• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spec Ops: The Line |OT| Apocalypse Whenever - Starring Nolan North

How's the image quality on consoles? Yeah, I should probably play the demo, but I'd rather buy the game at this point.

I'm playing it on the PC. The environments look amazing, character models look good. No complaints on my end.

Yeah, I'm loving the soundtrack as well. Really like the music that plays during some of the fights over the radio.

Yeah I love it. Really cool song selection. What's the second licensed track that plays after "Hush" . . . . it's about 4 to 5 chapters in. Any clue?

hxcmuziq

Banned
I purchased this day 1 because I wanted to support the Dev/Pub for taking a risk. I'd guess I'm about 1/2 way through it. The game has a few cool game play effects, like using environmental destruction to your advantage, and the sandstorm effects. The soundtrack is one of my favorite parts, and the story is good.

It's so good that it makes me wish the game was a little more polished. Sometimes the enemy AI is horrible, and sometimes it all feels waaay too scripted.

I really wished the game had 3 man campaign co-op. The co-op DLC is not going to be enough for me.

If the ending isn't amazing I'm going to feel a little cheated because I have the feeling this is going to on sale very soon.

So I just beat it on the Normal difficulty. I just have to say, shit gets pretty heavy.

The soundtrack is amazing and according to Wikipedia, Josh Homme did most of it, go figure.

*End game spoiler stuff*

I thought it was a little cliched that Konrad was in Walker's head more or less. Mostly as a scapegoat for all the awful shit Walker has done. But I have to say this was done fairly effectively. The last gunfights were completely fucked in my opinion by just throwing everything at the player.I still have yet to wonder how any of my choices effected the ending, I shot Konrad, and dropped my weapon and complied to Army dude after the credits. I am way too lazy to do anymore playthroughs if that means anything

It lacked a bit of creativity. In fact the gameplay in itself lacked any sort of creativity in anyway. Some parts started to drag a bit in the last act.
So yeah maybe a day later after, I'll start thinking less of it, which isn't really a good sign when you think about it. It is indeed a perfect rental unfortunately.

7/10

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I haven't been able to play anymore as my older 1366 board crapped out last night. Ended up buying a new Ivy Bridge setup and spent the rest of the night building it. Didn't even have the chance to install Windows yet.

Was an unexpected expense, but I had a feeling it was coming as the previous motherboard was beginning to act a bit wonky. In the end it was stuck in a bios loop with no keyboard input functioning even with a reset to defaults. I fiddled for a while and got nowhere.

Might see if I can at least get something for the i7 930 CPU that I was using. A used CPU has to be worth SOMETHING right?

I haven't been able to play anymore as my older 1366 board crapped out last night. Ended up buying a new Ivy Bridge setup and spent the rest of the night building it. Didn't even have the chance to install Windows yet.

Was an unexpected expense, but I had a feeling it was coming as the previous motherboard was beginning to act a bit wonky. In the end it was stuck in a bios loop with no keyboard input functioning even with a reset to defaults. I fiddled for a while and got nowhere.

Might see if I can at least get something for the i7 930 CPU that I was using. A used CPU has to be worth SOMETHING right?

It's still an amazing processor, so you should get a decent amount.

codhand

Looks like this turned out much better than I expected. Such a generic and uninspired name though.

Well I'm sure they calculated the name recognition of "Spec Ops" the franchise, it has after all been around a long ass time.

Really shocked it's only 4.5 hours at a slow pace, I was defending it earlier based on the reviews saying it was two hours longer...I stand corrected. Shorter than CoD I can see, maybe, but not without a better MP component.

Playing on PC. Performance seems worse than the demo with lots of slowdown occurring when particles are on screen. Very odd.

Also, aside from FXAA, I see no other way to force any proper AA. nVidia Inspector has an entry for this game but none of the compatibility flags work. :\

Yeah this game needs proper AA badly.

M.W.

Played nothing but MP last night. It's pretty fun. It's also pretty deep. The maps are pretty intricate too. At least give it a try people. I think some of you will enjoy it.

My God, this game's story is the epitome of 'From Bad to Worse', hahaha. I'm not done it yet, but I'm really liking it. Soundtrack's so good. Loved it when Mogwai started to play during a gunfight.

JambiBum

Did you rent it?

Yeah. Although if I can get some people to buy it I will probably do that for the mp. Haven't tried it out yet though. I don't normally give a damn when it comes to making choices in games because they are mostly inconsequential, but this game definitely isn't. They will make you feel like a shitty person depending on what you choose.

Seventy5

Well I'm sure they calculated the name recognition of "Spec Ops" the franchise, it has after all been around a long ass time.

Really shocked it's only 4.5 hours at a slow pace, I was defending it earlier based on the reviews saying it was two hours longer...I stand corrected. Shorter than CoD I can see, maybe, but not without a better MP component.
I don't understand how people finished that quick. I played a couple hours yesterday and aboutfive hours today and I'm right at the end. I only spent maybe 15 minutes total from dying too. Maybe I suck, but I don't think I do. Awesome game though, I'm suprised I've enjoyed it as much as I have.

Lima

They will make you feel like a shitty person depending on what you choose.

Yeah

Chapter 8 spoiler

Holy shit man. When you walk through that camp after you bombarded it with white phosphor. All these people and how they looked...

Never before has a dude bro shooter actually touched me. Good stuff.

JaxJag

Banned
Yeah, chapter 8 grabs you more emotionally than any Call of Duty game.

I'm really impressed, I hope the game is at least a mild success.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hows the game run on PS3? Been playing a lot of RPGS and I'm gettin frothy at the mouth for a shooter.

Demo ran fine. Looking into this since I'm in the mood for a shooter but I'd like something with a decent story. Not sure I want to pay $60 though.

Seventy5

Hows the game run on PS3? Been playing a lot of RPGS and I'm gettin frothy at the mouth for a shooter.
It ran fine to me. I finished it earlier tonight, and I don't recall any issues with it.

So how is the MP so far?
It's pretty amusing, just wish there was another mp mode or two. DM and TDM are both fun, and they have this unique mode called Buried that is kind of fun. I had more fun with it than I did with MW3.

Damn.

Usually I try to let myself slip away and completely immerse myself in a game's world, at least for a time. Outside of a rare few titles its usually not worth it, and most others manage to get in the way of their own immersion.

This is the first game in a long while where I've found myself to be the one putting up barriers.

Voiceover work and the soundtrack are stellar, as well as some of the lighting and color filter effects. Controls took me a while to get used to, but I'm now a few hours in and most everything feels second nature. Thanks for making vault and cover two separate buttons! I can't count how many times I vaulted right into enemy fire in Ghost Recon FS, so yeah that little touch is appreciated.

Now its time to take a break - and go back into the rabbit hole in a day or two.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, if anyone is playing on the PC, I've fiddled enough with the game to determine how best to play it.

It's really a messy port at this point.

First and foremost, I can only speak for nVidia owners, but DO NOT use the latest 301.48 beta drivers. Drop back to the 301.42 official drivers. I finished building my new machine last night and started off with the beta drivers only to find that Spec Ops was full of constant microstutters. As this was a new build I was left wondering what was going on and started blaming Virtu MVP and other potential issue with Ivy Bridge. After more testing I realize that only Spec Ops had any issues so I dropped back to 301.42 to find that the stuttering had been eliminated. It was those drivers all along.

Specific to Spec Ops, however, is the fact that you MUST delete the config files for this game each and every time you start the game. This has been reported elsewhere but I can't stress this enough.

When I start the game with a clean config I see a perfect 60 fps without any hiccups or drops occurring. If you exit the game and then restart, however, your performance will take a MASSIVE hit. I was using the first cutscene and gameplay sequence following the introduction turret bit and found that I was dropping all the way down to 36 fps during this segment. If you delete the config file under "My Games/Spec Ops...", however, you will once again experience perfect performance.

This is why I saw a discrepancy between the demo and full game. I started the demo and just played with no issues. With the full game I started up, realized there were no AA options (title screen reveals this), and then exited to enable FXAA. So when I fired it up a second time that was the first time I had actually started playing the full game and found the performance to be quite poor.

So, yeah, at the moment you'll need to do this each and every time you run the game else your framerate will drop significantly regardless of hardware.

Grisby

Cool at the PS3 comments. I might buy it later today. Could be a good companion piece with Kingdoms of Amalur right now.

Edit- For curiosities sake what's the install size?

Drewfonse

For those of you who have beaten it, or are close to beating it, can you see yourself replaying the game in order to make different choices and see alternate endings? For a game this short, I would want to play it at least twice in order to feel like I got my money's worth. The game does change up a bit based on your choices, right?

Seventy5

Cool at the PS3 comments. I might buy it later today. Could be a good companion piece with Kingdoms of Amalur right now.

Edit- For curiosities sake what's the install size?
1.34Gb install.

For those of you who have beaten it, or are close to beating it, can you see yourself replaying the game in order to make different choices and see alternate endings? For a game this short, I would want to play it at least twice in order to feel like I got my money's worth. The game does change up a bit based on your choices, right?
I am definitely going to go back through it to make the other choices, and also because I really enjoyed it. The game is pretty intense, gameplay wise, and I felt like it was a good challenge. I honestly don't even know if I could complete it on FUBAR mode lol. I will probably hang on to it instead of trading it tbh, in hopes that the online community sticks around.

Drewfonse

1.34Gb install.

I am definitely going to go back through it to make the other choices, and also because I really enjoyed it. The game is pretty intense, gameplay wise, and I felt like it was a good challenge. I honestly don't even know if I could complete it on FUBAR mode lol. I will probably hang on to it instead of trading it tbh, in hopes that the online community sticks around.

Cool. Are you enjoying the online? Most of the reviews that I've read/watched have made it seeking of an afterthought.

S1kkZ

played 2 hours so far (360) and i really like it. atmosphere and setting are great, game feels pretty "adult" compared to other shooter campaigns.

Lima

Yeah I'm going for another playthrough with different choices on FUBAR. 1000 is pretty easy since they decided to not include MP achievements, which is always nice.

Seventy5

Cool. Are you enjoying the online? Most of the reviews that I've read/watched have made it seeking of an afterthought.
I'm enjoying it so far, though I wish there was a CTF and/or domination type mode in it. I bought this two days after I got Max Payne 3, and I like the MP more in Spec Ops, if only because the maps in MP3 seems to be too cluttered and you get stuck on geometry too much. It's cool for just straight DM and TDM, and survival DM/TDM. The Buried mode is kind of cool. I'm waiting to see what they do with the co-op dlc. If it's horde mode, I'm definitely in.

S1kkZ

holy fuck at this game. i dont know if i fucked up bigtime or if its part of the story, but that was really powerful.

if you are sick of the stupid story stuff in cod, medal of honor and so on, play this game!

Lima

Finished it today on suicide and immediately started my playthrough on FUBAR. Holy shit at that ending.

shyamalan what a twist.

i was going to wait for a price drop but decided to grab this today, in the mood for something new. i never play the multiplayer first in any game but decided to with this. I really like it so far, it gives me that Socom feel from the ps2 days. not sure why most reviews say the MP is an afterthought?

lobby counter needs to be shorter and needs host migration, i got disconnected mid match 3 times in a little over an hour

*also wish it was 6v6 or 8v8......4v4 is a little low, maybe they could add a large team deathmatch playlist or something?

Grisby

Oh man, played an hour or two and got past a few set pieces. Like the shooting but man the game stutters in sections like mad on the PS3. Hope the game starts to run better later on.

I wish this game was getting more attention because it has one of the more unique storylines I've ever experienced in a shooter, let alone games in general.

gdt

I wish this game was getting more attention because it has one of the more unique storylines I've ever experienced in a shooter, let alone games in general.

It will get a ton of attention in a few days. It'll be on sale at Amazon for $25, pc version.

S1kkZ

Oh man, played an hour or two and got past a few set pieces. Like the shooting but man the game stutters in sections like mad on the PS3. Hope the game starts to run better later on.

that really sucks. 360 version runs fine, in some scenes the framerate goes down a bit (only lasts a few seconds but its noticable).

JaxJag

Banned
The ending I got in Spec Ops is one of the best endings I've seen in a video game. I thoroughly enjoyed it, feel a little guilty for renting and not buying this one.

Top Bottom