• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

udivision

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
1517604-old_snake_salute_1280x720_super.jpg
2ltn6z6.png

Gvaz said:
Hey guys, I've never played a MSG game before this one, can I play this one and not be lost?

You'll be lost hardcore. The game story is mainly just a ton of wrapping shit up that have been building up across all the previous games.

thechemist

Gvaz said:
Hey guys, I've never played a MSG game before this one, can I play this one and not be lost?

It would be great if you can play the other ones, as they all link greatly. Buy the HD collection!!!! And dl MGS 1 off psn.

Yen

Gvaz said:
MGS1 on PSN is £8/$10
MGSHD collection(2, 3, 5) out now in US/Feb for Europe.
That's all the Metal Gear you'll ever need.

Gvaz

Banned
Is there a definitive like place to play the game on? I think I have MGS 1 and 2 on the pc here, and snake eater I have for the ps2 (though I can't get past the quicksand at all)

Rainy Dog

wwm0nkey said:
Wish they would release Metal Gear Online as its own thing but without the stupid Konami ID shit.

Yep, it'd be lovely if they relaunched it as a PSN download with all the extra content included.

I absolutely loved the beta for it. One of the best online experiences I've had. But for some unexplainable, inexcusable reason, I never played it in the retail game :/

Gvaz said:
Is there a definitive like place to play the game on? I think I have MGS 1 and 2 on the pc here, and snake eater I have for the ps2 (though I can't get past the quicksand at all)

MGS1 on PC or just get it on PSN the original PSX version

Gvaz

Banned
My PS3 has CFW so I can't access PSN. Only my PSP can download all the nice goodies :(

I rented this from gamefly hoping I could just jump into it but now :(

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Gvaz said:

Nah

I've played all the games multiple times and MGS4 still doesn't make alot of sense to me

Going in without playing any of the games though means you'll miss out on all the fanservice though, which is like the biggest reason most people enjoy it.

I'd say PS2-PS3 for control consistency. It's probably neat to see how the controls progress on a playstation controller.

So check out MGS1 on PSN, the recently released collection and MGS4

Gvaz said:

PS3

You have MGS on PSN
MG, MG2, MGS2, MGS3, Peace Walker(aka "MGS5") on the HD Collection
MGS4 on PS3

wd7q9.gif

Almost spat out my water when I saw this news.

But now I'm just amazed. After all this time..

Jc3eD.gif

...any chance they will offer full/all chapter install option as well?

Kojima Productions has confirmed that Metal Gear Solid 4's upcoming patch will include not just Trophy support but full install functionality as well.
[...]
Select to give the game a full install, and you won't have to wait between chapters for data to be cached to your system's hard disc.

http://andriasang.com/con1wm/mgs_patch_full_install/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

images-i186150b9zzoy.gif

(I also like this because that means you can finally just load up chapter x or cutscene b w/o having to wait each time)

We need a RTTP GAF plays GAF-GOTYx2 winner MGS4 thread in August!

Mh I should finish the MGS HD collection until then...

So I have a new copy of MGS arriving tomorrow and I was wondering (as someone that's only played the NES games and the first MGS) what's a good site to catch up on the rest of the story so I'm not completely lost when I start it up?

Or is it not really necessary and you're filled in from the get go?

jayb

So I have a new copy of MGS arriving tomorrow and I was wondering (as someone that's only played the NES games and the first MGS) what's a good site to catch up on the rest of the story so I'm not completely lost when I start it up?

Here's a good place to get caught up: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050SX97I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

seriously, you need to at the very least play MGS3, if only because it's an amazing game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

you really should get the HD collection and at least play 2 and 3 before 4.

Man I had a feeling you guys were gonna tell me that.

Guess I'll be picking up the HD collection today. When does Peace Walker take place? I want to complete them in the proper order.

Ein Bear

Man I had a feeling you guys were gonna tell me that.

Guess I'll be picking up the HD collection today. When does Peace Walker take place? I want to complete them in the proper order.

Chronologically, the games in the HD Collection go MGS3 > Peace Walker > MGS2.

But you'll have a much better time if you play them in release order, so MGS2 > MGS3 > PW.

Edit: And if at all possible, you really should play the others in the series, in the order they were released. If you can swing it, you should play MGS1/Twin Snakes > MGS2 > MGS3 > MGS4 > Peace Walker.

Surprisingly I do have a copy of Twin Snakes already but it's been in my backlog for awhile =/

Thanks Ein. I'll be playing them in order of release then. Hopefully I won't be too burned out once I finally start up Guns of the Patriots.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'll be picking up the HD collection today. When does Peace Walker take place? I want to complete them in the proper order.

You would be spoilering yourself if you did that. Don't do that. Go in game release order.

MGS (fuck TTS), MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, MGS5/Peace Walker (fuck Port Ops)

Well I couldn't wait and went home on break to install MGS4, and although I am jumping the gun a bit here since I didn't even play it yet, I just wanna give some initial impressions from seeing it for about 15 minutes. And Im sorry guys, but I just couldn't take the advice to play through the other two first. I have a friend that said he'd fill in any gaps and answer any questions I have anyway. Plus there's always the internet and you guys ^_^

-The music playing simply on the XMB screen when the game selected is superb and I've had it it my head all afternoon.

-Installation screen was really cool watching Snake burn away those cigarettes. For a moment I actually thought he would take the entire 8 minute install to go through one. That would've been great.

-Really liked the music playing during the title screen. I watched the first Mission Briefing for a bit just to see if it would explain any of the moves or controls, but instead was treated to a cinematic of the Colonel explaining the mission. For a game that's 5 years old I think the character models look damn good. The camera cuts and options to mess around with them was a nice touch as well.

Yeah I know I ain't seen shit yet =P

Play at least MGS2 HD, that's by far the most important one for MGS4 I would say.
btw there is also the MGS Database app on PSN that allows you to read the backstories etc.

Also, why don't you wait for the patch before already starting up MGS4??? :p

BadWolf

Because I couldn't wait and needed something fresh to play, and at this point I really won't mind replaying it for trophies.

And Spiffy, I promise I will definitely get to MGS3......after I play 4 =P

Ill check out that MGS database Dave, thanks!

You're ruining the experience for yourself big time by not playing 2 and 3 prior to 4, trust me.

You're ruining the experience for yourself big time by not playing 2 and 3 prior to 4, trust me.

Well so be it then =P That sort of thing really doesn't bother me. I've read the backstories to 2 & 3 already and I don't mind having a lot of unanswered questions during my first playthrough. It will only give me more drive to learn more about the mythos through playing the previous two games. I don't see what the big deal is about playing them out of order. I'm not the type of person that will have issues putting the story together when all is said and done.

jayb

Because I couldn't wait and needed something fresh to play, and at this point I really won't mind replaying it for trophies.

And Spiffy, I promise I will definitely get to MGS3......after I play 4 =P

Ill check out that MGS database Dave, thanks!

relevant username :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom