• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors/Actresses who were robbed of an Oscar

SpaceWolf

Banned
I love Zodiac. But an actor delivering a "thank you" for his role in a factually based film about a serial killer is fucked up.

As opposed to a factually based film about the holocaust?

Never Even Nominated

- Do The Right Thing for Best Picture
- Robin Williams for One Hour Photo
- Sharlto Copley for District 9

- Rachel Weisz for Denial
- Alan Rickman for anything he's been in

Eh. I don't feel these were really deserving, as decent as the performances were.

A recent one ( and not a huge deal), but I think Mark Ruffalo deserved best supporting actor for Spotlight. Watch an interview with the guy he's portraying, and then watch the movie, and tell me he doesn't completely nail it. The verbal ticks are spot on

I love Zodiac. But an actor delivering a "thank you" for his role in a factually based film about a serial killer is fucked up.

So nominations should be based on how awkward the acceptance speech might be? And I was highlighting the fact that it wasn't nominated for anything, not just acting categories.

Apt101

DiCaprio for The Departed. I think he lost to Hoffman, who IMO did an easy impression of Capote. Meanwhile DiCaprio went 1,000 MPH on The Departed and I don't think he was even nominated for it.

wazoo

A recent one ( and not a huge deal), but I think Mark Ruffalo deserved best supporting actor for Spotlight. Watch an interview with the guy he's portraying, and then watch the movie, and tell me he doesn't completely nail it. The verbal ticks are spot on

He was nominated. Then the winner ... Nobody gave you the % of vote for the winner. It is rarely a majority. Sometimes a few more votes than the others.

Sometimes one unknown wins, just because the 2 favorites are too much split among voters.

wazoo

No idea how Casey Affleck won best actor over Andrew Garfield this year. Garfield in Hacksaw Ridge was beyond insane.

Both were good in 2 good movies. One was in a movie highly "positively regarded" movie. The fact that Gibson was nominated was already a big win considering how he is regarded by many people.

wazoo

for sure to all of this. Al Pacino got it for scent of a woman which he did not deserve over Denzel's Malcolm.

but also that award felt like a retroactive "we fucked up oscar" for not giving it to the gawd for any of his 70s movies. so its not as bad a robbery as some other awards.

Al pacino should have won many times before. Many late actors got one just because this is their last chance.

This is why you shouldn't give a shit about the Oscars or awards in general, no matter the category.

I just watch the Oscars for the fuckery (and to see some great artists actually get recognition for once then get played off mid speech).

Ellen Burstyn not winning for Requiem and losing to Julia Roberts' good but hardly brilliant performance is probably the biggest miscalculation in Oscar history.

The miscalculation was putting her for lead instead of supporting, she was never going to win that.

In terms of most annoying snubs that I personally remember, I'd go for these 3/4 being the most egregious (in no real order).
1. Heath Ledger losing for Brokeback
2. The entire 2012 best actress race. I like J-Law but winning for the dire SLP over Riva, Wallis and Chastain was just the worst.
3. Bill Murray for Lost in Translation to Sean Penn's dull performance in Mystic River.
4. David Oyelowo not even being nominated in 2014, which they awarded to the dullest man alive, Eddie Redmayne.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Leo should have won a bunch of times before The Revenant. I wish he would have won for The Wolf of Wall Street. He was so absolutely insane and very funny. In the Revenant he was cold.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Not that anyone but Ali should have won, but where the fuk was John Goodman's nom for 10 Cloverfield Lane.

jett

D-Member
Even DDL would have lost to Rylance that year. It was like Christoph Waltz in 2010; "Why haven't we seen this man before? He's amazing. Hell he is past 50? He should have one of these already".

???

Before starring in 2015's Wolf Hall, Rylance had done virtually nothing of worth in cinema. He's a stage actor.

Eh. I don't feel these were really deserving, as decent as the performances were.
I thought both of them (Robin Williams for One Hour Photo and Sharlto Copley for District 9) had the best performance of the year their respective years. Plus, District 9 was nominated for Best Picture, so whether or not you feel the movie itself was deserving, the Academy did. Besides, even if you think District 9 was terrible, good performances in bad movies win all the time - Meryl Streep for The Iron Curtain, for example. Horrendous movie but she was good in it.

One Hour Photo wasn't nominated for anything, unfortunately.

I like her a lot. Still the movie was better itself, for its subject. Not really for her score.
She's a stunningly beautiful British woman who transformed herself into a dowdy American professor. I thought it was a fantastic performance.

jett

D-Member
I never had it. Somebody like Joe Hisaishi whose scores and music for Ghibli films are some of the greatest of all time but because the Academy doesn't watch Japanese stuff(even when it's released in English) he's never been recognized

It's not like members of the Academy can nominate anything they want. Studios put forth the movies that they want to be up for consideration in each category.

saving private ryan didn't deserve to win shit with those horrible bookends ruining the movie.

really man.

Thin Red Line should have won Best Picture.

Last I attempted watching TRL I didn't make it through the first hour.

Sulik2

Fellowship got robbed for best picture by A Beautiful Mind. Peter Jackson should have two best best picture awards.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Denzel Washington had one of the finest performances of the 90s as Malcolm X. Its an insult that he didn't win that year.
Frankly, Spike should have won best director too, the direction in that movie was Scorsese-like in its execution.

It's funny, because that's one of those years they made it up to Pacino. Al Pacino for scent of a woman?

Then you had 1999, where both Crowe and Denzel gave fantastic performers.... and they give it to Spacey in midlife crisis.

So the next two years, gave it to Crowe and Denzel for two flicks where they were fine, but both deserved it earlier and won for worse performances

2004 is another were Dicaprio lost to Foxx for Aviator and began his quest. Then alongside his Wolf of Wall Street lost, again, they fucked up and gave it for a lesser performance like Crowe and Denzel.

2014 is another terrible as pick with Redmayne over Keaton.

2003 had another shit decision, Where they awarded the "I fucked up Oscar" to the bloated Return of the King, rather than Master and Commander. Because Felllowship lost to A Beautiful Mind.

Def the most recent fuckery.

Nah, I wanted Stallone to win, but a lot of people seem to misplace having a big dramatic scene needed to win. Rylance sold the shit out of his character in BoS. The entire film is based around you caring about a Russian spy who wants to go home, but doesn't want to betray his country either. So he has to play within a range of emotions and largely some how make you the viewer care about him. It was not a bad pick at all.

Meowster

It’s odd that neither Bette Davis nor Gloria Swanson didn’t win an Oscar for their performances in All About Eve and Sunset Boulevard considering they are two of the most iconic performances ever. Had to have been vote splitting. I would have had a hard time deciding which performance I preferred too but...

Also: Emmanuelle Riva should have won over Jennifer Lawrence.

EVO

Leo should have won a bunch of times before The Revenant. I wish he would have won for The Wolf of Wall Street. He was so absolutely insane and very funny. In the Revenant he was cold.

Yeah of all the times Leo was deserving of an Oscar I don't think Revenant was one of them.

wazoo

It seems people think Awards are a jury with a fine debate between the qualities of every performer.

Everyone within the industry vote in the final round (only the nominees are voted by profession). So, a costum designer has the same weight as any actor to vote.

So in the end, this is just random choice based also on the fact that most of the voters did not even see the movies they vote for

Denzel Washington should've gotten it for Malcolm X.
Will Smith should've gotten it for Ali.
Johnny Depp should've gotten it for Pirates.
Al Pacino should've been nominated & gotten it for Scarface.

jett

D-Member
It's funny, because that's one of those years they made it up to Pacino. Al Pacino for scent of a woman?

Then you had 1999, where both Crowe and Denzel gave fantastic performers.... and they give it to Spacey in midlife crisis.

So the next two years, gave it to Crowe and Denzel for two flicks where they were fine, but both deserved it earlier and won for worse performances

2004 is another were Dicaprio lost to Foxx for Aviator and began his quest. Then alongside his Wolf of Wall Street lost, again, they fucked up and gave it for a lesser performance like Crowe and Denzel.

2014 is another terrible as pick with Redmayne over Keaton.

2003 had another shit decision, Where they awarded the "I fucked up Oscar" to the bloated Return of the King, rather than Master and Commander. Because Felllowship lost to A Beautiful Mind.

Nah, I wanted Stallone to win, but a lot of people seem to misplace having a big dramatic scene needed to win. Rylance sold the shit out of his character in BoS. The entire film is based around you caring about a Russian spy who wants to go home, but doesn't want to betray his country either. So he has to play within a range of emotions and largely some how make you the viewer care about him. It was not a bad pick at all.

Ehh Rylance was kind of a nothing, emotionless performance to me.

But I'm glad somebody else thinks Master and Commander was the deserving winner in 2003. Poor movie got all of its noms stolen by RotK, except for two.

Ninjimbo

I genuinely believe Rooney Mara's performance in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is an all-time great performance. I forgot who she lost to, but I can't imagine the actress turning in a better paper than what Rooney did.

I genuinely believe Rooney Mara's performance in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is an all-time great performance. I forgot who she lost to, but I can't imagine the actress turning in a better paper than what Rooney did.

Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ehh Rylance was kind of a nothing, emotionless performance to me.

But I'm glad somebody else thinks Master and Commander was the deserving winner in 2003. Poor movie got all of its noms stolen by RotK, except for two.

That's sort of the point. He's a spy who has his desires against loyalty. He's not supposed to be overly emotionally. He clearly wants to go home, but also doesn't want to betray his country, but he's also been in this country so long. He might as well be considered an American. The entire film is based around Hanks' character wanted to do what is right, and I feel Rylance did that. I cared about a Russian spy. He's forced to play in a limited spectrum of emotions, rather than Stallone who can have another great big scene chewing. Not saying it's bad, but it's fucking Rocky. His character has always been an emotional typhoon.

ROTK is a mess of a film and didn't deserve to win at all. The entire 2003 Oscars was a sorry for giving it Howard for a Beautiful Mind and half, we have to give it to this event flick. Master and Commander, I would put up as the greatest sailing movie, alongside best War Flick. Everything it did was master class. Pick a scene, everything leads up to it. The man being lost at scene? Themselves being lost? The suicide? Hitting Darwin's Island, etc. Every scene doesn't just happen either, it's driven entirely by what it adds to the character development.

Top Bottom