• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Super LTTP one this one, but I just picked up a PS3 last month. Decided right away that I'd catch up on the MGS series by purchasing MGS4. I've always been fond of MGS, and I thoroughly enjoyed 1 through 3. I need someone to hear me out on this though, because I'm not trying to troll here. I just can't get into this. Right now, I figure I'm about half way through. I just finished the Raging Beauty boss fight, and after another incredibly boring and embarrassing 40 minute long cut scene, I'm at the next level. The story behind the MGS saga has never been incredible, but it's never been this bad either. The story here is laughably bad. There is also something very wrong about the pacing. The information is repetitive and horrendously slow. It feels like an unedited rough-draft being read out loud. The game play bits are fun, however, whenever you are allowed to play.

Anyways, I know a lot of people liked this game, and I don't want to come off as a troll or whatever, but this is just how I feel. I'll continue playing to the end of the game, but I don't think it'll change my impressions.

Grinchy

Banned
They should have taken another year or 2 to develop this. I agree with you Extollere. It's not a bad game, and it's really epic, but they really needed someone to edit some of this shit down a peg.

It wasn't as believable as the rest of the series. I know people are going to point out crazy ridiculous things that have happened as a defense against a negative post towards MGS4, but at least the other games never pulled me out of the moment. I am going to replay this game some day, but I can't really say that I've been pining to do so.

rvy

Banned
Extollere said:
Super LTTP one this one, but I just picked up a PS3 last month. Decided right away that I'd catch up on the MGS series by purchasing MGS4. I've always been fond of MGS, and I thoroughly enjoyed 1 through 3. I need someone to hear me out on this though, because I'm not trying to troll here. I just can't get into this. Right now, I figure I'm about half way through. I just finished the Raging Beauty boss fight, and after another incredibly boring and embarrassing 40 minute long cut scene, I'm at the next level. The story behind the MGS saga has never been incredible, but it's never been this bad either. The story here is laughably bad. There is also something very wrong about the pacing. The information is repetitive and horrendously slow. It feels like an unedited rough-draft being read out loud. The game play bits are fun, however, whenever you are allowed to play.

Anyways, I know a lot of people liked this game, and I don't want to come off as a troll or whatever, but this is just how I feel. I'll continue playing to the end of the game, but I don't think it'll change my impressions.
Welcome to the club. Say hi to jett, the fucking white duck and ∀ Narayan.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Everytime this thread gets bumped i get a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Grinchy

Banned
This seems like it should be simple logic:

SolidusDave said:
Trophy patch = new thread, headline on all news sites etc.

MGS4 thread bump = people discussing the game / are playing it

Makes life easier!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Grinchy said:
It wasn't as believable as the rest of the series. I know people are going to point out crazy ridiculous things that have happened as a defense against a negative post towards MGS4, but at least the other games never pulled me out of the moment.

Believability isn't even a problem for me. I'm fine with the wackiness, that's never been a problem. In fact, I like it. Liquid living through Ocelot because his spirit was in his arm? Cool. None of that stuff matters if the story is engaging and well written. The problem is - it isn't. Sure it that could change before the end of the game (doubt it will) but it wouldn't be enough to fix what I've already sat through. I can suspend my disbelief through any piece of fiction if I am engaged and emotionally attached to what is happening. But that is heavily dependent on the style of writing, the pacing of the plot, and the context in which things happen. MGS4 doesn't seem to understand any of that. It's almost agonizing to sit through.

Anyways, I'll come back when the game is over. Perhaps I will have softened my opinion a bit when it's all said and done.

Demon Ice

Banned
Apologies for the bump but is there any chance someone still has the large size source for this wallpaper:

wallpaper4.jpg

The link in the OP is bad and I really, REALLY freaking love this one, anyone manage to rehost it / have the source? Thanks!

KTallguy

Banned
I replayed a bit of this yesterday. Man the fucking cutscenes are long. But the gameplay and the feeling of being on a battlefield is actually REALLY good. Like the explosions and sound design and dust and everything, it's really great. I daresay that feels more real than COD and such games.

But yeah just too many cutscenes. As much as I love the characters, they really needed an editor. Such a fun game but really it feels like there isn't enough to play.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
KTallguy said:
I replayed a bit of this yesterday. Man the fucking cutscenes are long. But the gameplay and the feeling of being on a battlefield is actually REALLY good. Like the explosions and sound design and dust and everything, it's really great. I daresay that feels more real than COD and such games.

But yeah just too many cutscenes. As much as I love the characters, they really needed an editor. Such a fun game but really it feels like there isn't enough to play.

Funny thing tho is that it is just a feeling. So much indeed you need to play the game 3 times to explore all it has to offer.

Raonak

Banned
trophies, kojima. do it now.

still the most amazing videogame experience i've had. Sooooo much nostalgia. Sooooo Good.

SHAZOOM

Is it funny that some of my favorite games this gen have been MGS4, Deus Ex HR and Assassins Creed 2?

I think I like being all Ninja like. And I miss MGO. Just not the Exp Weekends or whatever the thing was called.

KTallguy

Banned
TTP said:
Funny thing tho is that it is just a feeling. So much indeed you need to play the game 3 times to explore all it has to offer.

You're absolutely right, and I've played through the game 1.7 times (haha), so I know there is a lot of hidden stuff. Just it's a shame that the first part of the game constantly interrupts you.

