• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors/Actresses who were robbed of an Oscar

EVO

Naomi Watts wasn't even nominated for Best Actress for her role in Mulholland Drive. Julia Roberts took it out that year for Erin Brockovich but Watts' performance was one of the all time greatest imo.

bud

mickey rourke for his performance in the wrester. i truly believe that that is one of the all-time great performances.

no one remembers sean penn's performance.*

*(i have no data to back this fact up)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Recently, I thought Aaron Taylor Johnson was robbed for his performance in Nocturnal Animals. He won the Golden Globe for Best Supporting, but didn't even get an Oscar nom.

Amy McAdams robbed someone fat more deserving of a nomination with her nomination for Spotlight. Not her fault, I know, but it was ridiculous. They should have gone with Tessa Thompson for Creed to use just one example.

Benicio Del Toro wasn't nominated for Sicario. Oscar Isaac wasn't nominated Ex Machina. Idris Elba wasn't nominated for Beasts of No Nation despite being an obvious pick to so many.

Ryan Coogler wasn't nominated for Creed, and neither was Cary Fukunaga for Beasts of No Nation.

2015 was a year of fuckery. No wonder it led to a campaign.

mcfrank

Amy McAdams robbed someone fat more deserving of a nomination with her nomination for Spotlight. Not her fault, I know, but it was ridiculous. They should have gone with Tessa Thompson for Creed to use just one example.

Benicio Del Toro wasn't nominated for Sicario. Oscar Isaac wasn't nominated Ex Machina. Idris Elba wasn't nominated for Beasts of No Nation despite being an obvious pick to so many.

Ryan Coogler wasn't nominated for Creed, and neither was Cary Fukunaga for Beasts of No Nation.

2015 was a year of fuckery. No wonder it led to a campaign.
Rachel not Amy

Tom Cruise for Magnolia.

Acorn

mickey rourke for his performance in the wrester. i truly believe that that is one of the all-time great performances.

Was that for Milk? Yeah, it was good but not the best performance of the year.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Amy Adams for Arrival got teased and robbed out of a nomination.
And she deserved an oscar.

Denzel Washington had one of the finest performances of the 90s as Malcolm X. Its an insult that he didn't win that year.
Frankly, Spike should have won best director too, the direction in that movie was Scorsese-like in its execution.

My fiancé maintains that Micheal Keaton won Best Actor for Birdman. She knows it's not true, but she needs to believe it, lest her heart be broken all over again.

KonradLaw

51PY175FY8L._SY445_.jpg

Brilliant performance and completely washed away any "Jackness" typical for his other roles. The only reason he didn't get an Oscar was because he already had three.

Also, it's not Oscars, but the fact that Eva Green didn't even get one lousy Emmy nomination for her role in Penny Dreadful is utter and complete joke.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Denzel Washington had one of the finest performances of the 90s as Malcolm X. Its an insult that he didn't win that year.
Frankly, Spike should have won best director too, the direction in that movie was Scorsese-like in its execution.

Yeah his performance was remarkable.

shaneo632

Ellen Burstyn not winning for Requiem and losing to Julia Roberts' good but hardly brilliant performance is probably the biggest miscalculation in Oscar history.

Mickey Rourke lost to Sean Penn because Hollywood hates him and people wanted to make a statement about Prop 8 rather than just reward the best performance.

Certinty

No idea how Casey Affleck won best actor over Andrew Garfield this year. Garfield in Hacksaw Ridge was beyond insane.

for sure to all of this. Al Pacino got it for scent of a woman which he did not deserve over Denzel's Malcolm.

but also that award felt like a retroactive "we fucked up oscar" for not giving it to the gawd for any of his 70s movies. so its not as bad a robbery as some other awards.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
thanks for reminding me of Julia over Ellen that year... fuck sake lol.

And Im a bit of a Julia Roberts fanboy, but good lord.

blakep267

Yup was gonna post this. He should've def won for Malcolm X of al pacino scent of a woman. Training day was just them making up for that robbery

DemWalls

Not an Oscar, but the fact that John C. McGinley didn't win anything for his performance in Scrubs is downright ridiculous.

Leonardo DiCaprio should have won Best Supporting Actor for Django Unchained and wasn't even nominated. Christopher Waltz did a fine job, but Leo gave the best and most memorable performance of that film IMO.

Amy Adams got robbed of internet memes. Leo got his for being nominated 5 times and not winning once.

Adams is on 5 as well and got robbed of a 6th last year.

g11

Denzel in '92 for Malcolm X. Pacino was good in Scent of a Woman but I'd argue Malcolm X was the performance of Denzel Washington's career.

Pulp Fiction losing in '94 to Forrest Gump.

Fargo in '96 losing to The English Patient.

L.A. Confidential in '97 losing to Titanic.

Saving Private Ryan in '98, losing to Shakespeare in Love (lol).

Oscars were pretty fucked in the 90s. Of course, that's just my opinion.

EDIT: Also, I can't read.

for sure to all of this. Al Pacino got it for scent of a woman which he did not deserve over Denzel's Malcolm.

but also that award felt like a retroactive "we fucked up oscar" for not giving it to the gawd for any of his 70s movies. so its not as bad a robbery as some other awards.

Yeah, this is why I can't take the Oscars seriously. They almost always fail to recognize the most interesting work in a given year, because they are always playing catch-up trying to recognize the interesting work they missed last decade. Leo's Revenant Oscar is a perfect example. That wasn't even the best performance in that movie, but it was Leo's turn regardless.

51PY175FY8L._SY445_.jpg

Brilliant performance and completely washed away any "Jackness" typical for his other roles. The only reason he didn't get an Oscar was because he already had three.

Also, it's not Oscars, but the fact that Eva Green didn't even get one lousy Emmy nomination for her role in Penny Dreadful is utter and complete joke.

Talk about heavy hitters for that year!

Adrian Brody-The Pianist
Nicholas Cage-Adaptation
Jack Nicholson
Daniel Day Lewis-Gangs of New York

No matter what that year those who didn’t take it home were robbed.

Penn was really good in Milk as well. I generally agree though.

In relatively recent memory, I think Joaquin Phoenix should have won for The Master over DDL for Lincoln. Also Isabelle Huppert should have beaten Emma Stone last year, if more people had seen Elle she probably would have. I don't really like Birdman but I do agree Keaton should have won over Redmayne that year, his performance was kinda the thing about that movie.

breakfuss

As others have mentioned...Denzel Washington’s Malcolm X snub. I still contend that’s the best performance of his career.

IISANDERII

Not acting but Daft Punk not even getting nominated for Tron Legacy score was such a huge oversight that I've lost just about all respect for the academy.

These awards don't really even mean anything. It's the same old ass people, mostly white, who decide.

The amount of shit that gets nominated and wins is ridiculous. They should change how these awards are given out.

blakep267

Not acting but Daft Punk not even getting nominated for Tron Legacy score was such a huge oversight that I've lost just about all respect for the academy.
I never had it. Somebody like Joe Hisaishi whose scores and music for Ghibli films are some of the greatest of all time but because the Academy doesn't watch Japanese stuff(even when it's released in English) he's never been recognized

Never Even Nominated

- Do The Right Thing for Best Picture
- Robin Williams for One Hour Photo
- Sharlto Copley for District 9
- Rachel Weisz for Denial
- Alan Rickman for anything he's been in

Top Bottom