• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nolan vs Ridley Scott, Scorsese, David Fincher, Michael Mann. Who wins the oscar this year?

Who gets the Oscar?

• Nolan

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Ridley Scott

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Scorsese

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Michael Mann

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • David Fincher

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Even with Villenueve bowing out, this year is set to be a fight for the ages. Some of the greatest directors of all time going up against the guy who just won Best Director of this century from the nerds over at Rotten Tomatoes. But what does the academy think?

Scott and Mann haven't been nominated for a while, but Scorsese was nominated for Irishman and Fincher was nominated for Mank a couple of years ago. It's very likely that they all get nominated along with Nolan who should be a shoe in for a nomination.

Without seeing their movies, it's hard to say who wins, but everyone of these movies looks like an Oscar contender. That Ferrari trailer gave me chills. I didnt even know Michael Mann was directing it. That said, I hope Ridley wins this year simply because he's due for one. Nolan has more time to earn his oscar.

Ferrari Trailer:

zedim

Neo Member
oppenheimer was honestly amazing, not expecting anyone to top it. And i was expecting not to like it since i wasn't a fan of anything by nolan in a long time

FunkMiller

It’ll be Nolan. In Hollywood he’s currently the most important to the system, and these awards are rarely given out for the actual movies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Mann is ridiculously overrated, almost as much as Nolan. Nolan/Oppenheimer is getting hyped to the moon and back by Hollywood influence so he seems pretty likely, but then again Scorsese is a big player and has Hollywood's darling DiCaprio (don't underestimate his status in the industry) for his film, which isn't a prize won by money, so that's quite a reflection upon Scorsese for being a solid contender against Nolan. These awards have absolutely nothing to do with public popularity, which is why Scott has been shafted so many times.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Nolan -

nolan.gif

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't think Oppenheimer meets the new oscar diversity requirement, nor will Napolean or Ferrari, most like. Unless they really stacked the production team to make up for the casting I suppose or play up the audience development grift. I can't imagine a field of Best Directors what can't get their films in the Best Picture category either.

But yeah, Gerwig seems like a lock at this point, I'll be shocked if she makes another film that reaches even a quarter of the buzz Barbie has so this rewards her AND pleases the crowd.

Fincher is one of the GOATs for sure, and "The Killer" sounds interesting, but the subject matter doesn't seem like the type of movie that wins Best Director.

I'll go with Scorcese.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Killers of the Flower Moon. That DiCaprio Scorsese combo is lethal.

That Ferarri Trailer is one of the best I've seen in years. Finally a trailer that doesnt give the whole movie away. Minimal dialogue trailers need to become the new norm.

I wish I could care who got this meaningless statuette. I stopped caring about these award shows something like... 16 years ago?
These are all great directors in their own right. They don't need a fucking shitty activist fueled platform where virtue signalling and backpatting are abundant to tell them that. There are numbers and experience to back them up.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dunno who will win the awards. Probably something bad.

Almost inconceivable that Oppenheimer isn’t the best movie of the year. The main one I could see being a serious contender is Flower Moon. Ferrari looks really cool but Mann’s output has been on the decline; hopefully it’s great, and it does evoke that classic Mann vibe in the trailer. Ridley Scott, not holding my breath. Fincher is always excellent, trailer looks conventional but I assume he cut the trailer himself and it’s giving nothing away.

I think they're intentionally not getting the point.
I get the point, I like data though. If you know of any example directors, I’d like to look up their list of movies to know how they compare in terms of their quality of recent works.

Last edited:

Liamario

Banned
I get the point, I like data though. If you know of any example directors, I’d like to look up their list of movies to know how they compare in terms of their quality of recent works.
I've seen plenty of foreign movies, but admittedly I couldn't name a foreign director. Foreign directors can and are just as capable as western ones. But like I implied, I would be very skeptical of the intentions of the Academy and their ability to make decisions that aren't influenced by virtue signalling.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
All day. Alien blade runner black hawk down gladiator.

All good films, but then you have absolute shit like Robin Hood, Alien Covenant, Exodus and 1492: Conquest of Paradise. I haven't talked about his mid films, like The Last Duel.

Ridley Scott is the most hit and miss director of all time.

Martin Scorsese on the other hand is one of the greatest directors of all time.

It’ll be between Nolan and Scorcese in the end. Killers of the Flower Moon looks to be among the best all time and source material is riveting.
Nolan would be well deserved for Oppenheimer.

I wouldn’t count Ridley Scott as a shoe in, given his recent movies which have been mixed at best.

AJUMP23

All good films, but then you have absolute shit like Robin Hood, Alien Covenant, Exodus and 1492: Conquest of Paradise. I haven't talked about his mid films, like The Last Duel.

They both have amazing movies and then they have some duds. That one Scorsese did for Netflix was far tooo long and not great. Just like Spielberg has some duds out there. No director has a perfect slate. But this is an opinion thread and I would rather watch a Scott film than Scorsese. I would rather watch Ridley’s brothers films than Scorsese. Tony Scott gave us top Gun

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They both have amazing movies and then they have some duds. That one Scorsese did for Netflix was far tooo long and not great. Just like Spielberg has some duds out there. No director has a perfect slate. But this is an opinion thread and I would rather watch a Scott film than Scorsese. I would rather watch Ridley’s brothers films than Scorsese. Tony Scott gave us top Gun

I respectfully disagree and bust a angry nut on your opinion.

Scorsese hasn't made a bad film and is arguably the best living director, certainly in the top five of all time if you judge his output and film quality.

Ridley Scott is a competent director, but nowhere near the same league as Scorsese.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Mann is ridiculously overrated, almost as much as Nolan. Nolan/Oppenheimer is getting hyped to the moon and back by Hollywood influence so he seems pretty likely, but then again Scorsese is a big player and has Hollywood's darling DiCaprio (don't underestimate his status in the industry) for his film, which isn't a prize won by money, so that's quite a reflection upon Scorsese for being a solid contender against Nolan. These awards have absolutely nothing to do with public popularity, which is why Scott has been shafted so many times.
Oppenheimer is getting hyped because it's an insanely good film with knock out performances across the board.

AJUMP23

I respectfully disagree and bust a angry nut on your opinion.

Scorsese hasn't made a bad film and is arguably the best living director, certainly in the top five of all time if you judge his output and film quality.

Ridley Scott is a competent director, but nowhere near the same league as Scorsese.
The Irishman is not a good movie. Interesting story told well but the movie is just let me use all my old actor friends.

Where is that stomping scene. Such cinematography.

Last edited:

Just_one

Openheimer will do a full sweep this year.

Best Director
Best Movie
Best Actor
Best Supporting Actor
Best Supporing Actress
Best Sound
Best Screenplay

The Fartist

Gold Member

I love Blade Runner like I love my dog, but Scorsese is the most consistent director of all time. I hate to compare, but Scorsese shits on Scott any day of the week.

Billbofet

a9a419cb1f577f08e5dae7e94446167f4c915113.gif

Truly an incredibly shot and wonderfully scripted and performed movie. Sleeper sadly but I think it has the best 7 minutes in cinema history with its ending sequence. It’s simply flawless imo.
Agreed. This is one of the best movies I have seen in years. That ending sequence was incredible. These are the kind of movies I miss so much nowadays. Truly a masterpiece - at least to me.

Ownage

Agreed. This is one of the best movies I have seen in years. That ending sequence was incredible. These are the kind of movies I miss so much nowadays. Truly a masterpiece - at least to me.
I laughed out loud in that final scene. I thought she was laughing at the guy for his foolishness to chase her for so long, like she played him 'til the very end.

Top Bottom