SamuraiX-

Rahxephon91 said:
Still the biggest disappointment of this gen.

Rahxephon91
I have bad taste.
(Today, 08:54 PM)
Reply | Quote

Yep, besides for this post it's nice to see people talking about the game with some positivity for once.

<3

paparazzo

SamuraiX- said:
Rahxephon91
I have bad taste.
(Today, 08:54 PM)
Reply | Quote

Yep, besides for this post it's nice to see people talking about the game with some positivity for once.

<3
Yep, it's the perfect tag :p But I think it's better to just ignore him. He shits up every single thread relating to MGS arguing why he hates MGS4 and why his opinion is correct and superior to all others.

Anyway, great game. Hard to believe it'll be four years old next summer. I wonder why Kojima hasn't announced another main MGS yet. Seems like he's only worked on Peace Walker since MGS4.

The Skater said:
Yep, it's the perfect tag :p But I think it's better to just ignore him. He shits up every single thread relating to MGS arguing why he hates MGS4 and why his opinion is correct and superior to all others.

Anyway, great game. Hard to believe it'll be four years old next summer. I wonder why Kojima hasn't announced another main MGS yet. Seems like he's only worked on Peace Walker since MGS4.
It's not my fault that people who like MGS4 can never actually come with an argument as to why it's good. So yeah I guess that is thinking I'm always correct and superior, even though I actually state that this is only my opinion on don't call those who like MGS4 dumb or anything.

But yeah, we should all just be on MGS's dick.

Raonak

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
It's not my fault that people who like MGS4 can never actually come with an argument as to why it's good. So yeah I guess that is thinking I'm always correct and superior, even though I actually state that this is only my opinion on don't call those who like MGS4 dumb or anything.

But yeah, we should all just be on MGS's dick.
The whole package transcends videogames and media altogether.
Sure the game had flaws, too much cutscenes, not enough gameplay, installs, not enough codec, some plot twists are just bizzare. etc.
But the highs of the game are sooo good that it hides the flaws.

It's a very personal experience, and your enjoyment of the game will depend on how much you have invested into the series. I absolutely adore MGS, finished the first one 14+ times, it was actually the first game I finished(yeah, started gaming late) so for me, the nostalgia really did it for me, it was an experience that can't be replicated.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I would love to replay the game again someday, I just can't sit through all the installing, cut scenes, and Rock 'Em Snake 'Em final fight again.

I think I would quite love a game that used the fighting mechanics in this game and the various groups fighting. Use the disguises for rebels and the like combined with a Grand Theft Auto (1 and 2's) Respect and Distrust metre and it would just be fun.

I believe I'll just replay Ghost Babel right now.

Jakoavain

I know a lot of people that were a bit disappointed with the game, but it's alright. It's a Kojima game and you have to understand his visions and storytelling.

Even with all the Kojima, it IS the best game this gen.

Jakoavain said:
I know a lot of people that were a bit disappointed with the game, but it's alright. It's a Kojima game and you have to understand his visions and storytelling.

Even with all the Kojima, it IS the best game this gen.

Best story, yes.

Raonak said:
The whole package transcends videogames and media altogether.
Sure the game had flaws, too much cutscenes, not enough gameplay, installs, not enough codec, some plot twists are just bizzare. etc.
But the highs of the game are sooo good that it hides the flaws.

It's a very personal experience, and your enjoyment of the game will depend on how much you have invested into the series. I absolutely adore MGS, finished the first one 14+ times, it was actually the first game I finished(yeah, started gaming late) so for me, the nostalgia really did it for me, it was an experience that can't be replicated.
It has nothing to do with being invested in the series. I love MGS. It use to be my favorite franchisee. MGS2 and 3 rank up there as my favorite games ever. I have spent countless hours playing these games. Hell unlike some of the supposed fans here, I've replayed 4 numerous times, without the need of trophies. Simply because I love MGS. Or loved as the series has seen better days.

But every argument about MGS4 ends with it's defenders basically just saying "you don't get it", "I felt this", "Oh the nostalgia" and then the total act of desperation as seen in The Skater's post of just basically attacking the character of the poster. Well Skater, I'm sorry if I didn't add imo to my posts to clarify that they were my opinion. But I guess it does come off as acting superior even though it's not the intent. But the reason is because none of these arguments ever really seem to be able to defend MGS4 in my eyes. I don't get Kojima's vision or MGS is such a bad defense here. I think I understand Kojima as it's not like I'm against him. Perhaps his vision here was just flawed and even then this doesn't work as a defense for some of the poor writing and gameplay pacing. His vision was to basically not give us good gameplay after chapter two? Ok? Nostlgia doesn't help this game either. Sure I liked the fact that the music plays during the final boss battle. So cool and brought actual emotion. 2nd time through that wont hide the fact that the controls are terrible. It won't stop me from looking back at MGS3 and realising that when it did the Eva bike seen it was much better and that it didn't need to be repeated.

So sorry it comes off poorly.

Raonak

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
But every argument about MGS4 ends with it's defenders basically just saying "you don't get it", "I felt this", "Oh the nostalgia"

But the reason is because none of these arguments ever really seem to be able to defend MGS4 in my eyes

Well, because thats what it is. It's all opinion. You either felt the magic, or you didn't.
For you, the cons were greater than the pros.
for me, the pros greatly outweigh the cons.

pacing and writing weren't major concens for me. My biggest complaint is actually the installs. And i never found the fight controls uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom