• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiteSeer

SamuraiX- said:
I always check it anyway just because it's a fucking Metal Gear Solid thread. :p
RespectKnuckles.gif

Pachimari

Funny how I have never played this game in HD. I were a HUGE fan of the series at the time, but I were on vacation in Asia on MGS4s release. So I decided to buy a white phat PS3 and a copy of the game.. I played it all night on an old 28" box tv.

The story made me "unfollow" the franchise, so properly wont play it again.

Apoc87

Banned
Can anyone tell me if the installs just end abruptly and go straight to the game, or you have to press a button to continue?

I would like to take a smoke break while installing, but I don't want to miss anything (I smoke on my patio)

Apoc87 said:
Can anyone tell me if the installs just end abruptly and go straight to the game, or you have to press a button to continue?

I would like to take a smoke break while installing, but I don't want to miss anything (I smoke on my patio)

You have to press a button to proceed.

Radec

Apoc87 said:

Press Start to continue.

Apoc87 said:

Pretty sure you have to press a button after install.

cackhyena

I'm in the middle of playing Human Revolution and it's giving me urges to play this game again. Wish there was a version available for download on PSN.

Dunk#7

I am in the process of playing through the game for the third time.

I am going for the Big Boss ranking.

How many people here have achieved Big Boss?

Yen

Dunk#7 said:

There's no trophy incentive, so not many.

Radec

Dunk#7 said:

Got that bitch since 2008.

The Chicken emblem is much harder IMO.

Tip: Buy lots of tranq darts/ammo before ending your last playthrough(Act5). Use MkII alot.

Dunk#7

FinalD said:
Exactly how many pay attention to your Big Boss ranking then?

Me, myself, and I

You play games for your own enjoyment not to impress others with your trophy collection.

I am trying to get Big Boss because it is a challenge. I enjoy working towards something that is difficult. It has nothing to do with having something to show for it.

Radec said:
Got that bitch since 2008.

The Chicken emblem is much harder IMO.

Tip: Buy lots of tranq darts/ammo before ending your last playthrough(Act5). Use MkII alot.

I have the solar gun so that has been very useful. I am close to the end of Act 2 and I still have about 35 tranq bullets left not counting the mosin.

The thing I am most worried about is I forgot to stock up on Chaff grenades before the end of my normal play through so I only have a couple. I am going to need them for Act 4. I wish I knew where all of them were located so I could pick a few more up.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to add Trophy Support, No Time for a Legend to get Bumped

DOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIT

No really, I've been meaning to do another MGS4 run, now going for Big Boss

Yen

Dunk#7 said:
You need trophies to warrant playing a game?

Let it go..lol

Nobody pays attention to your trophies but you
God no. I hate trophies and think the MGS4 whinging is ridiculous. This is a Metal Gear game, you don't need any trophy incentive to replay, your incentive should be a stealth camo or infinite ammo bandanas.

Radec

Dunk#7 said:
I have the solar gun so that has been very useful. I am close to the end of Act 2 and I still have about 35 tranq bullets left not counting the mosin.

The thing I am most worried about is I forgot to stock up on Chaff grenades before the end of my normal play through so I only have a couple. I am going to need them for Act 4. I wish I knew where all of them were located so I could pick a few more up.

End of act 3 gave me more retries than those mini/geckos.

I think it's criminal that this game has been patched with trophies yet. I can't imagine it being too hard to implement considering other games have added trophies with no hiccups. I wonder if they're waiting for a re release with more content or what.

Speaking of re release, has anyone heard any word on such a thing? I know the other Metal Gear games got one and it would be curious for this one not to see one considering it sold well.

Dunk#7

Radec said:
End of act 3 gave me more retries than those mini/geckos.

Yea, but those mini geckos will be a nightmare without chaff to keep them from seeing me.

Don't they set off an alert if they see you?

I am not worried about being able to take them out. I just think it will be impossible to keep them from seeing me.

BadWolf

Finally played and finished the game and I was completely floored. Its one of those rare times that giving a perfect score to a game still feels like not enough.

The gameplay, and the variation of missions, was excellent. Loved the story and the cutscenes. The designs for the characters were amazing as well, Raiden (best reimagining of a character I can think of) and Snake were so badass. The female characters had great faces and the bosses showed great detail of the female figure. The idea behind the bosses was very unique and left quite the impression.

KojiPro's take on Snake (Old Snake) was just so refreshing, Instead of a youngster or middle age character (like in most games) you play with bascally an old Man who eventually
gets half his face burned
. Thought this was very cool and ballsy of Kojima, made me see and appreciate Snake in a different light.

Special mention to the Raiden fights, so damn good.

Can't wait to replay it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Can't believe it got bumped with a positive comment!

I fully agree.

Angry Fork

This bump will be met with swift rage. I'm not one of them though I loved it and it was by far the most emotional gaming experience ever for me. Some stuff about the game was annoying in retrospect a lot could be changed that would make the game better but I still like it a lot.

TxdoHawk

More than trophies, I just want a patch that installs the game in one big chunk, rather than splitting it up and constantly swapping.

BadWolf said:
Finally played and finished the game and I was completely floored. Its one of those rare times that giving a perfect score to a game still feels like not enough.

The gameplay, and the variation of missions, was excellent. Loved the story and the cutscenes. The designs for the characters were amazing as well, Raiden (best reimagining of a character I can think of) and Snake were so badass. The female characters had great faces and the bosses showed great detail of the female figure. The idea behind the bosses was very unique and left quite the impression.

KojiPro's take on Snake (Old Snake) was just so refreshing, Instead of a youngster or middle age character (like in most games) you play with bascally an old Man who eventually
. Thought this was very cool and ballsy of Kojima, made me see and appreciate Snake in a different light.

Can't wait to replay it.
Yeah, how dare you talk about the game that the thread is about and in such a positive way! That's not the Gaf way! You're supossed to rip into it and use the word "retcon" at least once.

Note: I am being massively sarcastic...in case you can't work it out :D

Lothars

TxdoHawk said:
More than trophies, I just want a patch that installs the game in one big chunk, rather than splitting it up and constantly swapping.
Agreed, I want a subsistence type version that allows for that because I almost refuse to replay it because of the install after each act.

Arklite

BadWolf said:

Can't wait to replay it.
1261073761115.gif

"This is good....isn't it?"

Salaadin

Id love a version of MGS4 without the separate installs. Id quickly give up 20GBs of HDD space for MGS4.

Arklite said:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/lymonz/Random/1261073761115.gif

We are going to need an HD version of that when the HD collection drops.

Dunk#7 said:

I did it a few months after the game came out. Warning: it's not fun, prepare to restart the fucking hell out of it. The mask you get is kind of worth it.

I just started playing this again. I finished my Hard mode/Foxhound playthrough and I just wrapped up Act 1 in my Big Boss emblem attempt. Doing a speedrun does make it a bit more enjoyable in that you skip the awkward cut scenes but you also miss the good ones and soaking up the nostalgia in Act 4.

Also, I've been playing some MGO and mostly been getting my ass kicked. I finally levelled up enough for automatching to find other players and I played on some maps I'd never been on before (IIRC Icy Inferno, Forest Firefight and Virtuous Vista). Are these DLC maps that I can play on in automatching but not in free battle for some reason?

I just finished my Big Boss emblem run: 2 hours 55 minutes, although I did use the loading glitch at the start of Act 3 (because fuck that resistance member for wasting my time) so my actual time is a little longer.

I don't think I'll ever get all the emblems, especially without an extra incentive like trophies, but if I do decide to play through again I think I'll do a chicken run so I can mess around and waste time which should be fun after doing two speed runs.

rvy said:
And I can't wait to read your posts after.
Do you think replaying the game hurts it? I sure do. It made me realize how short the first two acts are. In the third act I tried to just skip the follow the skittish AI part and well that did not end well. Replaying the next two acts did not help as well. Yeah replaying the game really made me realize how much I disliked the game.

rvy

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Do you think replaying the game hurts it? I sure do. It made me realize how short the first two acts are. During my replay I tried to just skip the follow the skittish AI part and well that did not end well. Replaying the next two acts did not help as well. Yeah replaying the game really made me realize how much I disliked the game.
It seems to be the trend for a lot of people. Myself not included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom