• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors/Actresses who were robbed of an Oscar

finley83

Banned
Jeff Goldblum should absolutely have won for The Fly. Incredible performance. I think the Academy hates horror movies though, although personally I'd class it as a tragic romance.

The+Wrestler+Mickey+Rourke.jpg

Without a doubt, the biggest one in my lifetime is Mickey Rourke in the Wrestler.

Ridley327

But it was absolutely spot on for the character.

Do people have a violent allergy to southern accents? The movie ends with archival interviews with Desmond Doss, and he sounds just like the Virginia boy that Garfield's performance suggested.

Hell, I used to work with a Virginia native and his drawl was just as thick.

Surfside

Banned
I think Samuel L Jackson should have won an academy award for his role in Django Unchained. I feel his performance here is the highlight of his career, even surpassing his role in Pulp Fiction for me.

No idea how Casey Affleck won best actor over Andrew Garfield this year. Garfield in Hacksaw Ridge was beyond insane.

He probably didnt win because of either his accent of the over the top violence in the movie.

Which is hilarious, since his accent was spot on amd if anything they toned down the violence from that battle as it earned the name hacksaw ridge for a reason.

EVO

I think Samuel L Jackson should have won an academy award for his role in Django Unchained. I feel his performance here is the highlight of his career, even surpassing his role in Pulp Fiction for me.

I thought he was better in Hateful 8.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jim Carrey not getting an Oscar for "The Truman Show" is an absolute travesty. He was amazing. Didn't even get a freaking nomination.

Fevaweva

On the top of DiCaprio...every time he was nominated, apart from when he won, I feel like he didn't have the best performance of the year.

Prompto

Banned
I don't get how Christoph Waltz got more recognition for Django Unchained over Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L Jackson.

zeemumu

Whoopi Goldberg

Some guy stole it while it was being sent out to be cleaned and tossed it in the garbage when they realized that it had a name and serial number on it and would be pretty difficult to sell.

Y'all in here acting like the Oscars started this shit in the 90s.

1974 - Best Actor
Albert Finney - Murder on the Orient Express
Art Carney - Harry and Tonto
Dustin Hoffman - Lenny
Jack Nicholson - Chinatown
Al Pacino - The Godfather Part II

Winner - Art Carney, a sentimental favorite in a movie about an old man taking a road trip with his cat.

Keep in mind that the other nominees - Albert Finney, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, and Al Pacino - had never won an Oscar at this point. Finney still hasn't, after 5 nominations.

Also Cliff Robertson winning Best Actor for Charly in 1964 over Peter O'Toole in The Lion in Winter was absurd. O'Toole never won despite EIGHT nominations (he holds the record for the acting categories).

Ralph Fiennes wasn't even fucking nominated!

Fiennes should have won in 1993 for Schindler's List but was new and unknown at the time, so Tommy Lee Jones won for The Fugitive. Sentiment strikes again.

jett

D-Member
Here's another Shakespeare in Love theft: Gwyneth Paltrow winning Best Actress over QWEEN Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth.

jett

D-Member
Natalie Portman should have won for "Jackie." That was a much better performance than Emma Stone's one in "La La Land."

Emma Stone winning was worth it for the shenanigans that happened later with the Best Picture winner. The most interesting the Oscars have been in years.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Denzel Washington had one of the finest performances of the 90s as Malcolm X. Its an insult that he didn't win that year.
Frankly, Spike should have won best director too, the direction in that movie was Scorsese-like in its execution.

Every time this topic gets brought up this is the first thing that comes to mind. I agree 1000%. He mopped the floor with that performance and it's not even close.

Meowster

Natalie Portman should have won for "Jackie." That was a much better performance than Emma Stone's one in "La La Land."
Definitely. Natalie was incredible in that role and so was Isabelle Huppert. Stone was probably the weakest of the nominees but she was still good and who dislikes her anyways? Can’t really be mad at it.

Micky in The Wrestler
Jake in Nightcrawler
Gosling in Drive
Who was nominated in The Departed? Feel like the entire core of that movie should have been nominated.
Scarlett Johansson in Her

jmood88

It was a damn shame that Jason Mitchell wasn't nominated for Straight Outta Compton and that Jake Gyllenhall wasn't nominated for Nightcrawler.

Top Bottom