Just a really fun, varied, short and sweet romp.

Multiplayer: Halo, lets just say all of them. Such great times, nothing comes close.

Danneee

MP is either Battlefield 4 or Bad Company 2. Sunk so much time into those two.
SP is Half Life 1 or FEAR 1/2. Really like FEAR 2 as it's the closest thing we'll get to a Akira action game.

Laiza

I guess Goldeneye at the time certainly would have qualified. Not so much today, but there was nothing else quite like it back then. It made for some great fun at parties.

In modern times? I don't play many first-person shooters anymore. Just not my favorite genre. Maybe Titanfall 2 would have qualified... y'know, had I actually been interested enough to buy and play it. But I wasn't, and I'm not, so, eh.

Drewfonse

Bioshock and bad company 2

Gotta say though R6S is creeping up fast to replace BC2 as my fave MP game.

Oh shit for both? Then I would say Halo 3.

It's amazing. If it had a compelling SP mode, it would be a toss up with the titles I mentioned and Siege. Amazing game.

Syf

Banned
MP - Left 4 Dead
SP - Doom (2016)

Left 4 Dead remains the shooter with the most staying power for me. I only stopped playing because my friends moved on to other games. Just hope L4D3 is a thing that's happening someday.

And Doom because the gameplay. Fast, fun, brutal. Love that whole campaign.

For both though.. I guess I would go with Titanfall 2. Does a very good job of both modes, I only wish it were a bit more active online on PC.

Single player is tough to call. Halo: CE, DOOM (old and new), Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Titanfall 2 are all fantastic.

MP's gotta be Shadowrun. One of the most criminally underrated games out there. Teleport is the best FPS movement mechanic ever, and the maps are perfectly engineered around it.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Halo
Bad Company 2
Cod 2,4, WAW, MW2
Medal Of Honor Allied Assault

There's not many games apart from those that are FPS andEXCEL at both

Mohasus

I've played quite a few FPS campaigns but I can't think of one that I really enjoyed.

On the other hand, MP is tied between Quake 2 and UT99.

joecanada

SP: probably the only one I ever played through - Resistance 2, the different weapons made it. coop was fun too.

MP: Normally I'd say cod4 because it got me back in ... but BFBC 2 is probably the most eye opening experience I had coming from corridor heaven cod4...... BF3 is the most fun I ever had with my brother in law weekly stomps on private servers getting banned. people who own servers hate to lose.

Raptomex

The only answer is Doom II: Hell on Earth. Aged well, still fun, excellent single player. It still does have an active multiplayer but mods are what's keeping it alive even to this day. Multiplayer was pretty awesome back in its prime, though. Makes me wish I worked in an office in the 90's. Sadly, I was around 5 or 6 when this came out. Classic Doom games will never die.

I rarely buy or play games just for the multiplayer.

I don't really play MP (let alone MP FPS) so will just say for SP, and that would probably be Bioshock or Bioshock 2. I loved the premise, story, world, and ideas (plasmids, ADAM) of the first game, and the second wasn't quite as good with the story (nor did it have the "this is new" factor, but the gameplay was a bunch nicer (and letting you be a Big Daddy was a nice touch.

Still need to do a playthrough of the both of them (and Infinite) on PS3 this year for the trophies.

Breakaway

Killzone 2 and 3. Solid campaigns and tons of fun with the multiplayer, even though I don't play much multiplayer at all. The only shooters I put nearly as much time into were Crysis and Halo 3.

Sephzilla

Halo_-_Combat_Evolved_%28XBox_version_-_box_art%29.jpg

woopWOOP

Nowadays I pretty much play purely MP FPS games.

So I'll go with classic Perfect Dark (N64) as one that I think (still) excels at both.

Fun variations in objectives for the singleplayer missions, as well as the wacky co-op and "player 2 as enemy" modes if those count. It's the last FPS game where I spent so much time on the singleplayer.
It was also the main multiplayer game whenever our group came together to play some games pre-internet. The insane amount of options made every session different in some way. Good times were had.

Both?

Goldeneye and Halo CE.

Tempted to say RTCW but I don't think the single player can be considered a classic even though I enjoyed it.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
To specifically answer your question OP, Halo 3 is one of the obvious choices, and it happens to be one of my favorite games :)

Near perfection in the single player/co-op campaign, and also in the multiplayer :)

yVm3Jls.jpg

Ein Bear

I sometimes feel a bit sad knowing that no game will ever make me as happy as Halo 2 did when I was 14 and system linking with my friends.

Ladekabel

Probably Halo: Reach.

Liked the campaign and Swat is probably my favorite multiplayer mode ever. Especially Pistols only.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
To specifically answer your question OP, Halo 3 is one of the obvious choices, and it happens to be one of my favorite games :)

Near perfection in the single player/co-op campaign, and also in the multiplayer :)

yVm3Jls.jpg

My pick as well.

It's a tie between Halo 3, Call of Duty: World At War and Titanfall.

If I had to pick just one, Halo 3. No game holds as many memories to me.

Top Bottom